Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sankarea
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 17, 2012 10:11 AM

Oct 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode definitely so far was done well in terms of MOE and Ranko's past with Chihiro. I find they did Ranko's family rather very well. Ranko's past in terms of setup was colored brilliantly fine. In due part to the graveyard scenes.

About the beginning, it was very nice and smart to do the following setup in the spoiler
as Ranko runs so it shows she runs back the past. Perhaps to understand her mental state in regards towards Rea. She clearly showed hostile jealousy over her in the last episode. To that effect the setup starts back in the past with Ranko crying and being MOE in the spoiler
mainly due to a death. Now that was nostalgic to say the least. Seeing a family eating with Ranko observing them and seeing Ranko serve here that she looked stunning in that outfit. Her work place does look like your typical restaurant in Japan. Ranko was so lovely smiling here, WOW totally different aspect of her there. When she gets into a fight with Chihiro and the mother teases in the spoiler
it was very good for a setup. The mother of Ranko is so well done. It’s amazing really. Both are done finely and far better than in the manga.

The MOE and the relationship stemming from it was far more emphasized than the manga. Loli Ranko is a totally HNNNNNGGGGHHH very strongly and this episode clearly shows of Ranko's cute side as a kid.

It clearly shows that despite having issues, Ranko manages to get used to the horror movies of Chihiro in the spoiler
and I doubt anything but love made her strong in that sense.

That being said I find Ranko' comforting Chihiro as he cried was MOE itself. Such a strong scene emotionally. I did not think of Chihiro as that much of a cry baby but it shows he GREW SOME BALLS. He never cried like he did on that part except maybe for Babu TBH.

About flashback take 1, the first serious flashback is the official meeting between Chihiro and Ranko in the spoiler
I find it observing but more than anything that Chihiro was the one who gives out his hand to help Ranko out and that he even had BALLS from the start by taking Ranko’s hand. As such this is what made her see Chihiro in a different way. One of the most MOE of Ranko is in the following,

Like Rea in the hydrangeas, Ranko was cute during her loli age. The most significant next event is none other than in the spoiler
when Chihiro in fact does break down rather badly.
Ranko comforting him was another fortifier of their relationship. As it continues Chihiro is pretty depressed here over the whole thing. That IMO would be Ranko going away. That is shown in the spoiler
and the grandfather looked damn better there. One of the appreciation of how the mother looks is in the following,

Shows her nicely at her primed age. A few years after having Ranko. If you notice from the part of the present, she is kind fatter. Right?

About back the present take 1, one the nicest things when it happens is Chihiro's friend making fun of Ranko x Chihiro in the spoiler
going as far as teasing with his hands as a picture portrait. It was hilarious for its reactions from Chihiro and Ranko. Ranko also was happy around that part.

About the flashback take 2, the second part of the past was OVER 9000 OMG MOE I DIE! *heart stopped* *heart starts again* GOSH! Ranko so cute and with that skirt with those colors in the spoiler
it so went well with her. Her room OMG. So MOE also. Spooky = to Snoopy? I liked Ranko’s mother teasing out with a patting on the head of Chihiro and that Zombie mag is LIKE BOSS! Think of a kid reading horror for 18+. Now that takes guts. My parents caught me at 10 and banned me from it till 16 so Chihiro is one SOB lucky for his parents to get him this. The mother/daughter talk in the spoiler
showed more of Ranko’s hot mother and a nice talk with her.

The part in the spoiler
however continues the trend of relationship reinforcements. It’s obvious from a girl’s point of view that Ranko showing such strong attachments to the horror insanity of Chihiro surely goes back to THIS IS LOVE! For it cannot be anything else for a girl of Ranko’s age to drag along, especially that moron in the costume scared the crap out of her. Despite that we can see a 2nd enforcer in the spoiler
whom has to do with Ranko being given the BD. However it was more the fact he offered that he will protect Chihiro. I find that heartwarming to say the least. Finally if that was not enough the 3rd reenforce comes in. That of in the spoiler
none other than Chihiro holding hands with Ranko, watching a movie but more than anything that imaginary kiss! WOW! Now that show a lot with Ranko blushes.

About present take 2, the start of it was shocking. Chihiro x Ranko in the spoiler
along with more of his friend’s teasing or red faced jealousy.

