Forum Settings
Forums

Success of Gundam Unicorn Cancels Failure of Gundam AGE

New
Apr 13, 2012 11:51 PM

Feb 2008
According to Nikkei MJ, the rating of Mobile Suit Gundam AGE has been hovering around the 2% level. Although the main target of the TV series is preteen boys, the rating among the kids sometimes goes down to zero. Bandai has been aware of the unpopularity of Gundam AGE among kids and have tried to identify the reason by conducting a questionnaire. What they found from the survey was that kids today are unfamiliar with wars and space colonies. To draw the attentions of those kids, Bandai featured scenes at school in Asem's Arc, but their attempt failed to obtain the expected result.

Despite the failure of Gundam AGE, Ueno Kazunori, the President of Bandai Namco HD, has been keeping his composure with the business. At the beginning of this year, Ueno encouraged the disheartened staff of Gundam AGE by saying, "Don't be in panic." The reason for his calmness is the favorable status of the whole Gundam sales, which has grown by 18% year-on-year. The increase is mainly attributed to the success of Gundam Unicorn. Bandai Namco HD will expand the business by coordinating the subsidiary companies taking advantage of the popularity of Gundam Unicorn among fans in their 30-40s.

According to Nijigen Shinbun, a film project of Gundam AGE has been surfaced. The authenticity of the report is uncertain.

Sources: Nikkei MJ, Jpanimate, Cyzo, Nijigen Shinbun
NaruleachApr 14, 2012 1:27 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 14, 2012 12:00 AM

Dec 2010
Age isn't bad at all
Apr 14, 2012 12:01 AM

Apr 2010
Why I am not surprised by this news.
Apr 14, 2012 12:04 AM

Jan 2009
notsureifsrs said:
Age isn't bad at all

agreed, gundam AGE is indeed not bat at all
Apr 14, 2012 12:08 AM

Feb 2011
notsureifsrs said:
Age isn't bad at all

I also agree to that.
Apr 14, 2012 12:17 AM
Oct 2011
Yeah I don't know why people hate age so much. I don't think it's that bad.
Apr 14, 2012 12:48 AM

Apr 2008
I was one of those who looked at AGE at the beginning and went 'ew character designs' (still applies to Dique, dear god..), but really this show isn't that bad. It's weaker than the average series, but much better than DESTINY or the awful 00 movie.
My Blog: Oasis Crossing ~The Book of Friends~

Forum Avatar: Fram Nara from Gundam AGE
Apr 14, 2012 1:05 AM

Jul 2010
AGE isn't that bad, but the designs based at a younger audience turned away a lot of people (me included), but it actually wasn't that bad after I watched a couple episodes
Apr 14, 2012 1:08 AM

Feb 2008
mitch3315 said:
notsureifsrs said:
Age isn't bad at all

unless you are a preteen...in which case the numbers do not support you.
Apr 14, 2012 1:47 AM

Sep 2010
Agreed.
I don't see it to be so bad. In fact, i pretty much enjoyed it.
Although yes, sometimes it felt kinda weird LOL
Apr 14, 2012 1:47 AM

Jul 2010
2nd arc of Gundam Age is quite fun to watch, but for some people...

it's just way too late
Apr 14, 2012 1:53 AM

Nov 2007
age is a total failure in my eyes so was wing,seed,g fighter,and all the SD's

unicorn is bad ass although i dont know why they are making it carry all the wieght of age from its failure >.> makes it sound like there is going to be a 48-52 eps of age.......................

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Apr 14, 2012 2:10 AM

Jun 2011
...that kids today are unfamiliar with wars and space colonies.

eh, what?
Childs todays are unfamiliar with war? With call of duty and all those wargames that fly around?
Apr 14, 2012 2:16 AM
Feb 2012
Hmm, Nikkei MJ... A Business magagine, huh?
Kids who have watched Anime have grown up and now they are 30-50 years old.
When I went to watch Yamato 2199, almost all audience are over 40.
Gundam UC is the sequel of 0079, Z, ZZ, Gyakushuu no Char and old fans want to watch. They have much money, and DVDs and Blue-Rays are sold very very well.

