Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2012 9:13 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Maya is captured by the bad guys.

Sam goes after them, but Mimei keeps him from getting into trouble.

Bainas decided to go after bad guys to get Maya back.

Sub to sub battle follows.

Apr 7, 2012 9:17 AM

Oct 2011
very good action episode
sub to sub fight was well made and thought of... not just some let's blast everything around
I like this part plus confrontation of characters

ok maybe raming part wasn't the best but it worked just fine

also young Captain - she was cute, ok she still is but in more deadly way (which is ongoing praise for character design here)
Apr 7, 2012 9:35 AM
Jan 2011
Awesome
Apr 7, 2012 12:50 PM

Jan 2010
Good thing there's only 2 more episodes. I doubt I could take a full 13 episodes of this crap.
Apr 7, 2012 1:02 PM

Nov 2010
That was some great battle of the "Sand Marines"
Apr 7, 2012 1:33 PM

Aug 2010
holypoop said:
Good thing there's only 2 more episodes. I doubt I could take a full 13 episodes of this crap.
Apr 7, 2012 5:24 PM

May 2011
Incoming missiles... dodge. More missiles... more dodging. Missiles again... dodge again. >.<
Apr 7, 2012 6:02 PM

Jan 2011
I think I know why that one character is wearing a mask.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 7, 2012 7:55 PM

Mar 2009
rodac said:

I found myself suspecting the same thing as well.
Apr 7, 2012 8:21 PM
Jun 2009
holypoop said:

You gave Black Rock Shooter TV a 7. You don't deserve an opinion.
Apr 7, 2012 11:19 PM

Jan 2008
This show is dull and the last two eps are unlikely to make it any better. These sand battles are hardly exciting. The only thing which came out really good are chara designs. Rest is meh.

And yea, Char is probably

They should've just made a tv special of about 1.30h in length.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 8, 2012 1:58 PM

Oct 2011
this was better than the last episode... and seriously is it ozuma or ozma!?
Apr 8, 2012 7:29 PM

Feb 2012
rodac said:
I thought the same thing.

I liked the directing of the sub to sub battle, they implemented a nifty strategy to win that little encounter. The characters could be stronger though, I care more for the Captain and the Masked Man than anyone else.
Apr 9, 2012 7:05 AM
Dec 2007
And the former lovers meet on top of their ships. Nice cliffhanger.

The first part was a bit dull but the second one was the best battle scene of the year for now (well, I haven't seen Fate/Zero's first episode yet). Ozma never shines brighter than during battle and exposition scenes.

Homolust said:
holypoop said:

You're joking right ?

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 9, 2012 10:08 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Jacut said:
The first part was a bit dull but the second one was the best battle scene of the year for now (well, I haven't seen Fate/Zero's first episode yet).

You'll change your mind quickly enough ;)

I thought the sub battle was fine, though I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that it occurred deep in the sand - I have no frame of reference for this "QTP" field or whatever they call it to have an appreciation for what can and can't be done in that sort of environment. I was, however, a little started that the one ramming the other was able to bring the fight to an end the way it did.
Apr 9, 2012 1:29 PM

Jan 2012
These sand submarine battles are epic! Just because of them I like this show. Story's not bad either.

10/10

Apr 9, 2012 2:43 PM

Oct 2007
Cratex said:
Jacut said:
The first part was a bit dull but the second one was the best battle scene of the year for now (well, I haven't seen Fate/Zero's first episode yet).

You'll change your mind quickly enough ;)
Not sure if you are talking about quality of animation or the tactic. FateZero has a superior animation but the battle itself is pretty dull.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 9, 2012 3:34 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Siva said:
Not sure if you are talking about quality of animation or the tactic. FateZero has a superior animation but the battle itself is pretty dull.
If you mean regarding tactics, yes, the Fate/Zero battle had little, if any, while the Ozma sub battle was fairly good in that regard. I thought the sub battle was fine - I didn't dislike it, but for pure visual entertainment I liked the Fate/Zero battle much more. Possibly, that I understand the Fate/Zero characters and their motivations better, and that I REALLY wanted to see one particular character get killed, might have had something to do with it. But, also, because I had checked that Jacut was already a big fan of Fate/Zero and probably would like the episode very much as well.
CratexApr 9, 2012 3:38 PM
Apr 9, 2012 4:32 PM

Oct 2007
I am not a big fan of flashy animation with brainless battle. I am not saying they are bad but for me, I am more toward a tactical battle. Seeing a battle about "I have a bigger gun than you!" will only last for about one second in my brain for its greatness but seeing a great and well crafted tactical battle will last me for as long as I could remember it.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 9, 2012 4:52 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Siva said:
I am not a big fan of flashy animation with brainless battle. I am not saying they are bad but for me, I am more toward a tactical battle. Seeing a battle about "I have a bigger gun than you!" will only last for about one second in my brain for its greatness but seeing a great and well crafted tactical battle will last me for as long as I could remember it.

I'm usually that way also, but if I have to pick between Ozma and Fate/Zero, which I think we were talking about, I have to pick the later for the reasons I stated. I've got more investment in the Fate/Zero characters.
Apr 9, 2012 10:26 PM
Jun 2011
rodac said:

Glad to see a bunch of us are on the same page here.
But why is he working with Thesus?
I go by many names, some call me Hoshimaru, others call me Jiro or Aosou-Kun.
I believe myself a force for good, a papercrafter by trade, and one who seeks love and beauty animesque.

