Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 13, 2008 6:52 AM

Aug 2008
There are some anime that get spectacular reviews and deserve them in my opinion, then some that get great reviews that I just can't agree with no matter how hard I try to enjoy it. But then there are some that get not only great reviews but also a massive number of fans and the huge following just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm crazy and I can't see the qualities that give these animes such a huge fanbase.

What are some overrated anime in your opinion? (now there's a difference between overrated and one that you just didn't like. so try to keep that in mind please)

Mine are:
Fullmetal Alchemist (my friends keep bringing it up and I just can't finish an episode.)
Full Metal Panic (ironic? but yah, this too, I can't get myself to finish this series)
My Neighbor Totoro (I really don't get all the hype surrounding this one.)
Inuyasha (...no comment)
Tenchi Muyo (Another one I can't finish an episode of.)
-Study, work hard, and be successful. Nobody wants to make out with a loser.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 13, 2008 6:58 AM

Jul 2006
TTGL. After 6 episodes the characters are just getting more and more annoying. I'm going to force myself to watch this show 'til end, but might take a while.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2008 7:20 AM

Aug 2008
Monster. Don't know why I don't like it. After the first four episodes, it got quite boring. Going to endure and finish it up but not anytime soon.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Sep 13, 2008 7:23 AM

Feb 2008
ZeroSumJ1 said:
(now there's a difference between overrated and one that you just didn't like. so try to keep that in mind please)

Mine are:
Fullmetal Alchemist (my friends keep bringing it up and I just can't finish an episode.)

Hm.
Sep 13, 2008 7:40 AM

Aug 2008
Plun said:
Monster. Don't know why I don't like it. After the first four episodes, it got quite boring. Going to endure and finish it up but not anytime soon.

I probably would have said the same thing after 4 episodes, but certainly not after finishing it.

As for my own, I don't see why FMP? Fumoffu gets as highly recommended as it does. I found it mildly amusing but nothing more than that.
Sep 13, 2008 8:03 AM

Jun 2008
This is a pretty sensitive topic, imo.

Isn't something overrated based on an individual's opinion who's in a minority? I think being overrated is pretty much the same topic as "anime that you dislike that everyone else seems to like?" You, as an individual, feels that the anime should have not deserved a high rating (hence "over"rated) while it seems the majority has indeed "rated" the show with a high value. If an anime is overrated and the majority also feel the same way, then the rating would not have been high in the first place. Therefore only a handful of people will say TTGL, FMA, Code Geass, Death Note, whatever in the top 10s, 50s, 100s, etcetc is overrated. And that is true, because certainly everything in the media is flawed at some points, or many points. And certainly the top anime can only be a certain genre, or genres, not to everyone's likings. Thus there will always be people who believes an anime on the top of the list is actually the worst on their list, a bit rebellious, maybe.

It could also imply that you liked the show, but just not that much and once again, you, as an individual among the minority, believes that the rating is "over" than what you think. Once again, the topic will still be around the same as "anime that you dislike like that everyone else seems to like love?" As for an example, it could be, if you can't finish a series, that would imply that you dislike, or at least find the series boring. Therefore, implying you dislike it for being boring. In which case I would see it the same as being overrated. But if there is a difference, I would believe it is a small one.

I would assume in the future more of these top animes currently on the list will be seen as bad, or "overrated". And the ratings will probably decline, because people will first look at the hype around the anime first, before watching the anime. A selective perspective will be there before people actually watch the anime. Which is unlike the mass of people that did not watch the anime because of its hype, but due to their own curiosity. And as a result, liked the series for being _____ that made it to the top of their list; instead of judging it based on hypes, and "fandoms".

And it's fine to state what kinds of anime you disliked, since it is your opinion. And there will probably be people who will "argue" that it's really good (to them) while you may probably consequently sees it even worse than before. In summary, I just see overrated the same as disliking, or a lack of liking, to a top series that the majority has liked, or loved.

zzzZZ I must be real bored.
TachiiSep 13, 2008 8:13 AM
Sep 13, 2008 8:15 AM

May 2008
Orange-kun said:
ZeroSumJ1 said:
(now there's a difference between overrated and one that you just didn't like. so try to keep that in mind please)

Mine are:

Hm.

I second this "Hm.". To claim that a series is overrated, you need to finish more than a few episodes... you might already know it won't be your favorite anime, but saying that it's overrated sounds rather strange if you haven't even seen enough to normally rate it.

