Forum Settings
Forums

Terror crazyness incident 999899999346336, keep on rolling.

New
Apr 9, 2012 4:34 PM

Jun 2008
Department of Homeland Security = serious business. Lol
Maybe they should get a new badge:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/30/travelers-say-they-were-denied-entry-to-u-s-for-twitter-jokes/#more-157093
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 9, 2012 4:55 PM

Jul 2010
Sort of ridiculous. I understand where HLS is coming from but they need to learn when to be able to take a situation seriously or not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2012 5:41 PM

Aug 2009
HLS denying Euro trash entry... I don't see a problem here.
Apr 9, 2012 5:54 PM

Dec 2010
Smiddy said:

That's what they get for making fun of us, slanderizing, and comparing us to our politicians all the fucking time. Seriously. Gets old only after a few times.
Apr 9, 2012 6:56 PM

Nov 2010
gregory003 said:
Sort of ridiculous. I understand where HLS is coming from but they need to learn when to be able to take a situation seriously or not.

Disagree. They need to treat everything equally as if lives depended on it, if they ended up wrong about someone's humor and 1,000 innocent people died people would be singing a different tune.
Apr 9, 2012 7:00 PM

Jul 2010
Bostonblows said:
gregory003 said:

Disagree. They need to treat everything equally as if lives depended on it, if they ended up wrong about someone's humor and 1,000 innocent people died people would be singing a different tune.

I don't think terrorist tweet about what they're going to do. I think it's safe to say an obvious joke is fine.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2012 7:02 PM

Sep 2011
Bostonblows said:
gregory003 said:

Even with that said, I'd highly doubt that if someone was to actually "Destroy America" that they would start posting "tweet's" about it on the internet.
Apr 9, 2012 7:09 PM
May 2010
Bostonblows said:
gregory003 said:

Trolling.
Apr 9, 2012 9:37 PM

Nov 2008
Just the Feds taking out the trash, oh well. I'm glad they just deported them and that's it, it's nothing that deserves anything more than that.

Apr 9, 2012 9:43 PM

Jun 2008
Trying to think of a clever response but I can't.

Rawrol said:

Even with that said, I'd highly doubt that if someone was to actually "Destroy America" that they would start posting "tweet's" about it on the internet.
gregory003 said:
I don't think terrorist tweet about what they're going to do. I think it's safe to say an obvious joke is fine.

Applying common sense to a rare event is quite useless, isn't it? I mean, many people could say they will kill people irl but never did, but then there's that rare case where it does and we're left to wonder if we could've prevented any of it from happening if a lone guy decided to take it seriously. Their comments could initially be seen as idiotic as this dude's, with probably less stupidity and more heavy words involved.

All I'm saying is I understand where these guys are coming from, although I agree the level of paranoia is certainly pretty out there.

Still, when was the last time any of us heard from a guy who will destroy America anyways? It sounds so stupid and lolworthy if spoken at face value.
TachiiApr 9, 2012 9:48 PM
Apr 10, 2012 2:40 AM

Jan 2011
Smiddy said:

Hahaha you prefer mexicans to eurotrash.
Apr 10, 2012 5:31 AM

Jan 2011
Oh come on. Japan has even done that before to world war 2 veterans.

Also this

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3148317/Japan-sends-Paris-Hilton-home.html

Oh 2010 I miss you! Sadly they did not treat Lady Gaga the same way because earthquake stuff and she went over there to take advantage of everyone.
Apr 10, 2012 7:02 AM

Jul 2011
As much as I wanted to take this serious, I couldn't prevent myself from laughing. Realistically though they got a raw deal, especially if they had to pay for their flight and were not refunded. They likely just got one of "those" agents though. Anyone who has dealt with the border patrol on a regular basis likely knows what I mean.

I cross the border every week, usually 3-4 times per week, there are some bordermen who will let me by with 1-2 questions, some who want my entire life history, and the occasional few who find me suspicious for whatever reason and make me go inside to have my vehicle searched every time I have the pleasure of choosing their lane -_- Just one of those things I suppose.

Apr 10, 2012 8:44 AM

Nov 2011
Man, I can't believe they check tweets of people coming into the states, LOL. Well, now we know =D.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Apr 10, 2012 9:10 AM

Jun 2008
DarkShards said:
Man, I can't believe they check tweets of people coming into the states, LOL. Well, now we know =D.

Not only people coming into the states, locals ain't excluded.
Apr 10, 2012 9:32 AM

Aug 2011
JonyJC said:
Smiddy said:
Hahaha you prefer mexicans to eurotrash.
I'd rather have legal trash in my country than illegal trash. Just sayin'.
Apr 10, 2012 9:33 AM

Dec 2007
So if I tweet something like bomb America but don't visit America until 10 years later would they still stop me? Are they that good? :O
Apr 10, 2012 9:59 AM

Jun 2008
Day2Dream said:
So if I tweet something like bomb America but don't visit America until 10 years later would they still stop me? Are they that good? :O

That good or that paranoid?
Airport security has become nothing but a humiliation procedure and unfortunately anyone can see that it has more to do with some people playing bullies than actual security, people really shouldn't tolerate that shit but it seems the fear tactic is doing a good job.
Getting in or out of a country seems like getting in or out of a prison more and more.

