Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
#1
May 12, 2012 11:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 71
So I finished Brotherhood, and it was the ****. Should I watch the original adaption? I want more FMA.
 
#2
May 12, 2012 11:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 32149
yes yes yes, and did i mention yes?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

 
#3
May 12, 2012 11:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15983
I watch the original first and then brotherhood. Although I don't think that is goes as well the opposite direction. It somewhat cheapens the experience in my opinion.

Brotherhood is the main storyline.
While the first one is more of, what everyone does in their spare time.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
 
#4
May 12, 2012 11:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 32149
Suzune-chan said:

Brotherhood is the main storyline.
While the first one is more of, what everyone does in their spare time.
what? did we watch the same shows, they are both completly different shows that have a few different villains, rules, and even some character personalities and developments.

the 2003 version has nothing to do with their spare time, theres a constantly moving plot the entire series

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

 
#5
Aug 23, 2012 1:47 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1843
The best way to watch FMA in my opinion is to watch the original first, then Brotherhood.

The first 16 episodes of Brotherhood are so rushed that it's hard to keep up. The original is more methodical and it takes its time which i like. Watching that one first makes it a lot easier to settle into the world and fall in love with the characters. Brotherhood and the original's endings are so different anyway, that it really doesn't matter about spoilers. You can watch easily watch both of them and still be surprised by each endings!

Most people hate the original for straying away from the Manga, but i'm happy that we have two vastly different anime. I'm happy it did it's own thing AND that we have Brotherhood as a faithful adaptation.

It's almost too much FMA goodness :D
 
#6
Aug 23, 2012 2:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 32149
IcecreamManwich said:

Most people hate the original for straying away from the Manga,
And those people are dipshits that cant accept change or give a fair opinion, they are just biased fanboys that never give it a chance.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

 
#7
Aug 23, 2012 3:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
IcecreamManwich said:

The first 16 episodes of Brotherhood are so rushed that it's hard to keep up. The original is more methodical and it takes its time which i like. Watching that one first makes it a lot easier to settle into the world and fall in love with the characters. Brotherhood and the original's endings are so different anyway, that it really doesn't matter about spoilers. You can watch easily watch both of them and still be surprised by each endings!

Most people hate the original for straying away from the Manga, but i'm happy that we have two vastly different anime. I'm happy it did it's own thing AND that we have Brotherhood as a faithful adaptation.

I believe that the reason why it felt rushed at the beginning is because they cut out stuff that was in the manga because it was already in the original full metal alchemist, like Yorki it was shown how they met him in the orignial but not in brotherhood.



And I think that you should watch the original too, it's really different, everything is different so it will not feel as much as a remake as a whole new story. I think it would have probably been best if you had watched the original first because they go a little bit slower, and show some things that the 2009 cut out that was in the original and the manga. But either way you will probably enjoy it, if you really like the full metal alchemist world.


DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
IcecreamManwich said:

Most people hate the original for straying away from the Manga,
And those people are dipshits that cant accept change or give a fair opinion, they are just biased fanboys that never give it a chance.



I watched the original back when I first started watching anime and I liked it, but that ending was iffy, I didn't read the manga or even knew that it was different than the manga but still thought the ending was lacking. And when Brotherhood came out I didn't expect it to be a lot better than the original, but I was blown out of my mind, excellent combination of everything, with an ending that was epic and tied together all loose ends. I do try to look at the series as two different ones but I just can't.
 
#8
Aug 23, 2012 4:37 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4845
IntroverTurtle said:
IcecreamManwich said:

The first 16 episodes of Brotherhood are so rushed that it's hard to keep up. The original is more methodical and it takes its time which i like. Watching that one first makes it a lot easier to settle into the world and fall in love with the characters. Brotherhood and the original's endings are so different anyway, that it really doesn't matter about spoilers. You can watch easily watch both of them and still be surprised by each endings!
Pretty much, the start of Brotherhood saves time by assumming you already watched the original hence they only cover the very basics. Kinda like a cliff notes. You notice this because once they pass all the original covered it suddenly slows down and starts taking a break in pacing. Personally, I found Brotherhood to have a bad begginning because it was paced so damn fast. But it finished very strongly.

 
#9
Aug 23, 2012 4:48 PM
otaking
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 24952
just stick to the manga

both are close to it minus thar bull crap ending to the first season all that did was set up an ok at best cash in movie
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
Aug 25, 2012 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1843
IntroverTurtle said:

I believe that the reason why it felt rushed at the beginning is because they cut out stuff that was in the manga because it was already in the original full metal alchemist, like Yorki it was shown how they met him in the orignial but not in brotherhood.


Just to be clear, I do love both versions of Fullmetal Alchemist! I think that they compliment eachother well.

The little thing that keeps Brotherhood from being *The Perfect Anime* however are those opening episodes which doesn't connect too well unless you watched the first anime or read the manga. I wish they could've spend a few extra bucks on making 5-10 more episodes for the opening acts, making Brotherhood the ultimate FMA Experience! I know they'd have to redo scenes and stories from the original but guess what - THAT'S WHAT REMAKES DO

And hell; if you view the orginal anime's story as "canon" (like i foolishly do) you can even think of them as a continuing narrative: as Brotherhood could just be an alternate timeline in the FMA unverse! That's a theory i've been kicking around anyway... Ever since i saw Conqueror of Shamballa i mean - I don't care what anyone says: That film is AWESOME :D
Modified by who_dat_ninja, Aug 25, 2012 11:14 AM
 
Aug 25, 2012 12:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
IcecreamManwich said:

Just to be clear, I do love both versions of Fullmetal Alchemist! I think that they compliment eachother well.

The little thing that keeps Brotherhood from being *The Perfect Anime* however are those opening episodes which doesn't connect too well unless you watched the first anime or read the manga. I wish they could've spend a few extra bucks on making 5-10 more episodes for the opening acts, making Brotherhood the ultimate FMA Experience! I know they'd have to redo scenes and stories from the original but guess what - THAT'S WHAT REMAKES DO

And hell; if you view the orginal anime's story as "canon" (like i foolishly do) you can even think of them as a continuing narrative: as Brotherhood could just be an alternate timeline in the FMA unverse! That's a theory i've been kicking around anyway... Ever since i saw Conqueror of Shamballa i mean - I don't care what anyone says: That film is AWESOME :D


For me personally FMAB=10 FMA=8, I don't hate FMA but I view FMAB as the remake that is better than the original by a lot, not just because it is closer to the manga.

Well you did rate it a 10 which is for masterpieces, but I get what you are saying, but I think that maybe when they cut those out there was a purpose, maybe we wouldn't have had the same art quality or pacing for the rest. So I am glad that there wasn't all those small stories at the beginning, if you watched them once then you remember everything that happened with them so you are able to enjoy brotherhood easier. Well I don't think it only costs a few extra bucks that's the thing, and they did make some Specials that show some short stories, like Izumi Curtis surviving on Briggs, and more background info into characters. They must have thought it was pointless and a waste of money to animate those other short stories again.
 
Top