As for what I think is overrated: Cowboy Bebop.
Sep 13, 2008 8:55 AM

Jul 2008
FMA? oh, please! e_e it's popular, but not overrated ~

Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon, Digimon 'n' Bottle Fairy ~
Sep 13, 2008 9:18 AM

Apr 2007
Kionniko said:
TTGL. After 6 episodes the characters are just getting more and more annoying. I'm going to force myself to watch this show 'til end, but might take a while.
Hell yes.

Also I'll say:

FLCL
Lucky Star
Baccano!
Evangelion

They're pretty boring...

Sep 13, 2008 9:21 AM
Sep 2007
TTGL.
Sep 13, 2008 9:24 AM

Jun 2008
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is over-rated. Same with Lucky Star.
Sep 13, 2008 9:27 AM

Jul 2008
Er... forgot : Shugo Chara!

What's the big deal? ._.
Sep 13, 2008 9:28 AM

Dec 2007
Apart from the Naruto, Bleach, etc.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Ouran High School Host Club (even though I like it, I didn't find it anything near THAT good)
Lucky Star
Shugo Chara!
Azumanga Daioh
Sep 13, 2008 9:30 AM

Aug 2008
shadowanimelover said:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is over-rated.

But does anyone even hate The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Sep 13, 2008 9:31 AM

Apr 2008
TTGL!
Sep 13, 2008 9:31 AM

Dec 2007
Plun said:
shadowanimelover said:

Me?
Sep 13, 2008 9:32 AM
Jan 2008
I think Code Geass is seriously overrated. yet it's on my favs list. wtf?
Sep 13, 2008 9:36 AM

Jan 2008
10. Macross Frontier 5/10: fangirl's version of the original macross

9. Gundam00 5/10: ridiculous politics and even more ridiculous characters

8. Last Exile 5/10: the plot lacks focus

7. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 6/10: yelling, more yelling, then there is nothing more.

6. Seirei no Moribito 6/10: Nothing happened in the 15 episodes I watched.

5. Clannad 5/10: derogatory toward women

4. Infinite Ryvius 7/10: not that I hate the show, but it has a rather weak ending yet it receives so many praises.

3. Paranoia Agent 7/10: After episode 4, I thought I was watching a masterpiece. After episode 8, I thought they changed the entire staff. In the end, I cursed the writers who ruined this brilliant idea.

2. Rahxephon 5/10: I absolutely hate Rahxephon. The random introduction of so many characters, subplot that doesn't have any relations to the theme (and what theme really?), a ridiculous ending, and so on.

1. Gundam 0080 3/10: 0080 is definitely the most overrated and the worst show on this planet. I will never understand why 0080 could become one of the three santuraies of all the UC fans (08th team and 0083 are better >9000). The story doesn't make any sense at all and the characters are just terrible, especially that little brat.
Sep 13, 2008 9:37 AM

Feb 2008
If you haven't finished an anime your opinion on its rating is almost worthless.

Case in point, TTGL and TMoHS have epic endings.

If you didn't like it, that's fine, but don't claim it's overrated if you haven't finished it.
Sep 13, 2008 9:50 AM

Aug 2008
AmbulanceShotgun said:
Plun said:
shadowanimelover said:

Me?

After 6 episodes? Why!?

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Sep 13, 2008 9:56 AM

Jul 2008
Naruto (It was a good anime, but I am SICK of seeing people walking around wearing the head bands! Oh, and too many fillers!)
Bleach (Never really go into it, and I am confused on how others can.)
Death Note (It was other good anime at the beginning then it just went down hill.)
Sep 13, 2008 10:01 AM

Mar 2007
My opinion is that this has been done before.
You've come a long way, baby.
Sep 13, 2008 10:02 AM

Dec 2007
Plun said:
AmbulanceShotgun said:
Plun said:
shadowanimelover said:

Me?

After 6 episodes? Why!?

It simply didn't catch me.
There will always be someone that doesn't like something, even if the majority says yes.
Sep 13, 2008 12:22 PM

Aug 2008
I don't get the hype surrounding monster either. I've watched the first nine episodes and have fallen asleep during 2 of them. It's soooo boring. But... my best friend says it's his favorite so I will endure...

Tachii said:
This is a pretty sensitive topic, imo.
zzzZZ I must be real bored.

That would've sufficed. Because you were wrong with everything else in the between. It's true that for something to be overrated you have to be in a minority in disagreement with the majority... but the question was "What do YOU think is overrated." not "Is it justified that people find certain things overrated?" I'm asking what specific minorities specific people belong to.
You missed the point. Makes your whole analysis kinda pointless, no? Nice and wordy tho, I'm sure you impressed somebody at least.

