Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 17, 2012 9:59 AM

May 2012
I'm sorry if such a thread already has bin made. But I was just curious, About other people.
So my qeustion is: Are you a closet anime watcher?
If the answer is no, How do people repond to you?
As for me, I never really had a chance, I just started waching and I didn't know people may have found it childish or stupid. So I j just tolded my friend about it. Because anime isn't realy know where I live, The most reactions where: What's that?
So, How about you?
''Calling anime and manga Useless is insulting the hard work and time people put into it.''
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 17, 2012 10:08 AM

Mar 2012
I treat it the same as all of my other interests. I don't meet people and say 'I love soccer!' anymore than I would say 'I love anime!', but if it is brought up or I can easily bring it up in relation to something, I will.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 17, 2012 10:09 AM

Jan 2012
Yep total closet watcher, my sister is the only one who knows.

But if someone brought up anime in a conversation, commenting that they liked it, I would be open about it.
Hermit_ChuckMay 17, 2012 3:08 PM
May 17, 2012 10:11 AM

May 2012
Everyone publicly knows my love for RPG games and Anime also Manga, my team mates in training do, I guess it is the fact when such people want to know what I do, it is one of the 1st things to say as well as football, the English version by the way, though hardly any of my friends except 1 or 2 are into anime, so conversation is so hard to come by.
May 17, 2012 10:22 AM

Feb 2012
Pretty much all of my friends know I watch anime and a few of them watch a little bit of anime themselves. Although their view of anime isnt always good, but who cares! They are the ones missing out :P
May 17, 2012 10:29 AM

Apr 2012
Well as far as just communicating with people I suppose I do give off a geeky vibe since I'm quiet and socially awkward. I don't readily discuss my interests unless it just happens to come up. But if you ever see my room, I have pictures of it in my profile, it's pretty obvious I'm a major otaku. lol
May 17, 2012 10:38 AM

Apr 2012
Most people know, but they don't care, because it isn't my only interest (it's scarcely brought up)(only with other anime people).
May 17, 2012 10:39 AM

Mar 2012
Only my friends i hang out with on a regular basis know, my old high school friends and the majority of the people i used to hang out with don't know. So i'm like halfway in the closet, on a side note my computer is kept in a large shallow closet so i technically do watch anime in the closet.
May 17, 2012 10:58 AM

Sep 2010
Only my circle of friends and parents know and no one else. Only way they would know is if they walked into my room and see my posters, anime, and figurines.....
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 17, 2012 11:27 AM

Oct 2011
Some people know that I'm in cartoons. Some know that those cartoons are called anime. But no-one really knows that I'm a big anime fan and I really watch a lot of anime besides my parents.
I see dead people.
May 17, 2012 11:36 AM

Mar 2012
Most people where I live don't even know what anime is.

If I said anything, they'd probably reply "isn't that kid stuff? like disney?".

So no, but even if I was it wouldn't change anything.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 17, 2012 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
Sadly, my College Professor found out.
May 17, 2012 11:56 AM

Mar 2008
I won't mention it unless I'm asked. Not because I'm not proud of the media and work behind it, but because there are almost always unavoidable negative preconceived notions that the general population holds. If they had the same understanding of the medium as I do, then I would be much more open about it. It's just a hassle and I'd rather not deal with it with people who hold those opinions.
May 17, 2012 12:03 PM

Mar 2008
I dont hide it from friends but I dont watch anything with family around since they tend to be well.... really annoying when i watch something.
May 17, 2012 12:09 PM

Jan 2012
Yes.
My family has responded negatively to this type of stuff in the past, so I keep it secret.
It would be too much effort to "make them see the light," so I just hide it.
They know that I fill up hard drives pretty fast, but they don't know why.
I can just imagine if they found out: I'd never hear the end of how I "waste my life away on that rubbish."

I've shared anime with a few school friends long ago when I was first getting into it, but that's as far as it goes.
If they had to see my anime list now, they'd probably be very shocked.
Even though it's nothing compared to some of you guys here, I'm quite confident that no-one that I've met in person can even come close.
May 17, 2012 12:13 PM

Apr 2011
Most people I know knows.
May 17, 2012 12:20 PM

Dec 2010
I'm not shy when I can voice my likes and dislikes. If someone says they like anime, I'll relate. If someone says they hate anime, I make it a point that I like anime.
May 17, 2012 12:26 PM

Feb 2011
Pretty obvious I watch anime.
May 17, 2012 12:35 PM

Feb 2010
No, I'm open about things I like, if I'm asked what I like, my hobbies - I'll mention anime and MLP:FiM as well.
LUL
May 17, 2012 12:44 PM

Apr 2011
Nah, I usually mention I like anime and animation in general. I'm not scared people will think I'm childish; I really wouldn't mind if people thought of me that way anyway.
May 17, 2012 3:02 PM

Feb 2008
I see no point in hiding anything I like. I am free to enjoy whatever I want, therefore, I hide nothing I like.

