Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 8, 2013 2:39 PM

Feb 2011
holy shit
Apr 12, 2013 4:42 PM

Jul 2012
Wow.............. I did not see that coming.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Apr 12, 2013 9:41 PM

Apr 2009
I liked how the twist played out. Still wish I have could an equally satisfying twist without her death there.

Jun 15, 2013 11:17 AM
Aug 2011
I honestly can't tell if this was sheer genius or not...
Aug 4, 2013 12:16 PM

Nov 2006
So either the stayed with him and took Mizuki's form, or Mizuki came back as another spider girl....I would have liked that cleared up.

In any case, I did like how it played out. Many creatures from legend were predatory despite how they acted at times.
Oct 15, 2013 1:07 AM

Oct 2013
I think it has a brilliant ending!
Its unexpected, shocking and ironic at the same time.
The Geppou guy tried to save Suzuri, despite the fact that he knew exactly how it will end, because he himself fell in the same trap with that slime-friend of his.
This story is more of a fable then a fairy tale.

And of course the animation of the movement of the characters is extraordinary and refreshing. Really hope it would be the new trend in the anime industry.
Oct 21, 2013 6:03 PM

Sep 2012
Eudaimonia said:
A false sense of security with all the comedic bits, concealing the danger these mystical creatures pose for humans.
Just like in most traditional tales about a human bonding with a supernatural creature, it's all fun and games until someone is threatening to break this connection.

Fronzel said:
It's become the norm in anime that cute supernatural creatures get treated as children or girlfriends and everything turns out fine as long as you're nice to them and any fear is misplaced so I rather like seeing one that is as callous and dangerous as mythical monsters are in the actual tales. COUNTER-MOE.

Totally agree with these points, the ending is what made me like this short. A happy ending would be so boring. And as these guys said, it's refreshing to see a story showing that dealing with "monster girls" is a dangerous trip and not just some erotic fantasies or moe fairytales with happy endings for everyone.

8/10
Oct 25, 2013 4:22 AM
Sep 2012
Awesome art, ending, song and plot... But the show fucked my brain pretty badly...
Nov 9, 2013 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
YO WHERE IS THE HORROR TAG IN THE GENRES WHAT THE FUCK. The latter half had crazy angles and creepy music... CHILLS.

Anyway, that was very dynamic. It went from mild comedy to intense creepiness in a matter of minutes. It was done well. I would have scored this higher but my mind hurts from watching this.. 7/10

Lemonaded said:
This just confirms my hate for spiders. Can't fool me with your moe moe shit, I know you're evil. Even during the comedic scenes. I actually thought those were the creepiest.

^
Nov 9, 2013 8:55 PM

Jun 2012
Holy shit.
Why would they do that?!
Dec 22, 2013 2:44 PM

Sep 2009
I also think it should bear the "Horror" tag. It was definitely effective in this respect.
Feb 6, 2014 3:06 PM
Feb 2007
I definitely did not see that ending coming. ._.;;;
Mar 8, 2014 7:07 PM

Aug 2013
That was... really creepy. Liked it. I think it deserve an ''horror'' tag, creeped me out more than a lot of them who bear that tag...

I found it disturbing that he replaced the other girl by the spider, especially when we think about the fact that she saved him...

The myth was well writen and moving. The comedy was also well balanced. ''So, he's a lolicon?'' made me laugh :P

The ending was a bit random (the white thing behind the old man.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 16, 2014 5:59 AM

Oct 2013
did not expect that end at all, but the follow up with the other book seller at the end was cool
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
May 21, 2014 7:33 AM
May 2009
That ending had me just sitting there stunned. O_O

This just creeps me out. Definitely deserves the "Light Horror" tag. Nothing that will straight up terrify you, but you'll be shivering at the end, trying to comprehend what the heck happened. I give this an 8/10, for a well paced plot and a crazy plot-twist/Troll that I never saw coming. As far as shorts go, this will forever be sitting up their in my "Best" category, but it will never grace my Favorites because I personally don't really like endings like that.
Jun 3, 2014 6:41 PM

