Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 8, 2008 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
So, Spore released yesterday in NA and I snagged a copy at work. Have you picked it up? If so, how do you find it?

Personally, I am loving it. I'd consider putting it in my top 5 of all time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2008 6:13 PM

Aug 2008
I'm pretty neutral about it so far. I just started the tribal stage, so I'm not very far into it. I'm shocked that it hasn't really grasped my attention yet.
Sep 8, 2008 6:18 PM

Aug 2008
I've heard good things about this game, but haven't picked up a copy of it yet. Suppose I'll be waiting to see the rest of the 'reviews' if you will. I'm interested to see how the online sharing parts of it work.
Sep 8, 2008 6:29 PM

Jul 2007
This game is seriously awesome, I've been playing it almost non-stop. I'm not all that fond of the space stage so far, but that's probably because I haven't got far enough into it.
Sep 8, 2008 11:06 PM
Jun 2006
mediocre game at best, something to do when you dont want to be serious

cell/creature stages are somewhat decent, tribal and civilization are bad rts parts that bore the hell out of me.. since they are seriously easy and just consume time

The space age is where the fun begins though, it seems they have spent the most time there. Fun to fly around exploring and all that stuff, terraforming, diplomacy etc

6.5-7/10 for me

Sep 9, 2008 4:09 AM

Jul 2008
looks really interesting i want to check it out, the creature editor is awesome and 5 evolution also looks great. really a unique game.

Sep 9, 2008 4:24 AM

Jul 2008
Looks like they spread their focus too wide. Evolution looks great, but tribal and civilization mode look.. well... Hollow.
Sep 9, 2008 1:10 PM
Jun 2006
they are :> space is most flushed out tbh :>
Sep 9, 2008 1:36 PM

Aug 2007
creature stage was fun... the rest is so easy, maybe except space but I haven't completed that yet.

And I am playing on hard
Sep 9, 2008 2:58 PM

Mar 2008
Just came to civilasation stage :)
Sep 9, 2008 6:25 PM

Jul 2008
I just hit the creature stage, but I'm not fully impressed yet. The space age though looks very promising.
Sep 9, 2008 9:43 PM

May 2008
Such an evilly addicting game! XD I've been playing non-stop for the past few days.
Sep 9, 2008 11:04 PM

Dec 2007
I've only just started playing the outer space part, I'm in awe of just how massive they made the universe that you can explore.

#NBHNC
Sep 14, 2008 12:12 AM

May 2006
I've been playing this game non-stop for days and I love it! Some parts of the game are kind of dull (tribal), but as a whole it's really a great game. The issues with all the DRM stuff is annoying, but hopefully soon the publishers will realize that they're losing customers and fix the problem.

Sep 14, 2008 2:50 AM
Sep 2008
I gotta get this game. Definitely.
Sep 14, 2008 2:58 AM

Feb 2005
The space age is epic. Got sandwiched by two annoying and violent civilizations (That I had designed myself, oh the hamartia!) right from the start, but once I got some upgraded lazors and rokkits, I made sure to wipe them off of the face of the universe. Genocide has never been so charming :D
Sep 14, 2008 8:36 AM

May 2006
Baman said:
The space age is epic. Got sandwiched by two annoying and violent civilizations (That I had designed myself, oh the hamartia!) right from the start, but once I got some upgraded lazors and rokkits, I made sure to wipe them off of the face of the universe. Genocide has never been so charming :D

Yeah, I was stuck next to a couple civilizations that just loves starting wars with me. But now I have such good weapons that I just wiped them all out, so now no one dares mess with me! Well, except the Grox.. or pirates...

Also, everyone should join this club to further talk about Spore. Maybe we could post each other's creations or something like that: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=2644

Sep 15, 2008 1:18 AM

Mar 2007
LOL AWEWSOMEASDLKAJSD:AKSD;j >_<

Spore has taken over my 2008!! I need more ppl to be buddies with! [/joins spore club]

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Sep 15, 2008 5:39 AM

Jul 2008
I'm loving Spore. It is too much fun. I just enjoy extinguishing other species a little bit too much.
Sep 15, 2008 10:53 AM

Mar 2008
I didnt think this game was that funny, I havnt played it that much thou, and considering everyone saying its sooo addicting - something tells me that I shouldnt play much more then ^^
Sep 15, 2008 11:02 AM

Aug 2008
I really wanna get this game for PC but I doubt my laptop would be able to handle it.. I only have the DS version, which is okayish
Sep 15, 2008 1:31 PM

Apr 2008
It was fun at first, but it just got kinda uninteresting and boring after a couple of hours.
And if a game gets boring after just a couple of hours, then it's not a good game.

