Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 20, 2012 4:06 PM
Mar 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ep 4 aired with a total shoujo manga vibe and Okada classic shoujo angst.
We're introduced the last 2 member of AKB0048 trainees, Mimori and Kanata, Sonata's sister, who joined the group before the other girls so they're the seniors

Kanata's angst provide the drama for this episode.
So apparently the entertainment ban, DES, is serious.....:P
What I like is the "Cursed Generation" It make things more realistic because in the real AKB, many girls work hard but they don't stand out enough to get notice and remain unpopular.

Slower pace episode that changed up from the faster pace couple last eps. It give more info on AKB48/AKB0048. Sonata is adorable~~~~ :D

-----------------------------------

Songs played during the ep -

Lemon no toshigoro

Heavy Rotation

One of AKB48's most famous song, top karaoke choice for 45 weeks in a row. FYI, despite what people/westerners think about about the "controversial video", it actually gathered the more fangirls than other releases to the AKB48 fandom and there wasn't a big deal made about it, unlike their other Beginner video that was banned due to "violence" contents so keep an open mind because the female producer of the video was aiming to attract both female and male fans The truth behind Heavy Rotation

Shonichi

akbfanMay 21, 2012 11:41 AM
May 20, 2012 8:13 PM

Feb 2008
I knew it from the beginner entertaiment ban was for real, but what I don't get it that they take it that seriously.
Last episode I wonder were the other 2 under trainers.

You are not the only one that think Sonata is adorable, this is just the beginning of the harsh training. :)

Kanada is there for revenge, of course there is no way to get promote to regular member, thought 2 of us there were too short.

Chieri know that Nagisa got idol potential in her.

I can't wait for the next episode
BlackbirdMay 20, 2012 8:17 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

May 20, 2012 8:26 PM
Jul 2009
Blackbird said:
Chieri know that Nagisa got idol potential in her.

Chieri just commented that Kanata was skilled in dancing and singing (almost at the level of the actual members) but also said that besides skills you also need to get the idol "shine" in order to become members.

Anyway, I don't remember Chieri saying that Nagisa's got potential. Care to point out when she said that?

On a related note, the dancing instructor seems to think that Chieri has potential, since he picked her to replace Kanata for the practice!
May 20, 2012 9:25 PM
Mar 2012
Blackbird said:
I knew it from the beginner entertaiment ban was for real, but what I don't get it that they take it that seriously.

according to some online summary of the storyline, it's because music distract people but looking at the...shinto shrine in AKB planet, there have to be some bigger reason.

Chieri and the seniors are the most likely candidates for the front gir NOWl but Nagisa is the real main so she'll rise up and take over the group. It's similar to the situation of Maeda Atsuko who's Nagisa is based off. Despite her being normal, average, nothing that stand out about her, hating standing at the front of the group, even cried on stage asking why someone that isn't good at dancing or singing is being promoted over the others at 14 yrs old but Acchan became AKB48's ace and one of the most popular member
akbfanMay 20, 2012 9:29 PM
May 20, 2012 11:25 PM
Jul 2009
akbfan said:
Chieri and the seniors are the most likely candidates for the front gir NOWl but Nagisa is the real main so she'll rise up and take over the group.

The opening shows a double center formation though, with both Nagisa and Chieri as center, so maybe we will see something like that in the series instead of the more typical one-center formation.

Other than that, I expect Chieri to succeed Takamina. There is an article on Newtype hinting that.
May 21, 2012 12:34 AM

Sep 2009
> Anyway, I don't remember Chieri saying that Nagisa's got potential. Care to point out when she said that?