Same is with anime. I won't hide from the convo, and I if anime is ever brought to the conversation, I won't deny I like it.
May 17, 2012 3:17 PM

Mar 2012
It worries me that so many people feel like they have to hide there hobbies, that can't be good for you D:

Shouldn't worry too much about this sort thing, everyone has hobbies that others won't like.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 17, 2012 4:03 PM
Apr 2012
Honestly, I don't give a f*ck on people who look down on me because of my interests. Watching anime (esp. English dubs, like I do) isn't too popular here in Germany, but neither is listening to metal music and stuff like that.. If anyone thinks it makes me a bad person, fine, not my problem. I simply don't care. And that's exactly why I don't have a problem telling someone what I like to do/watch/listen to/whatever if I'm being asked for it.
May 17, 2012 4:04 PM

Jan 2011
Yep my closet's comfortable and warm
May 17, 2012 4:27 PM

May 2012
It's not really a huge secret to anyone that knows me, but at the same time I don't go out of my way to bring it up or push it on people not as interested.

I see no reason to hide who I am =)
Do you believe in love at first sight...or do I need to walk by again!?
~*~ http://www.dragonelegy.wordpress.com ~*~

May 17, 2012 4:35 PM

May 2012
I'm not so much "in the closet" as I am a practicer of "if they don't ask/it's irrelevant, I don't need to bring it up". :I
May 17, 2012 4:37 PM

Aug 2009
People that have been inside my room know that I watch anime. But I don't tell anyone that's not on the internet that I do. There are some people in my town that I don't want to be associated with.
May 17, 2012 4:47 PM

May 2012
VikingGe said:
Honestly, I don't give a f*ck on people who look down on me because of my interests. Watching anime (esp. English dubs, like I do) isn't too popular here in Germany, but neither is listening to metal music and stuff like that.. If anyone thinks it makes me a bad person, fine, not my problem. I simply don't care. And that's exactly why I don't have a problem telling someone what I like to do/watch/listen to/whatever if I'm being asked for it.

Watch Anime, Listens to metal, could that get any more epic?
May 17, 2012 5:05 PM

Apr 2012
I don't hide it from anybody but it's not like I tell it to everyone without a reason. I comment it if there's a relation with the subject we're discussing.
May 17, 2012 5:10 PM

Jun 2010
I used to be a bit of a closet otaku, but now I just don't care. I'm an exec in my school's anime club and I love talking about anime I like (including some of the more taboo stuff). The fact is, I've learnt that whatever people think of me doesn't matter. There's no point in suffering alone because you are too afraid to share your passion with others.

Obviously, I don't just say "Hi, my name is Bob, and I LOVE anime" when I meet new people, but I'm not shy about my interests if asked.
May 17, 2012 6:20 PM

Jan 2008
JoshSalas said:
I treat it the same as all of my other interests. I don't meet people and say 'I love soccer!' anymore than I would say 'I love anime!', but if it is brought up or I can easily bring it up in relation to something, I will.

Pretty much this

May 17, 2012 7:43 PM
Sep 2011
phft... all of you have it so easy. Imagine having Korean parents, and of course what being Korean American, is like. I keep my anime/manga loving in the closet, or more literally on my 18 digit password protected computer that also has the data on the hard drive encrypted all of which is locked behind closed doors. To top it off I live in an ultra social conservative state so I don't even make the slightest reference to Japan.
May 17, 2012 7:51 PM

Jun 2008
^ I can't imagine. I'm Chinese and my parents are fine with me watching Japanese animation. It's a bit stereotypical to imply all Korean parents are like that.
May 17, 2012 7:59 PM

Nov 2011
I don't hide it, but at the same time I don't openly go around with a giant banner saying "I LOVE ANIME!"

If someone asks if I watch it, or if someone happens to bring it up then yeah I'll tell them. No reason for me to hide it. Otherwise I don't really say anything about it.

