Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2012 1:30 AM

Mar 2012
What is your guys opinions? Would be interested to get explanations as to why you prefer one decade over the other.

70s
80s
90s
2000s
Today's Anime

This is a very interesting topic because anime has changed so much over time. I will give my vote to the 90s. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but look at the 90s classics and compare to them to todays. Visually, it is really sad for me to look at many of today's Anime. I mean the art style has changed so much. How did Cowboy Bebop turn into little girls with huge eyes, ultra bright colors, and all this nonsense?

Actually, I came up with this interesting comparison for the gamers out there. Top 90s Anime is to Xenogears as top modern anime is to Persona 3/4. NIS games would represent the range of mediocre games that appeal to a very narrow audience with a few decent titles, which is what I feel so much of modern anime is.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 5, 2012 1:33 AM

Mar 2012
2000-today, i guess. Idk, Death Note was made in 2007, Darker than Black even earlier. Both were epic, but today we have Black Rock Shooter and Another ect. Anyway, i guess nowadays they're making more 'intelegent' /action/mystery/more realistic anime, with the exception of Detective conan which was like 30 years ago
'No matter how good you are you alone cannot change the world.' -L Death Note
'I don't like that word. After all, it makes me lonesome. Even though, 'Farewell'. I have to make sure I say it right, Amber?' -Maki, Darker than Black
~

They say too much thinking can create something that's not really there in the first place. So give me a moment, I'm busy thinking about cake.
Apr 5, 2012 1:37 AM

Sep 2011
Hmm, this looks familiar.

I don't prefer any decades in particular. I've liked plenty of series regardless of when they were released.

In b4 monocles and tophat.
ciddypooApr 5, 2012 1:42 AM
Apr 5, 2012 1:38 AM

Mar 2009
I think it's kinda genre depended.
All the moe and cute stuff is like 2007-, while good slice 'n' life anime were in the 80s and 90s.
There's also stuff like Mecha that was good throughout the decades.
Apr 5, 2012 1:40 AM

Mar 2012
Bluefeatherraven said:
2000-today, i guess. Idk, Death Note was made in 2007, Darker than Black even earlier. Both were epic, but today we have Black Rock Shooter and Another ect. Anyway, i guess nowadays they're making more 'intelegent' /action/mystery/more realistic anime, with the exception of Detective conan which was like 30 years ago
Bluefeatherraven said:

Well, by realism many do tend to just take a modern city in Japan and revolve a storyline around a bunch of high school or jr. high students. I don't find it exactly creative and intelligent is debatable.

Death Note is also one of my favorite anime and it was very well executed. I am not bashing modern anime as bad as I love a few of them. I am just not a huge fan of a lot of the art style and this genre revolving around school girls. I find it highly distasteful.
Apr 5, 2012 1:40 AM

Aug 2009
90's most deffinetly. Char designs, most stories, freedom for the writers and athe ability to actually do what they want with an anime. This era also had much of the most creative animes, like Angel's Egg etc. (today we have stuff from Masaki Yuasa, who I think is awesome but barely anyone knows about him) Also the 90's are sentimentally valuable to me, becase thats the stuff that I gew up watching aswell as the use of actual drawn art which was at its peak during this time.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 5, 2012 1:42 AM

Sep 2011
Also, I don't really see how your videogame comparisons apply. Especially with Xenogears, if you're trying to laud it as something overly spectacular.
Apr 5, 2012 1:47 AM

Jul 2007
According to MALGraph, my highest rated decade as of now is 1980.
Apr 5, 2012 1:57 AM

Dec 2010
90 and 2000's at a tie for most anime- That smooth animation quality is great for action scenes.

Wow I'm so tired. I should stop coming online at night and post unthoughtful gibberish.
Apr 5, 2012 2:05 AM

Sep 2011
Anime was at its best around the years 2006-2008. (opinions may differ of course)
Apr 5, 2012 2:11 AM

Feb 2012
90s-07
After that the cliche of a wimpy MC becoming the hero of the story started to get really bold and repetitive.
Apr 5, 2012 2:16 AM

Feb 2012
I think it was around 95-07. The shift to digital did hurt anime quite a bit at the start in terms of visual quality, but the variety of groundbreaking titles was astonishing.
Apr 5, 2012 2:25 AM

Mar 2009
90s. There's something about the stuff during that time that I like.
Apr 5, 2012 3:57 AM