Maybe Americans should remember some of the words of the guys they put on their dollar bills:
"Security without liberty is called prison."— Benjamin Franklin
Apr 10, 2012 10:05 AM
Apr 2012
Bostonblows said:
gregory003 said:

You shouldnt trade freedom for security
Apr 10, 2012 10:07 AM

Jun 2008
^ Of course you can.

:/.
Apr 10, 2012 10:35 AM

Nov 2011
Monad said:
DarkShards said:

Not only people coming into the states, locals ain't excluded.

Oh, I know they check tweets of everyone, what I am surprised about is them being persistent enough to catch him at the airport haha.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Apr 10, 2012 10:43 AM
Apr 2012
Tachii said:
^ Of course you can.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security."

A quote by Benjamin Franklin. I really hold true to that because if you allow the state to take more and more liberty, eventually, you have to fear the state. So eventually the people protecting you, also become the people oppressing and hurting you.

Most power eventually becomes abused, so you have to be careful the power you allow your government and society to have over you (the people)
Apr 10, 2012 12:02 PM

Jul 2011
allenkerky said:
Tachii said:
^ Of course you can.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security."

A quote by Benjamin Franklin. I really hold true to that because if you allow the state to take more and more liberty, eventually, you have to fear the state. So eventually the people protecting you, also become the people oppressing and hurting you.

Most power eventually becomes abused, so you have to be careful the power you allow your government and society to have over you (the people)

Do you view airport security or border patrol as a legitimate violation of your personal liberties as a United States citizen?

Apr 10, 2012 12:33 PM

Jun 2008
rekindledflame said:
allenkerky said:
Tachii said:
^ Of course you can.

Do you view airport security or border patrol as a legitimate violation of your personal liberties as a United States citizen?

It's all about being reasonable. No one said that there shouldn't be an airport security but the airport security shouldn't be anal invade too much in you privacy or make you feel humiliation.
Security should still treat you as an equal human being and not like an already probable terrorist.
Things like taking your fingerprints making you take your shoes off, searching your PC files, touching you or your kids too much or going through your bags by throwing stuff around etc shouldn't exist.
People should be able to go on their vacations or visit their family easily and not be afraid of security bullies. We should not let our lives being ruled by terror and fear.
Besides most of those crazy additions of humiliation and annoyance to passengers hardly do anything to increase security. It's more like they are designed to keep you scared than actually keep you secured.

If someone made a movie in the early 90's about the shit they do now people will have joked about it and say they don't expect such Owelian things to ever really happen but here we are. People forget that many things happening starting from the US and spreading will be considered an over reaching imagination some years back. I mean wtf, knowing everything you do, say or write and they even approved of killing people without trials, that's some crazy shit out of stories we used to read about crazy fascist future societies.
Apr 10, 2012 1:25 PM

Jun 2008
allenkerky said:
Tachii said:
^ Of course you can.

All my post really meant was to discourage people from posting one-liners which is usually hopelessly simplistic and impractical.

In reality we need both liberty and security. We need to properly weigh the two. When you suggest we cannot trade liberty for security, well, it all comes down to context. There should legitimately be a time where security is valued higher than liberty, and vice-versa. To simplify reality to one-liner idealistic quotes, while sounds good, isn't something I would abide by.

And besides, there is no absolute in anything. Everything is temporary. His quote seem to suggest we shouldn't trade any liberty for security, which is the other extreme of the spectrum.
Apr 10, 2012 1:47 PM

Jul 2011
Monad said:
rekindledflame said:
allenkerky said:
Tachii said:
^ Of course you can.

It's all about being reasonable. No one said that there shouldn't be an airport security but the airport security shouldn't be anal invade too much in you privacy or make you feel humiliation.
Security should still treat you as an equal human being and not like an already probable terrorist.
Things like taking your fingerprints making you take your shoes off, searching your PC files, touching you or your kids too much or going through your bags by throwing stuff around etc shouldn't exist.
People should be able to go on their vacations or visit their family easily and not be afraid of security bullies. We should not let our lives being ruled by terror and fear.
Besides most of those crazy additions of humiliation and annoyance to passengers hardly do anything to increase security. It's more like they are designed to keep you scared than actually keep you secured.

If someone made a movie in the early 90's about the shit they do now people will have joked about it and say they don't expect such Owelian things to ever really happen but here we are. People forget that many things happening starting from the US and spreading will be considered an over reaching imagination some years back. I mean wtf, knowing everything you do, say or write and they even approved of killing people without trials, that's some crazy shit out of stories we used to read about crazy fascist future societies.

