Forum Settings
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
May 1, 2012 1:03 PM

Feb 2010
Everybody seems to praise the Manga more than the Anime.

Since i'm a huge fan of Fairy Tail (Anime) and i can't bring myself to read Manga in generally, especially action genres with fighting scenes
(i guess i have a poor imagination to do so or i'm just to lazy to use it :-) and seriously without the Music it looses a great deal of impact or of that matter without the voices ... hmm seems i'm drifting away from the subject, anyway back to my question) i would like to know whats the difference between them? Is the Anime way of from the original Story or is it something else ?

Please answer without spoiling anything, for example like this "yeah the story is not/a bit/a lot different and Gray/Natsu/Erza is more badass/funny in the Manga" or something like that.

Thanks in advance
May 1, 2012 1:11 PM

Jan 2008
No fillers and less of Lucy's annoying voice.
May 1, 2012 1:12 PM

Jun 2011
the Manga looks like One Piece.
May 1, 2012 1:13 PM

Aug 2010
It moves less and is a fair bit quieter.

Edit - But seriously, you like Fairy Tails fight scenes? they look worse than Pokemon battles in the cartoon.
walktheplankMay 1, 2012 1:17 PM
May 1, 2012 1:20 PM

May 2011
Basically, the manga isn't censored like the anime and Mashima's drawings are always neat and organized.

The anime is pretty accurate, the only downfall is the censorship which lightens the impact of a scene. Also, I sometimes use anime OSTs while reading scenes that require them, so in a way you have the option to set the mood too.
May 1, 2012 1:26 PM

Nov 2008
Manga nerds like manga ahead of anime. They'll always praise the source material more than its adaptation.
May 1, 2012 1:30 PM

Aug 2010
Sir_Drake said:
Manga nerds like manga ahead of anime. They'll always praise the source material more than its adaptation.

And in FT's case they're right. I'm usually all for cartoons ahead of mango, especially in the shounen fightan genre.
May 1, 2012 1:35 PM

Oct 2011
2 be honest i prefer the anime BUT no blood and really fast paced...but good regardless
May 1, 2012 1:52 PM

Feb 2010
KeiranShikari said:

Edit - But seriously, you like Fairy Tails fight scenes? they look worse than Pokemon battles in the cartoon.

When i said fighting scenes i didn't had Fairy Tail in mind, more like HSD Kenichi or Hajime no Ippo, although FT's fighting scenes aren't THAT bad in my opinion. Sure that could be better but we can't have anything, can we ? :)
May 1, 2012 9:04 PM

Apr 2012
Sorry to jump in and ask my own question but I was curious if the manga shows blood, because I've been watching the anime and believe the fights would seem more brutal or at least partiallly realistic if there was some blood loss (I'm not talking Berserk gore) as the fights progressed.
May 1, 2012 9:53 PM

May 2011
Pafrog said:
Sorry to jump in and ask my own question but I was curious if the manga shows blood, because I've been watching the anime and believe the fights would seem more brutal or at least partiallly realistic if there was some blood loss (I'm not talking Berserk gore) as the fights progressed.

Yeah it does, you'd be surprised just how much the anime censors the series. For example, Gajeel's fight against the 2 Grimoire Heart bros was one of the bloodiest in the manga but was pretty clean in the anime.
May 1, 2012 10:03 PM

Feb 2012
leftycool said:
Everybody seems to praise the Manga more than the Anime.

Since i'm a huge fan of Fairy Tail (Anime) and i can't bring myself to read Manga in generally, especially action genres with fighting scenes
(i guess i have a poor imagination to do so or i'm just to lazy to use it :-) and seriously without the Music it looses a great deal of impact or of that matter without the voices ... hmm seems i'm drifting away from the subject, anyway back to my question) i would like to know whats the difference between them? Is the Anime way of from the original Story or is it something else ?

Please answer without spoiling anything, for example like this "yeah the story is not/a bit/a lot different and Gray/Natsu/Erza is more badass/funny in the Manga" or something like that.

Thanks in advance
The anime follows the manga closely. There's also very little filler which is why I love it.

Compared to Naruto and Bleach, Fairy Tail is much more fast paced with less cliche shounen dialogue which translates well in the anime.

It's ok if you have a poor imagination. For me, reading manga is just a way to see ahead of the anime so that you'll know what to expect. If anything, it gets you hyped up for the anime because you can't wait to see your favorite characters upcoming fight animated.
May 1, 2012 11:25 PM

Apr 2012
-Shuda- said:
Pafrog said:

Yeah it does, you'd be surprised just how much the anime censors the series. For example, Gajeel's fight against the 2 Grimoire Heart bros was one of the bloodiest in the manga but was pretty clean in the anime.

