Forum Settings
Forums

What do you like/dislike about the Anime community?

New
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2012 4:49 AM

Jan 2012
AlanViBritannia said:
I like anime.

I dislike other anime fans.

Simple.

You are a horrible liar.

You totally seem like you dislike other fans with your 7,000+ posts and almost 700 friends.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2012 4:52 AM

Oct 2010
The whole Otaku thing and all the stereotypes coming around it. It almost looks like you can'tjust be a normal person with good personal hygiene, who loves animated shows.
nikolas_dmxApr 22, 2012 5:07 AM
Apr 22, 2012 7:16 AM

Sep 2011
nikolas_dmx said:
The whole Otaku thing and all the stereotypes coming around it. It almost looks like you can'tjust be a normal person with good personal hygiene, who loves animated shows.

Yeah I agree with this. We had this discussion 3 pages back and it got nowhere :/
No.
Apr 22, 2012 8:12 AM

Feb 2010
Scruff said:
Yeah I agree with this. We had this discussion 3 pages back and it got nowhere :/

I was trying to explain that it has nothing to do with Otakus how the "normal" people perceive you if you watch anime, play video games, or for instance "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic".

The problem is in them, they prejudge and most likely are not willing to understand.

You have this experience with your colleague, did he change his attitude because of some Otakus?
one-more-timeApr 22, 2012 8:17 AM
LUL
Apr 22, 2012 12:22 PM

Aug 2011
I like the fact that I get to socialize with people with the same common interest as me. I hardly know anyone that's as much of an otaku as I am.

I dislike anime elitists. "Oh my god, I can't believe you gave blank a high score! You're such a fanboy/girl." Seriously, everybody has their own opinion and everybody should be allowed to express it. Oh, and people who are overly cynical and criticize every little bit of everything. Being cynical doesn't make you smarter.
Apr 22, 2012 12:26 PM

Apr 2012
itsvero said:
I like the fact that I get to socialize with people with the same common interest as me. I hardly know anyone that's as much of an otaku as I am.

I dislike anime elitists. "Oh my god, I can't believe you gave blank a high score! You're such a fanboy/girl." Seriously, everybody has their own opinion and everybody should be allowed to express it. Oh, and people who are overly cynical and criticize every little bit of everything. Being cynical doesn't make you smarter.

D: We all need cures for rating things highly, I can't stop rating stuff 10.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Apr 22, 2012 12:37 PM

Apr 2012

Dislikes: The ones who don't shower.
Apr 22, 2012 1:00 PM

Apr 2012
mascarpone said:

What's up with all people thinking anime fans don't shower? -_-

Autocrat said:
Apr 22, 2012 1:05 PM

Apr 2012
Immahnoob said:
mascarpone said:

Not all of them. Just the small number who don't.
Apr 22, 2012 1:08 PM

Apr 2012
mascarpone said:
Immahnoob said:
mascarpone said:

Not all of them. Just the small number who don't.

Then you can simply say "I hate people that don't shower".

Autocrat said:
Apr 22, 2012 1:16 PM

May 2011
Immahnoob said:
mascarpone said:

I’m assuming you have never been to an anime convention? I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some people to keep up good hygiene especially if they are at an anime con. Sometimes I even have to cover up my noise because the smell of BO is so bad. However, most anime fans do shower and have good hygiene. It's just that the ones who don't shower stand out more and I am assuming some of the posters in this thread have generalized anime fans with not showering because of this.
Apr 22, 2012 1:22 PM

Apr 2009
I don't know anime fans in my city, and I have never been to an anime convention. On the internet I only visit MAL and thanks God that many MAL users are pretty decent people. I have no complaint.
Apr 22, 2012 1:38 PM

Apr 2012
Sora_N said:
Immahnoob said:
mascarpone said:

I’m assuming you have never been to an anime convention? I don’t understand why it’s so hard for some people to keep up good hygiene especially if they are at an anime con. Sometimes I even have to cover up my noise because the smell of BO is so bad. However, most anime fans do shower and have good hygiene. It's just that the ones who don't shower stand out more and I am assuming some of the posters in this thread have generalized anime fans with not showering because of this.

