Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 17, 2012 9:08 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Okamoto-san's character finally appeared! He's so talkative.
tsubasaloverMay 17, 2012 9:18 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 17, 2012 10:44 AM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Great episode once again, the new kid that acts kind of gay annoys the hell out of me though.
And I felt sorry for Sentarou, he had really messed up his date after he started talking about Yurika, haha.
May 17, 2012 10:55 AM

Feb 2012
I thought antisocial Kaoru was gone for good. Too bad.
May 17, 2012 11:18 AM
Jan 2012
Kinda meh episode really. The new guy rubs me the wrong way too, manipulative and all smooth to get people in his favor. Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't poor but just plays it knowing where Sen comes from. He seems a good guy, but at the same time there must be some major reason he's in the "rowdy" class with Sen.

Overall this episode really shows the true age of some of the characters, and it's a pity really how they misunderstand each other - Sen and Kaoru that is. Dare I say somewhat melodramatic once again, and noticably lower quality compared to last week.
May 17, 2012 11:23 AM
May 2012
Great ep. But ending scene was such a cliffhanger! I don't get it!
May 17, 2012 12:40 PM

Feb 2012
Sentarou is such a good guy, sometimes Kaoru doesn't appreciate it and he makes the same mistake over and over again.

Seiji is a weird fellow, I don't like him and he already got between Sen and Kaoru. Why the hell does he have that tooth, it doesn't fit in this type of anime at all?

Yurika is a bitch, wants to thank Sen and all she talks about is Jun.

Was that Jun at the end?
May 17, 2012 12:48 PM

Apr 2011
Cant wait for it to start getting good :D

Dr_FunkadelicMay 17, 2012 12:55 PM
May 17, 2012 12:49 PM

Apr 2011
Zhou said:
Sentarou is such a good guy, sometimes Kaoru doesn't appreciate it and he makes the same mistake over and over again.

Seiji is a weird fellow, I don't like him and he already got between Sen and Kaoru. Why the hell does he have that tooth, it doesn't fit in this type of anime at all?

Yurika is a bitch, wants to thank Sen and all she talks about is Jun.

Was that Jun at the end?

Yup. :3 Its going start getting crazy.
May 17, 2012 1:03 PM

Aug 2011
i really wanted to see more in this episode. what is wrong with sentaro? the beatles? come on!
May 17, 2012 1:08 PM

Jul 2011
That new bitchy kid annoyed the hell out of me.
Also, that tooth...couldn't stop looking at it.
May 17, 2012 1:10 PM

Dec 2009
The new kid also annoyed me. Not just because he's an antagonist to the main characters' friendship, but because of how much of a cliché this whole scenario is. Ugh.
Ara ara.
May 17, 2012 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
DoctorDoom said:
The new kid also annoyed me. Not just because he's an antagonist to the main characters' friendship, but because of how much of a cliché this whole scenario is. Ugh.

onzeedge said:
Overall this episode really shows the true age of some of the characters, and it's a pity really how they misunderstand each other - Sen and Kaoru that is. Dare I say somewhat melodramatic once again, and noticably lower quality compared to last week.

I'd agree with both of you. Not a huge fan of the turn this show took this week, especially compared to how good the last episode or so was. The new guy seems to be the most typically "anime-ish" character, I guess, out of the bunch, both with his looks (seriously, that fang...) and over-the-top personality, and he brought out the worst of the others here. Oh well, the ending should change things up a bit for the better, I hope.
May 17, 2012 1:51 PM

Sep 2008
I thought Sentaro would be better than that.
I totally saw his decision from a mile away, but for some reason I was hoping that the anime would portray Sentaro as a person who didn't turn away from his friends.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2012 2:21 PM

May 2010
The love pentagon thingy is starting to get rather tiring, but this is still a really good anime.

I wonder who the person at the end was. :O
May 17, 2012 2:23 PM

Jul 2010
Poor Kaoru.... he was really immature but you have to feel for his situation. Great balance of characters in this show; it's amazing.

Pretty surprise at Jun at the end. Didn't think I'd ever see him like that.

"My Favorite Things" :D
And I couldn't help but think of George Harrison :3

5/5 - Amazing episode. Soooo great :)

I agree with the others about the new guy being the typical cliche character, but you have to admit that it's used in a way that really puts a large strain on Sentarou and Kaoru's friendship that isn't seen in other shows. Since we've seen so much development between them, it really breaks our heart to see this stupid new kid come up. Honestly though, I don't mind him much and I don't see him as an antagonist. He just wants the best for his band, much like any musician. Of course, his way of approaching the situation is really dramatic so it seems like he's 'evil', but really he's not an important part of the drama going on :P
fishergirl16May 17, 2012 2:26 PM
May 17, 2012 2:34 PM
Sep 2011
This episode once again showed how refined every character is.
Seiji seems to be a quite flamboyant and manipulative guy, yet I think he's honest in regard to his family situation and his dream of becoming famous is most likely fueled by the wish to escape his narrow environment which is why he displays such an exuberant attitude.

