Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 6, 2016 6:10 PM
Dec 2014
DawningFog said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the ho yay vibes from this series.

It probably has to do with all the blushing and adoration, and that giggle thing Franz did, as well as the count's intimidating way of hovering over people, and the transsexual girl.

When I think about it, these are all considered feminine qualities. It's interesting how culturally, when coming from a more masculine culture, it's easy to stereotype feminine qualities in males as being gay, when gender and sexuality are not one and the same.

As an example, it may just be that they are trying to translate a combination of French/Japanese culture, but to American eyes, it is different.

European aristocracy really was kinda gay. They spent hours buying clothes and makeup, they used to change clothes every few hours. Basically being rich and not having to actually DO anything in your life you have to find hobbies.
Jan 8, 2016 9:01 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode again, glad they made up in the end. Thought it would go the other way.
Jan 31, 2016 11:29 AM

Mar 2012
God, I hate Albert already.
The way he treated Franz right after he SAVED him, and even worse the shit with Peppo.
The hell, the woman (in his view) helps him be kidnapped knowing the possibility that if they don't pay he will be tortured to death and he is all over her shoes? The fuck?
And it's even funnier that the fact that s(he) has a penis is the thing that is going to stop him not, you know, being part of a gang of kidnappers and killers.
Fuck him.
Give me more Franz and Count.

Also, I liked how the character that he saved from death against Franz's wishes is the one who confront Franz.
Apr 29, 2016 6:28 PM

Feb 2016
What if the Count lied about Peppo being a boy ? I think its possible cause he obviously wanted Albert and Franz to return back to Paris and if he hadn't lied about Peppo Albert would have stayed longer since he had a crush on Peppo ?
Jun 11, 2016 11:20 AM

Feb 2016
So there was that mysterious photo where the counted stated that the fruits of betrayal must be plucked from the tree - huge foreshadowing right there, can't wait to see what's gonna happen next.
Dec 15, 2016 12:42 PM

Jun 2013
The count is definitely not human, he claims to be unkillable, he refers to himself as "Gankutsuou", and the crime boss recognizes him as "the king of the cavern". (Google Translate tells me these two names mean the same thing, so I'm probably stating the obvious here.) He even appears downright demonic while he is threatening the crime boss. The count also appears to value agreements: his

Franz and Albert are childhood friends. I still didn't expect them to make up so soon after Albert was so ungrateful.

Interactions between the characters are full of physical contact; maybe this is one reason why so many viewers feel a "Ho Yay" vibe. One could even interpret the scenes between the crime boss guy and the count, and Albert and the lady lieutenant as sexual in nature.

While I think the count is certainly up to shady things, my guess is he's easily bored; being immortal as he is. Maybe that's why he likes Albert: both of them seek some sort of an adventure, a feeling of excitement.

Some of the dialogue sounds and looks like a stage play, this is probably intentional.

The depicted environment of the Moon seems odd. It's either night with a black, starry sky, or daytime with blinding sunshine. There are no clouds, either. All these clues imply that the Moon still has no atmosphere, yet everyone can breathe just fine outside. Maybe the cities have some sort of an invisible barrier that can trap the air.

I think there was just one thing I didn't like in this episode, the fact that Peppo was revealed to be "a boy". Not because I have a problem with cross-dressing, but because it seems like clumsy pandering in a series that I didn't expect to contain the usual otaku trappings. I don't see what purpose it serves in the narrative, though that might be my mistake. For now, this is just a minor issue either way.

Kiarika said:
The way he treated Franz right after he SAVED him, and even worse the shit with Peppo.
The hell, the woman (in his view) helps him be kidnapped knowing the possibility that if they don't pay he will be tortured to death and he is all over her shoes? The fuck?
And it's even funnier that the fact that s(he) has a penis is the thing that is going to stop him not, you know, being part of a gang of kidnappers and killers.

I see where you're coming from. Albert seems like an absolute mess of a character so far. I didn't mention it earlier but his inconsistency bothers me, too.
LeeTailorDec 15, 2016 1:53 PM
Feb 19, 2017 8:37 PM

Mar 2015
The Count is awesome. Badass!

Plus Peppo's a dude lel
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 22, 2017 8:22 AM

Jul 2008
Strong shounen-ai vibes in this one like others have said. Every guy seems like they could be shipped together. I wasn't expecting that from this anime. Maybe it's best just to read the book.

Funny coincidence that I watched this on May 22nd, which is a date used in this episode.
Jul 21, 2017 7:25 AM
Jan 2017
Wow this is actually turning out to be a very good series like people said.I was expecting to be dissapointed but I have been proved wrong as of now.
Aug 4, 2017 3:32 AM

Feb 2013
They saved him just in time.
Lol, that was a boy.
Nov 1, 2017 9:14 PM
Aug 2017
Kiarika said:
Fuck him.
Give me more Franz and Count.

Also, I liked how the character that he saved from death against Franz's wishes is the one who confront Franz.