I don't know if they will ever do a anime convention in Italy or if there ever was one, or at least in my city, so I don't know about those.

So I don't know what to say about that.

Autocrat said:
Apr 22, 2012 2:06 PM

Mar 2012
Sora_N said:
Immahnoob said:
mascarpone said:

This is a good explanation. There should be some statistical term for this, but the closest I can come up with is confirmation bias, but that isn't quite the "noticeability bias" that is happening in this situation. Maybe it could be considered memory bias.
Apr 22, 2012 3:02 PM

Mar 2012
I think it probably stems from the fact it's easier to notice people who smell bad than good.

Anyway:

Dislikes: Those really socially awkward ones. I was at a convention where we had this socially awkward kid who would copy dance/attack moves from the screen in the middle of the room. Later on in the day he was staring at another socially awkward kid who wouldn't stop talking with the "What the hell is weirdo up to face."
Apr 22, 2012 3:04 PM

Dec 2008
When they post anime related threads on general discussion.
Apr 22, 2012 3:35 PM

May 2010
Immahnoob said:
Slurpentine said:
Hate fans who are crazy about flat chests

You hate me deeply it seems. I knew it from the beginning... But... But I loved you! I always had a place for you in my heart...!

Ahem...

Well to be honest, I don't mind the size. That's of no importance. Isn't that a matter of taste? Actually that's a bit of a sexual thing, so you can't actually choose what you find attractive, or else you're lying to yourself. Think about it. It's like asking the person in question to change from Heterosexual to Homosexual or Bisexual. It's impossible.

Perhaps "hate" is a bit extreme but I'll never understand it, personally

That's cool though because like you say sexual attraction is involuntary and subjective

STILL
Apr 22, 2012 5:04 PM

Mar 2012
Slurpentine said:
Perhaps "hate" is a bit extreme but I'll never understand it, personally

That's cool though because like you say sexual attraction is involuntary and subjective

STILL

I prefer smaller to larger, but I don't go for completely flat since that's a bit weird.
The way I see it is that breasts are pretty much just lumps of fat to begin with, so moderation is good.
Apr 22, 2012 5:19 PM

Nov 2008
Kenatsu said:
Dislike:
1. Inmature fans. If you have 23 you can't act like a teen of 14 in a Justin Bieber concert, seriously. Also compared with normal people, anime fans tend to be more depressive and have more low self-esteem

Wtf am I reading
Apr 22, 2012 5:51 PM

Mar 2012
Arkondeath said:
Kenatsu said:
Dislike:
1. Inmature fans. If you have 23 you can't act like a teen of 14 in a Justin Bieber concert, seriously. Also compared with normal people, anime fans tend to be more depressive and have more low self-esteem

Wtf am I reading

If I'm not mistaken, romance languages use the construction "I have 23 years of age" rather than "I am 23 years old." Although the rest of the post is also somewhat lacking in logic.
Apr 22, 2012 6:06 PM

Nov 2011
Arkondeath said:

Wtf am I reading

Hahahahaha xD I forget that in english you use verb to be when you talk about age
If I'm not mistaken, romance languages use the construction "I have 23 years of age" rather than "I am 23 years old.

Yes (but it's just "I have 23 years")
Although the rest of the post is also somewhat lacking in logic.

Where? Man I thought my english was understandable
gemanepaApr 22, 2012 6:11 PM
Apr 22, 2012 6:27 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah, I added the "of age" part so that it would be easier to understand for other people reading.

I didn't see how being depressed and having low self-esteem had anything to do with being immature.
Apr 22, 2012 10:20 PM

Jul 2010
What I like about the anime community, nearly all my friends are into the same thing as I am and they are really nice people and awesome to hang out with.

What I dislike, this is mostly in the cosplay area, people are being so judgmental. They're always saying American people shouldn't cosplay at all, only Japanese people should cosplay.
The whole point in cosplaying is having fun.

