Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 14, 2012 8:20 AM

Aug 2009
This show or series has been one of the most mentally stable series I have ever watched. The fact that it doesn't screw with your emotions too badly yet does give you that sense of forlorn is perfect.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Anyways, the character design was really fitting in my tastes because it reminds me of the artwork from Eureka Seven. And also the voice acting was great, I loved everyones voices.

Also, I don't see why people are getting so hyped up about anaru vs menma. Menma is dead, and its quite obvious at the end Jinta came to accept her feelings as he never even rejected it at the beginning.

Furthermore, the character development was outstanding in my opion throughout the 13 episodes. The growth in tension with themselves around each other lead to a big character change towards the ends.

It may e fictional but you can really relate to it a lot, who doesn't feel awkward after not talking to someone in a long time.

Generally, I believe this has got to be the most fulfilling series I have ever watched. I didn't mind it ending and the ending epilogue gave me enough to understand what happens next.

Face the facts, it was obvious menma would disappear.
Apr 14, 2012 8:32 AM

May 2011
Because We Still Don't Know How To Spell The Full Name Of That Show.

I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Apr 14, 2012 11:14 AM

Sep 2009
I don't see how anyone could hate it. Dislike it due to a own personal taste, but hate?

Ano Hi completely finish what it set out to accomplished in it's own manner, which I think a lot of series fail at these days, and executed a cliche story wonderfully.

Karhu said:
The ending could be seen as over-dramatic and lol-worthy. How all of them end up seeing Menma might feel plain ridiculous from some view of point.

Over dramatic yes, I can see how it could be understood as that. I don't see how anyone could think it's "lol-worthy" unless they've either missed the point of the story completely or their just being an giant ass. Either way there's DENIAL written all over those people's faces.
Apr 15, 2012 5:40 AM

Oct 2009
LordLagann said:
I don't see how anyone could hate it. Dislike it due to a own personal taste, but hate?

Ano Hi completely finish what it set out to accomplished in it's own manner, which I think a lot of series fail at these days, and executed a cliche story wonderfully.

Karhu said:
The ending could be seen as over-dramatic and lol-worthy. How all of them end up seeing Menma might feel plain ridiculous from some view of point.

Over dramatic yes, I can see how it could be understood as that. I don't see how anyone could think it's "lol-worthy" unless they've either missed the point of the story completely or their just being an giant ass. Either way there's DENIAL written all over those people's faces.

Or maybe you have trouble understating people who think different than you.
I'm one of those who think the end was "lol-worthy".

Denial of what if I may ask?
Apr 15, 2012 5:42 AM

Jun 2009
the only thing that I hate from this anime is.... NO ONE BEAT YUKIATSU'S ASS!
Apr 15, 2012 12:34 PM

Sep 2011
Everything was perfect except for unrelatable character's. Most realistic of them all was probably Jintan or the blue-haired chick.
No.
Apr 15, 2012 12:40 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Ano Hana was an awesome anime. Just about anything really good gets an equal amount of fruitless hate.

It may be cliche, but "Haters gonna Hate"
Apr 15, 2012 3:23 PM

Sep 2009
AnoniMus said:

Or maybe you have trouble understating people who think different than you.
I'm one of those who think the end was "lol-worthy".

Denial of what if I may ask?

Oh I understand perfectly people have different ideals and attitudes towards different and same things alike. What I can't comprehend is how people can just say something they think is definite when their only judging it though their ideals and attitudes, not by a realistic scale; the bigger picture.

I used the word "Denial" because I feel it best expresses what I assume is the only reasons they have trouble with the series. It's because it deals with an premise that's so filled melancholy and heartbreak that the only way that certain "nonbelievers", sort of speaking, can come to cope is to make a mockery out of it and knock it down a few pegs.
Apr 16, 2012 2:15 AM

Nov 2011
Hate is a strong word, one that should only be reserved for garbage-like series, and frankly, Anohana wasn't really that bad, but it wasn't that great either.

The main character was a whiny, self destructive little brat that I don't think anyone could relate to.
Menma was alright, she played the part of a pure innocent little girl perfectly.
The rest of the cast was really nothing special and forgettable. The cross dresser did annoy me at times, though.

As for the ending, I found it far too forced and melodramatic (as many have already pointed out). Genuine tears from the audience are something to be earned, not something to milked. I was shaking my head when fatty broke down and when Jintan was yelling at Menma to come out; the ending just leaves an awful taste in your mouth and leaves you thinking "was I supposed to care for these people?"
Apr 17, 2012 2:16 PM

Apr 2009
Lontaku said:
Why are people hating?

Are you absolutely positive that you aren't fighting against the nonexistent? The mean score places the series at the 27th rank on MAL - what is in fact a bit too good of a position for the show.

You basically wrote down a précis or a digest of something longer - a review, I guess. You do not argue about people being impartial and too harsh - but you simply present your opinion - what doesn't make any sense given the title of this thread.

While AnoHana had some good points to it - character development, credibility of the setting, and outstanding music... it had more than enough drawbacks for which people are more than justified to be annoyed with the show. Be it the MC, or unreasonable plot flags, or overexposed emotions of the main cast. But first of all it's the forced loldrama that made some people flinch and find it hard to stomach. It wasn't subtle as in Clannad:AS, where all the drama was actually logical and defended itself. In AnoHana it was out of place and we were forced to swallow all of it - especially the ending, which was actually well-aimed, but missed due to the lack of emotional build-up.

So you see - it's all a matter of taste. De gustibus non est disputandum - you simply need to understand that if someone hates something and has enough logical criticism behind him to defend his opinion... you MUST accept it.