About the REJECTION! YES! RANKO IS REJECTED in the spoiler
REJECTED TALK TO THE HAND STYLE! Oh the screaming of that part. Oh how delightful. As much I did get enticed in the episode of Ranko x Chihiro support, I cannot thank enough that a kiss has not occurred as of this episode, whom was close to happening. Well it did not! I am content with that.

About the preview, expect MASS fan service of Ranko in the spoiler
mass as in her breasts. Indeed #8 could be the best Ranko fan get of her. Other than that, Rea looks nice here and BABU OMG he looks like he is going to throw up here. Wonder WTF is up there. Lovely Mero is lovely here with her friends being introduced. Looks like
the father arc might start judging from his expression here. Can’t wait to see this lovely moment of Chihiro x Rea. Finally KYAAAAAAA in the spoiler
Rea is clothing shopping with Chihiro! Kyaaaa, fan scream is in for that one.

BTW Image Stitches and Image Dump are done in the BLOG:
http://ecchiking99.blogspot.ca/2012/05/image-stitches-and-image-dump-from.html
Nice ones of Ranko for the most but also Chihiro when he was a kid.

GIFs are done in the club:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=442933
Obviously loads of Ranko.
Yumekichi11May 17, 2012 8:34 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 17, 2012 10:23 AM

Nov 2007
Showing the relations between zombie main guy and his childhood girl, her mother wants them together. At first she doesn't like him for always liking zombie, but she fell in love with him. She almost kissed him, because zombie girl kissed him first.

No zombie girl this ep., but will resume next ep.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 17, 2012 12:19 PM

Jul 2010
This episode took a detour from the manga to explain Ranko's past with Chihiro which I found was done pretty well. Looks like things get back on track for next episode.
May 17, 2012 12:42 PM

Nov 2011
Well, Ranko takes the stage this episode. Those cute little moe faces.

Take a trip down memory lane cause this episode is just that. We see some great background history of Ranko and what she was like during her cute little childhood years

Kawaii:

Spoilers' summary:

Well, they got along pretty well till they watched a movie like this:

Continued...

Great lighthearted episode ^_^

And yup...inb4 love triangle, zombie fight, and all that good stuff.
Stark700May 17, 2012 8:59 PM
May 17, 2012 12:50 PM
Jun 2008
I think its more like Chihiro is saving his CD from the dog rather than saving Wanko from the dog lol
May 17, 2012 12:57 PM

Aug 2009
I must admit this episode was really well done. Oh, and ENGRISH dubbing in the Dawn of the Dead, was hilarious :D
About the preview... Do you know that Ranko's fanservice is in fact in oryginal material, but You won't find those in scanlations? So where is it? Those scenes were added alongside with the release of the second volume. Luckly Studio Deen didn't forget about those changes:)
May 17, 2012 12:58 PM

Nov 2009
I liked to see a little more back story, this way we get to understand Ranko some more. And I do feel sorry for her because I don't think she will win.
May 17, 2012 1:14 PM

Oct 2010
CanisTomek said:
I must admit this episode was really well done. Oh, and ENGRISH dubbing in the Dawn of the Dead, was hilarious :D
About the preview... Do you know that Ranko's fanservice is in fact in oryginal material, but You won't find those in scanlations? So where is it? Those scenes were added alongside with the release of the second volume. Luckly Studio Deen didn't forget about those changes:)
I am just wondering if they will do this scene from the manga:
very rich in colors. Like what will be the setup and tone of it. Should be amazing with the fan service part of Ranko from the preview.

May 17, 2012 5:07 PM

Jun 2011
Parents who promote incest... hehe o_o
ShihMay 17, 2012 5:10 PM
May 17, 2012 5:11 PM

Nov 2008
Shih said:

Have you watched MM? If so it shouldn't be surprising.

May 17, 2012 5:27 PM

Oct 2010
Shih said:
I have calculated that 1/4 blood relation is not significant thus why the parents do not consider close enough to be incest.

I do think that Chihiro still does not give a rat's ass about Ranko. He only likes Rea. It's also pretty ironic that for most girls not losing is being the first kiss of a guy and that Chihiro already had his. So Ranko LOST already as she will never be #1 kiss for Chihiro.

