Forum Settings
Forums

Aniplex of America Acquires Bakemonogatari

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
 
Apr 6, 2012 7:43 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 599
finally someone actually got it...hoping for a dub
 
Apr 6, 2012 7:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1599
figured there wouldve been this kind of news from the booths they put up. will probably buy <3
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

 
Apr 6, 2012 8:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 2622
10 bucks says it's going to be somewhere around $600 dollars.


 
Apr 6, 2012 8:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 11558
I can't see how this will work out. If its given an english dub.

A lot of the humor in the show seems to be a play on japanese things mostly wordplay with the japanese language.

I can't see how they can attempt that in english and make it even remotely good.
 
Apr 6, 2012 8:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 134
lmao if it is dubbed, is it even possible to dub this without butchering it?
 
Apr 6, 2012 8:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2458
No dub, no buy.
 
Apr 6, 2012 8:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2716
Surugaholic said:
I can't see how this will work out. If its given an english dub.

A lot of the humor in the show seems to be a play on japanese things mostly wordplay with the japanese language.

I can't see how they can attempt that in english and make it even remotely good.
Agreed.

Maybe they'll try and put english spins on it? Though that would be incredibly hard to do O.o
 
Apr 6, 2012 8:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 31
Anyone who wants this dubbed realize that on top of the hefty price tag that Shaft probably sold the license for it's gonna be even more money to dub it. (And WTF, with a seiyuu cast of Chiwa Saito, Hanazawa Kana, Sawashiro Miyuki, Horie Yui, Kato Emiri you'd have to be insane to listen to any other language track....but that's just my opinion lol)

Honestly I don't think this was worth being licensed, whether they dub it or not a lot of it is going to be lost in translation AND it's basically a super-artsy high horse show with fanservice that will only appeal to the niche fans that like, paused every frame of the airing version stills and watched it both on air and BD. Basically those are the only people who will buy it too (I'm sadly one of those people lol). I don't know about anyone else but I'll probably buy it no matter what the price tag but I'm the type of fan who is buying Madoka, and importing JP Special Edition BDs, the kind of fan who just kinda spends a lot of money on stuff. Most people will not bother. Subs are one thing (I don't know how they'll sub this either...) but they'd have to like, rewrite the script to dub this lol.
 
Apr 6, 2012 9:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 229
Surugaholic said:
I can't see how this will work out. If its given an english dub.

A lot of the humor in the show seems to be a play on japanese things mostly wordplay with the japanese language.

I can't see how they can attempt that in english and make it even remotely good.

That being said, I'm interested how the dub will turn out. If there is one.
 
Apr 6, 2012 9:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 463
Silly people that think this is going to be dubbed. That's just a bad idea all around.
 
Apr 6, 2012 9:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 65
While I am glad that it finally got licensed, I do find myself wondering just how a hypothetical English dub for this series would actually work and just how much Aniplex will charge for it. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.
 
Apr 6, 2012 9:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 31
Oh and for reference they are releasing Madoka too, dubbing it (ffffffffff me having to pay for their spending on that) and it's being sold at about $80 a pop for the LE BDs with 4 episodes each and of course I'm buying all the LEs... ($40 per 4-episode standard BD).

I PRAY that they don't even consider dubbing it, like I said only niche fans will buy this title anyway, they should save themselves (and me) some money and time...and awkwardness. Episode 1:

Hitagi: "I'm just being SUN DAY RAY" (English on English subtitles display random TL notes regarding Tsundere)
Koyomi: "More like...er crap, that doesn't rhyme in English. Sorry Nisio Isin."

Or better yet. Translators table:

TL1: Hey guys, I can't find any way to make sense of this joke in English.
TL2: It's okay dude, just make something up like they do in fandubs to go along with what they're doing.
TL1: Alrighty. Hitagi says, "this breeze is cold" Koyomi says, "not as 'cold' as you. AW YEAH I'M SO GOOD.