Apr 2011
I wouldn't call it the best, but my favorite era is apparently the 2000's according to MALgraph.
Apr 5, 2012 4:02 AM
May 2010
The last 10 years. If I have to do it in actual decades, I am guessing I will like 2010-2020 more than anything else, as the 2 years its had have pretty much been my favorite. So I like new anime, shoot me.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 5, 2012 4:11 AM
Nov 2011
Uhm, I'm not too sure. According to my MALGraph, 00's anime is rated highest by me but I can't depend solely on that since I haven't watched all the 00's anime. Also, LoGH (my current favorite anime) started being made in late 80s and ended in late 90s, so yes, I'm not certain about the best era of anime.
Apr 5, 2012 6:11 AM

Feb 2012
OriginANIME said:
Anime was at its best around the years 2006-2008. (opinions may differ of course)

I agree.
Apr 5, 2012 6:27 AM

May 2010
1998: Cowboy Bebop, Serial Eperiments Lain, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Initial D, Cardcaptor Sakura, Kare Kano and even some lesser known but pretty amazing ones like Vampire Princess Miyu and Gasaraki were realeased in the same year.

On the whole though, I think I prefer the 90s and 2000 - 2008 shows, of what I've watched so far.
Apr 5, 2012 6:48 AM

May 2011
2000- today

i think that all anime i have seen are in this era XD
please make my breakfast every morning for me sweet cheeks! *bowling position"
Apr 5, 2012 6:53 AM

Sep 2010
truesoul said:
2000- today

That's two eras.

Apr 5, 2012 6:53 AM
Mar 2011
63- 94 is the best era of anime and manga
the Tezuka era and the golden age [79-94] the era anime can never get back to cuase Japan as a nation in our life life will never be a prosperous as a nation like it was in the 80's - mid 90's sad fact

the quilty of anime will always be shown on the state of Japan economicly speaking for exmaple there was more anime on at prime time non satalite or cable TV during this time 79-94 its post 2000 in the maib were more and More UHF anime stated to happen in around 04 alot of anime and Toku [ toku before 04 in mian] started to lose its prime time slots orimr time being for 1400- 1700 then 20-00 - 25-00
butt hell even the rely high hitters n=dont get the Ratings thay should leveing out the top 3 but the big shounen of the moment is One Piece witch has never broken top 3 and gets 15.00 a week thats a 7% viewer shere while Both DBz and Seiya in there times are around 15-18% viewer Share thats is around as high as wat the big three TV anime in japan get now and DB/DBZ and Seiya also never broke the top three
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 5, 2012 7:36 AM

Jul 2011
OriginANIME said:

Agree, most of my favourite series aired during that time.

Haters gonna hate.
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Apr 5, 2012 7:37 AM
Dec 2011
After Akira, we could saw a lot of excellent sci fi animes. Trigun, Outlaw Star, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion... it is for me one of the greatest eras of anime.
Apr 5, 2012 7:38 AM
Mar 2011
Inconscient said:
OriginANIME said:

Agree, most of my favourite series aired during that time..

your young your taste will evolve
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 5, 2012 7:47 AM

Mar 2012
the graphics are better in the 2000s
Apr 5, 2012 8:09 AM

Jun 2011
According to my ratings, the older the anime, the better I rate them. I don't care, it just so happened this way.
I would rather call it a coincidence, there were recent anime which I found to be pretty good.

It has been said here before in other threads, but I will repeat it differently, proportionally shit in the past is the same as the shit today, it applies to many things. People only notice more what they consider to be bad anime today because it's more accessible, I doubt most here can name even 20 anime before 1980, but they probably would be quite eager to endorse the last 30 great anime they watched in the last decade.
Apr 5, 2012 8:23 AM
May 2010
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
According to my ratings, the older the anime, the better I rate them. I don't care, it just so happened this way.
I would rather call it a coincidence, there were recent anime which I found to be pretty good.

It has been said here before in other threads, but I will repeat it differently, proportionally shit in the past is the same as the shit today, it applies to many things. People only notice more what they consider to be bad anime today because it's more accessible, I doubt most here can name even 20 anime before 1980, but they probably would be quite eager to endorse the last 30 great anime they watched in the last decade.

