Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2012 9:54 AM
Apr 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great episode.
Totally not gay.
Apr 19, 2012 10:06 AM

Feb 2012
So it looks like there won't be a love triangle after all -- and to be honest, that's fine by me. I just wonder if the new girl plays anything...if you added a sax to the trumpet-piano-bass-drums jam session from this episode, you'd have a classic jazz quintet.
Apr 19, 2012 10:08 AM
Aug 2011
Onii said:
Totally not gay.

Oh great, here we go...

25 minutes feel like 5. Such a delight watching this.
Apr 19, 2012 10:34 AM

Feb 2012
That was so good. I am not exactly sure why he was so surprised to find out that the two of them are Christians though. o.o He seemed to not like it. I am actually thinking of giving this a 10 already.
Apr 19, 2012 10:35 AM

Apr 2009
nice episode!
Apr 19, 2012 10:47 AM

Apr 2010
That was so damn beautiful.
Apr 19, 2012 10:56 AM

Apr 2010
parfaited said:

Exactly!

Really good episode! 5/5
Apr 19, 2012 11:01 AM

Mar 2011
another great episode.
now im very interested about couples and how it'll go.

Apr 19, 2012 11:16 AM
Jan 2012
Live session. Best part.
Sentaro is hilarious.
And once again, the music is absolute rainbows.
jark-mosesApr 19, 2012 11:27 AM
Apr 19, 2012 11:41 AM

Sep 2008
Yup, this is definitely the fucking anime of the season.I can not remember how many times I smiled and laughed throughout the episode. The music is superb, characters are amusing and those voices are amazing.

The ending scene was pure bliss with Sheryl Nome entering the stage
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2012 11:48 AM
Oct 2010
Onii said:
Totally not gay.
LOL, I was doubting Sen's orientation until that lady struck him like lightning.
Hakuromatsu said:
So it looks like there won't be a love triangle after all -- and to be honest, that's fine by me. I just wonder if the new girl plays anything...if you added a sax to the trumpet-piano-bass-drums jam session from this episode, you'd have a classic jazz quintet.
Yeah, personally I think it's much better without the triangle.

The new girl doesn't look the type that would play sax (I'm biased though, so I could be wrong). But perhaps she could be a singer... ?

Anyway, I too am liking this anime quite a bit so far.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 19, 2012 11:51 AM
Jan 2009
Fuck, the soundtrack when both guys realize their love was just <3. Those chilling xylophone sounds.
In japanese budhism is more frequent than christianism, for those confused.
There was a time where people were obligated to step on jesus and holy mary photographes, to prove they were not christians. But those were long gone in the 60's.
Take this with a grain of salt, however, the source are just translator notes on many animes and mangas. xD
Apr 19, 2012 12:46 PM

Dec 2009
parfaited said:

Spot-on. I was surprised to find out that after what only seemed to be a moment I was already halfway through the episode. Incredible.

And I'm also glad there's not going to be a love triangle. That is way too played out.
Ara ara.
Apr 19, 2012 12:46 PM
Jan 2012
These gay remarks are hilarious - maybe it's just wishful thinking ;)

Waiting for a week, getting comfy in the favorite chair only to realise the episode ends seemingly before it even starts, oh the irony of shows too good.

Watanabe sure knows how to make likeable trios - these guys really remind me of Mugen, Jin and Fuu.
tilitappaajaApr 19, 2012 1:01 PM
Apr 19, 2012 12:48 PM

Jan 2008
Thank god, no triangle. Now I just have to hope Ri-chan doesn't have a crush on Jun.
Apr 19, 2012 12:52 PM
May 2011
basabeo said:
That was so good. I am not exactly sure why he was so surprised to find out that the two of them are Christians though. o.o He seemed to not like it. I am actually thinking of giving this a 10 already.

I think Christians make up .01 percent of the population of Japan, so finding a couple, and you KNOW them, especially in a town like where he's living now, IS a surprise.

My best friend's parents were living in Tokyo for about four years. He was talking to them via iChat video conference one Easter Sunday when I went over and started talking to them too. They had no idea it was Easter - there are just too few Christians for anyone to really make any kind of deal out of it.
Apr 19, 2012 12:53 PM

Feb 2010
This show puts me on good mood. The characters feel so real and the interaction between them is really pleasent to watch. Add some excellent music and beautiful visuals to the mix and you got a damn good anime.
Apr 19, 2012 12:53 PM
Sep 2009
That live session scene was so beautiful. The animation was just gorgeous and it really felt like you were down in the basement with them.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Apr 19, 2012 12:54 PM
May 2011
Panaru said:
Thank god, no triangle. Now I just have to hope Ri-chan doesn't have a crush on Jun.
Panaru said:

I agree!! I was afraid there was going to be a triangle myself, and I'm glad it looks like it's not going to be. Sentaro and Ri-chan look to be more like brother and sister after this episode.

Man, I thought "Moan" was awesome, "Summertime" just managed to exceed it. What an awesome show!
Apr 19, 2012 12:54 PM
Sep 2010
The tone of this is so perfect. Nostalgic and beautiful.