Okay, thank you very much. I was debating on whether I should pick the manga up or not, and from all I've heard in this thread plus what you added about the manga not being censored like the anime I believe I will. Censorship in animes always seems to over-the-top to me, but I guess it also allows the anime to attract a younger audience with less trouble from protective parents, etc.
May 1, 2012 11:27 PM
Jul 2009
here are a few reason why i don't like the anime adaptation.

the pacing of each ep feels rush

although they employ lots of top tier VA the final result was extremely disappointing and irritating in some instance (especially lucy)

BGM was pretty generic

animation quality feels budgeted and not in the shaft kind of artsy way

super saiyan screams, seriously i know that it's a shonen title but when each battle scene seems like a screaming contest it gets irritating fast.

as an example for control reason i'll point to FMA brotherhood.

although FMAB also was disappointing in the fast 10 or so ep where the storyline felt rush the director pulled the momentum back and the story pacing went smoothly from there on

VA did their voice over extremely well where they convey the characters emotion in their scene excellently

BGM and theme song were memorable and fits the scene perfectly

animation quality was top notch

and although lots of screaming here too they actually animated the battle scene here rather then putting a close up of the character most of the time.
May 1, 2012 11:46 PM

Sep 2010
I love the anime and the manga, but the characters have a lot of derp faces. The animation quality has been poor as of late too either that or I was too involved with the story before to notice. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 2, 2012 4:43 AM

Aug 2010
GarethXL said:

BGM was pretty generic

OST is the only thing the anime does well.

May 2, 2012 8:40 AM

Feb 2010
As for 'No Blood'

Actually that doesn't bother me. Of course it becomes less serious without it, but the impression that i get from FT is that they don't want to be too serious, in fact in my opinion it would destroy the whole "fairy tale atmosphere" that it gives with the colors etc. if every battle would be a bloody mess.
May 2, 2012 8:49 AM

Apr 2012
Yeah, I definitely love Natsu's theme song, it's kind of unique in the way I haven't heard many OST's with that sort of oriental feel, I guess that's what I'm trying to say. Anyways it works pretty well with his character and it's different than just getting some generic battle music behind his scenes.
May 2, 2012 8:54 AM

Apr 2012
leftycool said:
As for 'No Blood'

Actually that doesn't bother me. Of course it becomes less serious without it, but the impression that i get from FT is that they don't want to be too serious, in fact in my opinion it would destroy the whole "fairy tale atmosphere" that it gives with the colors etc. if every battle would be a bloody mess.

I'm okay with the fact there is no blood on one level and on another I wish there was. I have seen animes that go way overboard with blood to where it doesn't even fit the context, like they're trying to compete with something like Elfen Lied or Berserk where the gore actually fits the story. And on another level I believe that adding some blood would make the fights more "Wow, Natsu/Erza/etc is really taking a beating." I see where you're coming from about not Fairy Tail not having blood in a way, but as other posters pointed out it was in the manga so it's more or less censorship and not a choice to have a different style.
May 2, 2012 10:10 AM

May 2011
leftycool said:
As for 'No Blood'

That makes perfect sense, Mashima even stated in an interview that that was the atmosphere he was trying to build in Fairy Tail.
--

Interview said:
Q: When you decided to start work on Fairy Tail, was there something that you really wanted to try to accomplish with this new series, or a different approach that you wanted to try compared to your work with Rave Master?

Hiro Mashima: Towards the end of Rave Master, the story was a little sentimental, a little sad. So I wanted to make this new story a lot of fun.

The main difference is that in Rave Master, the goal was to save the world. In Fairy Tail, it's all about this guild of wizards, and the jobs they have to do. It's about their everyday lives. Over time, this might change, but that's for the fans to find out as they continue to read this story! (laughs)

--

IMO, Rave Master is the story he poured his heart, soul and tears into. If you haven't read it yet, you really should. I still consider it my favourite completed manga of all time.
May 2, 2012 12:00 PM

Feb 2010
-Shuda- said:

IMO, Rave Master is the story he poured his heart, soul and tears into. If you haven't read it yet, you really should. I still consider it my favourite completed manga of all time.

Like i said before " i can't bring myself to read Manga in generally" so i haven't red it. The Anime though was a bit disappointing in my opinion and i dropped it. I don't doubt that the Manga is far better but unfortunately Manga are not my thing.
I say unfortunately because there are tons of completed Anime where the Story is continued in Manga witch i would die to know what happens next or amazing Manga where there is no Anime adaption.
I tried a few like Initial D, Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo,Vagabond ... but i didn't got into the story quiet well.
May 2, 2012 1:28 PM

May 2011
leftycool said:
-Shuda- said:

Like i said before " i can't bring myself to read Manga in generally" so i haven't red it. The Anime though was a bit disappointing in my opinion and i dropped it. I don't doubt that the Manga is far better but unfortunately Manga are not my thing.
I say unfortunately because there are tons of completed Anime where the Story is continued in Manga witch i would die to know what happens next or amazing Manga where there is no Anime adaption.

I tried a few like Initial D, Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo,Vagabond ... but i didn't got into the story quiet well.

