Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Manga Rankings for Apr 30 - May 6

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
#1
May 9, 2012 5:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4384
Here are the weekly manga & light novels rankings for April 30th - May 6th.

Ranks/ This week's sales by copies/ Cumulative sales/ Titles
Manga
*1, 2,275,453 2,275,453 One Piece vol.66
*2, *,847,826 *,847,826 Naruto vol.60
*3, *,333,085 *,333,085 Bakuman vol.18
*4, *,131,347 *,131,347 Gate 7 vol.3
*5, *,*81,173 *,*81,173 Vampire Knight vol.16
*6, *,*68,208 *,*68,208 Toshokan Sensou: Love & War vol.9
*7, *,*60,492 *,*60,492 Tegami Bachi vol.14
*8, *,*59,271 *,453,940 Fairy Tail vol.32
*9, *,*57,569 *,*90,239 Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu vol.4
10, *,*56,381 *,258,103 Giant Killing vol.23

11, *,*55,853 *,108,716 Junjou Romantica vol.15
12, *,*55,013 *,449,052 Gin no Saji vol.3
13, *,*45,317 *,*45,317 Nisekoi vol.1
14, *,*42,823 *,*83,829 Oyasumi Punpun vol.10
15, *,*39,085 1,042,175 Thermae Romae vol.1
16, *,*37,554 *,563,376 Shingeki no Kyojin vol.7
17, *,*37,059 *,858,539 Thermae Romae vol.2
18, *,*36,739 *,*36,739 Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa vol.3
19, *,*35,824 *,931,591 Hunter x Hunter vol.30
20, *,*35,070 *,322,604 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8: Jojolion vol.2

21, *,*33,822 *,607,120 Thermae Romae vol.4
22, *,*33,203 *,721,624 Thermae Romae vol.3
23, *,*32,600 *,*32,600 Tegami Bachi vol.14 with a booklet
24, *,*32,570 *,*75,840 Kannagi vol.7
25, *,*32,397 3,130,268 One Piece vol.65
26, *,*31,578 *,*85,812 Usotsuki Lily vol.7
27, *,*31,348 *,317,060 Ao Haru Ride vol.4
28, *,*31,120 *,612,761 Gin no Saji vol.1
29, *,*30,819 *,580,712 Gin no Saji vol.2
30, *,*30,231 *,*58,499 Shinya Shokudou vol.9

Light Novels
*1, 21,758 *28,643 Medaka Box vol.1
*2, 20,290 121,647 Kotenbu series vol.1 Hyouka
*3, 17,759 *47,126 Touhou Symposium of Post-mysticism
*4, 16,620 208,499 Bokura ga Ita
*5, 15,527 *43,192 Himeiden
*6, 14,441 *60,376 Kotenbu series vol.2
*6, 13,988 738,215 Biblia Koshoten no Jikentecho vol.1
*7, 13,214 *21,275 Mismarka Kokoku Monogatari vol.10
*8, 12,170 514,732 Biblia Koshoten no Jikentecho vol.2
*9, 11,525 *52,723 Kotenbu series vol.3
10, 10,910 192,165 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.10
11, 10,733 *18,996 Maria-sama ga Miteru vol.39
12, 10,605 *17,217 Hayo no Tsurugi vol.6 Part 12
13, 10,573 *74,079 Kotenbu series vol.4
14, *9,844 *51,457 Mayo Chiki! vol.11

Source: Oricon Youtaiju
 
#2
May 9, 2012 5:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 318
ugh, no chihayafuru again, this saddens me
 
#3
May 9, 2012 5:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 468
With the high rankings, popularity, and color pages given to Nisekoi, I was expecting it to have sold more copies. But hell, 45+K is not shabby at all for a first week and first volume release.

One Piece, selling like hotcakes as always, and I can't recall ever seeing Tegami Bachi on the list. I may have not looked carefully, correct me if I'm wrong.
 
#4
May 9, 2012 6:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 403
no Magico this time.. aaah.. i hope it could sell better..

 
#5
May 9, 2012 6:06 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 384
Bakuman got to number 3, not bad.
 