I just hope it doesn't become "CONVERT TO CHRISTIANITY!"

I trust it not to get preachy.
Apr 19, 2012 1:02 PM

Jul 2010
That was really awesome<3 Still my favorite show of the season so far! :D
I honestly thought a love triangle was going to start. Guess I was wrong. Everything's too perfect though; I'm waiting for the conflict to arise...

I'm so happy they used musical terms like syncopation and dissonance :) It shows that the show is true to its appreciation for music. Haha, and I know exactly how Richie (forgot his real name lol) felt when he was running from the recording to the piano. I do that ALL THE TIME :3

5/5 - I'm loving Sentaro. He's awesome :D
Apr 19, 2012 1:03 PM

Feb 2012
I don't even know where to begin to tell you how great this is. One thing for sure, the animationn during the jazz sessions are incredible, I love the attention to detail, we need more of this.

I want that soundtrack, are they going to release it? The OP and ED don't fit in for my taste, though.
Apr 19, 2012 1:04 PM
Sep 2011
I was surprised about the addition of religion into this series but it's refreshing as it isn't that common in most recent series.

The BGM starting when Kaoru was swimming circles around Ritsuko was mesmerizing.
Apr 19, 2012 1:34 PM

Apr 2010
I know they're completely different series, but the church scene reminded me of the influence of Christianity in Samurai Champloo.

Kaoru's cousin was watching him practice jazz, so I imagine there's going to be more drama with his family very soon.
SalingaApr 19, 2012 1:41 PM
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Apr 19, 2012 2:18 PM

Nov 2011
I loved the jam session. And I don't feel the possibly of a love triangle is necessarily gone. I wouldn't be too quick to write it off at least. Anyways, good episode.
Apr 19, 2012 2:20 PM

Sep 2011
Beautiful show. Nicely subtle and touching.

This has become the weekly Anime I look forward to.
No.
Apr 19, 2012 2:52 PM

Dec 2011
Was looking forward to more homolust. Oh well - it still has homoeroticism. Hell, the only female in the show even looks like a man.

SkelingtonMay 5, 2012 11:24 PM
Apr 19, 2012 3:32 PM

Jul 2011
Hmm unless... Love square?? Hope not. I'm good with these two pairs. XD

I'll start to dislike if it'll start to get preachy too.

Loving this anime. Can't decide if it's the 1st or 2nd best of the season. :O

(Heh, and I thought it was originally going to be lame.)
Apr 19, 2012 3:43 PM

Jan 2010
This show is so beautiful. There just is no other way to describe it. The characters, the atmosphere, the artwork, the music.. It's all so beautiful and relaxing and damn refreshing.

Best anime of the season. I don't care if it''s just the second episode, this is the best thing so far all year.
Apr 19, 2012 3:48 PM

Aug 2009
GAHHHHHHHH!. The pacing is so much better that the manga *o*

I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH <33333

But UGHHHHHHHH, my least favorite character is coming now -_____-
Apr 19, 2012 3:50 PM
Feb 2012
Oh, Ricchan and Sentaro are Christians. May be Catholics, because the scene is in Nagasaki Prefecture. The branch of Urakami Tenshudo or some sort?
Less than 1% of Japanese are Christians.

I like to see the people playing their musical instruments and the eye contacts.

Kaoru's swimming style is "noshi", the Japanese old and traditional one. But I have hardly watched the style. lol
antibiotictabApr 19, 2012 3:55 PM
日本人です。海外の反応系のブログもいくつか見させてもらってますw 翻訳頑張ってくださいね。
Apr 19, 2012 3:53 PM

Jun 2009
Skelington said:
I was looking forward to more homolust. Oh well - it still has homoeroticism. Hell, the only female in the show even looks like a man.

What's Asuka doing in Apollon? o.o

Also nice to see Ricchan having some normal hairstyles this week.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 19, 2012 4:08 PM

Jul 2011

Bullying 101 right there.
Apr 19, 2012 4:15 PM

Oct 2011
i'm not terribly concerned about the christian thing. i know yoko kanno said in a recent interview that she's not a christian (but that she has read the bible; plenty of non-christians [including myself] have read it), and i really doubt watanabe is. so i'm not concerned.

i wonder what the japanese viewers think of it, though. considering christianity is so uncommon there, i bet knowledge of it is also lacking.
Apr 19, 2012 4:28 PM

Jun 2011
Oh Thursday, why do you have to be so far away now?
Have to wait another week for the next episode, fun fun fun.
Apr 19, 2012 4:32 PM

Aug 2010
This is pure bliss. This show seriously has the potential for a 10, I pray that it keeps this up.
Apr 19, 2012 4:33 PM

Jul 2010
I can see myself giving this a 10 already. The character interaction is quite believable and fun to watch. Hope to see more of those live sessions. I love watching those fluid motions.
Apr 19, 2012 4:38 PM

Apr 2011
Awesome show.