It's a good thing that he brought out a different side from both Kaoru and Sentarou.
We see a softer side from Sentarou as he seems to feel compassion for Seiji as he can easily relate to the situation the slim boy mentioned

Despite being aware of his own irrational feelings Kaoru can't help but feel betrayed by Sentarou and sees Seiji as a threat to their friendship, having experienced how easily friendships can cease to exist. It shows how Kaoru still has a long way to go concerning social skills and that one has to be able to adapt to changes in one's life. Expecting him to have changed completely after making friends with Ritsuko and Sentarou would have been unrealistic.

While many seem to regard the new character as an unpleasant addition to this series, it's still a neccessary development to make Kaoru realize that one can't claim a monopoly for someone's friendship. Without doubt he will grow to a more mature person after this conflict.
May 17, 2012 2:44 PM

Jul 2010
Totentanz said:
This episode once again showed how refined every character is.
Seiji seems to be a quite flamboyant and manipulative guy, yet I think he's honest in regard to his family situation and his dream of becoming famous is most likely fueled by the wish to escape his narrow environment which is why he displays such an exuberant attitude.

It's a good thing that he brought out a different side from both Kaoru and Sentarou.
We see a softer side from Sentarou as he seems to feel compassion for Seiji as he can easily relate to the situation the slim boy mentioned

Despite being aware of his own irrational feelings Kaoru can't help but feel betrayed by Sentarou and sees Seiji as a threat to their friendship, having experienced how easily friendships can cease to exist. It shows how Kaoru still has a long way to go concerning social skills and that one has to be able to adapt to changes in one's life. Expecting him to have changed completely after making friends with Ritsuko and Sentarou would have been unrealistic.

While many seem to regard the new character as an unpleasant addition to this series, it's still a neccessary development to make Kaoru realize that one can't claim a monopoly for someone's friendship. Without doubt he will grow to a more mature person after this conflict.

Ahh, I love when someone beautifully analyzes an episode<3
May 17, 2012 2:52 PM
Sep 2011
fishergirl16 said:

Ahh, I love when someone beautifully analyzes an episode<3

Oh thanks for the compliment, but that really wasn't anything exceptional nor would I ever claim to be able to fully analyze the huge amount of subtle character interactions and their state of mind.
I was just writing down some thoughts that crossed my mind ;)
May 17, 2012 3:04 PM

Jan 2012
That new guy is really annoying. Sentaro totally got into his sweet talking. What's next I wonder.

May 17, 2012 3:07 PM

Jul 2011
Poor Kaoru. I hate how you're kinda outspoken when it comes to anger, but I can't hate you.

I'm feeling that Sentarou is being used... I can't trust the new kid, rubs me the wrong way too. Though I don't feel he's really a bad guy... the show doesn't give me the feeling that there is one. Don't go flattering people every other minute. Makes me suspicious...
May 17, 2012 3:11 PM

Aug 2009
Damn... Listening to kaoru at the end was like listening to myself T____T
May 17, 2012 3:16 PM

Jun 2008
Kaoru and Sentarou are adorable. That´s all I have to say~

ワンダーランド花 ♥

May 17, 2012 4:30 PM
Jan 2009
ahahaha typical anime kid?
Newp, it's just this typical MOE character being used as a guy... You don't see that often, and it's funny to see how something that normally isn't hated, becomes so annoying when you change the sex.

And well, this anime just flies by :< this past few chapters aren't even plain enjoyable or anything... They are actually kind of ennerving, but the surroundings and the characters are so well constructed that one just immerges himself in all that jazzy atmosphere...

Now... it would be cool if that electric guitar guy joined the jazz quartet. I love jazz guitar <3...
May 17, 2012 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
I was losing interest in the love polygon, so it was nice to see something different added into the mix with the band situation, and most likely result in some development for Kaoru. Emo Jun at the end might be an interesting as well.

I felt like the scene before the opening, with the wind breezing past Ritsuko's skirt was hinting at her feelings for Kaoru swaying. I'm probably reading too much into it.
May 17, 2012 5:46 PM

Sep 2011
Hope we get the anti-social Kaoru back, who needs friends anyway? They're just an obstacle in the path to success. Either that, or I'm hoping that Kaori and Sentarou make up or whatever, then Jun and Kaoru get into relationship that ends near the end of the series, then Kaoru realizes that Sentarou was his true love all along. They confess their feelings for eachother and that's followed by some super hot yaoi action. Either that, or Kaoru becomes a serial killer and rapes Ritsuko, because she looked like his mother or something.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
May 17, 2012 5:52 PM

Dec 2011
Kaoru has too many personality shifts from episode to episode.
May 17, 2012 6:48 PM

Nov 2008
Not enough jazz, too much melodrama...
May 17, 2012 7:31 PM

Mar 2008
I understand that they needed to create a problem for Sen and Kaour's friendship. Since they didn't use love, they needed to use their hobby. The character that does that is normally hated. But why did they have to give him a fang? It doesn't match with the overall design.