She never said it directly to Nagisa but she was bothered after finfding that Kirara shines than it senses "idol aura'. He had this reaction on Nagisa but not on Chiery herself yet. And you probably just don't see the hints. Most of scenes in last 2 eps has this feeling that Chiery envies Nagisa because her better fitting to became an idol.
Nachtwandler_21May 21, 2012 5:05 AM
May 21, 2012 12:44 AM
Jul 2009
Nachtwandler_21 said:
She never said it directly to Nagisa but she was bothered after finfding that Kirara shines than it senses "idol aura'. He had this reaction on Nagisa but not on Chiery herself yet. And you probably just don't see the hints. Most of scenes in last 2 eps has this filling that CVHiery envies Nagisa because her better fitting to became an idol.

Well, Chieri does think kirara shone because of Nagisa, and she feels insecure about it because it didn't shine with her. I see that, I'm not stupid....

BUT, I can see there are hints that kirara actually shone because both Nagisa and Chieri were together. Chieri hasn't noticed this, so she thinks it's all because of Nagisa and that's why she's depressed, but I think we're in for a twist here, specially with the series' heavy focus on team work, and the mystery of why kirara followed Chieri all this time still hanging on us.

1idd0kunMay 21, 2012 12:50 AM
May 21, 2012 2:22 AM

Feb 2008
You probably right with that, when Nagisa and Chieri is together both of them can shine, maybe kirara felt something about Chieri.
So far we only seen the kirara shining when they were together, with this little hint we won't know for sure.
First time was when there watching AKB for the first time, 2nd was with when they were on they way on the audition.

When the serie progness Nagisa & Chieri will be the center, that's predictable for sure.
The story progness not too slow or not too fast, so it's great but I can't wait for the next episode.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

May 21, 2012 3:11 AM

Aug 2010
I really liked the animation for the city. I think it looks pretty cool.
May 21, 2012 4:23 AM

Aug 2011
Gawd that episode went by fast. I couldn't believe it when the ED began. Over already? :( Now for the week-wait cycle to begin anew.

Felt sorry for Kanata and Mimori in the beginning. They sure as hell weren't bad at all.

Nagisa dream WOOOH NAGISA.

WTF's up with the dance instructor? Can anyone tell if it's supposed to be a dude or a chick? It looks like a chick but sounds like a dude.

I like how Chieri's mere presence tends to stir things up (in a bad way). I'm looking forward to finding out more about her.

MORE FORESHADOWING MOMENTS. (Also, I'm sure Sonata's "determination" isn't the real reason the director decided to let her stay.)

I like Kanata's (and Sonata's) back story, although I would've liked it better had they not introduced Kanata AND revealed her back story in the same episode. It would've left something to build toward and look forward to. Oh well. At least she still has some development to do.

I just liked the drama in general this episode. More characters getting fleshed out is also a major plus. Keep it up.
May 21, 2012 5:10 AM

Sep 2009
@1idd0kun

I agree with this. But you argued with phrase "Chieri know that Nagisa got idol potential in her." so I just put arguments that Chiyori really thinks that Nagisa is more fitting to become an idol.
May 21, 2012 6:16 AM

Jan 2012
Great episode. I'm glad Sonata and her sis made up in the end. Some drama in the episode, about Kanata's background, fathers death.

May 21, 2012 7:28 AM

Oct 2011
ok I started to accept that horrible CGI as part of climate of the series
so it's fine now

still bit of problems with their voices - is it only me or they sound a bit older than they should?

but whatever
drama is still a bit forced here - but it gets better plus added interaction of characters
it may work in the future if they don't make it shallow or go into traditional - I have crisis so I quit situation (Chieri looks like candidate for it).

it's getting better that's positive
May 21, 2012 7:53 AM

Jun 2008
Dalek-baka said:
still bit of problems with their voices - is it only me or they sound a bit older than they should?

Well, most of the AKB girls who voiced the main characters(trainess) are not Voice actors so that's understandable when comparing to the voice actors that does the voices for the AKB0048 members.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
May 21, 2012 7:58 AM

May 2012
More evidence that Chieri's going to cause some problems. I never thought of that angle of the kirara only shining because of their teamwork, but looking back that actually seems pretty likely.