No question about it, the Rave manga is like an entire different entity than the anime. Although I watched the anime adaption way back when I didn't have much to compare it to, I enjoyed it and I have to admit hearing some characters voices and OSTs beforehand added to the manga's overall effect. Though I understand that you don't like to read manga and that's perfectly fine.
--

My post wasn't only directed to leftycool, every single person should check out Rave one day, even if you don't like Fairy Tail. There will be some art and character similarities but the difference between the two is like red and blue. Don't judge it from the very beginning either, let it flow and prove it's worth to you as it progresses, especially near the climax.
May 2, 2012 9:25 PM
Jul 2009
KeiranShikari said:
GarethXL said:

BGM was pretty generic

OST is the only thing the anime does well.

i didn't say it was bad, just generic.

it wasn't horrible enough no make you burn your ears but it wasn't amazing where you would listen it over and over again.

and i'm judging the ost as a whole, having 2 or 3 tracks that are outstanding doesn't make an ost album standout in my book
Jul 3, 2012 9:25 AM
Jun 2011
more blood..the comedy has better timing and isn't up in your face, in the anime it kinda is like that since one point.... I agree with the music, FT OST is epic, and when the ending has a slow sad begining it realy adds an extra punch to the gut when the episode has an emotional ending, still I think the anime tries too much to be funny at wrong times
LuciusMadgloomJul 3, 2012 10:01 AM
Jul 4, 2012 7:59 AM
Jun 2012
When I watch the Anime I don't feel the same excitement I feel in the Manga
The Manga seems more serious and more epic
To be honest sometimes I feel that Fairy Tail Anime is a gag more than a story
Jun 18, 2017 4:12 AM
Jun 2017
Sorry to ask but I actually haven't watch the anime and is wondering if I missed out on anything in the anime, like extra scenes or anything like that.
Jun 18, 2017 4:23 AM

Dec 2015
_beezydesu_ said:
Sorry to ask but I actually haven't watch the anime and is wondering if I missed out on anything in the anime, like extra scenes or anything like that.
Probably the only thing you missed are the filler episodes. Also, the thread was made half a decade ago mate, I doubt anyone will respond...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 19, 2017 9:36 AM
Feb 2017
gallivant said:

Pokemon and cartoon, are you kidding me?
Jun 19, 2017 12:08 PM

Feb 2015
joe_g7 said:
_beezydesu_ said:
Probably the only thing you missed are the filler episodes. Also, the thread was made half a decade ago mate, I doubt anyone will respond...

Well the OP is still active on MAL and even after 5 years he still hasn't read the manga... smh
Jun 19, 2017 12:41 PM

Feb 2015
_beezydesu_ said:

I thought some of the battles were better done in the anime than in the manga, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. By not watching the anime you also miss out on the amazing soundtrack that adds a lot to the scenes. If you don't feel like sitting through 250+ episodes, it might be worth checking out at least some of the key moments from the anime.

GarethXL said:
the pacing of each ep feels rush

At least it has a strong pacing, especially in the first half of the anime. It doesn't feel like they're stretching out stuff just to reach the 20 minute episode mark.

GarethXL said:
although ty employ lots of top tier VA the final result was extremely disappointing and irritating in some instance (especially lucy)

Lucy's voice is totally fine, both English and Japanese.

GarethXL said:
BGM was pretty generic

How is the OST in any way generic? Do you even know what that word means? Because Fairy Tail's OST is far more unique than at least 90% of other anime I've watched.

GarethXL said:
animation quality feels budgeted and not in the shaft kind of artsy way

Not any less budgeted than any other long-running shounen series. It does the job just fine.
MilenninJun 19, 2017 12:48 PM
Jun 24, 2017 3:42 AM

Apr 2014
The anime is heavily censored, amd the animation was subpar at best.
Jun 24, 2017 6:48 AM
Jun 2017
For me I feel that both manga and anime are the same. XD
Jun 27, 2017 12:11 PM

Sep 2014
King_The2nd said:
For me I feel that both manga and anime are the same. XD

This. Except for the AMAZING ost anime has, manga and anime are pretty much the same. The pacing is right, the VAs are good (idk what's people's problem with Lucy) and it doesn't really cut stuff either.

People saying it's significantly worse than manga are delusional af.
Jun 27, 2017 5:34 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
It doesn't take as long to read as it does to watch = don't have to suffer as long
Jun 28, 2017 4:30 AM
Feb 2017
FastnessofWheels said:
the Manga looks like One Piece.
well, mashima and oda were students on the same manga teacher
Sep 9, 2017 6:23 AM
Jul 2017
Well, the manga has a lot of blood and gore, that the anime does not,
Also the manga has much more fanservice in comparison

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 268 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BackLashWave - Jan 27, 2012

52 by aod-kun »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 46 Discussion

Cali4nian - Oct 12, 2009

10 by MAYANK22 »»
Apr 21, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 418 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Darklight0303 - Feb 2, 2015

185 by shinytrains »»
Apr 13, 1:00 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 251 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Sep 17, 2011

81 by aod-kun »»
Apr 6, 5:15 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 248 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Aug 27, 2011

75 by aod-kun »»
Apr 5, 9:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.