Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 22, 2012 7:42 PM

Jan 2008
Vizi_Reality said:
Sighed at some comments, guess some people can't appreciate Hyouka just because it is not the type of anime that has "jumping" story type.

I did as well, but then i looked at ratings they gave their anime and understood where they are coming from.

May 22, 2012 7:55 PM

Aug 2010
Houtaro needs to learn from the Tatami Galaxy. There is no rose colored campus life.
May 22, 2012 8:32 PM

Nov 2008
Sekitani's Jun story was sad, and I really loved the mystery. I seriously love Oreki's ability to put clues together and solve everything, and I love the way he is, so I hope he doesn't change too much in the future.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

May 22, 2012 10:08 PM

Apr 2010
EclairHeart said:
One week ago, we have people rambling about how boring this it, thius they missed this episode if they droppef it. This is what they get for their low patience.

Those people would most likely not like it anyway.
May 22, 2012 10:53 PM

Nov 2007
Truly an amazing episode. It is about time people start to appreciate it! Loved all the episodes so far, but this has been the best!

5/5 and bumped my rating to a 9/10
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 22, 2012 11:45 PM
Aug 2010
This isn't gonna be another senseless moe blob male bait is it? There's actually a progressive plot with something going on right? KyoAni makes some of my favorite animes but all of them were adaptations of another work.
May 23, 2012 12:10 AM
Dec 2009
actually liked this episode quite a lot. im a fan of these sorts of mysteries, slice of life :)
tag©.androgynous
May 23, 2012 12:40 AM
Aug 2010
With Tomoya and Sunohara's VA there and the main heroine looking so much like Mio, it kinda feels like Clannad meets K-ON. Still too early to say if this is gonna be any good though but since it is an adaptation, I'm looking forward to it.
May 23, 2012 1:07 AM
Jul 2018
Really interesting episode. I didn't expect a lot of what was revealed in that episode. Got a feeling the mystery isn't completely over yet either. I wonder what will happen from here.
May 23, 2012 1:34 AM

Jul 2008
I feel the mystery was solved to easily. The episode did a good job and making the presentation entertaining, but really? The librarian was there and knows everything? That doesn't even make it a mystery anymore. Just a question to ask her.

I kind of hope this becomes a good slice of life series, because the mysteries are not doing it for me.
May 23, 2012 4:22 AM
Jun 2011
I scream for Ice cream!
May 23, 2012 4:33 AM

Oct 2010
SRCerberus71 said:
SRCerberus71 said:
Yumekichi11 said:

So far from what the sister said first being in Pristina:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pristina
whom after checking it out where it is, no surprise anymore....thieves are common over there. Oh God! The terrible atrocities the minute they know you are foreign. Well yeah you do get mugged there a lot. Even beaten sometimes by corrupted cops there.

As it enchains the sister plans to go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarajevo
now that is Bosnia. Safer but still not stable too much depending where you are. Both of these used to be USSR.>
Its not USSR Its Yugoslavia
I though they were both part of the USSR, not territorial but relational.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 23, 2012 4:57 AM

May 2010
This episode was so nice,esp. that rabbit scene was the best.
May 23, 2012 6:33 AM

Jul 2009
This show is fantastic.
May 23, 2012 7:04 AM

May 2012
GarLogan78 said:
I feel the mystery was solved to easily. The episode did a good job and making the presentation entertaining, but really? The librarian was there and knows everything? That doesn't even make it a mystery anymore. Just a question to ask her.

I kind of hope this becomes a good slice of life series, because the mysteries are not doing it for me.

That's kind of how I feel. The mysteries are really being solved way too easily. They aren't even that gripping of mysteries either so far. One was even made up by Oreki. They give all this ominous foreshadowing, and then it's just some kid got expelled who's now well-off. If someone had died in the fire or something it would have made more sense I think.

When are we ever going to get a mystery anime that has serious mysteries?
May 23, 2012 10:31 AM

Oct 2011
Well, it certainly could have been better. And I think the reason Chitanda criend was kinda stupid. I mean, how the hell could a little kid even understand that anyway? I was kinda disappointed by the conclusion. But I liked the episode anyway. And the ice cream word play was brilliant.
I see dead people.
May 23, 2012 2:41 PM
May 2012
Thought the episode was quite good. From the kanji meanings(ices and candy), I didn't really think of ice cream(since ice cream is written in katakana) and was wondering what's the real meaning to Hyouka. So when they said it was ice cream, I was a bit surprised and then when Oreki said it was a pun, it all fell into place.