Plus, too many Vic Mignogna fans in my area. The lines for his panel and autograph session was freakin' crazy! I love that guy myself but enough is enough! All the other voice actors needs some love too!
Apr 23, 2012 10:19 AM

Sep 2011
Cowabunga said:

Lul wut? Because the point of this thread is to discuss Anime and related material. Totally.

We're talking bout the fans of Anime/Manga/J-Culture; nothing to do with specific Anime.
No.
Apr 23, 2012 11:06 AM

Apr 2012
Cowabunga said:

Trolololololol...

Autocrat said:
Apr 23, 2012 11:06 AM

Mar 2012
Scruff said:
Cowabunga said:

Lul wut? Because the point of this thread is to discuss Anime and related material. Totally.

We're talking bout the fans of Anime/Manga/J-Culture; nothing to do with specific Anime.

I don't think he was referring to this thread specifically.
But then again, this is the internet, so I wouldn't bet on it.
Apr 23, 2012 2:06 PM

Mar 2012
oh hey look! this show is dubbed into multiple languages! let me do a quick check to see which language i speak *........english......* ... "i hardly think that is disrespect t'wards anime. besides, the dubs are translated by professionals, fan subs are not."
-had to get that outa my system :P now onto the important part.

comparing mal to other social networking sites, i think among this community in particular it is very easy to *insert verb for social networking...* ... i find this website, make an account, start adding stuff to my list, write a few review, post a couple things on the forum and all of a sudden i've collected a few friends, started numerous good discussions, exchanging great anime i would've found otherwise and so on...

but as for the entire anime community as a whole i can't really say much other than "they all like ... anime" because that's really the only trait you could pin on all of them at the same time and still be correct
Apr 23, 2012 5:08 PM

Jan 2012
Another thing I dislike for some reason are people who have several hundred/ a thousand "friends" on this site, A.K.A. friend whores. Is there really any point in having that many contacts, especially if you don't talk to them? Reminds me of Facebook.

The same goes for clubs. I've seen people that are in over 1,000 different clubs. I mean, how do you even...?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2012 6:51 PM

Mar 2012
Dizzy_Trinity said:
Another thing I dislike for some reason are people who have several hundred/ a thousand "friends" on this site, A.K.A. friend whores. Is there really any point in having that many contacts, especially if you don't talk to them? Reminds me of Facebook.

The same goes for clubs. I've seen people that are in over 1,000 different clubs. I mean, how do you even...?

Yeah I agree with this. At least for facebook there are good reasons for having a lot of friends - you might actually have that many acquantainces in real life, and it's nice to be able to communicate with them without fear of changed phone numbers, mailing addresses, email addresses, and so on.

On here though, that's just kind of silly.
Apr 23, 2012 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
Likes: The anime community in general; It really gives me a chance to escape from my high school life since a lot of kids there don't really know much about anime and they are very ignorant, judgmental and just plain rude towards someone different like me.

Dislikes: Having a pointless conversation with someone who thinks dubs > subs. I mean honestly this is opinion based and it really matters which version you watch first. Furthermore its disrespectful to original anime if you purposely watch/wait for the English dub to release. A language barrier shouldn't stop you from watching a great anime if your a true, loyal Otaku.
Apr 23, 2012 9:26 PM

Apr 2012
ChocoKewkies said:
Dislikes: Having a pointless conversation with someone who thinks dubs > subs. I mean honestly this is opinion based and it really matters which version you watch first. Furthermore its disrespectful to original anime if you purposely watch/wait for the English dub to release. A language barrier shouldn't stop you from watching a great anime if your a true, loyal Otaku.

So, according to this logic, I'm being disrespectful to anime because, to quote Vic Mignogna, "I'd rather not read a TV Show"?
Apr 23, 2012 9:30 PM

Apr 2012
If there's one thing I dislike about the anime community, it's the whole "English Dubs are the devil" thing.