Loved the episode, and this is my favorite show of the season for sure ~

Them both being center does seem pretty likely as well.

And, I always knew DES was serious. It was pretty obvious I'd say. I was confused why people thought that they weren't serious. Yes, they didn't try and kill the fans, but that's because those 'fans' are taxpayers and assets to the economy. They'd rather take the chance on re-educating them I'm sure. The real problem is the idols who definitely don't agree with things as they are.
May 21, 2012 8:39 AM

Aug 2010
kaimax said:
Dalek-baka said:

Well, most of the AKB girls who voiced the main characters(trainess) are not Voice actors so that's understandable when comparing to the voice actors that does the voices for the AKB0048 members.

Basically this. SOme girls may have a bit of of experience already (the VA for Yuuka and Orine for example), but most haven't. Also, I think not everyone can just whip out a good loli-voice, training and experience or not.

On a side note, they are probably closer to "real" kids at that age now, voice-wise. I remember how confused I was when Rin in Usagi Drop didn't sound loli-like... and then found out her VA was a REAL little girl.

On a side note, Sonata is still as adorable as a kitten. And half-awake (more like 1/4-awake) Chieri stumbling out of the room.... too cute
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
May 21, 2012 8:59 AM
Mar 2012
1idd0kun said:
akbfan said:
Chieri and the seniors are the most likely candidates for the front gir NOWl but Nagisa is the real main so she'll rise up and take over the group.

The opening shows a double center formation though, with both Nagisa and Chieri as center, so maybe we will see something like that in the series instead of the more typical one-center formation.

Other than that, I expect Chieri to succeed Takamina. There is an article on Newtype hinting that.

I seen it but Kanata give off a Takamina vibe. They even gave her Takamina signature hairstyle and beside her drama this ep, she seem like a strong character so we'll have to wait.

Anyway right now Chieri seem to be the group's problem..I thought she got better after the Modern Warfare training but I guess not
May 21, 2012 11:18 AM

May 2012
I completely and thoroughly enjoyed this episode of AKB0048. I was a bit skeptical at first, watching something from the Idol genre, especially after Symphogear, but this has proved to be something amazing.

I was pleased that the pacing has slowed down since the first three episodes. They were all amazing, but I feel like the last two might have fared better as three episodes. A personal gripe, though.

I loved getting a bit more back story and learning the reason Sonata decided to try and join AKB0048. I feel like at this point, with a lot of the action covered, it's going to show a bit more of the industry, which is an approach I am more than happy to see.

I am really looking forward to what this show has for the next nine episodes, and I know for a fact it's going to be one of my favorites.
May 21, 2012 12:25 PM
Jul 2009
akbfan said:
Anyway right now Chieri seem to be the group's problem..I thought she got better after the Modern Warfare training but I guess not

That's not gonna happen so easily. Her backstory is probably the most complex out of all the characters, which is the reason we haven't seen it yet, and her development will probably be slow paced.

The main reason I think she's going to be appointed as captain is that having the responsibility of looking out for her team-mates will probably help her to get over her insecurities and mature.
1idd0kunMay 21, 2012 12:28 PM
May 21, 2012 12:27 PM

Aug 2011
Wordsmith said:
kaimax said:
Dalek-baka said:
Basically this. SOme girls may have a bit of of experience already (the VA for Yuuka and Orine for example), but most haven't. Also, I think not everyone can just whip out a good loli-voice, training and experience or not.

On a side note, they are probably closer to "real" kids at that age now, voice-wise. I remember how confused I was when Rin in Usagi Drop didn't sound loli-like... and then found out her VA was a REAL little girl.
Please don't tell me you're saying it's a problem that they sound like real girls and not lolis, because that'd be completely hilarious and retarded.

Also, WTF would you expect Rin to sound like a loli in the first place?
KvakondMay 25, 2012 9:07 AM
May 21, 2012 1:01 PM

Oct 2011
I have a feeling Nagisa's going to be Acchan's successor. I'm not sure why but she seems like the down-to-earth girl next door.