Overall, I'm liking this series. Sure, it's not the best and it does remind me of Perfect Crime Club from Bakuman. Guess that's why I'm kinda enjoying it.
May 23, 2012 10:35 PM
Oct 2010
kaarosu_318 said:
Can somebody explain to me about the whole ice cream thing? I really don't get it. Why did such a pun make Chitanda cry?

A pun like this would make anyone cry... heh, other than that, nice episode, expecting more from this story.

But with every new episode, I get more and more interested in watching the daring escapades of Oreki's adventurous sister rather than the main story back home :)
May 24, 2012 2:08 AM

Dec 2011
i dont know why i like this but i do.the music is just right and the animation and facial features of the characters are crisp and lifelike.
May 24, 2012 2:52 AM
Oct 2010
Nintendosoni said:
Well, it certainly could have been better. And I think the reason Chitanda criend was kinda stupid. I mean, how the hell could a little kid even understand that anyway? I was kinda disappointed by the conclusion. But I liked the episode anyway. And the ice cream word play was brilliant.
Maybe she didn't fully understand, being dead while alive is not that easy a concept for a kid, but being abandoned by those around her is.

If not that, her uncle's strong feelings of regret and despair could also have made her cry while leaving quite an impression in her. Kids are usually highly empathic after all.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 24, 2012 10:10 PM
Apr 2009
Good episode, hopeing this is one of the better shows this season.
May 25, 2012 1:20 AM
Mar 2012
Great, much more interesting this time around.
May 25, 2012 5:56 AM

Oct 2010
You have to tell what you feel. Ice cream!!!!!!!
May 25, 2012 11:40 AM
Mar 2011
wakka9ca said:
shanticas said:
I thought that Hyouka only meant for Ice, not ice cream. The more we learn eh?

Hyou = Ice
Ka = dessert

Essentially what ice cream was used to be called, unlike the more used Engrish word aisu kurimu.

baff said:
I said it before (in this thread and in others even back in episode 4) and Ill say it again.

THE ARCH IS NOT OVER!!!!!

Yup. There will be recurring elements from this one coming back in later arcs.

Alright, up to the next book!

That's better. After 4 episodes this show looked uninteresting and boring, this conclusion was quite satisfying. Sekitani Jun was strong after being expelled and everything, how life is unfair and you have to take it head on.

Great episode.
May 25, 2012 11:16 PM

Sep 2008
This was supposed to be the climax of the story and it was extremely boring. I'm going to find this show very difficult to finish considering its 21 episodes.

I may drop it now.
May 25, 2012 11:21 PM

May 2008
I am currently really bored. Meh , storywise its okay, but the main character's lack of energy really makes me wanna sleep. Not that its a bad thing but this show is seriously totally dependent of Mystery, which kinda bores me . I can only hope the Mystery gets deeper.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 26, 2012 6:14 PM

Apr 2012
The real conclusion to Hyouka was a real shocker to me, i did not expect the uncle to be swindled like that, I really do pity him. But I wonder what the future episodes will revolve around??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2012 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
I feel like this shows needs some witty dialogue. Mundane mysteries and such is fine, but when everything feels like flat exposition it's not very interesting. Even the basic deductions of the show "Sherlock" work because of the fast dialogue and charismatic performances, which this is really lacking.
May 26, 2012 6:29 PM
May 2012
Meg-nyan said:
The real conclusion to Hyouka was a real shocker to me, i did not expect the uncle to be swindled like that, I really do pity him. But I wonder what the future episodes will revolve around??

For Eru, this episode is closed. She is now ready to go the funeral of her uncle, after she reminded his word. The real leader of the movement in 45years ago, and the reason why Jun has disappeared are not the matter she can ask Houtaro to solve. I am not sure if she is interested in these issues.

Next "small mystery in the usual days" will be carried to Houtaro. Of couse by Eru :-)
May 27, 2012 3:25 PM

Aug 2011
No OP/ED - dammit why, I bloody love them!

I found the first half really slow and quite boring actually. It wasn't until they met the librarian that the excitement stated.