Sentarou fell in love :3
Apr 19, 2012 4:40 PM

Dec 2008
im enjoying the music for this show. the soundtrack might be even better if they have mai yamane on a few tracks, she was great with kanno in bebop and darker than black's soundtracks.
Apr 19, 2012 5:10 PM

Aug 2011
I loved this episode! It really portrayed their growing friendship, and how close Ri-chan and Sentarou are. I don't know why but it's just so fun to watch this series. Almost heartwarming.
Apr 19, 2012 5:16 PM

Jun 2011
this anime is amazingly great
Apr 19, 2012 5:19 PM

Nov 2009
My second best anime of the season and maybe the whole year. We'll see.
Apr 19, 2012 5:22 PM

Jun 2011
That live session was amazing. When Kaoru was smiling. :D It made me smile so hard. Gah, this show is so mellow yet it is so delightfully entertaining. Love it. I wasn't interested in the Christianity part but I don't think that message will be too prominent. Kaoru's quirks are so amusing to watch. His constant movement and ability to be inside his head reminds me of myself in a sense. Love him, but I think it's hard not to love Sentaro more. All great characters here though. :)
Apr 19, 2012 5:24 PM
Dec 2007
MrsSpooky said:
basabeo said:

I think Christians make up .01 percent of the population of Japan, so finding a couple, and you KNOW them, especially in a town like where he's living now, IS a surprise.

My best friend's parents were living in Tokyo for about four years. He was talking to them via iChat video conference one Easter Sunday when I went over and started talking to them too. They had no idea it was Easter - there are just too few Christians for anyone to really make any kind of deal out of it.

Actually the series takes place in Nagasaki prefecture, and that's the place where Christianity was introduced from in Japan by Francis Xavier in the XVIth Century. For two centuries, Nagasaki was also the only city in Japan where foreigners were allowed to anchor and trade (Chinese and Ducth mainly in the beginning) and there still are a lot of Western mansions there, gardens and churches of course. The biggest and oldest churches in Japan still lie in Nagasaki and nowadays, it's about the only place in Japan where football is more popular than baseball ;) So, well, for a Tokyoite like Kaoru, seeing two Christians may seem like an unusual occurrence (especially in 1966 when Tokyo was far less cosmopolitan than now), but for Nagasaki, it's pretty normal.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 19, 2012 5:35 PM
Dec 2011
This show is amazing so far. I love the music and cast of characters. 5/5 for the ep :)
Apr 19, 2012 5:38 PM
Feb 2012
OnanismMonthly said:
i'm not terribly concerned about the christian thing. i know yoko kanno said in a recent interview that she's not a christian (but that she has read the bible; plenty of non-christians [including myself] have read it), and i really doubt watanabe is. so i'm not concerned.

i wonder what the japanese viewers think of it, though. considering christianity is so uncommon there, i bet knowledge of it is also lacking.

Many Japanese are not Christian wanabes. Someone just want to know the Christian cultures. A college student who majors in English literature should read the Holy Bible, because many literary works has something to do with it; like Salomé of Oscar Wilde.
The knowledge of Christianity is dispensable for many people. But if you had it, more interesting some works would become. In Bruce Almighty, Jim Carry ran and Jumped on the surface of the pool because he got the power of God. lol You know what it means.
I am not a Christian. But knowing the other culture is fun. Somebody in this forum are fun to watch Anime and also want to know the Japanese way of life. Any difference?

Oh, I hate the guys who knock on my house's door in the name of the Bible. Jeh*vah's Witn*sses and Morm*ns.
Apr 19, 2012 6:02 PM

Apr 2011
Personally, I think it would be nice to see a religious message in this. So long as it isn't "preachy". Just having a character learn about and perhaps convert to the religion would be enough. But if they go for shoving it down the viewers throats... Nah, that won't happen.
Apr 19, 2012 6:08 PM

Nov 2011
Nice episode. loved the jazz sesh. Anyway Kaoru was surprised that they were Christians because not many people in Japan are Christians, less than 1% as someone previously stated.

I'm so fucking glad that Sen and Kaoru are not gonna be fighting over Ritsu. No love triangle yay! but I am a little worried about Junichi...

Anyway, it's kinda funny how Sen's always there to "save" the day. I'm very interested in his background story and hope they show us more about him. Like why Sen told Ritsu to not mention the priest saying he's "special."
Apr 19, 2012 6:09 PM
Oct 2010
lpfManiak said:
basabeo said:
Refrain from posting.
WTFBBQ!
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 19, 2012 6:10 PM
Feb 2012
Jacut said:
it's about the only place in Japan where football is more popular than baseball ;)

I was surprised to read your comment. You know Japan so much. But this part is not correct.
The place where football is the most popular is Shizuoka Prefecture. I recommend you to re-watch Captain Tsubasa.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

HawthorneKitty - Jun 28, 2012

462 by Nebbby312 »»
Apr 12, 10:17 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2012

136 by lazypanda666 »»
Jan 27, 11:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.