I loved this episode, it wasn't as action packed but I loved all the angst in it. Kanata's a really nice character, I hope she and Mimori get to be successors one day too. Sonata is still the most adorable person ever, can't wait for the next episode~
May 21, 2012 1:14 PM

Feb 2012
What the hell was wrong with Chieri not accepting the front position and saying she would like to learn from the more experienced members? I don't see a problem in that if she meant Kanata and that was the case for me.

The drama is a bit exaggerated but I still enjoy it, Sonata is great. Who is the catalyst, Chieri? I didn't expect her to be that sleepy in the morning, it was funny.

I hate Suzuko, I really don't like her and please stop with the terrible CG scenes.
May 21, 2012 1:21 PM
Mar 2012
Zhou said:
What the hell was wrong with Chieri not accepting the front position and saying she would like to learn from the more experienced members? I don't see a problem in that if she meant Kanata and that was the case for me.

The drama is a bit exaggerated but I still enjoy it, Sonata is great. Who is the catalyst, Chieri? I didn't expect her to be that sleepy in the morning, it was funny.

I hate Suzuko, I really don't like her and please stop with the terrible CG scenes.

it was like "we're suppose to learn from you seniors so get your acts together" and that hit Kanata hard since she's screwing up.
May 21, 2012 1:24 PM

Aug 2010
DraconisMarch said:
Please don't tell me you're saying it's a problem that they sound like real girls and not lolis, because that'd be completely hilarious and retarded.

Also, WTF would you expect Rin to sound like a loli in the first place?

I didn't say it was a problem, I said I was confused because I expected Rin to sound like an anime loli because she IS an anime loli. And then I had to laugh at the whole situation, that a real loli sounds less like a loli than some 20+ yo girl with a high pitched "loli" voice, at least in anime.

Oh, and Rin's VA did a good job in making Rin likable and believable. I just had expected her to sound more like Hina from papakiki (and boy, I'm glad she doesn't sound like that)
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
May 21, 2012 1:30 PM
Jul 2009
Zhou said:

I agree.

Zhou said:
Who is the catalyst, Chieri? .

Yes, because she has what it takes to push things out of the status quo. She needs to learn to have a little more tact, but I can see captain material in her already.
May 21, 2012 1:40 PM

Aug 2011
Wordsmith said:
I didn't say it was a problem, I said I was confused because I expected Rin to sound like an anime loli because she IS an anime loli. And then I had to laugh at the whole situation, that a real loli sounds less like a loli than some 20+ yo girl with a high pitched "loli" voice, at least in anime.

Oh, and Rin's VA did a good job in making Rin likable and believable. I just had expected her to sound more like Hina from papakiki (and boy, I'm glad she doesn't sound like that)
Wait. So you're saying that every loli in anime is automatically there to be pedo bait? It's weird to you that there are lolis who aren't?

I know a lot of lolis are designed to appeal to pedos (in voice and appearance), but that doesn't mean all young girl characters are designed to be fanservice.

FYI, "real lolis" are called "young girls."
May 21, 2012 1:43 PM

Aug 2010
DraconisMarch said:
Wordsmith said:

Wait. So you're saying that every loli in anime is automatically there to be pedo bait? It's weird to you that there are lolis who aren't?

I know a lot of lolis are designed to appeal to pedos (in voice and appearance), but that doesn't mean all young girl characters are designed to be fanservice.

FYI, "real lolis" are called "young girls."

Oh, just shut up, will ya?
May 21, 2012 1:52 PM

Dec 2011
Kanata is really determined to avenger her father. I respect that she is protective of her sister, but she needs to let Sonata live her life.