#6
May 9, 2012 6:46 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 52385
first time i heard about Gate 7 looks cool from the reviews and its made by CLAMP
 
#7
May 9, 2012 7:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 133
Glad to see Punpun is still up there, and lmao Tegami Bachi with a booklet
 
#8
May 9, 2012 7:22 PM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 900
I wonder what's with the sudden surge in sales for Thermae Romae. Did the DVDs recently come out or something?
 
#9
May 9, 2012 7:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 143
One piece on top of the leaderboards as usual! I can't judge if it's good or not since I have yet to get into the series. Overall, not a bad list I guess, at least, compared to other weeks.
[color=#993300]
"I commend your courage, but I will show you no mercy."[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlCIPj1ZoM0]
[/color]
[/url]



 
May 9, 2012 7:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1048
One Piece sold more than two million copies for this week... Wow...Just wow...
 
May 9, 2012 8:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 5445
Hey, Nisekoi and Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa up there, good to see them.
 
May 9, 2012 8:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 482
Kinda surprised to see Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu in there.
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
 
May 9, 2012 8:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2542
dtshyk said:
Here are the weekly manga & light novels rankings for April 30th - May 6th.

Ranks/ This week's sales by copies/ Cumulative sales/ Titles
Manga
*1, 2,275,453 2,275,453 One Piece vol.66
11, *,*55,853 *,108,716 Junjou Romantica vol.15


Love them^^

 
May 9, 2012 8:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4874
Parkur said:
ugh, no chihayafuru again, this saddens me


The release date between volumes is around 3 months. So I wouldn't go looking for vol17 until mid-June.

 
May 9, 2012 9:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 4283
*1, 2,275,453 2,275,453 One Piece vol.66
*2, *,847,826 *,847,826 Naruto vol.60
No surprise here. XD
I find it pretty amazing that One piece is not only always first, but has also sold double, almost triple that of second place. Oda's fame. XD

Tegami Bachi vol.14
Hunter x Hunter vol.30
Yay! :D

Gin no Saji vol.3
Nisekoi vol.1
Congrats to Komi-sensei! Good job to Gin no Saji too.

Kotenbu series vol.1 Hyouka
Oyasumi Punpun vol.10
I want to read these...
Modified by Mirorin, May 9, 2012 9:06 PM
 
May 9, 2012 9:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 96
jmal said:
Numi said:
I wonder what's with the sudden surge in sales for Thermae Romae. Did the DVDs recently come out or something?

They did, although they sold virtually nothing.


The live action movie just came out though, and apparantly it's doing very well.
 
May 9, 2012 10:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 201
A lot of stupid shoujo type stuff I don't care for on this list. Doesn't really matter in the end though. All this list showed was that the middle market is seeing expansion on the amount of top selling shoujo type stuff; but that doesn't change the fact that the upper tier sales are still predominately shounen. Shows the state of the industry overall though. The only thing that's unanimous is that people always buy one piece and might take a look at a series like naruto here and there.

What's really surprising is this Gin no Saji. Fairly new manga with a crazy amount of sales. Once again depressing me on the power of slice of life in the manga/anime era we now live in.
 
May 10, 2012 12:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 184
Oh wow Thermae Romae's first volume sold alredy over 1 million and the second close to it.
One piece first as usual ♥
and Bakuman 3rd !
 
May 10, 2012 12:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2736
shellykanto said:
One Piece sold more than two million copies for this week... Wow...Just wow...


2 million+ first week sales is pretty mutch the standard for OP in the last 2 years ;)
 
May 10, 2012 1:11 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1241
Yay! Bakuman selling well towards the last volume~ <3
 
May 10, 2012 1:19 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 3042
Daimyo said:
A lot of stupid shoujo type stuff I don't care for on this list. Doesn't really matter in the end though. All this list showed was that the middle market is seeing expansion on the amount of top selling shoujo type stuff; but that doesn't change the fact that the upper tier sales are still predominately shounen. Shows the state of the industry overall though. The only thing that's unanimous is that people always buy one piece and might take a look at a series like naruto here and there.


excuse me? as a shoujo reader I take offense against what you just said. STUPID SHOUJO? Yea, shonen will always be dominant as it appeals to both boys and girls but shoujo only appeals to girls? its natural it doesn't sell as much!

but, besides the point, just cuz you don't like it don't call it stupid. Ao Haru Ride and Usotsuki Lily are two titles loved by both japanese AND foreign audiences.

if they were so 'stupid' they wouldn't sell well. don't bash something just cuz you don't care about it. others do care. and by calling shoujo stupid you're calling thepeople who read it stupid.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
 
May 10, 2012 1:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3262
@phoenix.