Well, Anime is so popular in Japan in comparison with others. Anime is over generations.
antibiotictabApr 14, 2012 3:15 AM
日本人です。海外の反応系のブログもいくつか見させてもらってますw 翻訳頑張ってくださいね。
Apr 14, 2012 2:39 AM
Jan 2011
Gundam AGE failed co'z it focuses something that is retro from the 80's. Gundam Unicorn should have been made into a 12 episode anime instead of a OVA.
Apr 14, 2012 2:42 AM
Dec 2007
AGE is average, Unicorn is a masterpiece. Maybe that makes a difference after all.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 14, 2012 3:10 AM

Jun 2011
Nasty001 said:
Gundam AGE failed co'z it focuses something that is retro from the 80's. Gundam Unicorn should have been made into a 12 episode anime instead of a OVA.

SEED focuses on Gundam 0079. AGE focused more on something like Nadesico. Although the Gundam Design goes back too 0079 (which I find quite good).

And cmon, you say AGE fails because its retro, but then again say Unicorn should have made into a 12-Episode anime for itself? You know, it focus on the Uniersal Century... which was... eh... 20 years ago? Since Wing and G there was no UC anymore.

And cmon, Banagher Links is just as whiny as Amuro was back in the old days. We hae Haro, we have the Char-Clone (*lol*), I say it just sells good, BECAUSE there are so many Oldschoolfans who sill know UC and now are over 40+.

AGE tried to bring soemthing good to the children nowadays, it failed. Why? The children nowaday are stupid not to apprecite Gundam.
Apr 14, 2012 3:14 AM

Aug 2011
angelslayerX said:

eh, what?
Childs todays are unfamiliar with war? With call of duty and all those wargames that fly around?

Fair point on war, but there are no space colonies around these days, where as I spent my childhood years running around inside a space colony.

kisami said:
mitch3315 said:
notsureifsrs said:
Age isn't bad at all

unless you are a preteen...in which case the numbers do not support you.

But I'm not a preteen.

Nasty001 said:

Your logic is terrible.
Apr 14, 2012 3:40 AM

Apr 2010
Unicorn is probably a success due to one thing, it's set in the same universe as the Gundam shows that the fans were watching in the 80's. It's got references to previous shows that they'll understand, plus it adds onto timeline in the UC era. They'd rather have the references in there than watch something that completely reboots the gundam universe like Wing or 00 did.

AGE flopped probably due to the demographic moving onto other things. They just don't see Gundam as something that is relevant as it once was.
Apr 14, 2012 4:42 AM

Jun 2009
This is not surprising at all. When the Bandai people came to Anime Expo 2011, everyone at the panel said Age was going to be a total flop.

No one liked the idea of the new Gundam series was going to target preteens. Even when some one asked that very question, the Bandai people said "well, that's why you have Gundam Unicorn right?"

So even back then they had Unicorn to fall back on.

I'm sure those that remember that panel could chime in.
Apr 14, 2012 4:42 AM
Nov 2010
Gundam AGE is not too bad, but it's nothing special, either... I hope they'll cancel it soon or it might get really bad...
Apr 14, 2012 4:47 AM
Jun 2008
no wonder the PG-gundam age is no good to watch besides it too not working.

1.3 different story of 3 sets of generation not much to give make short series.

2.lack of characters using come some of them got mis-used.

3.too very PG light soft to watch indeed older fans want something.

overall the age is a BOMB failure so bad only one thing to do SAVE_US GS ERA!!!
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Apr 14, 2012 4:52 AM

Jul 2010
It's not cancel Gundam Age failure in term of sales

its overwhelmed it, damn with that kind of sales for each volume

I couldn't imagine what kind of profit they have >.>

angelslayerX said:

eh, what?

sure you remember that he talked about kids in japan
Apr 14, 2012 4:58 AM
Mar 2011
i was hoping AGE would be an AU version of Victory but far to light harted it is more and AU of ZZ
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 14, 2012 5:10 AM

Mar 2010
not surprised. age is kinda boring :o
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
Apr 14, 2012 5:16 AM

Feb 2008
AGE is pretty awful, but then again I'm only 8 episodes into it right now and it supposedly improves. Unicorn is great though and deserves its title as the best selling OVA series of all time. We need more of that, less of... whatever AGE is.
Apr 14, 2012 5:24 AM

Jan 2011
webkid94 said:
I was one of those who looked at AGE at the beginning and went 'ew character designs' (still applies to Dique, dear god..), but really this show isn't that bad. It's weaker than the average series, but much better than DESTINY or the awful 00 movie.

