Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone else think the numbers dont add up?

New
Sep 9, 2008 7:19 PM

Jun 2008
I dont want to put anyone on the spot, but how does a 4-month old member get over 80% 100+ helpfuls in his reviews and he's a relatively unknown person?

Granted the reviews are good but someone hitting 130+ helpfuls for a review he made 10 days ago where as it takes everyone else 1-2 years to accumulate the same amount for one review? Is this guy writing reviews that rivals that of great writers or something? It just doesn't add up to me? Considering the person small activity.

Oh well i was just browsing the reviews section to read the "most Popular" reviews and this guy had at the time, 5 out of the 10 slots filled in the "most popular" so i was just curious. Granted there are quite a few 100+ helpfuls that get to the most popular spot but a review posted 14 days ago to get that amount is something i havent seen before in this website.

http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?uid=58731
NagatoFanSep 9, 2008 7:40 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 9, 2008 7:21 PM

Jan 2008
i dont think it adds up either

Sep 9, 2008 7:41 PM

Oct 2006
is he cheating? lol I dont see why someone would do that or how they could but it is a little strange.
Sep 9, 2008 7:48 PM

Jan 2008
A flaw in the system?
Sep 9, 2008 7:54 PM

Jun 2008
i dont see how its suspicious, length of membership doesn't mean much maybe people just find those reviews really helpful its not like every single review he has made has 100+ helpful hits, i dont see how he would benefit by cheating, personally i have hit helpful on some of those reviews.
Sep 9, 2008 8:00 PM

Mar 2007
Well theres even a club that specializes on reviews and even they dont break over 100+ that fast :P

the quality is there but i do see the numbers a little wacky. Someone with those kind of numbers you'd assume be quite popular or something rite? Well thats the first time i've ever seen that many reviews gain such a high score so fast considering i've been here for the past few years

well if anything, this thread its kind of like free promotion :P

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Sep 9, 2008 8:03 PM

Feb 2008
I don't think it's any big deal. (Lawl FLCL)
Sep 9, 2008 8:28 PM

Jul 2007
So I wasn't the only one who noticed...

I was thinking he might have a few friends from other forums or something. Heck, even the 4-person review teams of C&C couldn't get numbers like that in so short a time.
Sep 9, 2008 8:42 PM

Jun 2008
at the bottom of the page when looking for anime you see the reviews made for that certain anime, still dont see how this is suspicious, dont be haters.
Sep 9, 2008 9:12 PM

May 2008
I was curious since those were pretty lengthy reviews, so I put my on my internet detective hat.

By copying and pasting a line here or there into google, I'm getting different review sources back.

Some guy in Romania (Scrapped Princess)
Some guy named Peter (Fairy Tail)

I stopped looking after that, but as you can see, his reviews are almost all straight copy/pastes from other reviewers. My curiosity has been satiated, so I leave it to someone else to take it farther if they want.

Sep 9, 2008 9:34 PM

Jul 2007
After copying whole sentences and paragraphs and doing several Google searches, here are a few identical hits:

Samurai Champloo
Ergo Proxy
Baccano!
Hunter x Hunter
Claymore
Gunslinger Girl
Berserk
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Seto no Hanayome
Death Note
Read or Die
Rurouni Kenshin
Darker Than Black
Spiral
Perfect Blue
Gurren Lagann
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Air Gear
Serial Experiments Lain
Elfen Lied
Golgo 13
Revolutionary Girl Utena
etc.

Either
a) this guy goes by multiple identities and posts at various reviews on different websites, or
b) he's "borrowing" this stuff.
YuunagiSep 10, 2008 3:48 AM
Sep 9, 2008 10:00 PM

Nov 2007
Eh. give the man some credit. He probably spends more time doing those reviews than i do writing essays and shit (schoolwork xD) at home.
cyruzSep 15, 2008 8:12 AM

"Sanity is overrated."
Sep 10, 2008 12:48 AM

Jul 2008
Maybe there is just a recent exponential burst in demand for information on Akira.
Sep 10, 2008 12:53 AM

Mar 2007
yakyuu-addict said:
Maybe there is just a recent exponential burst in demand for information on Akira.

i lol'd

Sep 10, 2008 1:18 AM

Jan 2008
yakyuu-addict said:

Hah!

This guy is my fucking hero.

Well, besides the plagiarism, the question of how the votes appeared is still unanswered.

Note: I realized only after uploading three of the images that I could have just shoved it all into one. Oh well.
XD3r3K-chanX1996Sep 10, 2008 1:25 AM

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Sep 10, 2008 3:24 AM

Oct 2007
Well true it is a bit of a mystery how someone, previously unknown, was able to accumulate all those Helpful votes but I've got nothing against him, seeing how he's filling this site with some good reviews. Much better than the shit that's constantly being submitted, like this one...

Ryltar said:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
This is a great anime. Full of energy and spirit. Make sure you have plenty to do after words, because it will leave you wanting to run around yelling for a couple hours after the finale!