I apologize for trolling. lol.
Modified by HadenaZubon, Apr 6, 2012 9:21 PM
 
Apr 6, 2012 9:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Soo Stoked!! I cant wait to see the cast
 
Apr 6, 2012 10:06 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 283
I don't think this release will be that great, if only because official licensing companies have shown time and time again they wont put the kind of effort into on-screen text translations and preserving cultural jokes that fansubbers do.
 
Apr 6, 2012 10:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4602
nx6 said:
I don't think this release will be that great, if only because official licensing companies have shown time and time again they wont put the kind of effort into on-screen text translations and preserving cultural jokes that fansubbers do.

The official release of Pani Poni Dash (also by Shaft) has all of the on-screen text translated (and there is a ton of it). I dunno if Aniplex makes the same effort with their releases as ADV/Funimation though.
 
Apr 6, 2012 10:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 643
About damn time.

Please be dubbed.

Oh please pleaseeee be dubbed.

Please have Cristina Vee, too.

As Hitagi, if at all possible.
 
Apr 6, 2012 11:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2360
choyos said:
I wonder if they are even going to bother with all the Typography on the very quick random frames O_o

probably not, all of it was too fast paced anyway, and the jokes reference might have to be changed


 
Apr 6, 2012 11:19 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1010
I've been waiting for this one for over a year now...
Really interested to see the cast, should they decide to dub it (fingers crossed).
 
Apr 6, 2012 11:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1681
I'm very excited hearing this. But please, Aniplex, don't exaggerate the price tag like with Type-Moon releases.
 
Apr 6, 2012 11:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5851
Wow can't wait to buy this at no more than $399.99. =/
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"
 
Apr 7, 2012 12:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 10120
So glad it finally got licensed! I hope they'll dub it.
Since it's at least 15 episodes, I'm gonna predict that they'll release it on 3 DVD/Blu-ray set with 5 episodes each or 5 DVD/Blu-ray set with 3 episodes each. Hopefully, the less volume release, the better.
(I still don't get why Aniplex decided to release 4 volumes of Blue Exorcist when Durarara has nearly the same amount of episodes when it has 3 volumes out)

The pricing, most likely the same as Durarara and Madoka. Obviously.
Modified by animelly, Apr 7, 2012 12:52 AM
 
Apr 7, 2012 3:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
They better not do english dubs it would ruin all the great dialogue that this series offers. Actually i'm not really that excited for this release at all Bakemonogatari has been out for years in japan and only now is it coming out and we all know Aniplex is gonna have some type of maniacal marketing plan for this series. All I can say is expect a lot of garbage that they are going to do to this great series, and i'm hoping that i'm wrong.
 
Apr 7, 2012 4:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 289
I got a blank check ready for Aniplex. I just really fucking hope they release it on Blu-ray.
 
Apr 7, 2012 5:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2256
I thought this already happened forever ago
 
Apr 7, 2012 7:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 643
If you don't want a dub then don't watch the dub lol derp

I want a dub.
 
Apr 7, 2012 11:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3335
That took a while
 
Apr 7, 2012 12:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
HatenaZubon said:
Oh and for reference they are releasing Madoka too, dubbing it (ffffffffff me having to pay for their spending on that) and it's being sold at about $80 a pop for the LE BDs with 4 episodes each and of course I'm buying all the LEs... ($40 per 4-episode standard BD).

I PRAY that they don't even consider dubbing it, like I said only niche fans will buy this title anyway, they should save themselves (and me) some money and time...and awkwardness. Episode 1:

Hitagi: "I'm just being SUN DAY RAY" (English on English subtitles display random TL notes regarding Tsundere)
Koyomi: "More like...er crap, that doesn't rhyme in English. Sorry Nisio Isin."

Or better yet. Translators table:

TL1: Hey guys, I can't find any way to make sense of this joke in English.
TL2: It's okay dude, just make something up like they do in fandubs to go along with what they're doing.
TL1: Alrighty. Hitagi says, "this breeze is cold" Koyomi says, "not as 'cold' as you. AW YEAH I'M SO GOOD.

I apologize for trolling. lol.


i found this funny , +1
I dislike liars
<img src="http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/Matt_Alvarez/Araragikunlied-2-1-1.png" />
 
Apr 7, 2012 2:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3077
Hopefully that means this series will be dubbed.
 