You did NOT just effing say that... you're gonna start a damn war brother.
Apr 14, 2012 5:30 AM

Aug 2011
Veronin said:
AGE is pretty awful, but then again I'm only 8 episodes into it right now and it supposedly improves. Unicorn is great though and deserves its title as the best selling OVA series of all time. We need more of that, less of... whatever AGE is.

Asemu's arch is much better than Flit's.
Apr 14, 2012 5:30 AM

Jun 2009
AGE is not bad, JUST DISGUSTINGLY RIDICULOUS!!!!
Apr 14, 2012 5:53 AM
Mar 2011
Actually if the drawing was better like gundam seed & gundam seed destiny, i might have considered watching gundam age.
Apr 14, 2012 6:01 AM
Nov 2009
I love Gundam AGE, but its main problem is that they seemed to have spend the entire first generation deciding which audience they were trying to get, since about two episodes in it became clear that kids didn't give a damn.

Then that led to the school arc (Which I was fine with) and now they've just started to kill people off en masse now that it's clear that kids aren't watching, I guess.
Apr 14, 2012 6:05 AM

May 2008
AGE isn't that bad at all! The beginning started off slow yeah, but it gradually picked itself up and started getting really interesting. Sure it's totally not as good as SEED or 00, but it's still good none the less.

Apr 14, 2012 6:05 AM

Sep 2010
mitch3315 said:
Veronin said:

Asemu's arch is much better than Flit's.

Flits arc was decent, but it could have done without the Fairdain arc. >_>

Asemu's arc is amazing and I'm expecting great things from the Kio arc.

I hope the film project is true and is also a sequel to the series and not a movie trilogy. If it is a sequel they better not fuck it up like the 00 movie. >_> That is probably where the assumption that the UE are aliens came from was because of the previous 00 movie. There is no aliens in AGE. xP

AGE's 2nd opening by Nagato made 4,000 sales so even if the DVDs/BR sales suck the merchandise sales will cover them.

AGE is amazing sad to see it doing badly really am its not that bad once you get pass the Fairdain arc in the first generation.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 14, 2012 6:14 AM

Jun 2009
I find Age not that bad. IMO, the thing that kinda went downhill from the start is that they portrayed the Antagonists to be aliens and focuses on just Flit (maybe some Decil...not really) while the UE were disregarded. Even in Asemu's arc, the only Vegan that has a background is Zeheart while the rest of that race is ambiguous to the viewers.

Doesn't this make you hungry?
Apr 14, 2012 6:35 AM

Jan 2008
(...)kids today are unfamiliar with wars and space colonies(...)

Seems like a questionnaire created and filled in within PR Department. So much fail.

Anyway, serves them right. AGE has a quite bad series composition and is quite shallow on character profiles and developments. Unicorn is the very much the opposite. And I don't think its success has that much to do with the UC timeline. It simply has quality written all over it.

AGE is ZZ-tier so far and it's nothing to be proud of. Second arc is a vast improvement over Flit arc, but for me it's only because it contains more mature themes and better space battles. Scriptwriting and dialogue are still sub-par though.

Overall, if I was watching this as a kid it would discourage me from checking other series pretty efficiently.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 14, 2012 6:36 AM

Jun 2011
MapoTofu said:
I find Age not that bad. IMO, the thing that kinda went downhill from the start is that they portrayed the Antagonists to be aliens and focuses on just Flit (maybe some Decil...not really) while the UE were disregarded. Even in Asemu's arc, the only Vegan that has a background is Zeheart while the rest of that race is ambiguous to the viewers.

It isnt that. In Nadesico there were Aliens from the Jupiter, which you found after like... eh... 17 episodes that there were human after all. And even than only 3-4 really got a charcter development at all from the enemy. What Nadesico did instead of AGE was more focus on the crew personal problems and character development. But because we have three different arcs with timeslip in AGE, there isnt much character development you can do but the mc himself. Although they did that pretty good, Flit is lost in his revenge, Asemu has his problems with not being a X-Rounder like his father.

I have great hopes for the third arc, as, as long AGE will have around 50 episodes, the third arc will have the most epsiodes from all the arcs, so they can do in the last arc alot of character development, and, instead of before, making a harem, as that MC doesnt have to make a child.
Apr 14, 2012 6:38 AM

Jul 2011
-clicks on Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn-
-Ranked #51-
me: ... yeah...
Apr 14, 2012 6:38 AM

Sep 2010
angelslayerX said:
MapoTofu said:

It isnt that. In Nadesico there were Aliens from the Jupiter, which you found after like... eh... 17 episodes that there were human after all. And even than only 3-4 really got a charcter development at all from the enemy. What Nadesico did instead of AGE was more focus on the crew personal problems and character development. But because we have three different arcs with timeslip in AGE, there isnt much character development you can do but the mc himself. Although they did that pretty good, Flit is lost in his revenge, Asemu has his problems with not being a X-Rounder like his father.