May 17, 2012 5:38 PM

Jan 2008
Whoa.. awesome story for wanko! I also had a great laugh at the ep8 preview in the end, lol
May 17, 2012 5:42 PM

May 2012
MorningGlory said:
I think its more like Chihiro is saving his CD from the dog rather than saving Wanko from the dog lol

^Well said, sir .
So as you're laughing at this fool tonight , let me rid myself of any line that I might use to trip you up .
May 17, 2012 5:55 PM

Nov 2008
Filler, and not a good one. I don't like Ranko in the manga and I like her even less here in the anime.

At least we get back to the story next week.
May 17, 2012 6:56 PM

May 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
Shih said:
I have calculated that 1/4 blood relation is not significant thus why the parents do not consider close enough to be incest.

I do think that Chihiro still does not give a rat's ass about Ranko. He only likes Rea. It's also pretty ironic that for most girls not losing is being the first kiss of a guy and that Chihiro already had his. So Ranko LOST already as she will never be #1 kiss for Chihiro.
So as you're laughing at this fool tonight , let me rid myself of any line that I might use to trip you up .
May 17, 2012 8:44 PM

Feb 2012
Huge fan of this episode. Love Ranko. Poor girl. Seeing her past and how she was in love with Chihiro from the start was crazy. Can't believe it, didn't even think she liked him!

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
May 17, 2012 8:45 PM

Apr 2011
I really enjoyed this episode :3 I loved watching little Ranko and chihiro
May 17, 2012 9:02 PM
Jan 2011
If Chihiro's father is Wanko's father's brother, why do they have different last names?

I'd really like Wanko to win. I can only hope that Rea will eventually decay and forever stay dead. A little cousin on cousin wincest action will only make this series better.

GO WANKO!!!!
May 17, 2012 9:03 PM

Aug 2011
I honestly prefer Ranko over Rea but of course Ranko is gonna lose cuz the childhood friend always loses to the new girl...but Ranko's mom beats both of them :)
May 17, 2012 9:05 PM

Nov 2011
I smell a cat fight coming next episode.
May 17, 2012 9:11 PM

Oct 2010
I like this approach better than the manga. Manga was a bit more dramatic, but this actually went into some major details and made the relation a bit more real.
Is nice that for once the mail character actually remember things from his past and doesn't suffer some selective amnesia.
Yumekichi11 said:
So Ranko LOST already as she will never be #1 kiss for Chihiro.

I think Ranko is a more likable character than Rea (more noticeable in the anime), sadly Chihiro doesn't allow himself to see her in that way.
Ranko will loose unless she makes some major personality changes to be less annoying to him and more like Rea... but then she would just be another air-head with big boobs.

I don't think he cares about the kiss situation as much as the fact that Ranko is too "unlady like" towards him (I don't really think he care about the cousin situation either)
huh?
May 17, 2012 9:17 PM

Apr 2012
Chihiro's friend: Ranko-san, why do you like this guy? He's not a sexy guy. He's a rebellious, stubborn and good for nothing zombie otaku.
Ranko: That's true. I suppose...

Why the hell does Ranko still like him? She has already realized that when she was four. (BTW, how could a three-year old and a four-year old child have such vivid memories?)

Does anyone else think Chihiro is a dumb down version of Koyomi Araragi? With the exception of Araragi's sharp tongue and his superpowers, they both have a strong concern for the safety of the girls around them without regard to their own safety, distinct weird tastes (Araragi's a lolicon and Chihiro's a zombie-freak), strange (in the anime sense) detachment from other girls' advances and antisocial. Now all Chihiro needs is a harem...already in development, whoops! And a Senjougahara, which Rea has the capacity to fit the bill. I think I may have just described the modern requirements for a successful harem lead.
May 17, 2012 9:28 PM

Oct 2010
s2012k1993 said:
Why the hell does Ranko still like him?

Honestly, plot device. But if u want to give it more flauvor, its becuase of its "good point" ie. determine when he wants to, selfish, brave in time of needs, etc... average male character traits for a rom/com.
Both Araragi and Chihirio are based on a stereotipical male lead so they are bound to have this kind of similarities. Now both of them are as straight forward about their weirdness as well so is not like Araragi is any more "special".