Of course and I certainly agree it can and usually is a hassle to travel. Also, I'd add airport security can not ask nor force you to show the files on your laptop just in case one ever asks, customs on the other hand, can require it if entering the country. Most of these cases however do not represent the majority. The majority will not be fingerprinted, nor will the majority have to give access to their pc files. While everyone has to take their shoes off there is precedence for that.

Sometimes these things will of course happen and it's certainly frustrating, hell I've wished horrible things on many border guards, but I think this is being blown out of proportion. I would like to believe that security officials in majority of cases have received the proper training (specifically CBA) to be able to make the right judgement call majority of the time. However, understandable sometimes they will not, and will make mistakes that might be viewed as harassment, and it's these cases that will be remembered, rather than all the times one traveled without incident.

The particular article in my mind, displays a bad judgment call, but I think this topic in general is trying to portray this as far more common than it actually is, as if it is a norm.

Apr 10, 2012 2:36 PM

Jun 2008
rekindledflame said:
Monad said:
rekindledflame said:
allenkerky said:
Tachii said:
^ Of course you can.

Of course and I certainly agree it can and usually is a hassle to travel. Also, I'd add airport security can not ask nor force you to show the files on your laptop just in case one ever asks, customs on the other hand, can require it if entering the country. Most of these cases however do not represent the majority. The majority will not be fingerprinted, nor will the majority have to give access to their pc files. While everyone has to take their shoes off there is precedence for that.

Sometimes these things will of course happen and it's certainly frustrating, hell I've wished horrible things on many border guards, but I think this is being blown out of proportion. I would like to believe that security officials in majority of cases have received the proper training (specifically CBA) to be able to make the right judgement call majority of the time. However, understandable sometimes they will not, and will make mistakes that might be viewed as harassment, and it's these cases that will be remembered, rather than all the times one traveled without incident.

The particular article in my mind, displays a bad judgment call, but I think this topic in general is trying to portray this as far more common than it actually is, as if it is a norm.

Unfortunately what you would like to believe and what is the truth are two different things. It's not sometimes at all, thousands upon thousands of people who travel have stories of being treated like shit and if we put al kind of authorities then almost no human has escaped stupid shitty treatment. They lost the ball and they aren't even looking to find it.
Your words seem more like you had your head in the sand. If you are ever in a company of people that do a little traveling if you mention airport security almost all of them will have a small story that irritated the shit out of them and where some security asshole thought his the fucking cousin of Chuck Norris.
Apr 10, 2012 3:34 PM

Jul 2011
Monad said:

Unfortunately what you would like to believe and what is the truth are two different things. It's not sometimes at all, thousands upon thousands of people who travel have stories of being treated like shit and if we put al kind of authorities then almost no human has escaped stupid shitty treatment. They lost the ball and they aren't even looking to find it.
Your words seem more like you had your head in the sand. If you are ever in a company of people that do a little traveling if you mention airport security almost all of them will have a small story that irritated the shit out of them and where some security asshole thought his the fucking cousin of Chuck Norris.

Quite the contrary I do extensive traveling, both for vacation and I make a yearly trip each year to the Ukraine during the holidays, and as stated cross the Canadian border several times a week. So it's not a matter of my head being in the sand, and as I said I have had numerous occasions where I was irritated by CBA.

Thousands upon thousands means nothing to me, nor does it represent anything. Thousands upon thousands makes up what percent of people who travel yearly? Well, in 2011 there were 637 million passengers on airlines in the US alone. So even if we're talking 999,999 thousand a year, we're talking....the small percentage of travelers aka "sometimes". What constitutes shitty, obviously varies from person to person as well. Some people are affronted on the sole basis of having to take their shoes off, a relatively trivial matter. Others anytime their vehicle or possessions are searched, however there are precedence for this behavior.

Now on what I would like to believe, what you said is true, however the opposite is also true. You could believe they were not trained, however this is unlikely in the case of CBA which I specifically pointed out, as their training is similar to that of a police officer, in fact you could make parallels between the two occupations. The TSA is another matter, I am not familiar with how one is employed or the training they go through, but in any position you will always have those who abuse power in some regard, whether it be politicians, police, or security of any kind. Of course, I do not believe, based on my own personal experience that these types of people make up the majority (for TSA...not for politicians). Of course these people leave the most lasting impressions.

I'm certainly not saying traveling can not be frustrating, as it can be, and one may very well experience something that irritates them, but I still stand by my statement that we are representing something as the norm when it is in fact not.

Apr 10, 2012 5:58 PM

Feb 2010
Thank you Homeland Security for keeping this douchebag and his friends out of our country. We didn't want them here anyways. I mean seriously, whoever posts a pic like that deserves to have their passports revoked.
Apr 10, 2012 6:08 PM

Mar 2012
United States government going too far with something? Who would have thought!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.