Chill girl ;)

"but shoujo only appeals to girls? its natural it doesn't sell as much! "

That is not the case. I love some good shoujo ;)
 
May 10, 2012 1:56 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 3042
Sir_Lexa said:
@phoenix.

Chill girl ;)

"but shoujo only appeals to girls? its natural it doesn't sell as much! "

That is not the case. I love some good shoujo ;)


....really? are you serious? what titles do you read? :O
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
 
May 10, 2012 2:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 100
Sir_Inqed said:
With the high rankings, popularity, and color pages given to Nisekoi, I was expecting it to have sold more copies. But hell, 45+K is not shabby at all for a first week and first volume release.


Nisekoi is completely out of stock on several online retail sites including Amazon and has also sold out in many bookstores in Japan.
 
May 10, 2012 2:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 667
Gate7 ♥
 
May 10, 2012 4:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3262
phoenixalia said:
Sir_Lexa said:
@phoenix.

Chill girl ;)

"but shoujo only appeals to girls? its natural it doesn't sell as much! "

That is not the case. I love some good shoujo ;)


....really? are you serious? what titles do you read? :O


I am reading quite the bunch of Shoujo titles. Blame our city library who have picked up alot of them lately xD
Shoujo titles I am reading at the moment. Some I enjoy, some I don't. (Check my list for more on this topic)

 
May 10, 2012 6:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 274
Shoujou may appeal mainly to girls but like shounen attracts girls shoujou also attracts some guys
 
May 10, 2012 9:44 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 3042
jmal said:
phoenixalia said:
....really? are you serious? what titles do you read? :O

Would it really be that shocking for a guy to read shoujo? Plenty of guys watch shoujo anime too.


maybe its because the forums I've been on..well, don't have any guys. well, you learn something new everyday. ;D
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
 
May 10, 2012 9:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1745
dtshyk said:
13, *,*45,317 *,*45,317 Nisekoi vol.1


Not bad, Nisekoi~
 
May 10, 2012 10:34 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 271
It's really invredible how One Piece sells so much in just one week.... Almost 3 times the sales on the second one(Naruto)....
Nisekoi selling well for it's first volume...
I want to know what is the plot of Biblia Koshoten no Jikentecho.... It appears on the list for LONG time.... a selling well...
 
May 10, 2012 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3339
bow down to one piece and naruto people
 
May 10, 2012 8:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 201
phoenixalia said:
Daimyo said:
A lot of stupid shoujo type stuff I don't care for on this list. Doesn't really matter in the end though. All this list showed was that the middle market is seeing expansion on the amount of top selling shoujo type stuff; but that doesn't change the fact that the upper tier sales are still predominately shounen. Shows the state of the industry overall though. The only thing that's unanimous is that people always buy one piece and might take a look at a series like naruto here and there.


excuse me? as a shoujo reader I take offense against what you just said. STUPID SHOUJO? Yea, shonen will always be dominant as it appeals to both boys and girls but shoujo only appeals to girls? its natural it doesn't sell as much!

but, besides the point, just cuz you don't like it don't call it stupid. Ao Haru Ride and Usotsuki Lily are two titles loved by both japanese AND foreign audiences.

if they were so 'stupid' they wouldn't sell well. don't bash something just cuz you don't care about it. others do care. and by calling shoujo stupid you're calling thepeople who read it stupid.


To be completely honest with you, it makes no difference to me whether or not you are offended by what I said. That being said, I want you to know that just because I find shoujo manga stupid, does not mean I find the people who read them to be equally stupid. Though your lack of reading comprehension is starting to make me draw a comparison.

Lots of stupid things are popular these days. Does not necessarily make them good. To base an argument solely on that fact, is logical fallacy; argumentum ad populum
 
May 10, 2012 10:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 201
jmal said:
Daimyo said:
Lots of stupid things are popular these days. Does not necessarily make them good. To base an argument solely on that fact, is logical fallacy; argumentum ad populum

Being popular does not make something good, no. But neither does your subjective, unilateral proclamation that they are bad make them bad. Two way street, that.