From Rea to Senjougahara... impossible. Wanko has a better chance since she already got the tough on the outside smushy in the inside personality (not really tsundere, just tomboyish atm). Rea is too... predictable once you learn a little more about her.
huh?
May 17, 2012 9:47 PM

Feb 2012
Yumekichi11 said:

It's actually only 1/8th. First cousins are third-degree relatives.
May 17, 2012 9:55 PM

Jul 2009
Ranko > Rea
May 17, 2012 9:56 PM

Dec 2010
Filler episode but it was still a new way to show their past; It actually makes me feel kind of bad for Ranko since she never had a chance to begin with.
May 17, 2012 9:58 PM

Oct 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
Yumekichi11 said:

It's actually only 1/8th. First cousins are third-degree relatives.
Oh wow, my mistake. That's even better. Less DNA defaults.
choyos said:
Yumekichi11 said:
So Ranko LOST already as she will never be #1 kiss for Chihiro.

I think Ranko is a more likable character than Rea (more noticeable in the anime), sadly Chihiro doesn't allow himself to see her in that way.
Ranko will loose unless she makes some major personality changes to be less annoying to him and more like Rea... but then she would just be another air-head with big boobs.

I don't think he cares about the kiss situation as much as the fact that Ranko is too "unlady like" towards him (I don't really think he care about the cousin situation either)
Ideally there is this rumour going around that women with bigger breasts tend to form the big families. Ideally Ranko is viewed exactly as a wife ideal in form and body based on that and the whole big breasts FAD. You can see all the marriage fuss around and set-ups in this episode to convey that.

That being said Chihiro does care a lot about the kiss and Rea. His failure to realize that is plaguing this show. That is what the problem is. Once he realizes, he will cherish the kiss from Rea more.

May 17, 2012 9:59 PM

Oct 2011
nice back story? no rea,not that i care
May 17, 2012 10:52 PM

Jul 2009
I find it funny that people just have to lash into a character focused backstory episode if it's not their favourite character, even if it's one of the main characters. This phenomenon occurred in another series discussion as well.
May 17, 2012 11:08 PM

Apr 2012
now i realize why the guys who read the manga hate Ranko so much she`s annoying the only reason she`s in this story is to make a stupid love triangle
why cant we have a nice story about a boy reanimating a zombie girl and living happily ever after
May 17, 2012 11:14 PM

Sep 2011
Good episode,Wanko Special!!

Well we got our first filler episode of the series,and wasnt that bad.

It was interesting to see how Ranko and Chihiro meet and how she started to have feelings for him,you know he being a crazy Zombie fetish man.

Loli Wanko was extremely cute specially those faces were MOE as hell,so Chihiro was always a zombie lover since child...pretty fuck up i must say.

At the end was not bad with Wanko trying to kiss him and she being extremely mad that he kiss Rea for his first kiss and not her....

Well after this episode i feel sorry for Wanko as she doesnt have a chance....specially since he now has her Zombie Girl....well at least she wont give up NEVER AND NEVER GO AND GET HIM WANKO!!!

Next episode back to the plot but with some fillers also it seems....well lets see how it goes!!
May 17, 2012 11:16 PM
Jun 2008
total ranko/flashback kiddies memory ep.

ranko see kiddies running remember her kiddies.
with first meet cat hair boy & seeing her 1st zombie movie.
give so seeing cat hair boy so zombie liking a lot.
back present little walk those 2 guys some blah cause 2 women for cat hair boy.
more flashback see how wanko move in got video store.
yep cat hair boy want zombie movie ranko goes no.
yikes a dog then cat hair boy pipe attack the dog.
watch movie talk about a kiss.
back to present ranko still hmm.
then realize she won’t lose to rea & will get cat hair boy.

next ep rea wandering mall, RANKO, & oh yikes the father still want spayed or neutered cat hair boy.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
May 17, 2012 11:23 PM

Jun 2010
Chihiro came to save the day during the dog attack. Or did he?

Fillers. I wish they wouldn't add it. Oh well, next episode, things get better.