Apr 2012
Aside from what happened to the girl, I'd say the ending was a happy one.
Jul 14, 2014 6:56 PM

Jun 2009
My god... wtf... was not expecting that kind of ending. Nice ova.
Dec 9, 2014 11:41 PM
Dec 2013
That ending. I'm speechless...
Dec 25, 2014 10:27 PM

Jul 2012
Ok the girl die and there is another monster >_>

Jan 20, 2015 9:22 AM

Nov 2012
Whao, hace tiempo que no me quedaba con cara de no creer lo que veía. Fue un gran final. Leyendo los comentarios, estoy llegando a una teoría. Shu podría ser la reencarnación del "Monje" que protegió a la Araña en el pasado. En el momento en el que Shu vió a la Araña viendo la Luna y "recordó" la imagen de la misma Araña en el pasado, su vida pasada tomó el control de Shu y quería acercarse a la Araña, pero se detuvo cuando la vió con esos ojos, como en el recuerdo donde estaba comiéndose a una persona en su casa. Cuando llegan a la bifurcación de caminos, creo que la parte del Monje le dice a dónde debe ir, por eso no sigue ninguno de los 2 caminos y comienza a subir. Logra tomar el control cuando ve a Mizuki lastimada. Tal vez recuerda todo lo que vivió como Monje en el pasado y acepta esos recuerdos y decide seguir viviendo con la Araña. Para mí, Mizuki murió cuando cayó de la telaraña, en ese momento me quedé mudo. La tarea de la Araña parece que era alimentar a su Madre. Creo que cuando Shu voltea y ve que Mizuki cayó, reacciona como reaccionó el Monje cuando vió a la Araña comiéndose a esa persona en su casa en el pasado, con esa mirada y esa risa, aunque no lo vemos en este episodio. Creo que la forma en la que toma su pata en ese momento tiene algo que ver con el Monje. Creo que la Araña tomara la forma de Mizuki, además de la secuencia final en el ED donde Mizuki se "convierte" en la Araña.

My Candies:

Feb 24, 2015 5:30 AM

Nov 2011
Did they just fucking kill off that girl and finish like nothing ever happened?

Are we supposed to be happy??

The mood they finished with was WRONG. It's a tragedy, but they don't make it seem like it.

The FUCK
May 13, 2015 6:57 PM

May 2012
Quite fuckedup ending if you ask me but damn I sure liked this to be honest! Really had quite an impact and interesting story in general!
Jun 25, 2015 1:40 PM

Aug 2013
WTF the ENDING how can you end it with such a ohh yeah "a lot happened" holy shit
Aug 7, 2015 8:39 AM

Nov 2014
BURN! BURN!

Aug 26, 2015 7:25 AM

Dec 2009
was a really good story until they kill the girl poor thing =="
Mar 10, 2016 9:02 PM

Jul 2015
The "monster" who brought out the tea during the last scene sounded like Mizuki to me
Flower gleam and glow. Let your power shine.
Mar 28, 2016 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
Not sure I got it but this is my take on what happened:

This was kind of "exchange" between the world of spiders and humanity.
Spider God (mother of spider girl) takes Mizuki as a sacrifice and a revege
and let Suzuri escape under one condition - engagement with a spider girl.
Apr 17, 2016 6:16 AM

May 2015
I'm not sure what to think of that ending. What the fuck was that?

Apr 21, 2016 4:41 AM

Jul 2009
I was like "holy shit o.o" when the poor girl fell down. That was very disturbing ending.

Spiders are evil and creepy, no matter what form they posses.
Oct 25, 2016 2:00 PM

Oct 2015
sleeplesstown said:
my body wasn't ready

Mine neither. The confused run through the castle was the best part for the animation.
Oct 25, 2016 2:20 PM

Oct 2015
This short has motivated me to watch all the Young Animator Project shorts. I've only seen Oujisan no Lamp, which is one of the best shorts I've every seen including those made in West.