I have great hopes for the third arc, as, as long AGE will have around 50 episodes, the third arc will have the most epsiodes from all the arcs, so they can do in the last arc alot of character development, and, instead of before, making a harem, as that MC doesnt have to make a child.

I think AGE will have 45 episodes all together since there has been I think 15 episodes for each generation so far. Unless they decide to give Kio 20 episodes.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 14, 2012 7:09 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
webkid94 said:
It's weaker than the average series

That's the problem.

It waay too average.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 14, 2012 7:13 AM
Jun 2008
really give total bad idea making 3 different story into one whole show with too much time-skip.

ya mention lack of characters develop give some were being fillers, cannon fodder, extra, living props, etc.

besides it like make it into 3 season series story into one whole bomb to watch.

overall i don't if anything that can salvage what left of look like failed experiment?

yea better call in SAVE_US GS ERA.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Apr 14, 2012 7:35 AM

Nov 2008
So AGE failed after all, not surprising, we all knew it would.

Unicorn is great but we need The Origin.

Apr 14, 2012 7:35 AM

Jun 2008
I ROFL'd..

If they made "two" UC series they would be richer... lol

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Apr 14, 2012 7:36 AM

Apr 2012
Well gundam age died when the heroine in the first story died.
Apr 14, 2012 7:48 AM

Jan 2010
Poor AGE...it was downright terrible in the first arc but Asem's arc has been very good. I also like how they completely changed it and sent it right back to the typical Gundam formula once they realized it was going to be a flop. We have the masked man who's 3x as fast, the angry and angsty main character, and as a curveball a Nina Purpleton clone.

I hope for their next round of TV Gundam they go back to something that's either UC or targeted at an older demographic. Or they can just put Tomino's idea of G REKO and see how that goes. I'm sure watching a Tomino show in 2012 will be absolutely hilarious. I'm ready for the pointless deaths, terrible comedy, bizarre pacing, warped view on feminism, and the unlikable characters.
Ok™
Apr 14, 2012 7:52 AM

Apr 2010
They should have known it would be a flop when they used that art style. The outrage and crying was really significant.
RyanSaotomeApr 14, 2012 8:07 AM

Apr 14, 2012 8:05 AM

Sep 2010
RyanSaotome said:
They should have known it would be a flop they used that art style. The outrage and crying was really significant.

I actually liked the art style although I'm not going to lie the character designs to some of the characters were not so great.

I'd rather Sunrise to stick to new universes when it comes to TV series than to go back to UC.

Really not looking forward to The Origin cause 0079 is bad imo. Although someone did restore some faith and said that the character development was better in The Origin.
Apr 14, 2012 8:42 AM
Nov 2009
McRib said:
Poor AGE...it was downright terrible in the first arc but Asem's arc has been very good. I also like how they completely changed it and sent it right back to the typical Gundam formula once they realized it was going to be a flop. We have the masked man who's 3x as fast, the angry and angsty main character, and as a curveball a Nina Purpleton clone.

I hope for their next round of TV Gundam they go back to something that's either UC or targeted at an older demographic. Or they can just put Tomino's idea of G REKO and see how that goes. I'm sure watching a Tomino show in 2012 will be absolutely hilarious. I'm ready for the pointless deaths, terrible comedy, bizarre pacing, warped view on feminism, and the unlikable characters.

None of Tomino's stuff has been like that since Victory Gundam, though. Turn A Gundam, Brain Powerd and King Gainer are all much more light-hearted than his UC Gundam offerings.
Apr 14, 2012 10:11 AM

Nov 2008
All Hail GUNDAM UNICORN
Drop Dead GUNDAM AGE
Apr 14, 2012 10:13 AM

Nov 2008
angelslayerX said:

eh, what?

u crack me up dude though i must say that ur right lol
Apr 14, 2012 10:32 AM

Dec 2010
Hahaha what the fuck.

Well, whatever. The idea was good; breeding a newer generation of fans. I guess though popular themes remain king. Too bad, huh?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

56 by Icebreaker93 »»
13 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
1 hour ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 4 hours ago

1 by deg »»
2 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.