May 17, 2012 11:47 PM

Oct 2011
yet another beautiful episode of what is one of my favorite of three shows this season (the other two being sakamichi no apollon and lupin the third: mine fujiko to iu onna) - loved seeing the beginnings of the whole chihiro/ranko crush/rejection saga - definitely feel very sad for ranko as she is a truly amazing and compelling character - her mother's actually even sexier than her (if you have a thing for older women, which i do) - missed having the title character in this episode, but i always love to see the back story getting fleshed out - makes for more three dimensional characters....
May 17, 2012 11:49 PM

Oct 2011
jeroz said:
I find it funny that people just have to lash into a character focused backstory episode if it's not their favourite character, even if it's one of the main characters. This phenomenon occurred in another series discussion as well.
agree completely! a good story is made up of well-fleshed out characters, and sankarea does this very well - it's not filler if it develops the anime and it's characters - let's one get inside the psyche of the people involved...
May 18, 2012 12:58 AM

Oct 2008
Next ep., the Shopping Mall it seems.
But something's missing here, the show is a bite short.
May 18, 2012 1:09 AM

Jun 2010
I loled hard when I saw little Chihiro. LOL.
May 18, 2012 1:17 AM

Jan 2012
My impression of this episode.

May 18, 2012 1:18 AM

Sep 2010
feeling bad for Ranko however the anime is called Sankarea. i.e REA not Rankorea.
You have lost already Ranko :C
May 18, 2012 1:44 AM
Jan 2009

Rankooo is so cuuuuute!! in this pic!!!

I fell more in love with Ranko in this episode aww. More Rankooo PLeaseee!
May 18, 2012 1:49 AM

Nov 2011
It was a fine background story, not that I felt it really added anything to the characters. I can't see Ranko having much more development in the story.

jeroz said:

"Lash into" how? It's perfectly normal to not like an episode if you don't care about the character. Whether or not it is a good episode is an entirely different thing. Both contain degrees of subjectivity, and neither should deter someone from not liking the episode.
MissileSoupMay 18, 2012 1:30 PM
May 18, 2012 2:47 AM

May 2010
Frist off Wanko mom is a Milf.

enjoyed this episode, had some background on the child hood and man Furuya was hella creepy as a child.
May 18, 2012 3:39 AM

Jul 2009
Ranko met Chihiro when she was in Kindergarten,
Ranko and Chihiro met 2 years later, and Chihiro was then 5
Ranko is one year older than Chihiro.

This means that Ranko should have been about 4 when in kindergarten... does this number sound a little low to anybody? I thought that was more pre-school age...

Also,
shadowtsunami said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Except that 25% blood relation is very significant at 95% confidence level

Statistics: Your doing it wrong.
May 18, 2012 3:41 AM
Feb 2012
Schroeders said:
Ranko met Chihiro when she was in Kindergarten,
Ranko and Chihiro met 2 years later, and Chihiro was then 5
Ranko is one year older than Chihiro.

This means that Ranko should have been about 4 when in kindergarten... does this number sound a little low to anybody? I thought that was more pre-school age...

In Sweden you are allowed to be in kindergarten up the the age of 5. When you're 6 you go into pre-school and 7 is the mandatory elementary school.
May 18, 2012 3:57 AM

Jan 2012
God dammit, I was all for the whole zombie relationship ... then Ranko ... ehhhh
Meanwhile, in the magical world of anime.

May 18, 2012 4:24 AM

Oct 2010
not as good as the past episodes, but still quite good, Rea is definitely going to win this though
May 18, 2012 5:04 AM

Aug 2010
They'll need to spend a lot of time on Rea if they want it to feel like Rea is the winner over Ranko. After this episode Ranko seems like the best girl.
May 18, 2012 5:10 AM
Dec 2007
prismheart said:
They'll need to spend a lot of time on Rea if they want it to feel like Rea is the winner over Ranko. After this episode Ranko seems like the best girl.
Actually, they'll have to make us feel like Rea won because of any reason other than "she's a zombie and he's moe for zombies". Considering Rea has been pretty much a walking set of boobs with no spine whatsoever I'm not expecting much.

May 18, 2012 5:55 AM

May 2011
So it'a all about Ranko past.

A really nice flashback there.
May 18, 2012 7:25 AM

May 2010
Yay, Ranko managed to go an entire episode without being a fanservice bitch. I don't hate her as much now, but I still don't like her.
I feel like nothing happened in this episode. -_- Where did the interesting plot go?! And shouldn't Rea's pedo dad be trying to chop Chihiro's dick off right about now? Just sayin'.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 19, 2012

268 by 5hadow17 »»
Mar 16, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2012

303 by DrAkiMakura »»
Feb 9, 2:34 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

149 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:16 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jun 7, 2012

160 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - May 31, 2012

134 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 7:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.