Apr 7, 2012 5:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3312
Yes about fucking time. I don't care how much it cost. I want this show cuz it that super great for me.
 
Apr 7, 2012 6:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 31
FlashFumo said:
If you don't want a dub then don't watch the dub lol derp

I want a dub.


Again problem with this line of thinking is that dubbing will really drive up the COST and the PRICE of this title. Like a previous poster said, this is Shaft's baby and I'm sure Aniplex of America has:

a) marketing plan to try to hardcore-sell this title because they paid a ton for it
b) a plan to release Madoka-style special edition releases
c) Print all individual, and series releases on blu-ray

Coupled with that the cost of studio recording, paying voice actors and writing a completely new dub script (basically, I cannot imagine it being possible that the dub script would be the same as the sub script because Aniplex is usually pretty good at preserving the originality of the title...) may result in a price hike. That price hike might be riskily exorbitant depending on if their marketing dept expects to break even or lose money on the title (and no one buys a license if they expect to LOSE money lol).

I've said this for like every single show out there actually. I mean dub fans I see as those that grew up with Toonami and didn't really care too much for *Japan*, just the appeal of the animated medium so I can respect that to an extent. Some may also just not want to read subtitles or learn Japanese *shrug* Considering most companies' cost and selling strategies we're lucky on one end to get the box sets we do, but on the other hand we get robbed of all the "good stuff". Nothing extra, cheap packaging, like "fast food" anime (I think there's even a store chain called this lol). Companies bring titles over and spend the extra $ to dub a series, and we lose out on what could have been an artbox, poster or character CD (less likely). I don't work in the industry and don't know the cost breakdown but in general I have a fair knowledge of costs and how business works so that's the dilemma of the anime fan here. I'm sure even dub fans want the best of both worlds and would love better releases but a lot of them don't want to spend that much more on a title (a lot of fans in America in general).

If I worked for Animplex of America, my dilemma would be this: I know for a fact that due to the age of this title, most people that already watch a fair amount of anime have exposure to this series.

-How many of those fans will actually BUY the title on Blu-Ray/hybrid release?
-What do already existent fans of the series desire most from a release? (Goods, SEs, a dub)
-How do we attract casual fans of anime who have very limited to no exposure to the series?
-Who is our target market based on the answers to the above questions, casual fans or fans who already are familiar with the series? (This will determine the release type, existence of a dub, and price...)

Madoka for instance clearly had its online popularity going for it and their releases seem to suggest they are indeed targeting fans with exposure to the series (because no casual will buy even a non-SE single DVD with 4 eps for $30...they'll wait for the thinpack "fast food" release).
Modified by HadenaZubon, Apr 7, 2012 6:33 PM
 
Apr 8, 2012 12:28 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1010
^Whatever the outcome, I get the vague feeling this is a sort of marketing experiment for them, before they decide whether they can risk taking on the remaining monogatari series... though, just based on the fact that they've taken this long to acquire it, I honestly doubt they'll be targeting the casual viewer.
 
Apr 8, 2012 2:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2572
I guess all the "I love this show, but no dub, no buy" crowd don't love the show enough to think the Japanese voice acting, story, character designs, music, or animation (what little there is of it anyway) are worth anything.
While everything is blooming, you know the wilting always waits... to steal away your body, to steal away your brain.
 
Apr 8, 2012 3:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5851
Zalis said:
I guess all the "I love this show, but no dub, no buy" crowd don't love the show enough to think the Japanese voice acting, story, character designs, music, or animation (what little there is of it anyway) are worth anything.


Actually people are just wishing for a dub no one in here didn't say they were not going to buy it if it didn't get one. The only thing that will drive most away is Aniplex's insane price tag.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"
 
Apr 9, 2012 2:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 11
very good. i would like my acquaintances who are too lazy to know what they're missing to watch the dubbed version.
"zdogagagagagaj uppashaaan!!"
"zdododuckshdokkaaaan!!"
"Our cleaning thus caused a huge catastrophe that collapsed the Earth and wiped out mankind..."
Chapter 1 End.
 