I like to watch Anime. With subtitles, I have to read. If I wanted to read, I'd grab a freaking book off my shelf.

I've said this many times before, and I will keep saying it until people stop complaining about being able to understand what the characters are saying.
Apr 23, 2012 9:45 PM
Feb 2012
^Sorry, but you are being stupid.
There are perfectly valid reasons to prefer dub over sub, but that is one of the weakest arguments I know.

One of the stupidest people I know once wrote this on fb: "If I want to be smarter, I would watch a book".

I challenge you to watch first half of any series using subs, and then the rest in dub. If you don't like it, then you watching on the complexity level of pokemon (you specifically, no other people that have valid reasons to use subs).
Apr 23, 2012 10:17 PM

Apr 2012
ne44to said:
^Sorry, but you are being stupid.
There are perfectly valid reasons to prefer dub over sub, but that is one of the weakest arguments I know.

One of the stupidest people I know once wrote this on fb: "If I want to be smarter, I would watch a book".

I challenge you to watch first half of any series using subs, and then the rest in dub. If you don't like it, then you watching on the complexity level of pokemon (you specifically, no other people that have valid reasons to use subs).

*you're

Now that that's out of the way, challenge already done. I've already watched both seasons of Rosario + Vampire with subtitles before, and I'm currently re-watching it dubbed (I'm up to the 11th episode right now).
Apr 23, 2012 10:29 PM
Feb 2012
^
perfect example of an anime with a complexity level of pokemon.

When I am typing on a casual forum I pay minimum attention to grammar and orthography thank you very much. Besides that particular error was caused by inattentive editing (restructured sentences).

Try watching cowboy bebop (it is a little similar to, and of equal equality to Trigun which you rated highly), and it supposedly has a very good dub so it will be a fair comparison.
Apr 23, 2012 11:16 PM

Jun 2011
BatCountry9000 said:
If there's one thing I dislike about the anime community, it's the whole "English Dubs are the devil" thing.

I like to watch Anime. With subtitles, I have to read. If I wanted to read, I'd grab a freaking book off my shelf.

I've said this many times before, and I will keep saying it until people stop complaining about being able to understand what the characters are saying.

Uhh, I like both subs and dubs and I still think that's a stupid argument. You're still watching anime even if it has subtitles.

It's not really that I dislike the people who hate dubs, it's the people who have such extreme opinions either way. "You're disrespectful to anime if you watch dubs" and "I'd rather not read a TV show" are equally ridiculous viewpoints.
Apr 24, 2012 4:54 AM

Apr 2012
You can watch whatever you want, sub or dub, just don't come here and be like "OMG DUBS > SUBS, ME NOT READ SHOW" or "OMG SUBS > DUBS, Y U NO RESPECT ANIME?".

If I want subtitles I'll watch with subtitles as I like the original voice, I rarely watch dubs because most of them are quite badly made.

Autocrat said:
Apr 24, 2012 7:58 AM

Dec 2011
I dislike people who spoil an anime. :(
Apr 24, 2012 8:33 AM

Aug 2007
Whatever happened to liking both English Dubbed Anime, and watching something in Japanese with subtitles?

Also, I don't see how that's a valid complaint, I can watch an anime with subtitles and follow something just fine. It's not that hard unless you're dyslexic.. It is a little difficult and cumbersome with some anime, though, and I have a hard time when I'm watching something subbed later in the night when I'm probably tired from work. I grew up watching anime dubbed, so I don't have a problem with those.

But why is this issue separated into such a Black and White thing? I think it's pretty childish that the anime community still has this sort of problem, and their attitudes are even worse. I'll add this example to things I dislike about the anime community.

Apr 24, 2012 8:52 AM

Apr 2011
MenmaKawaii said:

Oh dear god. That is the worse thing ever. It's evil. More than evil. Not even the devil would want the dick who spoils anime for people. Yes, I think they are the worst sort of people in the community.
Apr 24, 2012 8:55 AM

Apr 2012
GloriousHawk said:
MenmaKawaii said:

Oh dear god. That is the worse thing ever. It's evil. More than evil. Not even the devil would want the dick who spoils anime for people. Yes, I think they are the worst sort of people in the community.