I guess Kaoru's actions in eps 2 and 3 gave me the wrong impression that he was a mature guy. Yes, unlike most protagonists, he notices things and has the guts to act, but he's still pretty childish with all that snapping...
May 17, 2012 8:08 PM

Feb 2012
This show keeps making me wait and I can't take it! Loving this though. Kaoru's got some abandonment issues, and I think Ri-chan is starting to fall for him, so I'm hoping she cheers him up. Once again, great drama. And poor Sentaro, still going after Yurika when he needs to realize that she's into Jun. No hiding it.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
May 17, 2012 8:42 PM

Dec 2010
memeki said:
The new guy seems to be the most typically "anime-ish" character, I guess, out of the bunch, both with his looks (seriously, that fang...) and over-the-top personality, and he brought out the worst of the others here. Oh well, the ending should change things up a bit for the better, I hope.

This pretty much summes it up. And a bit too much melodrama for my taste. But I liked those subtle hints when the camera pans to her skirt or we just see the reaction on their faces without unnecessary words.
May 17, 2012 8:43 PM

Oct 2011
Poor Kaoru ,i can relate to that fealing :(,..............
one a side note Nobuhiko Okamoto,... 0_0.....JE T'AIME!!!!!!
May 17, 2012 9:13 PM
Jan 2011
the new character creeped me out. I think its fine that Sen wanted to play in his rock band, but I worry about Kaoru. The poor guy seems to have some abandonment issues. Hopefully they stay friends and fix their whole misunderstanding.
May 17, 2012 9:17 PM

Oct 2011
Getting a little heavy on the drama and not enough jazz this time around, but it's still pretty interesting.

I think Kaoru kind of overreacted (I mean his memory is nothing compared to Sentaro just being gone for the festival), but I guess it was just that bad of a memory.
May 17, 2012 10:11 PM

Apr 2008
When Kaoru said "I wish people would stop falling in love.", I was literally screaming "YES!", seriously high school romance mostly never works out and it's so gross seeing freshmen making out everywhere i go...

Anyways..Seiji annoyed me (Nobuhiko Okamoto's using his shota voice...and DAT FANG), I totally can relate to what Kaoru is going through. Looks like Brother Jun must have had a lot of bloody mary's...
My Blog: Oasis Crossing ~The Book of Friends~

Forum Avatar: Fram Nara from Gundam AGE
May 17, 2012 10:17 PM

Feb 2012
webkid94 said:
seriously high school romance mostly never works out

But if high school romance didn't work out at least some of the time I wouldn't have ever existed ^_^
May 17, 2012 11:42 PM

Nov 2011
Fantastic episode.
Seriously, six episodes in and it just doesn't stop.

Can easily tell Ritsuko still has feelings for Sentarou, but at the same time it seems like she's looking at Kaoru in a different light as we see in some scenes in the episode.

Yurika of course still chasing after Jun, and Sentarou lacking in the romantic department is sadly to dense to see it even when they talked about him for the whole date!

This new character is annoying, yet very necessary all the same time. He SEEMS like a nice guy, and has good intentions, but at the same time those good intentions require bad actions. Such as trying to pull Sentarou away from jazz, and apparently one of the things that made him stay was his friend. Which of course, when we find out about Seiji's situation, Sentarou being the nice guy he is agrees to helping him, but at the same time Kaoru doesn't understand and feels betrayed.

THEN OF COURSE WE SEE THE RETURN OF BROTHER JUN AT THE END.
I've got some bad feelings about this, considering Yurika is head over heels for the guy and Jun may not be the fantastic guy we all thought he was!

Anyways, great episode can't wait for next week.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 17, 2012 11:42 PM

Jan 2011
Well if Jun was in a bar looking like that, I suspect there is a woman involved. My guess is that he will be available for Yurika on the rebound. (Reminds me of what happened during my first year of university somewhat.)

I loved the way the Beatles were brought into this episode, because they changed everything in terms of Western music (and culture in general). I love jazz (in fact I just finished spending four days at Jazz Fest in New Orleans--although that probably doesn't count because many of the bands are from other genres there), but the Beatles had way more influence on my musical tastes over the years.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 18, 2012 2:29 AM

Nov 2011
Wow.... cliffhangers x2 Can't wait for next week episode now.
Kinda a peaceful episode until the end...
5/5 once again.
May 18, 2012 5:47 AM

Feb 2010
Such a good episode! SO many little amazing scenes.