Definitly not as good as the sims, but an interesting idea.
I'M NOT A RETARRRD!! I'm malfunctioning!!!
And Keep On Breaking Reality!
Sep 16, 2008 7:08 AM
Jun 2006
Pewdie said:
I didnt think this game was that funny, I havnt played it that much thou, and considering everyone saying its sooo addicting - something tells me that I shouldnt play much more then ^^

you will get tired pretty fast so its np to play :>
Sep 16, 2008 7:41 AM
Sep 2008
I havn't played it, but I do like the look of it and I downloaded the demo on my DS and had fun making a little creature (called Yoshi ^_^)

I want Viva Pinata first though because I've wanted it for ages.
Sep 16, 2008 7:56 AM

Feb 2008
The beginning of the game was great. I think the space stage grinding is where most people start to have problems with this make. I'm not too fond of that part either.
Sep 16, 2008 8:16 AM
Jun 2006
at least you can do stuff in space, civilization and tribal stages are the most boring imo
Sep 16, 2008 11:47 AM

Feb 2005
Well, I dont even want to think about how to break the Grox siege around the core. Running through the blockade seems hopeless, so you'll probably have to conquer your way through, and that's gotta be painful business...
Sep 16, 2008 12:38 PM

Aug 2008
Am getting it next paycheck
Sep 16, 2008 1:10 PM

Feb 2008
I want it so bad. I should just go and buy it. >.<
Sep 16, 2008 1:33 PM

Mar 2008
izikiel said:
Pewdie said:

you will get tired pretty fast so its np to play :>

hehe, thats good =) or maybe Ive already grown tired of it? :P
Sep 18, 2008 5:50 AM
Aug 2008
The creature stage is honestly pretty impressive.

The space age is really annoying.

I've played a lot of 4X and empire-administration games. Spore's space phase is a bad 4X game. The tribal and civ stages are lame but mercifully short.

The first 12 hours with the game, I thought it was pretty intense. However, I doubt I'm going to be able to maintain interest long enough to push through it.

Hey, at least it made me stop watching anime for a day or two.
Sep 18, 2008 6:02 AM

Jul 2008
Well been playing it for about a week now. I also found the creature stage great... I don't think the tribal or civilization stages are meant to be taken seriously at all, so I'm not going to judge them.

The space stage, so far, is frustrating the crap out of me. Too much backwards and forwards, doing frustrating courier missions to make money so I can balance and colonize one planet, rinse and repeat.

It's like Eve... Faster, but much less interesting.
Sep 18, 2008 7:46 AM

Feb 2005
Well, having to personally defend every single enemy or pirate incursion gets frustrating pretty fast. That certainly needs some fixing.
Sep 18, 2008 8:46 AM
Jan 2008
Baman said:
Well, having to personally defend every single enemy or pirate incursion gets frustrating pretty fast. That certainly needs some fixing.

Can be fixed.
Sep 18, 2008 8:58 AM

Feb 2005
Golden!
Sep 18, 2008 9:02 AM

Aug 2008
seasaw said:
Baman said:

Can be fixed.

I definitely agree that the frequency (and annoyance) of such attacks is excessive. I want to explore just a LITTLE please, before the warmongers come knocking on my doors every two minutes to steal my colonies. It's hard to get away long enough even for a counterattack.

The fixes I think you're referring to are mods made by independent players (and sometimes only work for new games and can't be removed?) The point is, a game shouldn't need to be modded by a third party to enjoy it.. it should be modded for EXTRA enjoyment.
Sep 18, 2008 10:51 AM

Feb 2005
Fortunately, Spore's just recently been released, so there still is a lot of time for them to tweak it, and I for one, want expansions. More space content. Better Fleet options. Space Stations. Stellar Lifting Plants. Dyson Spheres.
But I'm not counting on getting all that. Besides, this is EA we're talking about...
Sep 18, 2008 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
Hacksaw said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/218-Spore

Yahtzee, ew.
Sep 18, 2008 12:26 PM

Jul 2008
I'm currently enjoying every stage of evolution., Working towards getting to the center of the galaxy right now. ^_^
Sep 18, 2008 12:32 PM

Jul 2008
Rippou said:
Hacksaw said:

Yahtzee, ew.