This is a must see! Not just for mecha fans, but for those who like a good story and excellent(and strange) characters! :)

^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2008 3:42 AM

Mar 2008
i guess his reviews are really good or that he hacking. not sure though..
~Friendship is so sweet that it can cause tooth decay~

~Respect the losers, cause without them, there'll be no winners~
Sep 10, 2008 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
first of all i'd like to say that i've never heard of this guy before and i agree with master_m2k as well....he's reviews are really good and fun to read...heck he even makes some of the animes that look like they have poor art or even from the 80's tempting to watch! overall i think everyone here should gather some evidence before coming up with theories like "maybe he's borrowing other ppl's reviews" where's the evidence.....or even how can he get so many helpful votes when he's a new member....
hey has anyone over here actually thought "hmm maybe this guy studied A-level english language and literature and really likes to write. he enjoys animes and manga and so this gives him an opportunity to share his thoughts and feelings to everyone else here on mal. his reviews are interesting to read and i might even watch those anime's that i normally wouldn't"

all i'm saying is gather some evidence before hating on someone...and when somebody does....then i won't hesitate to switch sides.
Sep 10, 2008 5:52 AM
Jul 2018
aah, just realised i missed the post by Palimpsest....if this really is a copy of someone else's work and some people here aren't pleased by it, then inform that other reviewer about it and then the truth will be revealed
Sep 10, 2008 6:37 AM

Apr 2008
Has anyone actually challenged the person who copied those reviews, and asked him why he's doing it?

I've looked through the links posted by Yuunagi, and imagine my surprise and concern to find that almost every single review has been stolen from somewhere else.

Look, it's very simple. Someone, somewhere, has gone to the effort of putting down their honest thoughts and feeling regarding a show. It's appaling that someone has been so lazy and dishonest, that they are gaining credit for what someone else has worked at.

I think the entire body of reviews should be removed, and I think the originators of each of those reviews should be contacted to add their voices. I think the person who stole should be removed from MAL completely.

I have the utmost respect for reviewers here on MAL, but what this person has done calls the review written by everyone into question.

I suggest that everyone who has issues with what's been done should get in touch with Xinil and have those reviews removed. If the person wants to post their own honest review after that, then they can do so.

Sep 10, 2008 6:41 AM

Nov 2007
I personally don't care about all that stealing crap as long as there are good reviews available.

"Sanity is overrated."
Sep 10, 2008 6:51 AM
Jun 2008
Azamat said:
I personally don't care about all that stealing crap as long as there are good reviews available.

Actually, as one of the people whose reviews got plagiarized here, I disagree. I'm not sure how you'd feel if someone just stole something you spent a lot of time at, but I'd rather not see my reviews getting stolen and used without my consent.

EDIT: especially if he managed to launch it to the list of best-rated reviews somehow..
psgelsSep 10, 2008 6:56 AM
Sep 10, 2008 7:26 AM

Apr 2008
Good reviews are one thing, but I'm sure if you worked on something only to have someone else gain the credit for it, you'd be annoyed at the very least.

It's easy for you to sit there and say you don't care though, cos it hasn't happened to you. I'm sure if we asked the people who's reviews he's nicked what they feel about it, then we'd see a different story.
Sep 10, 2008 7:57 AM

Dec 2007
I agree totally with psgels (who does run a very good review site - look up Star Crossed Anime Blog) - it is hard to patrol, but blatant copying needs to be rooted out. I say we round up the mob, and click on the 'report' buttons for his/her "reviews".

Now to really stir up the pitchfork-and-torches mob. On top of everything, he turned me into a newt!
Ok, I did get better...

(with apologies to John Cleese)
psygremlinSep 10, 2008 8:09 AM
Gremlin's World - School Daze - The Comedies III
Sep 10, 2008 8:35 AM

Sep 2008
I love this guy's reviews
but they do sometimes seem fragmented.

If he is copy/pasting, then that just adds another dimension to this whole argument.
...And I just joined, so I'll stay out these controversial issues for now...
Sep 10, 2008 8:44 AM

Jul 2008
We should have a community wide iniative against him. Send him angry messages, blacklist him for all clubs, absolutely slam anything else he posts on the site, etc. Justice belongs with the majority, so let's let him taste the MAL community's resolve.
Sep 10, 2008 8:50 AM

Apr 2007
This guy must be like "Dammit they found me out. Well I had a good run." Lawl.

What proof do you have that this is plagerism?

Sep 10, 2008 8:51 AM

Mar 2007
Palimpsest said:
yakyuu-addict said:

Hah!

Well not to sound racist or anything (considering I too am Filipino). But his words are a little too articulate for an avg Filipino. I mean a kid in the Philippines that plays a mess of games and watches anime is pretty much an avg kid ^_^

They speak fluent English and learn English starting at an early age, but even the Filipino president doesn't even speak as well as those how reviews looked (if that made sense :P) Whoever really did the writing of those reviews, should be hired as the speechwriter for the Philippine Presidente

EDIT2: I honestly wouldn't mind if they were really his work. Hell, I'd tell him good job but now that his cover's blown >_< I found that pretty funny
RanivusSep 10, 2008 9:14 AM

Sep 10, 2008 9:04 AM

Mar 2007
while i do agree that plagiarizing is a terrible thing to do, this issue could've been brought up with Xinil or other moderators privately and not through the forums.
Sep 10, 2008 9:21 AM

Jun 2008
Thats the thing, how could i have known these were plagarized? I just saw something that was out of the ordinary. I'm not that smart so I thought I could converge with other 'great minds' of the MAL community to find out what is the deal.