Ice cream? Mind blowing.
May 29, 2012 7:59 PM
Dec 2008
Can someone help me to recognize the classical song that was playing at the start of this episode.
May 29, 2012 11:04 PM

Oct 2010
That was... really good. I just love how Oreki was trying to figure out whether he wanted a rose-colored life or what. Just, you know, the inner feels and all. =w=

Also, I don't know why, but when I saw 'I scream' on that paper... idk indescribable feelings, man.
[insert awesome signature here]
May 30, 2012 2:33 PM

Jun 2009
Hotarou and Chitanda should just kiss already!
5/5
May 31, 2012 7:49 PM
May 2009
Those analogies
Jun 1, 2012 6:47 PM

Jul 2009
This could have easily been the last episode and the anime would be awesome. What is there to happen now?
Jun 19, 2012 10:07 AM

May 2010
azeriraz said:
That was faster than expected to conclude this arc.... I wonder what's in store for us now

That's what I thought
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 28, 2012 11:25 AM

Nov 2007
Woahhh! Nice revelation!
But I was surprised, they already solved the mystery.. I thought it was the main problem.. wooo! Demo. Nice! Iscream~desune? :D

Hmmmmmnn. I was curious in Chitanda's part.. I like her, demo demo, sometimes, I wonder about her being a top student.. well, whatever!
Jun 28, 2012 9:56 PM

Oct 2008
The art and animation are so beautiful!
But, the story and character interactions are so boring!

I don't know what KyoAni is doing these days...
I've given this 5 episodes to get better.
Jul 21, 2012 7:09 AM

May 2012
All I can say is Chitanda is too cute.
Jul 27, 2012 12:15 AM

May 2012
lol!! feeling like this anime has ended. . . .
[/URL]
Aug 12, 2012 9:24 AM

Aug 2012
Ow it was really nice :o Ice cream= I scream, i really liked it!
But that's right, that the mystrey isn't completely clear and there is the question of Oreki's sister :o
I would never imagine that i'd love this anime that much! XD
And the scene with the rabbit what is eaten is pretty full of emotion! ^^
Aug 26, 2012 9:32 PM

Jun 2008
OMG!!!!
This is the best written anime THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!
Well, at least this well written that doesn't involve giant robots, ninjas,
magical girls, aliens, demons, ghosts, time travel, fanservice, traps or zombies!!
BRILLIANT!!!!
FifthAveSenseiAug 26, 2012 9:41 PM
Too Much ANIME......Not enough LIFETIME!!!!!!
Aug 31, 2012 12:05 PM

Aug 2012
I know it's a little late in the game, but I was on the edge of whether not to watch this series or not. Being a big fan of Detective Conan, and recently coming out of Un-Go, I really couldn't take the idea of what I assumed was "light mysteries" seriously. This episode completely changed my mind, and I am glad I pick this series up.
Sep 25, 2012 2:06 PM

Sep 2011
Well that sure was better than the previous 4 episodes. =p
Oct 9, 2012 1:55 PM

May 2012
Again a rather slow episode oh well let's see what the others bring us!
Oct 16, 2012 5:44 PM

Nov 2009
Slow episode... Not sure why you are looking for a fast paced series in a slice of life... that would be like asking for a ecchi/harem with an actual plot... lol just felt like saying that but yeah seriously don't expect a slice of life to be fast paced seeing as the main point of a slice of life is to literally be a SLICE OF LIFE... not sure about you but my life isn't filled with plot twists at every turn, maybe once every two months I get a gnarly midterm that puts a small dent in my overall life but that is just it, nothing more major than that... Anyways nice episode, glad that the uncle arch was only 5 episodes, was fearing that the mystery would take well over half the series to solve, although new mysteries still might involve her uncle, like where the hell is he? Is he dead or alive? and stuff like that.
Oct 20, 2012 2:56 AM

Aug 2010
I guessed it was "I scream"!! XD

Anyway, looking at Houtarou being so anxious (he shook his leg, and then slammed his hand on his knee) was really a first.. First time I see him feel so..agitated.

Really cool to see Houtarou introspecting his way of life as well.. Makes me wonder whether his sister really made him join Kotenbu with that intention in mind.

And as others have mentioned, the question of who was the real organiser/mastermind still lingers.. And also the whereabouts of Sekitani Jun.

Especially love the music in this episode. And as usual, loving the animation that goes wtih the theories/stories and the angles of the scenes.
Oct 29, 2012 8:24 AM

Nov 2010
Mm, that was a fine way to wrap up a good portion of the mystery. Rather straightforward pun there =P

Will be interesting to see the changes in Houtarou's character - still a lot of episodes left.
Oct 31, 2012 4:48 PM

Jan 2012
if that is the end of the arc im pretty disappointed really, there was a lot of questions unanswered for me, some have already been mentioned.... i mean the last 2 episodes were so heavy anyway, you would have thought they could get everything resoled but oh well, I still like the anime its strangely growing on me with every episode i just hope the next arc is better than this one and it picks up from here...
Nov 4, 2012 2:56 PM

May 2008
It is really suprising that Oreki got much information even thought he was not in that event..

Ice Cream.... wow.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.