Apr 17, 2012 9:37 PM
 
Jun 2, 2012 11:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 107
Well Aniplex has detailed its Bakemonogatari release.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-05-26/aniplex-usa-confirms-blu-ray-disc-release-for-bakemonogatari-tv-anime

Here are the details.

1: It will be released on Blu-Ray and only Blu-Ray.

2: There is no plan to dub it.

3: It will be released in the fall.

Also the way the article was written made it seem like it would be released as a season box set.

EDIT: Knowing Aniplex the box set (If it is a box set.) would cost at least $100.
Modified by nothing956, Jun 2, 2012 11:40 PM
 
Jun 6, 2012 1:42 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 283
nothing956 said:

EDIT: Knowing Aniplex the box set (If it is a box set.) would cost at least $100.


It says right in the article you linked it's going to be an official import of the JDM boxset, so I think you need to triple that estimate at least.
 
Jun 6, 2012 2:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 107
nx6 said:
nothing956 said:

EDIT: Knowing Aniplex the box set (If it is a box set.) would cost at least $100.


It says right in the article you linked it's going to be an official import of the JDM boxset, so I think you need to triple that estimate at least.


"The boxset will NOT be an import of the Japanese Blu-ray Disc boxset."

Please go back and reread the article more closely.
 
Jun 6, 2012 6:25 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 283
nothing956 said:

"The boxset will NOT be an import of the Japanese Blu-ray Disc boxset."

Please go back and reread the article more closely.

Ah, you're right.

Damn adverbs.
 
 
Nov 26, 2012 9:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 6069
It's out now but they won't friggin' ship overseas so unless you're in the US or Canada you're toast. All to prevent reverse import to Japan were the otaku pays over 400 bucks for the japanese version.

And then they dare ask why there's fansubs?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands."
 
Apr 30, 2013 5:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
When will the anime be dubbed?
 
Apr 30, 2013 5:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 7491
xstationo said:
When will the anime be dubbed?

I don't think it will. But dude, this thread is old. Why not make a thread asking about dubbing instead?
Anyways, the fact that Aniplex aquired it along with the way the show has its dialogue makes this show unlikely to ever get a dub I think. It'd probably sound weird if it were exactly translated, and this show needs an exact translation in order to be dubbed I think.

 
May 1, 2013 5:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2420
Another anime gets butchered.
 
May 1, 2013 6:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24157
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Another anime gets butchered.

It is not gonna get dubbed but yea they will butcher it if that happens.
 
May 1, 2013 7:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2420
tsudecimo said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Another anime gets butchered.

It is not gonna get dubbed but yea they will butcher it if that happens.


Only hope that's right on. I would vomit if they did dub it and made it sound like 40+ year olds again.
 
May 1, 2013 10:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 7491
Koromo_Toshinou said:
tsudecimo said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Another anime gets butchered.

It is not gonna get dubbed but yea they will butcher it if that happens.


Only hope that's right on. I would vomit if they did dub it and made it sound like 40+ year olds again.

Aniplex seems to do quite a few sub only releases. Also this is old news. I figure if they wanted to dub it they would have done so by now.
It wouldn't ruin the anime though.
The anime would still exist subbed, and, if like most American anime releases, be released both subbed and dubbed.
Aniplex did ruin this anime's release though. It costs like 150 dollars to buy in America, which is extremely overpriced for American releases for anime. Especially since it was released Bluray only.

 
May 1, 2013 12:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2420
Battlechili1 said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
tsudecimo said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Another anime gets butchered.

It is not gonna get dubbed but yea they will butcher it if that happens.


Only hope that's right on. I would vomit if they did dub it and made it sound like 40+ year olds again.

Aniplex seems to do quite a few sub only releases. Also this is old news. I figure if they wanted to dub it they would have done so by now.
It wouldn't ruin the anime though.
The anime would still exist subbed, and, if like most American anime releases, be released both subbed and dubbed.
Aniplex did ruin this anime's release though. It costs like 150 dollars to buy in America, which is extremely overpriced for American releases for anime. Especially since it was released Bluray only.


Interesting... I'm not interested in buying, though I can only imagine how crazy that seems |:
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]