Jul 2009
Saber vs Gilgamesh?.. Nope
This is the real Ultimate battle.
For you, what OP Theme is the best?

Oath Sign(by Lisa)
Link → http://vimeo.com/30168196

To the Beginning(by Kalafina)
Link → http://vimeo.com/40814077
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 24, 2012 12:46 PM

Jul 2009
Sorry but, for me it is really hard to choose between these 2 masterpiece songs.
Both songs are really amazing, an orgasm for your ears. The art used in both openings are beyond any other opening theme i saw on my life.
Lisa's voice is one of the best female voices ever
Kalafina is a GODLY band, All Hail Yuki Kajiura.

My vote is for the third option
KyonSmithApr 24, 2012 12:50 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2012 1:05 PM
Sep 2009
To the Beginning, because I've already read the LN and feel that the second song is more related to the story.
Apr 24, 2012 1:22 PM

Mar 2010
Oath Sign. If it was only music then definitelly To the Beginning (Kalafina's songs have a huge power). However, since it's about opening themes, animation is a huge part of it for me.

Oath Sign left much greater impact on me, the animation is in nearlyperfect sync with the sound, the introduction of the contestants of the battle over Holy Grail is incredible and it protrays the fighting style/attitude of everyone important. The only flaw I see in Oath Sign is that in the charatcer intro, you can't see all heroic spirits with their masters, only a few of them but that's not such a drawback, since it's most likely to give some tone of mystery about spirits to it. Oh, and (not really a flaw just a negative note) it doesn't feel unusual, it's very good both music wise and animation wise but 90% of the better fighting anime openings have the same feel.

To the Beginning is superior music wise and far inferior animation and fluency wise. Most of the time the animaton doesn't go along the song and it fails to catch the power of the song, what is very disappointing. The flow of the animation is equal to the song only in very few scenes. It feels way too rushed and not thought through what is dumb considering that they took several months break to make the show perfect. The charatcer introduction makes me feel/tells me nothing and you can't get even basic understanding of their attitude from it (if it changed compared to the first one or stayed the same). The charatcers feel emotionless themselves as if they were just figurines. You can't see who they are, just what they look like unlike Oath Sign. And since now it's probably going to be more drama than 1st season, it's a huge drawback.

Both openings, however, fit to the season they're in. Oath Sign is more actiony, while To the Beginning is more emotional. But I still feel they could have done MUCH better job with a song like To the Beginning.
Apr 24, 2012 1:33 PM
Dec 2007
I think I have no idea what people wanted from the To The Begginning's animation sequence? More action maybe? That would have been awfully out of place. I find To the Begginning to be on top here. Oath Sign is just pure eyecandy and a catchy J-Pop song. To the Begginning has that same feeling the series evokes, mainly because it was written by the same person who wrote all the music and the themes it carry convey perfectly what Fate/Zero is going through right now. You're not meant to get a feeling of "wow, cool action" when you see FateZero (although it does have it) rather it's supposed to be heavy and dark.

It reminds me a lot of the last Kalafina song I heard, Magia, Madoka Magica's ED which is just 1 very simple animation of a Shadow running through even more Shadows. It was simple but the song was enough to provoke that very heavy feeling and the thematic was very easy to see. To the Begginning has a theme, Oath Sign didn't.
Leon-GunApr 24, 2012 1:39 PM

Apr 24, 2012 1:38 PM

Dec 2008
It's impossible to choose only one. I love both, Oath Sign makes me happy and To The Beginning touch my heart ahuahuahuah
Apr 24, 2012 1:38 PM

Sep 2010
Fate/Zero's second opening > Fate/Zero's first opening

Fate/Zero's first ending > Fate/Zero's second ending
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 24, 2012 1:41 PM

Jun 2009
I love both songs. But they are just too different to make a comparison. 'love them both.
Apr 24, 2012 1:43 PM

Dec 2009
I have to go with To the Beginning.
Kalafina + Yuki Kajiura is just too strong.

I love Oath Sign too though.
Apr 24, 2012 1:44 PM

Jun 2009
I prefer To the Beginning because it completely fits the mood of the overall series. Oath Sign sounded pretty good, but I ultimately prefer this newer OP.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2012 2:30 PM

Apr 2007
Easily to the beginning, both video and music wise.

I found Oath Sign's video to be disappointing. It may flow well with the music and the fighting does fit the more upbeat tune, but some scenes are random and repetitive and in the end feel out of place to me. Also Saber flying in the air or whatever at the end is weird.