I am the host of the youtube show Who Would You Do?
Apr 9, 2012 11:14 PM
Apr 2011
That is a good question.

On the on other hand...

Siva said:

Yeah, I didn't find the submarine battle that enjoyable and I found myself skipping much of the latter part of the episode.
Apr 10, 2012 4:24 AM

Sep 2008
Ozma reminds me of the Hyperdrive core from Homeworld
entauri.deviantart.com

Apr 10, 2012 1:45 PM

Apr 2009
Well that was a nice battle. As I've been wondering earlier, they do have acoustic decoys or noisemakers as well.

I think the ramming only worked because they have the Monokeros at the bow, it might have neutralized the QTF as intended.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 11, 2012 6:26 AM

Apr 2010
How is this so damn terrible...
Apr 11, 2012 11:19 AM

Dec 2009
Nice battle of the wits between the Captain and the masked guy.

Truly enjoyable episode, best one yet.

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 11, 2012 1:32 PM

Jul 2008
Three episodes later, this is still the worst anime of the year. Very disappointing. I can't remember any of the characters. Not a single one has any development really. The story... yeah I'm not even going to touch that. There are moments throughout, like any other show. Even a terrible anime can have good scenes, animation, etc... The problem is none of it is capitalizing on the potential offered by the setting.

Instead we get these uneventful episodes full of bland and forgettable characters with a lack of history or any relevance beyond the vague allusions to a culture and society affected by gradual environmental degradation (an issue we know all too well). The story doesn't really bring anything new to the table. In which case, we turn to the execution.

My hopes upon realizing the heavy focus on submarine warfare was that the director and writer would be able to capture the natural intensity involved in undersea combat. Unfortunately, they have proven inept at that as well. Only so much can be blamed on them though. With as much problems as this story has, it brings into question the material they're basing this on. Maybe an adaptation in the strictest sense wasn't necessarily a good idea.

Then again, I couldn't say for sure as I have no idea how closely they followed Matsumoto Leiji's original draft, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out something went wrong in the process.
Apr 11, 2012 8:46 PM

Feb 2010
meh.

not terrible, but I thought this was the weakest episode yet.
Apr 12, 2012 3:31 AM

Dec 2009
Kickass sub to sub action. I'm siding with that cool Harlock looking antagonist only because he looks like Harlock. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Apr 12, 2012 11:22 AM
Sep 2009
I loved the undersea sound effects despite that they are under the sand.
Apr 13, 2012 5:40 PM

Sep 2011
This episode was pretty lame aswell but at least this time I had a fucking clue what was going on during the battle.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
May 6, 2012 1:18 AM
May 2007
jDranzer said:
I loved the undersea sound effects despite that they are under the sand.

Yeah, I noticed that sound too. Loved it! Also somewhere in previous episode just when Ozma appeared sand turned into water and rainbow was formed. I loved that actually that's might be a possible way to get their water supply.

Sinking the Bardanos then ramming the enemy submarine, best tactic ever. And honestly, most of above comments prove nothing only how people are too lazy when it comes to using their brains.
May 11, 2012 8:46 AM

Jan 2010
1-2 ep. - bad
3 ep.- wow...good.
4 ep. - this anime disappoint me :(

still nothing special...
Jul 12, 2012 3:48 PM

Jun 2008
Awesome submarine battle. It was a nice episode. Only the main kind of annoyed me with his stupidity of going alone to save her.
Jul 21, 2012 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
yawn
Amazing setting, but the series itself it's kinda boring
Aug 17, 2012 1:45 PM

Jul 2009
Months later ... thought this was a very good episode :P
So Sam's older brother Dick tried to do the same thing as him ... enemy has captured Maya.
Thought that the battle was very interesting. Bainas is awesome XD
Noticed the BGM was really good this episode. Also forgot how much I liked the OP XD
Next episode is called the masked man ... so more about the masked guy whose name I've forgotten, perhaps?
Nov 22, 2015 3:29 PM

May 2012
Another great episode! Let's see what will happen next!
May 15, 2019 8:10 AM

Jul 2016
Much better and more enjoyable than the last episode
May 15, 2019 8:10 AM

Jul 2016
Overall a 4/5 I would say
May 24, 2019 8:24 AM

Jul 2008
That was a solid fight, but now the Gido reveal is coming.
Jul 26, 2023 8:29 PM

Jun 2014
Gido isn't dumb, but Bainas is always one step ahead.

A confrontation is taking place. What will happen?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ozuma Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2012

62 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Jul 26, 2023 9:28 PM

Poll: » Ozuma Episode 5 Discussion

kashim - Apr 14, 2012

34 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Jul 26, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Ozuma Episode 3 Discussion

Eudaimonia - Mar 31, 2012

27 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Jul 26, 2023 8:00 PM

Poll: » Ozuma Episode 2 Discussion

DarthVantos - Mar 24, 2012

49 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Jul 26, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Ozuma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kashim - Mar 16, 2012

73 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Jul 26, 2023 7:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.