Chieri needs to cool her attitude.
May 21, 2012 4:03 PM

Aug 2011
Wordsmith said:
Oh, just shut up, will ya?
Nice response.
May 21, 2012 4:42 PM

May 2012
While that comment of Chieri's might seem innocent enough, she was just calling out Kanata for how bad she was doing and shoving it in her face even further. Chieri even admits to pulling a jerk move when she's talking with nagisa.
May 21, 2012 4:56 PM
Jul 2009
vampko said:
While that comment of Chieri's might seem innocent enough, she was just calling out Kanata for how bad she was doing and shoving it in her face even further. Chieri even admits to pulling a jerk move when she's talking with nagisa.

She doesn't admit anything like that. Even the instructor thought that Kanata needed that push. Chieri might have lacked tact, but she did what it needed to be done.
May 21, 2012 5:30 PM

May 2012
1idd0kun said:
vampko said:

She doesn't admit anything like that. Even the instructor thought that Kanata needed that push. Chieri might have lacked tact, but she did what it needed to be done.

I agree. Sometimes jerk moves are needed to get people to realize how silly they're being.

It was still a jerk move though.
May 22, 2012 1:37 AM

May 2010
This episode is better than I expected but I still find the whole thing about the Akb48 vs anti entertainment forces is really weird !!
May 22, 2012 1:46 AM

Nov 2009
The CG is still a huge put off for me but I have to admit that it managed to portray the difference between the real members and understudies brilliantly in the first part.

Kanata's situation wasn't that interesting for me and dialogue very often felt cheesy and unnatural to me. And I really have no idea why people got so offended when Chieri refused to replace Kanata's position when they were practicing. I don't think she said anything that would cause such a reaction. It seemed like a good act of respect towards elders to me.

Anyway, the best thing about this show is the ending song. I'm trying to enjoy it overall but the show isn't making that very easy for me.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
May 22, 2012 3:14 AM

Apr 2011
Chieri is so honest with herself, that she offends the other girls. She has a potential to be the lead, captain, or the center seeing she is labeled as the catalyst of the group. But I'm waiting for Nagisa to actually show her potential and shine as an idol.
May 22, 2012 9:24 AM
Mar 2012
basmimarsinan said:
The CG is still a huge put off for me but I have to admit that it managed to portray the difference between the real members and understudies brilliantly in the first part.

Kanata's situation wasn't that interesting for me and dialogue very often felt cheesy and unnatural to me. And I really have no idea why people got so offended when Chieri refused to replace Kanata's position when they were practicing. I don't think she said anything that would cause such a reaction. It seemed like a good act of respect towards elders to me.

Anyway, the best thing about this show is the ending song. I'm trying to enjoy it overall but the show isn't making that very easy for me.

Chieri comment was backhanded.
She praised Kanata but actually putting her down.
What she said was just along the line of "We're suppose to be learning from the seniors who are more experienced so get your damn acts together"
May 22, 2012 11:45 AM
Oct 2009
Am I the only one who was surprised when the dance instructor talked? O_O"
ExecRoryMay 22, 2012 11:50 AM
May 22, 2012 12:31 PM

Jan 2011
GensoAsch said:
Am I the only one who was surprised when the dance instructor talked? O_O"

No you weren't, I was surprised too.

Nice episode, it got emotional again.
I got sick of the CGI once more, it's so ugly.
The dance instruction apparently is a male...
I'm looking forward to the next episode, I want more stuff to happen.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 22, 2012 12:56 PM

May 2009
Does anyone know why we don't see Maeda Atsuko anymore in the show now?
May 22, 2012 1:02 PM
Sep 2007
Blaster-- said:

Well they mentioned that she graduated from the group, so their center position is open yet not one is filling it. So I guess we may not see her.

Also from what I'm understanding, none of the AKB48 are actually the Akb we know 2day. I mean they're all girls who join AKB and then decide which person is best for them to become. In this ep they were talking about all the Yuko's and Maeda Atsuko's they had over the years. So does that mean the main characters now will eventually be taking up the Original AKB48 member's names???
May 22, 2012 1:30 PM
Mar 2012
kira-factor said:
Blaster-- said:

Well they mentioned that she graduated from the group, so their center position is open yet not one is filling it. So I guess we may not see her.