My parents used to be a bit negative on it, but after awhile they just kind of forgot about it. I mean I'm not going to continuously keep on pausing, and quickly minimizing every time I hear a footstep. That would be annoying, so I just let them know, and it all just blew over. Friends could care less, or watch it themselves so I'm pretty much good in every aspect.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 17, 2012 9:28 PM
Sep 2011
Tachii said:
^ I can't imagine. I'm Chinese and my parents are fine with me watching Japanese animation. It's a bit stereotypical to imply all Korean parents are like that.

Sure it's a little stereotypical; however, it's certainly true for the older generations (for good reason). While my parents are not old enough to have personally lived through those times, don't forget that their parents did. Although I have noticed that the Korean people seem more than ready to move on to hating the Chinese, but in the end of the day the hatred does not matter because money is much more of an immediate, more compelling concern.
May 18, 2012 12:44 AM

Nov 2007
I think through the early parts of high school I kept quiet about it, since everyone hated it, but I think towards the end of grade 10 I became pretty open about what I like and dislike. I don't make a point to let everyone I meet know I like anime, but if anyone asks what kind of hobbies I have then I have no problem saying it.
May 18, 2012 3:04 AM
May 2009
Everyone who knows me knows, I like anime, I don't keep it a secret, but I don't go talking about it either.
May 18, 2012 3:19 AM

Oct 2011
No. Most of my friends know I watch these " Chinese Cartoons " LOL
May 18, 2012 3:20 AM

Apr 2012
Most of my friends watch anime, so I'm not the only one.

May 18, 2012 3:54 AM
Aug 2011
Everyone in my house knows I watch anime. I don't know if the nearby neighbors knows, but whenever my parents or something pisses me off I put my speakers on full blast, and listen to anime-related music or anime openings/ending , and I know that it can be heard from a far distance.

Saterdays: I always watch fairy tail on maximum volume.

When I was working a while back everyone use to know i watch "cartoons" , because, I literally watched anime every break I had,and when the work taxi took us home and picked us up. I also listened to anime music during night shifts. And whenever someone asked me what movies or music I like a always said, "i only watch anime and listen to anime related music"

/END RANT
Gatchum_Bye-ByeMay 18, 2012 3:59 AM
May 18, 2012 4:00 AM

Apr 2009
No. If I like something, I say it and am very open about it.
May 18, 2012 4:20 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Well depends. Unless the topic arises, I won't go out of my way and say I'm watching anime. Not that I hide it but mehh, unless ppl know abt it enough and refer to it on their own, I won't cause it's boring to explain them that it's not childish~
May 18, 2012 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
Maffy said:
Well depends. Unless the topic arises, I won't go out of my way and say I'm watching anime. Not that I hide it but mehh, unless ppl know abt it enough and refer to it on their own, I won't cause it's boring to explain them that it's not childish~

Yep this... Some members in my family know I watch a couple shows but have no idea how much xD I found my cousin has been getting into it so she knows has well, we've been watching Fairy Tail since episode 1 this month :P
Then I have a circle of friends I've met online (met some of them at a con already) that we obviously share the same interest
May 18, 2012 6:06 AM

Aug 2009
I'll say yes if I'm asked, unless they're one of those horrible anime fans. But then again it's not like I'd ever talk to those people anyway.
May 18, 2012 6:11 AM

Nov 2011
Some of my friends confuse anime with straight hentai.. So I keep from that topic with them.
Just passing by...
May 18, 2012 6:48 AM

Nov 2008
my family def knows, since i occasionally bug them to watch the odd funny episode or whole series if its good.
i also draw, so it's pretty obvious, my friends can prob assume from that.
May 18, 2012 6:53 AM
Mar 2011
another one of these
i cannot be my true self around people cause im afraid what they will think of me thread

it bugs me
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 18, 2012 7:02 AM
May 2009
theres nothing closet about me lol, i walk around with a gurren lagann bag (almots bought a strike witches bag but i didnt want the "i am paedo" sign) and some buttons i bought at comic-con. everybody that knows me knows im just a bi sloppy geek.
May 18, 2012 8:02 AM

Jan 2012
Uh, yes. The only people who knows that I enjoy anime are the ones I meet on the internet.

It makes me sad actually because I'd like to discuss anime with my friends in real life but unfortunately none of them watches anime.
May 18, 2012 9:08 AM

Apr 2012
If the person I'm talking to also likes anime, I'll openly talk about it.
Also, if someone asks me, I'll tell the truth.
Otherwise, I don't mention it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 34 minutes ago

12 by DarkShame2 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

20 by BlueBullet178 »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 4 hours ago

26 by Horizon248 »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

88 by ColourWheel »»
7 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

63 by BlueBullet178 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.