And I agree with Hacksaw that DeathNote was good at first. I actually loved the series up until the very middle...Then it became a chore to watch.
Sep 13, 2008 1:08 PM

Jul 2008
for me FMA is the most overrated.
Reasons why I didn't think it was so good:
the characters were annoying, the voices were annoying.
The plot was ridiculous.
"its not magic, it's Science!" . . .. no, it's magic.
and it doesn't make sense that you can make infinite energy out of a finite number of people, so the whole thing didn't make any sense :(
I still kinda enjoyed it, but many people think its like THE best show ever.
Every day you spend without a smile, is a lost day.
Sep 15, 2008 5:16 PM

Jul 2008
Naruto too many flaws to type
FMA story not good enough for me
Sep 15, 2008 5:19 PM

Apr 2008
A lot of longer anime are very overrated on MAL because the people who have watched the 20-30 episodes it takes for your score to count apparently like the show.
Sep 15, 2008 5:22 PM
Oct 2007
Baccano ova, lol.
Sep 15, 2008 8:25 PM

Jun 2007
NoriChan said:
FMA? oh, please! e_e it's popular, but not overrated ~

Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon, Digimon 'n' Bottle Fairy ~

yes it is overrated poeple call it god-like i found it so frikin average, just draggy.

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Sep 15, 2008 8:28 PM

Feb 2008
I just find those long lasting anime's overated where it doesn't get to the point naruto and bleach are good examples and i just started full metal panic kinda late but hey theirs time for everything.

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven.
Sep 15, 2008 8:54 PM

Apr 2008
For me - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I rated it a 7 & I dont hate it. I just think its overrated. ^.^

Sep 15, 2008 8:58 PM

Sep 2007
NoriChan said:
Er... forgot : Shugo Chara!

What's the big deal? ._.

Shugo Chara isn't over-rated. It hardly even gets any attention.

My top 3 picks (In order):
1. Full Metal Alchemist
2. FLCL
3. Haruhi (It's not bad, but I don't understand the gigantic following)

Did you know there's a Phantasy Star Club?
Sep 15, 2008 10:58 PM

Aug 2008
Naruto, Bleach, anything that has to do with pokemon. Air is over rated at whatever rating it has, the series just forces the characters onto you and screams "Love me!" and people fell for it, ya he can move a doll...sweet. Tengen Toppa is starting to look way over rated, although I have yet to finish the series, but I am coming to that conclusion. Theres no way it should be number 1 thats just crazyness. Theres plenty more but this post by me is over rated...by me
Sep 15, 2008 11:21 PM

Mar 2008
i think its funny how most of the people who say monster is boring are shonen watchers. im sorry but monster is about character development and good dialogue, you wont see any fistfights or explosions. yes, its 80% talking, but i see no problem with that.

code geass r2 is the most overrated show of all time, im shocked its ranked so high sicne its such a big mess by now.

Sep 16, 2008 12:05 AM

Apr 2007
TTGL of course. It's a fun show, but not the greatest thing ever.
Sep 16, 2008 4:44 AM

Jul 2007
People and their opinions are overrated <3
Sep 17, 2008 7:31 PM

Aug 2008
madeener said:
People and their opinions are overrated <3

you should start a new thread. ;)

i think if i had to come up with a top three overrated, now that i've read a couple other people's opinions i'd have to say...

1.) FMA
2.) FLCL (i really didn't get what was so great about this one...)
3.) FMP
all starting with F... coincidence? i think not!
with TTGL, it's not the deepest most thought provoking anime, but the action is a lot of fun and i wouldn't mind watching the series again. it was funny and action packed, and sometimes it could be pretty serious. i liked it a lot. i thought it was a pretty great series overall.

i'm surprised no one mentioned dragonball-dragonball z-dragonball gt being overrated. i personally liked the whole dragonball series, but i've heard from a lot of people that they thought it was crap. figured it'd be considered overrated since it's so popular.
Sep 17, 2008 7:45 PM

Jun 2008
inyuasha is a horrible show. i gave it a 1 but everyone likes it.

also, basilisk was bad.
Sep 17, 2008 8:09 PM

Oct 2007
1. Naruto
2. Bleach
I'm gonna get shot for this:

3. Tsukihime (One episode got me bored)

Sep 17, 2008 8:11 PM

Mar 2008
Arubinu said:
1. Naruto
2. Bleach

i dont even think those are overrated anymore. pretty much all non shonen watchers hate them.
Sep 17, 2008 11:56 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
17 seconds ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
5 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
10 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

99 by watsym »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.