Also from what I'm understanding, none of the AKB48 are actually the Akb we know 2day. I mean they're all girls who join AKB and then decide which person is best for them to become. In this ep they were talking about all the Yuko's and Maeda Atsuko's they had over the years. So does that mean the main characters now will eventually be taking up the Original AKB48 member's names???

Yeah it's according to the shumei system
The student take on the name of their teacher, in this case, the "teachers" are the original AKB members, everyone else after that take after their name, so the Yuko and the Mayuyu now aren't the real Yuko and Mayuyu from the real AKB48, since the group existed in the 21 century while this story took place couple of thousand yrs in the future. They're just successors of the original AKB.

there's actually info about it on the website and they use the word "shumei" during the anime so i guess it might be confusing for fans that don't know japanese.
May 22, 2012 2:27 PM

May 2009
Oh yeah, I understand that, but I thought it was strange to see all the "old" members 4 years later, except for Maeda Atsuko, who is also in the opening (and who has a great charadesign).
May 23, 2012 2:59 AM

Feb 2012
Eve Taku made some translation notes for people that were confused like me.

http://evetaku.com/blog/2012/05/a-discussion-aid/#more-5365
May 23, 2012 2:27 PM
Jul 2009
Zhou said:

The part about what Chieri said is more personal opinion than translation notes though. It really doesn't help much.
May 23, 2012 2:40 PM
Mar 2012
1idd0kun said:
Zhou said:

The part about what Chieri said is more personal opinion than translation notes though. It really doesn't help much.

No it's not personal opinion. He's clarifying to fix up the misunderstanding on the sub.
May 23, 2012 4:55 PM
Jul 2009
akbfan said:
No it's not personal opinion. He's clarifying to fix up the misunderstanding on the sub.

There's no way to tell for sure that what Chieri said was a backhanded comment. I do think it was, but that's my interpretation (opinion) based on the general mood of the scene. The translator has no way to be 100% sure about this either, so what he wrote there was his interpretation/opinion on the scene.
1idd0kunMay 23, 2012 5:04 PM
May 23, 2012 10:27 PM

Feb 2011
Why, hello there, -not-Alto dance lesson sensei!
May 24, 2012 2:14 AM

Aug 2011
HarunoYume said:
Why, hello there, -not-Alto dance lesson sensei!
Its name is Tranny-sensei. It says so on its hat.
May 24, 2012 4:46 PM

May 2011
Aww I felt pretty bad for Kanata and Mimori with them being the only two left from their generation. Reason for Kanata not being a successor is pretty obvious I guess, she really has to enjoy the singing and dancing more and not just focus on revenge. Gotta feel for her story though.

Chieri's really gotta loosen up and be more social lol shes being too serious and stuffs. Aw Orine and Yuuka are in a different dorm from Nagisa.
May 25, 2012 6:43 AM

May 2012
ZeroZx said:
Aww I felt pretty bad for Kanata and Mimori with them being the only two left from their generation. Reason for Kanata not being a successor is pretty obvious I guess, she really has to enjoy the singing and dancing more and not just focus on revenge. Gotta feel for her story though.

Chieri's really gotta loosen up and be more social lol shes being too serious and stuffs. Aw Orine and Yuuka are in a different dorm from Nagisa.

But she gets to be with Chieri!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jun 24, 2012

80 by povsuduvolosy »»
Sep 3, 2022 2:49 PM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 22, 2012

106 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 11, 2022 1:26 PM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jul 15, 2012

62 by Ashhk »»
May 8, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 11 Discussion

akbfan - Jul 8, 2012

45 by Ashhk »»
May 7, 2021 12:20 PM

Poll: » AKB0048 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

akbfan - Jul 1, 2012

54 by Ashhk »»
May 7, 2021 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.