Agreeing with what was already said, to the beginning is more fitting for FZ. And seeing the characters casually in their 'home', with mostly only their back visible, still brings out plenty of emotions imo. It always makes me think "oh...you'll be dying soon ;__;" or something depressing like that. There are also a few vague scenes with Iri and Kiritsugu that make you wonder what will happen or what it's supposed to mean. Oath Sign had none of that.
Apr 24, 2012 3:24 PM

Apr 2012
to the beginning suits the mood of the 2nd half perfectly
just look at the lyrics

oath sign on the other hand was just a run of the mill song

ending theme however...i like memoria
that sung just stuck with me
maybe its cuz of the images of the servants past lives

im still waiting for tainaka sachi to sing at least ONE insert song
come on i mean its a fate franchise...you gotta have her sing a song
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Apr 24, 2012 4:11 PM

Aug 2010
To the Beginning. I really loved Oath sign, but I believe "To The Beginning" fits Fate/Zero better.
Apr 24, 2012 4:14 PM

Dec 2008
Roloko said:

This!
Apr 24, 2012 4:45 PM
Dec 2007
ChrnoTodd said:
Roloko said:

This!
I like both endings fairly equally, but I'm very bias with my love for them Einzbern ladies (Iri + Ilya = me in heaven).

Apr 24, 2012 4:49 PM

Apr 2012
To the Beginning. I like both, I just like that one more.
Apr 24, 2012 5:56 PM

Mar 2012
They are both really good, but I'm going with Oath Sign here.
It might just be because it hasn't been long enough for To the Beginning to get stuck in my head though...

In terms of animation, they are about equal. OP1 is a lot more action-based, so it's more exciting to watch, but OP2 sets up a more somber mood and does it well.
Apr 24, 2012 6:01 PM

Nov 2011
Reposting what I said on the other thread:

To the Beginning:
Amazing OP, I didn't think this one would top Oath Sign (Oath set the bar too high) but this is really incredible. This one really fits the show better being a sad and tragic anime and all, and now I think Oath Sign gives a more shounen-y feeling. The intro is also better than Oath's even though they have the similar visual (water under bridge on Oath, Rocky terrain with swords on Beginning) and it really gets you in the mood. Animation is top-notch as well, I like the part where Kiri is floating in the water then an afterimage of Iri hugs him in the next shot.

The only thing I hate though is Maiya's entrance when the chorus kicks in, why does the character I hate the most have to enter at the best part of the song lol. I also don't like the Motorcycle scene, it's pointless and stayed too long.
Apr 24, 2012 6:14 PM

Nov 2008
I quite like the beginning of the chorus in both tracks, but I also loved Oath Sign's intro, which counts for a lot. I think the first few seconds of the OP can really do a lot to hype up the audience for the show. The animation for the second OP is more interesting and I really like how they kept the same camera movement with a contrasting scene at the beginning, but frankly I expected a slightly better song of Kalafina. It's still pretty good, sure, I would've been shocked if it weren't. It even fits the show better than Oath Sign did so I'm sure I'll at least remember it as F/Z's OP, if not in its own right. But somewhere in the back of my head, I'm thinking "is that it?". And that alone's enough to make me prefer Oath Sign.
Apr 24, 2012 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
LanceC said:

To the Beginning:
Amazing OP, I didn't think this one would top Oath Sign (Oath set the bar too high) but this is really incredible. This one really fits the show better being a sad and tragic anime and all, and now I think Oath Sign gives a more shounen-y feeling. The intro is also better than Oath's even though they have the similar visual (water under bridge on Oath, Rocky terrain with swords on Beginning) and it really gets you in the mood. Animation is top-notch as well, I like the part where Kiri is floating in the water then an afterimage of Iri hugs him in the next shot.

The only thing I hate though is Maiya's entrance when the chorus kicks in, why does the character I hate the most have to enter at the best part of the song lol. I also don't like the Motorcycle scene, it's pointless and stayed too long.

How can you hate on both Maiya and Saber on a bike? I don't understand people anymore...
Apr 24, 2012 6:54 PM

Mar 2011
ch... touch choice, I love both but voted 'to the beginning' since it fits the mood for FZ perfectly imo, I really like the lyric.

Stilll, nothing beats MEMORIA though.
Apr 24, 2012 9:43 PM

Dec 2009
I like both of them but I like Oath Sign a bit more.

Apr 24, 2012 11:35 PM

Jul 2009
LanceC said:

No bro, just no. The Motorcycle scene gives me goosebumps everytime i see it.. DAT LANDSCAPE
Apr 25, 2012 12:46 AM

Nov 2011
to the beginning for OP
MEMORIA for ED
My only dissapointment in 2nd OP is the lack of Berserker.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Apr 25, 2012 1:37 AM

May 2009
Reposting what I wrote in another thread:
stAtic91 said:
McRib said:
I still think the new OP is lazy though. It doesn't have the impact of the first one...
Because there's no action? It has a more emotional and meaningful impact for me, showing most masters and servants facing away and being all gloomy, while focusing more on Kiritsugu and foreshadowing what's to come. I prefer this opening and think it's a perfect fit for the second season. Musically, it's a lot better too, imo; but then again, I'm probably biased because it's Kalafina... Well, it's all subjective and opinions.
Apr 25, 2012 1:49 AM

Mar 2009
To the Beginning. No contest.