I could de-construct why they are bad. In fact, I have done this many times already. However, this is not the purpose of this thread. If you want to hear a lengthy tirade on why I dislike shoujo's, feel free to message me on my profile or read one of my equally long winded reviews.
 
May 11, 2012 1:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 995
*3, *,333,085 *,333,085 Bakuman vol.18
13, *,*45,317 *,*45,317 Nisekoi vol.1
19, *,*35,824 *,931,591 Hunter x Hunter vol.30

Love them especially Nisekoi

*2, 20,290 121,647 Kotenbu series vol.1 Hyouka
*6, 14,441 *60,376 Kotenbu series vol.2
*9, 11,525 *52,723 Kotenbu series vol.3
13, 10,573 *74,079 Kotenbu series vol.4

Guess the anime give a positive effect to the sales ;)
 
May 11, 2012 6:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 729
Its awesome to see how well Nisekoi sold. Apparently it sold out at a lot of stores so Jump may not have printed enough copies.
 
May 12, 2012 3:16 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 3042
Daimyo said:
phoenixalia said:
Daimyo said:
A lot of stupid shoujo type stuff I don't care for on this list. Doesn't really matter in the end though. All this list showed was that the middle market is seeing expansion on the amount of top selling shoujo type stuff; but that doesn't change the fact that the upper tier sales are still predominately shounen. Shows the state of the industry overall though. The only thing that's unanimous is that people always buy one piece and might take a look at a series like naruto here and there.


excuse me? as a shoujo reader I take offense against what you just said. STUPID SHOUJO? Yea, shonen will always be dominant as it appeals to both boys and girls but shoujo only appeals to girls? its natural it doesn't sell as much!

but, besides the point, just cuz you don't like it don't call it stupid. Ao Haru Ride and Usotsuki Lily are two titles loved by both japanese AND foreign audiences.

if they were so 'stupid' they wouldn't sell well. don't bash something just cuz you don't care about it. others do care. and by calling shoujo stupid you're calling thepeople who read it stupid.


To be completely honest with you, it makes no difference to me whether or not you are offended by what I said. That being said, I want you to know that just because I find shoujo manga stupid, does not mean I find the people who read them to be equally stupid. Though your lack of reading comprehension is starting to make me draw a comparison.

Lots of stupid things are popular these days. Does not necessarily make them good. To base an argument solely on that fact, is logical fallacy; argumentum ad populum


Well usually stupid people do stupid things don't they? Why would an intelligent person read something stupid?

And lots of things are ALSO not popular nowadays are quite good too. It applies both ways.
Daimyo said:
jmal said:
Daimyo said:
Lots of stupid things are popular these days. Does not necessarily make them good. To base an argument solely on that fact, is logical fallacy; argumentum ad populum

Being popular does not make something good, no. But neither does your subjective, unilateral proclamation that they are bad make them bad. Two way street, that.


I could de-construct why they are bad. In fact, I have done this many times already. However, this is not the purpose of this thread. If you want to hear a lengthy tirade on why I dislike shoujo's, feel free to message me on my profile or read one of my equally long winded reviews.

just cuz you dislike it doesn't make it bad. one's garbage is another person's treasure. even if you don't like it, express it in reviews on MAL and such.

If you post on a topic like this, you're bound to irk some people, a.k.a fans.

shoujo sells less than shounen, I won't deny it but if shoujo is read by so many women in japan and outside japan, you're saying they're all reading trash.

Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
 
May 13, 2012 3:21 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 7
*2, *,847,826 *,847,826 Naruto vol.60
By The Way this is Highest sales 4 Naruto in The 1st week since oricon started 2 put the numbers in 2008
 
May 15, 2012 7:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 110
Tensai_Cassio said:
It's really invredible how One Piece sells so much in just one week.... Almost 3 times the sales on the second one(Naruto)....
Nisekoi selling well for it's first volume...
I want to know what is the plot of Biblia Koshoten no Jikentecho.... It appears on the list for LONG time.... a selling well...


i was thinking the exact same thing Tensai. for it to have this much staying power in the charts it must be pretty damn good. i looked on Baka-Tsuki to see if anyone was translating it....but alas, no dice.
does ANYONE know what its about?
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top