//By the way - I actually liked it quite a bit.
LustrelessApr 17, 2012 2:19 PM

Apr 17, 2012 2:18 PM

Jan 2012
ED was over-dramatic, but overall, it was a very good series, imo.
Lemme smang it girl.
Apr 17, 2012 7:31 PM

Sep 2009
Blackiris said:

So you see - it's all a matter of taste. De gustibus non est disputandum - you simply need to understand that if someone hates something and has enough logical criticism behind him to defend his opinion... you MUST accept it.

I think that's where the line becomes blurred for a lot of people. I know I had an discussion with one of the posters here on another thread about it. People are caught up in giving in to their opinions that soon it becomes fact and they operate on such presumptions.

For the most part I'd like to say it's not their opinions I disagree with, it's the basis they are judging the series that's odd.

As for this...

SeraVerte said:
I was shaking my head when fatty broke down and when Jintan was yelling at Menma to come out; the ending just leaves an awful taste in your mouth and leaves you thinking "was I supposed to care for these people?"

I personally think it reflected towards the importance of Menma and their past together more then the characters themselves as they are now.
Apr 17, 2012 8:14 PM

Jun 2011
Hm. I personally had high expectations of this show when I read the synopsis, and wasn't disappointed. It had a touching story which, for some reason, seems to be hard to come by unless you're watching something produced by Key. The story was fine.

I think what might seem questionable to people's tastes would be the way in which the story and characters were executed; many people complained during the first episode or two that some of the characters were too cold and dislikeable, or found Menma annoying. When you're trying to make the audience sympathize with the characters, it helps if they're easy to relate to. Although I personally had no problems with the cast, I can see this being an issue...

For example, I found a few scenes a bit overdone, such as the entire group of friends crying and playing Hide and Seek with Menma in the last episode; the way in which the characters acted seemed a bit difficult to relate to.

The other point in question would probably be how they executed the story. Although the series was touching, when you actually go back and look at it, you realize that most of the substance consists of character rather than story development (this actually goes against Aristotle's concept of tragedy). If you dislike the characters, you'd probably have a hard time enjoying the story as well.
'I met many people. We were separated. And then reunited. This tune contains all those feelings.'
- Nanaka Yatsushiro, Myself;Yourself, Episode 13
May 6, 2012 12:55 AM

Sep 2011
Yeah, I agree with SeraVerte. Tears from the audience should be earned not milked. And the scene where Tetsudo (the chubby fellow) started begging Jintan to let Menma go to heaven and then 3...2...1... everyone doesn't start crying or sob but explode with tears like they never did before seemed very, very unnatural.
I was like: "Hmmm... ok, so the cheerful, relaxed guy goes all moaning, crying suddenly, but maybe he was just holding back inside" and then... 'waaaahhhh'... I thought to myself "What the heck? Has someone just cast some sort of 'tears burst' spell or something?"... we see and hear others simultaneously bawl (specially the girls) like infants.
Another thing, as far as I remember, is that Menma seemed to enjoy her being among the living while others treated it like it was the big tragedy.
I didn't hate the show, but it wasn't anything special. May have been very good but messed up few things.
Also I sort of understand people saying that it was big noise about nothing.
And yeah Menma was cute.
LinaerisMay 6, 2012 1:09 AM
Dec 7, 2012 12:07 AM
Oct 2012
If anyone could hate this beautiful anime, it would have to be Key fanboys/girls, as any other ACTUAL real slice of life animes which are sad and beautiful can't possible be better than your typical unrealistic supernatural once or twice tearjerker where everything comes good in the end such as Key works. Not that I have anything against them (just their fans as you can clearly see), but if you can't see the beauty and sadness in this masterpiece anime, then I just suppose you've never really lost anyone dear to you (blissful life that must be) and/or can't relate to ANY of the characters in the cast in which all matters and makes this anime so great because they all represent that someone out there who has lost someone dear to them and lost their way in life before they came together again unlike Key where the main character is all that matters and nothing else, but always end up magically into a good ending like everything was just a dream and what else (because who cares about logic if we decide to combine supernatural and sappy drama, right?). That, my friend, is the differense between a sappy "everything will be good" drama ending and a anime that made you tear up so often (and not just once or twice like in Key animes) if you could actually relate to any of them (especiall Menma), which doesn't seem to be the case with you supernatural drama fans who prefer a unrealistic happy sappy drama ending to a real actual slice of life masterpiece that deserves any good respect it gets to way.

And I can say still to this date, I still tear up whenever I hear Secret Base. Way way more than any of the tracks Key has made me do in their little rare sad moments which always gets miraculous repaired by the end of their shows.
Dec 7, 2012 8:41 PM
Mar 2010
The more popular, the more hate.

The thing is, when an anime's not that that popular, it won't get a lot of hate. Why? Because everyone excepts the fact that it's not that great. But when an anime is held in high regards, people who didn't enjoy the anime start coming out and complaining. It's not really that they hate this series more than other series, it's just that there's no sense of complaining about an anime the general public thinks is shit. That's why you'll find me questioning Clannad more than you'll find me talking about Tokimeki Memorial. Obviously Tokimeki was a far worse piece of shit (hell, I didn't even dislike Clannad... I gave it a 7/6), but I question the popularity of Clannad more.

Personally, I loved anohana. HATTUZGUNHATE.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"

More topics from this board

» I'm watching this in 2024

bUriTtOTiTaN - Mar 26

30 by RegicakTiiy »»
Mar 29, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1235 by sarkardragon »»
Feb 21, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

387 by mylovetokoyami »»
Feb 16, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

229 by nisensi »»
Feb 9, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

notnishiura - Apr 21, 2011

358 by Xeehad »»
Jan 17, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.