I love the chorus and the shot of Saber on her motorcycle.
Apr 25, 2012 1:53 AM

Jan 2010
I like Oath Sign as a song better. For some reason I remember it more than To The Beginning. Also, the first opening was, in a way, more flashy and interesting with all the things going on. Except the Saber vs. Assassin thing and the Excalibur seemed like they were included just for the heck of it.

I like To The Beginning as the opening song to Fate/zero better. The tone fits Fate/zero and the opening animation itself is more atmospheric and less actiony, which again fits Fate/zero. Though, the opening has a spoiler or three that are pretty critical to the story. That was kinda unfortunate.
ShockedApr 25, 2012 2:05 AM
Apr 25, 2012 1:54 AM

Aug 2009
I think To the Beginning has more of that melancholy that fits in Fate/Zero's tone more than Oath Sign. The OP does a good job foreshadowing some tragedy down the road, and pretty much gives you an idea on how this might end.

Though musically, I liked Oath Sign better. That's just me.
Apr 25, 2012 2:28 AM

Nov 2011
To the Beginning

Apr 25, 2012 2:39 AM

Apr 2009
As a song I like "to the beginning more" but I think that "oath sign" fitted fate/zero perfectly so I voted for the third option,since both are incredible!

Apr 25, 2012 5:34 AM
Dec 2007
Shocked said:
I like Oath Sign as a song better. For some reason I remember it more than To The Beginning. Also, the first opening was, in a way, more flashy and interesting with all the things going on. Except the Saber vs. Assassin thing and the Excalibur seemed like they were included just for the heck of it.

I like To The Beginning as the opening song to Fate/zero better. The tone fits Fate/zero and the opening animation itself is more atmospheric and less actiony, which again fits Fate/zero. Though, the opening has a spoiler or three that are pretty critical to the story. That was kinda unfortunate.
That's what you call foreshadowing. It's hard to "spoil" when you don't know what is actually spoiled. Considering you don't know it's a spoiler unless you have previous knowledge or reached certain parts of the Stay Night VN, it's perfectly fine abstract Foreshadowing.

Apr 25, 2012 7:08 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yup, foreshadowing everywhere.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 25, 2012 7:56 AM

Apr 2008
I hate to say it, but I can't choose between the two in terms of songs.

Visually, both are stunning, but in terms of animation, I'd have to go with the second opening. The scene where the camera is tracking the back of the motorcycle takes my breath away every time.

In terms of songs, "oath sign" is a good piece of orchestral rock while "to the beginning" is another good addition to Kalafina's already-impressive repertoire of baroque pop and rock. While "to the beginning" isn't Kalafina's best, it's still enjoyable. In my eyes, I see them as both equal.
Apr 25, 2012 2:00 PM

Dec 2008
I'd have to go with To the Beginning as my favorite since it played with my emotions more. Though Oath Sign did a pretty good job too.
Apr 26, 2012 11:27 AM

Jun 2008
It's tough to beat Kalafina. Oath Sign...didn't succeed.

But I do agree with all those who say Memoria > new ED.
Apr 26, 2012 12:47 PM
Dec 2007
Redfoxoffire said:

It's funny so many people claim they like it over To The Begginning when I remember the outcry of fans who hated Oath Sign's shounen-like animation and run of the mill song and were outright sad that Kalafina had not been handed either OP or ED singing roles even though Kajiura was at the helm of the show's music.

Apr 26, 2012 3:43 PM

Jul 2007
Leon-Gun said:
Redfoxoffire said:

It's funny so many people claim they like it over To The Begginning when I remember the outcry of fans who hated Oath Sign's shounen-like animation and run of the mill song and were outright sad that Kalafina had not been handed either OP or ED singing roles even though Kajiura was at the helm of the show's music.