Trying to understand how this is, in anyway, less quality than past episodes. (Based on some people's opinions...)

It really showed some of the depth, past hurts, and interesting personalities of the characters.

Looking forward to next week....

Brother Jun looks like he's having a rough time... Yurika's gonna try to jump on THAT.

Again this episode flew by + I look forward to next week.
May 18, 2012 6:42 AM

Feb 2012
MusashiRose said:
Trying to understand how this is, in anyway, less quality than past episodes. (Based on some people's opinions...)

"Less quality than past episodes" doesn't mean much, anyway, when the first five episodes were very high-quality.

The only thing that irked me slightly was how quickly Kaoru retreated back into his shell, which is an unfortunate byproduct of this show being compressed into 12 episodes. So far, the script has been able to keep up with the fast pace, but at time like that, the fast pace turns drama into melodrama.
May 18, 2012 8:41 AM

Jun 2011
I really liked it, Kaoru was overreacting though. Still, his reaction is understandable. I really don't like the new guy, it's cute that he's obviously a Beatles fan and I'm sure he has great taste in music, but I just don't like the way he accomplishes things. He reminds me a bit of Kurumi from Kimi no Todoke, for example; usually I like characters like that but with this one, not so much.
May 18, 2012 9:02 AM

Aug 2008
The new guy is.. a little irritating but I can't comment much since we didn't see much of him yet.

Kaoru lashing out like that feels a bit weird but I think the scene on the bus was well done.
May 18, 2012 10:10 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The new character doesn't really feel right for the time this series is set in. He behaves too "modern" in a way.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 18, 2012 10:26 AM

May 2010
Kaoru acting like an angry kid really irritated me but during his monologues that he knew he was, I felt his sadness.

New character's design kinda irk me because of that fang. lol

Hope to hear some Beatles songs. :)

Was that Junichi in the ending? Interesting cliffhanger then.
May 18, 2012 11:46 AM

Aug 2011
Damn new guy. I knew he was up to no good. I think, with the entrance of Seiji, it brings out the awkward and almost possessive part of Kaoru. I can understand where he's coming from. If some random kid started prancing around and stealing MY friend, I wouldn't be too happy either. It wasn't very mature of him to freak out over it, though. But it's understandable - considering his character, and especially since we got that flashback of his past.
May 18, 2012 12:29 PM

Nov 2008
Wow, I really understand how Kaoru feels...
May 18, 2012 12:33 PM

Jan 2012
there was a couple parts skipped that were in the manga but that's normal nowkdls; xnx it was pretty good though o:

and i also thought that matsuoka's hair was blonde xD
sssfullchainMay 18, 2012 9:29 PM
ad stellas super alas angeli.

May 18, 2012 1:11 PM

Oct 2010
Dammit......................The scenes that I anticipated aren't included at all.

They chopped off SO many scenes in this episode, a total of what could be 5 minutes of additional scenes. It annoyed the hell outta me, hence this episode is the worst episode so far, with too many omitted scenes and downgrade animation in terms of drawing detail, plus the melodrama between Kaoru and Sen. There are also weird transitions between scenes, such as when Kaoru throw away his clams. Suddenly in less than a second he is walking away from Sen. It's like watching a video in a 4x fast forward mode.

Overall this episode sucks.

2/5

weeknd said:
there was a couple parts skipped that were in the manga but that's normal nowkdls; xnx it was pretty good though o:

and i also thought that nobuhiko's hair was blonde xD

Yeah me too. Because Sentarou's hair is colored gray in the manga, I thought Seiji's white hair would be blonde-colored in the anime. But maybe its not too realistic for a Japanese to have blonde hair in 60's.

Reim_SeranthMay 18, 2012 1:33 PM

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
May 18, 2012 2:49 PM

Apr 2008
Mmm, not my favorite episode so far, what it was quite good anyway. I didn't expected to see time flowing so fast, it took me by surprise. I'm starting to apreciate Kaoru. Not that I disliked him before, but I'm starting to like him as the main character.

The new character gave me the creeps. I disliked him from the very moment he appeared. Let's see if he can attract Sen to 'the dark side of music'. Rock? C'mon...

Also, who was the misterious character at the end of the episode? Jun after some months of slovenliness?
May 18, 2012 4:28 PM
Jan 2009
Zilpzalp said:

No, that is wrong. It is not because of his gender, but because of this anime. You know the theme of the anime and that it has a more serious tone than your typical moe anime. Therefore, you just cannot trust a guy like that, because up until now, the anime always stressed the fact that every human has a dark side to them.

Seriously, if it was a girl most people would be like:
"SO CUTE!!", and maybe get annoyed at the end of the episode. As a guy he is just plain weird... There is no way people could trust it. :3
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

HawthorneKitty - Jun 28, 2012

462 by Nebbby312 »»
Apr 12, 10:17 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.