I never would have thought he ripped every single review he posted off the internet.
I also didn't want to ask the person directly considering he probably wouldn't tell the truth anyway

As you can see a few other people did some better 'sleuthing' than I could have and we have come to this conclusion 14 hours later. We should join a CSI unit or something.
Sep 10, 2008 9:28 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
All of this user's reviews will be removed soon. I've confirmed that they are all plagiarized.

Plagiarizers will not be tolerated. It's illegal and destructive to the original owner's work.
Sep 10, 2008 9:55 AM

Sep 2007
The justice wins again. =)
Sep 10, 2008 10:01 AM

Feb 2008
Temezi said:
The justice wins again. =)
Is that some kind of anti-plagiarism superhero?
Sep 10, 2008 10:22 AM

Jul 2007
Wasted_Life said:
They speak fluent English and learn English starting at an early age, but even the Filipino president doesn't even speak as well as those how reviews looked (if that made sense :P) Whoever really did the writing of those reviews, should be hired as the speechwriter for the Philippine Presidente

Forget about speech writing. With a transparency record like that, he's perfect for Philippine politics. -_-

Glad to see that it's been sorted out. I would still like to hear what he has to say about the issue though.
Sep 10, 2008 10:38 AM

Sep 2008
I can't believe I praised his work. We've all been played, at least the ones who voted "helpful" on his reviews.
This really upsets me; the reviewers of the plagiarized material must be even more furious.
Sep 10, 2008 11:02 AM

May 2007
stealing isn't cool :<

glad to see they're being removed.
Sep 10, 2008 11:23 AM

Jan 2008
I'd never thought that the guy would do such a thing

this blows for Filipinos everywhere
Sep 10, 2008 12:24 PM

Jan 2008
Someone will have a new username xD.
Sep 10, 2008 3:53 PM

Sep 2008
haha what a low thing to do. "Hey im not satisfied with my life i need someone to tell me that im good.. eureka i got it! I copy alot of great reviews from other people that really know how to write compelling stuff unlike me that hardly can do the crossword puzzle in the morning paper! yeah that will show them! I will be loved" something like that maybe?:P anyway i would be furious if someone stole something from me that im proud of, its just words sure. but its MY words. oh well
Sep 10, 2008 6:31 PM

Aug 2008
Definitely is good that this was taken care of.
Joni-CarrigenSep 10, 2008 6:41 PM
Sep 10, 2008 6:49 PM

Jul 2008
Well shucks. Now no one can read them.
Sep 10, 2008 8:31 PM

May 2007
Xinil said:
All of this user's reviews will be removed soon. I've confirmed that they are all plagiarized.

Plagiarizers will not be tolerated. It's illegal and destructive to the original owner's work.

Good to know.
Sep 10, 2008 8:37 PM

Aug 2008
All's well that ends well.
Sep 10, 2008 10:25 PM

Oct 2007
LOL! Even his profile note sounds a little bit strange. Anyways, glad to see this is now over, Damn! I'm a Filipino & I pity this guy so much =/

Sep 11, 2008 7:30 AM

Mar 2008
Xinil said:

Justice truly exists (for once) ;D

All hail Xinil!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2008 7:34 AM
Jul 2008
Xinil said:

You are a paladin
no
Sep 11, 2008 7:49 AM

Mar 2008
why do people submit "reviews" and claim it to be theirs when they didn't even bother writing them out? this make the REAL reviewers look bad ><
Sep 11, 2008 4:08 PM

Jun 2008
kaminakun said:
why do people submit "reviews" and claim it to be theirs when they didn't even bother writing them out? this make the REAL reviewers look bad ><
Because it's cool to write kickass, lengthy, detailed reviews on the Internet. Uh. Yeah. Totally. It's all about raising your self-esteem....that somebody else should have got.

Edit: Lol at the comment "Justice wins again". So true.
TachiiSep 11, 2008 4:12 PM
Sep 11, 2008 4:27 PM

Oct 2007
Well that gave me a good laugh.

Sep 14, 2008 7:47 AM

Aug 2008
zeff said:
Dest said:
Someone will have a new username xD.

I actually did a little investigation and I think I found out what user(name) has he become now. Though I'm not 100% sure. He has new reviews again, now I wonder if they are "real" now and not plagiarized.

I believe we both are thinking of the same new user. I checked their anime list and everything has the same anime. (There were also new ones added) The score are a bit different but that doesn't change anything.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
11 hours ago

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - 11 hours ago

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
11 hours ago

» Question about parental consent

AverageRiceFan - Apr 16

1 by CareBear »»
12 hours ago

» On my profile I got the wrong number of total episodes/total time

GamiKhan - Yesterday

2 by GamiKhan »»
Yesterday, 2:58 PM

Sticky: » Advertisement Complaint Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 22, 2016

464 by traed »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.