The people raging against Oath Sign, were a completely different set of people than those who are currently stating that they preferred it to To the Beginning. As for me, it isn't even a contest, in that I vastly prefer the new OP to Oath Sign. As a standalone piece, Oath Sign wasn't necessarily bad, but it would've been horrible at indicating the mood of Fate/Zero, especially throughout the 2nd half. It was a peppy, fairly generic J-Pop piece, while To the Beginning was specifically written for the series, with lyrics that heavily reference its plot.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change, change the form of man. Free the might from fleshy mire. Boil the blood in heart of fire. Gone, gone the form of man. Rise the demon, Etrigan!
Apr 26, 2012 3:59 PM
Dec 2007
LunarMoon said:
Leon-Gun said:
Redfoxoffire said:

The people raging against Oath Sign, were a completely different set of people than those who are currently stating that they preferred it to To the Beginning. As for me, it isn't even a contest, in that I vastly prefer the new OP to Oath Sign. As a standalone piece, Oath Sign wasn't necessarily bad, but it would've been horrible at indicating the mood of Fate/Zero, especially throughout the 2nd half. It was a peppy, fairly generic J-Pop piece, while To the Beginning was specifically written for the series, with lyrics that heavily reference its plot.
I guess I agree, the fans that hated Oath sign and the ones that now defend it are much different. I mostly find the contrast between the two sets of very vocal fans interesting.

Apr 26, 2012 6:52 PM

Dec 2007
To The Beginning since I like it better both as a song and opening for the anime; I believe it fits Fate/Zero perfectly. Any Kalafina song is reminiscent of Kara no Kyoukai for me so that also contributed to how much I love the song.
Apr 27, 2012 3:27 AM

Oct 2010
LanceC said:

To the Beginning:

Yeah why does Maiya have to be there, of all people. The motorcycle scene is captivating, but too long. 3 or 4 seconds are long enough but they decided to extend to 9 seconds.

Overall the symbolism in To the Beginning is better than Oath Sign, with those lyrics and Irisviel scenes foreshadowing the incoming events.

The 2nd season's OP and ED focuses too much on Kiritsugu's team though. Not that its a bad thing (they're the main characters so they deserves that), but maybe its a little bit much. All other characters except Kirei and Tokiomi doesn't even get to show their faces.
Reim_SeranthApr 27, 2012 3:30 AM

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Apr 30, 2012 2:43 AM
Apr 2012
I think to the beginning better.FATE ZERO is a dark novel,Oath Sign don't accord with style of this novel.
Apr 30, 2012 11:38 AM
Feb 2010
to the beggining
for the endings though, its the opposite
May 1, 2012 8:28 AM

Mar 2009
As a song I like oath sign a lot, just my preference since I really like LiSA voice and the song fits her perfectly. I almost cried when girlsdemo was disbanded but was happy about her solo career.

But considering the opening as a whole, to the beginning with the opening video and the image of the series fits the show much better, it have a darker tone, well, it's just Kalafina, no surprise here, not that they can't manage something lively but it fits their voices and Kajiura style better, the animation foreshadowing a ton of stuff from the series, focusing on the main character and in the sad reality of Urobuchi works. In the opening with that video, to the beginning is just better.
May 1, 2012 6:48 PM

Mar 2012
To the Beginning has sonething nice inside it. I don't know what.

But I really prefer Oath Sign. It's the kind of song for a "Fate" series.
May 2, 2012 8:01 PM

Oct 2008
Different styles, can't really choose one.
May 26, 2012 12:23 AM

Nov 2011
"Oath Sign" is catchy and all the visuals are great. I personally find LiSA's voice much easier to listen to especially at the high point of the song when Saber uses Excalibur.
As for "To the Beginning", as many have already mentioned, the motorcycle shot is far too long and I find having Iris bleeding from the mouth and eyes a bit too much.
May 26, 2012 5:24 AM
Dec 2007
SeraVerte said:
"Oath Sign" is catchy and all the visuals are great. I personally find LiSA's voice much easier to listen to especially at the high point of the song when Saber uses Excalibur.
As for "To the Beginning", as many have already mentioned, the motorcycle shot is far too long and I find having Iris bleeding from the mouth and eyes a bit too much.
You may just wanna quit while you're ahead then...

May 26, 2012 9:21 AM

Dec 2009
Animation wise Oath/Sign wins by miles but song wise it will always be Kalafina To the Beginning. It catches well the theme of Fate/Zero thanks to Kaijura's lyrics.

Ending well, Memoria will always be the best. While the second ending is beautiful, especially if you are a fan of Kiritsugu x Iri, Memoria has the servants when they were alive. And the song is superb.
May 26, 2012 1:00 PM

Sep 2011
At First I Really Like "Oath Sign" More Than "To The Beginning" But As The Time Flies And Every Time I'm Listening "To The Beginning", I Become Liking It More Than The "Oath Sign".

May 26, 2012 1:08 PM

Mar 2012
Both are epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend code: 0688 - 6300 - 6898
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

13 by Ain2Zwei »»
Apr 15, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 9, 2012

728 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 18, 2:06 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Apr 28, 2012

585 by goodwake »»
Mar 9, 11:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.