Autocrat said:
Apr 24, 2012 10:01 AM

Sep 2011
Had a lot of good anime spoiled for me by idiots (mostly my friends). Still ended up watching them though.

Anyway, my take on the whole Subs/Dubs thing (which I must have typed at least a thousand times before); Spoilered for essay-length size and the fact it's off topic.
ScruffApr 24, 2012 10:37 AM
No.
Apr 24, 2012 10:18 AM

Apr 2012
Scruff said:
Had a lot of good anime spoiled for me by idiots (mostly my friends). Still ended up watching them though.

Anyway, my take on the whole Subs/Dubs thing (which I must have typed at least a thousand times before); Spoilered for essay-length size and the fact it's off topic.

Hey, Kuroshitsuji isn't solely a girl's anime. o.o

Autocrat said:
Apr 24, 2012 10:19 AM

Jun 2011
^ @ Scruff

Thanks for clarifying. You're one of the things I dislike about the anime community.

Do you even buy anime? Probably not if you're "protesting" dual-audio releases (which is most of them)... but did you ever consider that pirating the anime that these "hard working actors" are in may be a tad more disrespectful?
Apr 24, 2012 10:37 AM

Sep 2011
Narmy said:
^ @ Scruff

Thanks for clarifying. You're one of the things I dislike about the anime community.

Do you even buy anime? Probably not if you're "protesting" dual-audio releases (which is most of them)... but did you ever consider that pirating the anime that these "hard working actors" are in may be a tad more disrespectful?

I own all of the Anime that I have rated 9 or 10. Some of the 8s as well. Simply because my parents used to dote on me and buy me anything I want. Now I've got a job, it's got much harder for me to buy my Anime, but I still do.

And yes, it's a catch 22; If I want to support the Anime I like it means I'm going against my own values, but I see that as a necessary evil, as much as I hate it. If I could, I would ship the Japanese Releases oversees, but region codes/ ridiculous Otaku prices do not allow for that.
No.
Apr 25, 2012 3:12 AM
Apr 2012
Scruff said:
subs are shit

agreed thank you for your input

also you are sperging out over the most pointless shit, uh oh someone on the internet doesnt agree with my expert opinion on japanese cartoon shows i better write a 19 paragraph response detailing the finer points of Traditional Japanese Honor Systems and how Funimation Is Destroying The Very Fabric of Japanese Culture by not licensing my sweet ass baka to test fansub
Apr 25, 2012 3:56 AM

Aug 2007
BatCountry9000 said:

I loled. Its not hard at all to watch and read something at all. Some people even said they like dubs because they could do something else while "watching" them.

Narmy said:
^ @ Scruff

*yawn* Same old shit. I bet you pirated a lot if not all that you have watched/read so you have no room to talk.
Apr 25, 2012 4:02 AM

Apr 2012
Drunk_Samurai said:
BatCountry9000 said:

I loled. Its not hard at all to watch and read something at all. Some people even said they like dubs because they could do something else while "watching" them.

Narmy said:
^ @ Scruff

*yawn* Same old shit. I bet you pirated a lot if not all that you have watched/read so you have no room to talk.

Damn, I think I'm the only non-hater that pirated everything. Here in Italy you can only buy Manga T.T.

Autocrat said:
Apr 25, 2012 6:22 AM

Jun 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:

If you actually try to comprehend my post, it's not the piracy I'm against, it's the hypocrisy.
Apr 25, 2012 6:51 AM

Apr 2012
Narmy said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

If you actually try to comprehend my post, it's not the piracy I'm against, it's the hypocrisy.

You're a hypocrite too o.o.

Autocrat said:
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 hours ago

15 by AxiaG »»
22 seconds ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

36 by AxiaG »»
2 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

32 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
16 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

17 by DesuMaiden »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.