Forum Settings
Forums
#1
May 20, 2012 4:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 105
As I finish reading through all the novels again, I thought it only fitting that I create individual topic discussions for each volume entry. The Rolling Bootlegs happens to be the very first novel in the Baccano! series.

Absolutely adored this novel, the anime adaptation didn't leave much out but it did miss little minor details that would have made the onscreen experience much more enjoyable.
.

Overall the novel itself was written very well. I especially love those FiroXEnnis moments and the brief conversation excerpts Narita has with his own character Firo in a New York City bar.
 
#2
Oct 5, 2012 12:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 199
Wait. what. huge role as an Antagonist? O.o WWHHEEEENN!?
 
#3
Oct 18, 2012 5:57 PM
Manga Moderator
Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2791
I wouldn't count him as an antagonist as while he certainly causes a lot of problems for Firo in the 1930's in his attempts to cause grief for Huey,

It really sucks that the anime cut him out though since he's the one character in the series that hates all the chaos and tries to make things orderly despite the universe laughing in his face all the time. His job in the FBI also explains why none of the immortals are captured by the US government and like experimented on or something since he takes care of all their paper work.
 
#4
Jan 22, 2015 4:51 PM
News Team
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 85501
I guess he is more like one of those tweeners that just goes looking for his own ways. And as for this first novel, it was quite informative and I liked the majority of the dialogues and narrative. Very creative tart. Looking forward to reading the remaining novels!
 
#5
Feb 8, 2015 12:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 181
Victor was in the anime and even had lines, during ship episode, though he wasn't named. And Ido believe it showed him during the where are they now episode epilogue at the end of episode 7. Hell, even Beeg got a scene despite his connection to the runnoratas and Czes being left out completely and having no lines or name.
 
#6
Apr 18, 2015 11:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 39
ZanathKariashi said:
Hell, even Beeg got a scene despite his connection to the runnoratas and Czes being left out completely and having no lines or name.


Actually, Czes' connection to the Runnoratas is hinted at in the anime. The big, loud lackey mentions getting in some new explosives are something like that, and of course, it's revealed that Czes is transporting none other than explosives.
 
#7
May 15, 5:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Who was Victor Talbot in the first novel? I just read the official English release and don't recall reading the name.
 
#8
May 15, 6:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4110
Rhys2753 said:
Who was Victor Talbot in the first novel? I just read the official English release and don't recall reading the name.

A character that will get more important later on. Keep reading, you will encounter him :).
 
#9
May 15, 6:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 102
Zefyris said:
Rhys2753 said:
Who was Victor Talbot in the first novel? I just read the official English release and don't recall reading the name.

A character that will get more important later on. Keep reading, you will encounter him :).


But if he's supposed to have been in the first novel that I just finished, where was he mentioned? (In case Yen Press gave him a different name like Pecho/Pezzo)

EDIT: Scratch that, the 2 FBI agents mentioned him. You guys weren't kidding about brief, here I was thinking you were referring to Edward Noah or something.
Modified by Rhys2753, May 15, 7:01 PM
 
May 16, 3:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 4110
Rhys2753 said:
Zefyris said:

A character that will get more important later on. Keep reading, you will encounter him :).


But if he's supposed to have been in the first novel that I just finished, where was he mentioned? (In case Yen Press gave him a different name like Pecho/Pezzo)

EDIT: Scratch that, the 2 FBI agents mentioned him. You guys weren't kidding about brief, here I was thinking you were referring to Edward Noah or something.

Oh, that.
Yes, that's the only thing about victor Talbot in the first novel indeed.
 
May 27, 10:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (sorry if it isn't), but seeing as this is the discussion about the first volume and seems to be recently active. I figure this is the best place to have my question answered timely. So anyways I picked up the first volume of Baccano! and obviously want record my reading of Baccano! on MAL. But I am not sure how to record the chapters. There are the 3 main chapters, but also 2 epilogues and a prologue that, all together covering roughly 32 pages. I feel that individually they aren't enought to be given their own chapters. But I also feel like it adds enough to the story to not be ignored. So I am not sure as to how to count the prologue and epilogues and was wandering how other readers have counted them?

Thank you for your feedback.
 
May 27, 10:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 181
well..usually a manga/anime you read/watch in pieces since it comes out a little at a time, but a novel you generally read all at once since it's a complete story, so it's more likely that everyone will be on the same page with regard to the content when you say you're reviewing book 1.

IMO, you could just do a long post split into parts on your thoughts of each of section, since they're distinct enough that it does help to discuss each portion.
 
Jun 3, 6:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 102
RM_MXDJ said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (sorry if it isn't), but seeing as this is the discussion about the first volume and seems to be recently active. I figure this is the best place to have my question answered timely. So anyways I picked up the first volume of Baccano! and obviously want record my reading of Baccano! on MAL. But I am not sure how to record the chapters. There are the 3 main chapters, but also 2 epilogues and a prologue that, all together covering roughly 32 pages. I feel that individually they aren't enought to be given their own chapters. But I also feel like it adds enough to the story to not be ignored. So I am not sure as to how to count the prologue and epilogues and was wandering how other readers have counted them?

Thank you for your feedback.


If prologues/epilogues exceeds 5 pages of content, it counts as a chapter, so volume 1 has 6 chapters total

EDIT: that 5 page rule is for bonus chapters in manga, got them mixed up, but yeah, for novels all prologues/epilogues count as chapters
Modified by Rhys2753, Jun 4, 12:21 AM
 
Jun 4, 7:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Thank you Rhys2753.