I agree completely. I don't like Albert at all so far. Franz is my man. He's smart, loyal and brave. He's a true friend.
Now, I've never read the book but I've seen the movie with Jim Caviezel & Richard Harris and Albert was nothing like this. I just want to smack this kid silly and was so happy when Franz finally slapped him (was hoping for a punch). He claims to be looking for love but he is so full of it. He just wants a booty call. He's so pathetic & desperate that he couldn't even bother to get to know Peppo before forcing her to the hard cold ground in an alley trying to remove her clothes. Was so glad when she pulled the gun out. That ass should have been shot. Didn't even know her name and more till the end. He's also in an arrangement and couldn't give two shits about how she must be feeling in all this. Seeing how Albert behaves, SHE is the one that should be looking for "love".
I'm also assuming Peppo is a trans girl. Since she doesn't behave like a guy pretending to be a girl in order to lure Albert into an ally to be kidnapped.

I only care about Franz. He wasn't in the movie so he's new to me and I'm worried he's going to be killed because of Albert or the Counts revenge. It's weird to see the Count as a vampire/alien/cursed person when he originally was just a person seeking revenge. So not sure how this will end.
Dec 28, 2017 6:06 PM

Nov 2016
Whew I'm definitely hooked now,really good episode.

Nice trap,doe.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 3, 2018 11:19 AM

Jul 2017
Loved this episode
Aug 27, 2018 1:32 PM

Dec 2012
Come now, Albert. You fell for the most beautiful trap that could be devised. No one will blame you for sticking to your guns ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Sep 4, 2018 7:30 PM

Apr 2014
peppo is pretty cute tho, boy or girl, pretty cute.

not sure what i like more, op or ed
Feb 3, 2019 3:37 PM

May 2016
It looks like Albert likes to think with his lower half judging from how he really wanted to meet with Peppo immediately after he got out of the mess "she" dragged him into in the first place. Franz had to deal with that pesky prisoner egging him on as he desperately looked for someone to loan 50 million from and got in debt with a vampire only for Albert to run off again's tough. It's bros before hoes and the Count reminded him of that by awakening him to the dark truth.

Now that the Carnival's officially over, the colorful city of Luna showed its true colors again and it's as drab as the moon itself. No wonder no one wanted to stay there past the festivities. Parisian infiltration complete...

May 7, 2019 7:02 PM

Feb 2014
Why even join a gang of criminals if you are gonna feel bad for some dude that they are after?
May 20, 2020 10:36 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I have so many questions and so I have to say I’m hooked at this point. I really like every character in the show so far they seem real. The count is scary in the fact that I know nothing of what his true intentions are or what he is.
Sep 22, 2021 2:43 AM

Aug 2020
Such a unique OP. I love it when OP's are in English.

As for the episode goes, It's been very intriguing but still has piqued 100% of my interest yet.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Mar 27, 2022 1:25 PM

May 2021
I know they probably mentioned it in the 1st episode but they were actually on the fucking moon which somehow looks like a skull?! I have a feeling I will definitely enjoy this series.

Also, Albert, its a trap.

Apr 4, 2022 2:39 AM

Sep 2017
Man this series looks amazing af.

First episode was fun with the game of life and death and the intro to the Count. Also is it just me or is Albert's friend into him? I may be reading too much but the slap is something else.

Also lol Albert fell in love with a trap..

Background music is promising. Cant wait for em to get back to earth.

Also dunno wtf happened to that head bandit but guessing from the fact that he met the count and knew his secret identity, I don't think he will be alive.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Apr 23, 2022 10:06 AM
Nov 2020
Did yall notice when Count is threatening Luigi, he changes languages, he's overlayed speaking French
Jun 3, 2022 8:45 AM

Nov 2018
Ofc japanese would add a catboy-looking trap into their version of Monte Cristo IMAO
I hate everyone equally
Jun 3, 2022 8:47 AM

Nov 2018
So much people seriously never read Monte Cristo???Isn't it the most basic classic ever???
I hate everyone equally
Sep 2, 2022 12:38 AM

Jun 2020
Good episode. I found the whole kidnapping thing quite cliche in a way but it was executed fine. The scene with The Count confronting Luigi was very well made. The whole bad guy thing has been executed very typically, the bandits thing, the serial killer licking his knife. I expected this show to have less tropes and cliches but well, let's see.

Feb 23, 2023 11:51 AM

Dec 2018
show is interesting but dear god that is the worst OP i've ever sat through
Jun 7, 2023 11:40 PM

Jan 2021
"What was that for?"

Oh maaan, damn it. I felt like this all over again. On one hand I was in awe of the Count but on the other hand seeing Albert's behavior just made me lose my mind. The first thing he did was not thank Franz after being helped by him but instead went straight to Peppo.

Anyway, that smile... the Count's smile when Franz asked him for help... somehow I feel like it was all planned by him. Like, he led Albert to play cards as if he knew which card Albert would choose, and that card would also lead him to look "good" in front of Albert by helping him from the trap (death). The man in the photo album also looks a bit like Albert... his father?

The mystery is both fun and suspenseful. I hope to see that "Gankutsuou" more often in the next episodes!

Aug 21, 2023 10:51 AM
Aug 2022
Soo the carriage is for touristic purposes I presume.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

172 by KrispyKlub »»
Apr 5, 5:45 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.