Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2012 7:38 PM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh god, what a great, great episode T_T
Hikaru, stop pushing away all your Go club friends! D; Everyone's working so hard for the tournament ... Akari, Yuki, Kaneko ... they all want the best for you! :( Tsubaki and Kawai and everyone too! D: If only he'd gone and helped them in the club but ... of course I knew he wouldn't T_T
Well at least he went to watch them at the tournament ... even if he could barely convince himself to go in :S He was remembering when he played in the tournament ... and he knows he wants to play. Gosh, this is so sad to watch :( Especially the scene in his bedroom when he was in his bed and he looked towards his Go board and was remembering Sai ... T_T
Next episode Isumi comes back to play Hikaru! :O Oh and it's Akira again and wow his face looks really weird lol O_O NOT TO MENTION THAT HORRENDOUS PURPLE SUIT PINK SHIRT YELLOW TIE COMBINATION ... Seriously WTF LOL ;S
Feb 24, 2013 3:33 PM

Apr 2011
I understand that Hikaru's a teenager and he just lost his constant companion of 2 years' running ... but does he understand how incredibly selfish he's being? Not only is he letting down everyone who's cheering for him, he's destroying the last bit of Sai's legacy by refusing to use what he taught him. If only Sai had explained more about his thoughts near the end, where he realized that his thousand-year existence was to start Hikaru on the path of Go.

At the end I wanted to grab him and shake him. Sai's ALREADY gone, refusing to play Go is only ensuring that he has no further existence at all. Pull your head out of your ass Hikaru! Get in there and play some freaking Go!
Mar 25, 2014 7:34 AM
Apr 2013
I agree with Blind Guardian. There seems to be a flaw in Hikaru's way of thinking.
May 2, 2014 2:01 PM

Jun 2011
HiNT74 said:
I agree with Blind Guardian. There seems to be a flaw in Hikaru's way of thinking.

Not really, because ...
Blind_Guardian said:
I understand that Hikaru's a teenager and he just lost his constant companion of 2 years' running ... but does he understand how incredibly selfish he's being? Not only is he letting down everyone who's cheering for him, he's destroying the last bit of Sai's legacy by refusing to use what he taught him. If only Sai had explained more about his thoughts near the end, where he realized that his thousand-year existence was to start Hikaru on the path of Go.

At the end I wanted to grab him and shake him. Sai's ALREADY gone, refusing to play Go is only ensuring that he has no further existence at all. Pull your head out of your ass Hikaru! Get in there and play some freaking Go!

... he is indeed selfish, nothing suggest he has to continue playing Go for someone else sake and he didn't know about the second bolded, so really, it wasn't a flaw in his way of thinking. Hikaru was partially blaming himself for Sai's disappearance, and he want Sai back no matter what, he didn't even have the chance to apologize for saying those horrible things in the past. If you look at things from his point of view, you might understand him better.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 11, 2014 10:02 AM

May 2012
Some story development again well at least better than those useless fillers...
Jul 1, 2014 10:04 PM

Aug 2009
Yes Hikaru you said some pretty cruel stuff to Sai so eat it up. And never apologized either.

Aug 5, 2015 8:06 AM

Jan 2015
This show has gone really far downhill... I cannot envision a satisfying ending in a mere 7 episode span. Though if there were more, I would have probably dropped the thing by now.
Oct 19, 2017 2:38 PM

Sep 2013
This sulking is dragging on to long, the show really needs to move forward now.
Mar 11, 2018 4:41 PM

Jan 2017
Glad that i skip all those side story. Someone please slap this boy in the face! Wake him up
Aug 9, 2018 6:28 AM

Feb 2013
Lol, he should stop running away from everyone and talk about his problem.
Jun 24, 2019 8:13 AM
Dec 2012
If this show wasn't nearly finished, I wouldn't continue it. Ever since he decided to quit playing the show has been a fucking slog.
Nov 24, 2019 10:07 AM

Oct 2015
I can't believe Hikaru is bent on quitting, I understand he doesn't want to play because he thinks he might not see Sai forever. But Sai was doing it all for him, quitting would only set what Sai has achieved back.

I see he still loves Go though.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 28, 2020 8:08 AM

Dec 2007
the absence of sai from the anime could have been better if hikaru wouldn't be that pathetic, it really brings down the show in this part of the anime, too bad that the conclusion is only in ep70 (i think) hikaru really think only about himself.
it's always good to see the go club, especially akari, and mitani grew a lot.
Dec 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Jul 2013
I feel like people are being too hard on Hikaru, he is mourning and depressed and he can't really talk about it to anyone since who is gonna believe him that his ghost friend passed on? It doesn't help that Sai left when things were rocky though thats more of an issue with the writing. Hikaru is acting pretty much how I would expect he would as a fallout of the previous circumstances. It's just those previous circumstances were poorly written.
Dec 5, 2022 8:43 PM
Nov 2018
These past few episodes have been painful and a bit of a slog, even though I was expecting it based on the reviews that I have read. However, I think Hikaru's thoughts at the end of the episode finally give us the context and the explanation we've been needing for the way he's been acting. Its obvious that Hikaru misses Sai, and also that he regrets how he treated Sai during their time together, but I think that Hikaru's main reservation is that he's terrified about moving on and living up to the potential of someone taught by Sai. We see this in the "ghost room" in the "Go Institute", where Hikaru laments not letting Sai play all the games. And we see it in this episode, where Hikaru is so traumatized that just to enter a room where Go is being played, he has a physical reaction.

Hikaru is clearly grieving throughout the last few episodes. Looking at the 5 Stages of Grief, I thought that Episode 63 he might have turned the corner, accepting that "Sai is gone". Its clear though that he's remained depressed about the disappearance up to this point. And I can't blame him. I can't imagine making such a close friend, one who I literally spend all of my time with, who lives in my head, just to have them abruptly disappear like that. I hope that this episode we actually see Hikaru turn a corner. If Sai is watching over Hikaru, I imagine he's heartbroken right now. Sai would want Hikaru to keep playing and master the divine move for him. I hope Hikaru realizes that soon.

I think this anime is a lot more realistic in terms of its characters then I'm used to. Hikaru is a flawed character. He treats his mother and Akari terribly. He has a forceful personality and tends to get carried away without considering others, as is shown during this episode with the Yuki flashbacks. But in this way, Hikaru acts like you would expect a 9th grader to act, rather than being some shonen Mary Sue, and so I feel he's an interesting, albeit frustrating character. I still feel he has a lot of room to grow, and I think he'll grow up to be a very kind and eccentric person. I do wish we could have seen more of that character growth during the actual anime though. Here's hoping that Hikaru can turn a new leaf, apologize and mend relationships with the people he's neglected, and move forward.
Oct 29, 2023 3:17 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Hikaru continues with the doubts!!! kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hikaru no Go Episode 22 Discussion

EvianBubble - Apr 1, 2012

7 by Horshu »»
Apr 4, 1:45 PM

Poll: » Hikaru no Go Episode 20 Discussion

13 by Horshu »»
Apr 4, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Hikaru no Go Episode 17 Discussion

8 by Horshu »»
Apr 4, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Hikaru no Go Episode 75 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - May 21, 2009

54 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Jan 23, 3:07 PM

» Help: Hikaru no Go filler episodes?

JoNuttanon1994 - Dec 27, 2023

1 by Cottard29 »»
Dec 29, 2023 3:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.