This short is also an amazing portrayal of the "Siren" type of monster. The one that lures someone into loving her, and then eating the lover when he drops his guard. I bet many viewer had developed some feelings for the Li'l Spider Girl, and a few would have rooted for her.
And anyone who as caught off guard by the ending means that you got played into the storyteller's/animator's hand. You don't see this kind of genius very often.

Still confused about another spider creature at old man's house serving tea. Was that suppose to represent irony?

Anyways, RIP beautifully animated high school girl. It was fun having you around, but Spider girl wasn't impressed.
Nov 14, 2016 10:07 AM

Jul 2012
Nice animation, nice thematic, nice soundtrack, nice ending. Neat.
Nov 27, 2016 6:14 PM

Sep 2013
Loli spider wins.
Nov 28, 2016 3:48 PM

Oct 2013
A lot of wimps don't like the ending. I thought it was brilliant. You don't expect someone to be sacrificed? This was a great short. 8/10 for me. I only wish it was full-length.
Nov 29, 2016 10:52 PM

Aug 2013
Woooooooow I felt so fucking trolled by that ending that I'm not even sure how to cope.

I was just so pissed/stunned/surprised that my mouth was just hanging open at the end.

- Guy is under the spell of the spider's influence, is about ready to throw himself at them.
- Girl who has seen all of the artwork of evil spider monsters ends up saving him and he's back to normal.
- Building falls apart and they get caught on a giant floating web.
- Spider girl goes mama, and see a giant, kind beautiful spider woman in the lake...oh! Those pictures must've been folklore. Turns out the spider people are attractive and actually ni-................*SNIP!!!!!!!!!!* She just falls and dies in silence OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE. Plot. Fucking. Twist.
- Then the guy is completely controlled by the spider girl and is in love with her.

Flash forward and he's now with the spider girl more grown up and is returning that scroll. While you're still sitting there trying to get your brain to accept the fact that the girl just got fucking murdered and eaten...THE OLD MAN IN THE BOOKSTORE HAS A SLIME MONSTER OF HIS OWN! And they play it off in a fucking comedic fashion with the way the MC just looked at him like "I didn't see anything".

I got totally mindfucked by the way they went from that horror moment, to that dry, cheesy fucking comedy like it was nothing all in the span of a minute.
Jan 17, 2017 8:41 AM
Jul 2016
alexvoda said:
me while watching this:
(ó.ò)
(^_^)
(^_^)
(o_O)
(ಠ_ಠ)
(ಠ益ಠ)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(ಥ_ಥ)

Anyway, for those asking the one behind the curtain is a slime.
I can't help but feel this was at least somewhat inspired from "Inui Takemaru"s "Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou".
At first it was just a series of independent color manga pages(nsfw) about 8 (IIRC) brothers each living with a monster girlfriend.
Now I see this is actually a manga in its own right. It's a sort of prequel to those pages and it is less hentai.

Back to Wasurenagumo, RAAAAGEEEE, they killed the girl!!!!

Totally agree with you 😢
Jan 19, 2017 1:24 PM

Apr 2016
WTF was that ending?! Like..

Oh c'mon! Seriously WTF?!

That whole scene..
Jan 26, 2017 10:48 AM

Sep 2011
10/10 ending laughed hard.
Jan 28, 2017 9:12 AM

Feb 2010
Well, it's quite obvious: the guy got charmed by the loli-spider and in the end said loli-spider took him as her slave, while the girl was dropped by loli into the lake where the big spider resided (obviously it was also responsible for the village being deserted). The guy was totaly uninterested in the girl's demise as he was completely enchanted by the cute little spider. The book owner warned the girl about the danger, I don't see how he might be luring her into a trap, but the girl still wanted to save the guy not seeing how he was not even willing to be saved. That cynical ending is not realy a happy one (except for the loli-spider) but it tells of a truth that japanese men are fetishists and lolicon and that a guy would prefer a cute loli-spider to an ordinary schoolgirl. Book owner is revealed to have a yokai-girl of his own as shown by that tentacle-slimy thing, so he kinda gets the guy's situation. And there may be others like that, of course.
The guy was just ordinary and he corruped realy easily, that's not your normal anime hero, but that's not an excuse to hate the ending. Not all anime have good endings, this one here is at least realistic.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Feb 5, 2017 8:09 PM