You just do not want to admit he is right.
Sep 18, 2008 7:37 PM

Jul 2008
Hacksaw said:

Pretty much.
Sep 18, 2008 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Hacksaw said:
Rippou said:
Hacksaw said:

Yahtzee, ew.

He's always been bad.
Sep 18, 2008 9:46 PM

Jul 2008
Rippou said:
Hacksaw said:
Rippou said:
Hacksaw said:

Yahtzee, ew.

He's always been bad.

Not going to argue about your opinion but, he is correct. Spore had a lot of potential and did not use it.
Sep 18, 2008 9:47 PM
Aug 2008
Hacksaw said:
Rippou said:
Hacksaw said:

Yahtzee, ew.

Short answer, he's not right about everything.

Long answer:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

On a more serious note, here's my list of complaints:

1-Unlike Master of Orion, there is no way to look at convenient ledgers.

2-Unlike Victoria, the numerous interruptions cannot be readily classified and ordered. Victoria has special interruption messages for hundreds of different kinds of events, but if you right-click on any of them, you can tell the game to stop bothering you with that kind of event, and it *will*.

3-Bizarrely, there is no way for a galaxy-spanning civilization to produce more than one ship. To cruise with a fleet, one must have alien allies.

4- Similarly, one cannot have multiple fleets, or even stationary defense satellites; if pirates show up and raid, one must take one's only fleet across the galaxy to deal with a crisis, not knowing if it is large or small. (This gameplay is not unlike The Sims 2, in which the game often injects drama by forcing Sims to run across the room to answer phones, greet headmasters, etc.)

5-One must earn the badges to unlock necessary equipment -- fine, that's not unlike researching techs in most games. However, once the tech has been earned, one can't produce it at will -- one must wander aimlessly around civilized space, hoping to find a friendly planet that will have an item in stock. If one is buying missiles, one might get ten at a time -- but if one is buying colonization packs, there is usually only one available for sale. Thus if one wants to colonize ten planets in a row, one has to do a lot of wandering, which is likely to take a long time and involve a lot of delays. Build queues solve this problem for most games.

6-The economic element has multiple commodities, but they are just meaningless numbers. (By contrast, many management games have meaningful relationships between commodities and upgrades.)

7-One would hope for multiple save slots within a single campaign. Obviously save files can get big --- but one can have several games, one simply cannot go back and re-do mistaken courses of action. (This is not unlike The Sims 2, in which one can have various neighborhoods, but one cannot save one's campaign progress.)

Anyone who likes the administrative/organizational/management side of gaming might consider playing Victoria or its upgrade, Victoria:Revolutions. Those games have commodities and production as an important aspect of gameplay.

Also, network-building games like Railroad Tycoon 3 are a worthwhile source of fun for many gamers who would like to run a business empire but who lack millions of dollars in real-world capital.

More generally, games like Master of Orion 2 and Spaceward Ho! are classics of 4X in space. Apparently Spore was trying to replicate a very influential comedy game called Star Control 2.

The graphics of Spore in space aren't that big an advance over games like Ascendancy, which came out about fifteen years ago and also offered a 3-D galaxy, customizable spaceships, cool ambient music, etc.

Can you tell I have an unhealthy dependency on 4X games? Clearly I need to get back to healthier habits like anime addiction...
formosanSep 18, 2008 9:51 PM
Sep 18, 2008 9:51 PM
Jul 2018
Hacksaw said:
Rippou said:
Hacksaw said:
Rippou said:
Hacksaw said:

Yahtzee, ew.

He's always been bad.

Not going to argue about your opinion but, he is correct. Spore had a lot of potential and did not use it.

Yahtzee does everything out of satire and it was hard to even think Spore would live up to everything it could have.

Great game, couldn't care less if some dude in Australia didn't like it.
Sep 19, 2008 11:09 AM

Sep 2008
I downloaded the trail version of the creature creator... Damn, I plan on buying this really soon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2008 9:54 PM

Jul 2008
I made a pedobear army!!!

Sep 24, 2008 8:34 AM

Jul 2008
just started playing today, am now in stage 3, they are a little short in my opinion. think the space thing is longer.

Sep 24, 2008 4:35 PM

May 2006
Ignit said:
just started playing today, am now in stage 3, they are a little short in my opinion. think the space thing is longer.

Yeah, the space stage is way larger than even all the previous stages combined.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Yesterday

2 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
2 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Yesterday

18 by FanofAction »»
2 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

46 by Firwik_Howlo »»
3 hours ago

» favorite pokemon ( 1 2 )

Fang_Tooth - Jan 21, 2023

55 by Firwik_Howlo »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.