Jun 2013
Well it was quite interesting and cute in the beginning but became dark and tragic towards the end.
Mar 22, 2017 8:48 PM

Jun 2013
That was fucked up
I had just wanted to watch somehing short and cute... this was not it
Apr 25, 2017 12:08 PM

Jun 2011
That ending was fucking twisted, damn it! Really nice OVA though, props to the staffs behind this OVA, it was brilliant. I loved the setting, the adventure, I've always longed for an adventure in the wild, strolling down the pathway in a desolated village, etc. OST didn't stand out too much, but it was really pleasant which I love as well. The ending is pure wicked, even worse when they pretty much treated like it never happened. I wonder if the grandpa of the dead girl is going to make a fuss out of it, or is this spider disguising as the dead girl now?

Would've been really nice to get a full blown series out of this story.

P.S. I honestly still can't get over the ending..

edit: the art is also right up my alley, it was beautiful.
ToG25thBaamApr 25, 2017 12:12 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 3, 2017 4:45 PM

Apr 2016
fucking spiders
ew
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Sep 27, 2017 4:35 PM
May 2016
Beeing confused with the ending like many others (especialy the monster behind the screen) I searched diffrent sites and found one explanation which explaines everything pretty desently and I personaly will go with this ending.

"Judging by the monster-wife the older shopkeeper seemed to have at the end, the story was more of a "Selkie" story.

The Spider-mom would attack the village if not given a sacrifice, until the monk sealed her in the lake.

The Spider-girl would take control of people using her webs, and force them to walk into the lake to feed her mom.

It seems that Suzuri was originally going to be sacrificed, but the Spider-girl had A: Fallen for him, or B: wanted to repay his kindness and thus fed Mizuki to the Spider-mom and took her role as Suzuri's companion in Mizuki's form.

Lots of legends, both Japanese and European tell of women that were originally spirits, animals, or both, that can take on human form to be the wife of a human, such as Selkies or the Legend of the Swan. Usually the myths end with the spirit wanting to return home, either leaving the husband or in some versions taking him with them.

As aficionados of old books, legends and myths, the two book-sellers would be familiar with these legends, as hinted at with the older man's "Wife" seen in the last few shots.

Whether there was any romantic reasons for the Spider-girl staying with Suzuri doesn't matter; most likely, she was using him to eventually find more food for her trapped mother. It's mostly left up to the viewer what the Spider-Girl's intentions were and why she is staying with Suzuri in Mizuki's form."

Show was a clear 10/10.
Mar 11, 2018 6:37 AM
Jul 2014
This was a very fun anime to watch. However i'm still left with a "WTF" after that ending. I mean really? How am i supposed to take that. It makes me want to not like the anime at all. Talk about no closure.
Mar 12, 2018 11:33 AM

Sep 2013
Wow...when the girl fell my jaw just dropped.

8/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 3, 2018 3:43 PM

Oct 2015
So the girl spider killed Mizuki, what a surprise and sudden. She definitely wasn't adorable at all, she was creepy even when she was supposed to be cute. I hate and am afraid of spiders, they creepy and have those eyes & legs.

I still don't know if Suzuri was controlled or he was the reincarnation of the onmyouji in the book, the way he reacted when the girl spider fed Mizuki to the mother spider was cold and numb. But either it wasn't bad, only touch ups there and there.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 20, 2018 10:05 AM

Jan 2013
That was interesting, but the ending was... weird.
Didn't really like it too much.
Jan 30, 2019 5:44 AM

Sep 2015
My mouth still open.

To be fair the girl was the one who removed the seal.
Feb 18, 2019 8:51 AM

May 2018
what the f

that end caught me off of guard
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» ED theme

DROP_TABLE_users - May 10, 2012

1 by XCT3 »»
Oct 2, 2018 5:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.