This is true. In addition to just exposure, it really can be quite a pain finding older animes, even with the internet. If they are fully subbed in the first place.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 5, 2012 8:26 AM

Oct 2011
Enjolras1830 said:
the Tezuka era and the golden age [79-94] the era anime can never get back to cuase Japan as a nation in our life life will never be a prosperous as a nation like it was in the 80's - mid 90's sad fact

the quilty of anime will always be shown on the state of Japan economicly speaking for exmaple there was more anime on at prime time non satalite or cable TV during this time 79-94 its post 2000 in the maib were more and More UHF anime stated to happen in around 04 alot of anime and Toku [ toku before 04 in mian] started to lose its prime time slots orimr time being for 1400- 1700 then 20-00 - 25-00
butt hell even the rely high hitters n=dont get the Ratings thay should leveing out the top 3 but the big shounen of the moment is One Piece witch has never broken top 3 and gets 15.00 a week thats a 7% viewer shere while Both DBz and Seiya in there times are around 15-18% viewer Share thats is around as high as wat the big three TV anime in japan get now and DB/DBZ and Seiya also never broke the top three

What were the anime that came out at 1995?
Apr 5, 2012 8:36 AM

Aug 2011
Anime_Name said:
truesoul said:
2000- today

That's two eras.

Two decades, not two eras. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ERA (same goes to the OP)

Personally, I have the feeling that older anime have better execution of the ideas, but the ideas themselves are much simpler than the ones in today's anime.
For that reason, I tend to rate older anime higher than more recent anime. Hell, just check my MALgraph.
Tiago97Apr 5, 2012 8:43 AM
Apr 5, 2012 8:37 AM

May 2010
I like a variety of anime, ranging in the years 1982-2007. Beyond that, there is only a handful of titles I like that came after 2007.
Apr 5, 2012 8:40 AM

Sep 2010
Tiago97 said:
Anime_Name said:
truesoul said:
2000- today

That's two eras.

Two decades, not two eras. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ERA

Personally, I have the feeling that older anime have better execution of the ideas, but the ideas themselves are much simpler than the ones in today's anime.
For that reason, I tend to rate older anime higher than more recent anime. Hell, just check my MALgraph.

Then correct the OP because I am just following his lead on what divisions of time he used for this topic. He separated eras into decades.

Apr 5, 2012 8:42 AM

Sep 2011
its kinda cheating but i though the late 90's through early 00's(like to 2004) were the best years

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 5, 2012 8:53 AM
Mar 2011
BlueKite said:
Enjolras1830 said:

What were the anime that came out at 1995?

my answer to you
only one big name one thats EVa but its save the industery both GT and G Gundam bad rating almost killed off the Industry anime did not fully rrcover to any standard till around 01 98 was the year of the fitst big UHF boom with the founding of animax
also list of anime of 95
http://thecartdriver.com/fall-1995-anime-season-preview/
----
my contiuation of my last post

Toei then started to mess with ariring times for examole im shocked One piece gets the ratings its does cause its a a grave yard slot on anime blocks anime and toku for that matter that air at the 0700-0930 Block will out scoce there older counter parts witch aired at Prime time 19.00 - 25.34 is what Kamen rider gets year on yaer but that a thing attached to that name bot older prime times were would get 30.00- 40.00 [ oh a 1.00 is a 300000-400000 [ dependog o region and projected viewing figues for the time block of the airing time]

Apr 5, 2012 8:58 AM

Aug 2009
for me - 2000-2005
Apr 5, 2012 9:24 AM
Feb 2010
Pretty much everything I've given a 10/10 to came out in 2000-2009 (well, except Berserk), so I'd say that's the era I'd choose.
Apr 5, 2012 9:30 AM

Jul 2011
Enjolras1830 said:

That's usually what tastes do, no?
They change, they evolve, they shift from one thing to another..

Age is entirely irrelevant in that case.
Apr 5, 2012 9:52 AM

Sep 2010
Inconscient said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Age is relevant as age is one to divide and target audiences into specific demographics.

Apr 5, 2012 10:05 AM

Feb 2012
Inconscient said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Age is very relevant.

You'll notice that older people prefer things that were popular in their childhood. Nostalgia does that.

Look at the original star wars trilogy. Those that were born in that generation prefer it to the prequels. Same thing with anime. People that were born in the early 80's may prefer anime in those times since it's a precious childhood memory.

As for the OP's question, I think this question is unfair. I think most will view the latest 'era' as the better one purely because animation quality is significantly better now.

If you look up recent polls of top 25 anime ( Look for polls done in japan ), you'll notice that most of the anime in the list are from the past 2-6 years. The industry is still far too young to truly judge which is the better era.

Now if we were talking American cartoons and go back to the 20's, then this question would make more sense.
Apr 5, 2012 10:11 AM

Sep 2010
Yvese said:

If you look up recent polls of top 25 anime ( Look for polls done in japan ), you'll notice that most of the anime in the list are from the past 2-6 years. The industry is still far too young to truly judge which is the better era.

Now if we were talking American cartoons and go back to the 20's, then this question would make more sense.

Funny that you mention Japanese polls, here's one. Those Jap's memories go back father than 2-6 years. I think you're talking about American anime fans like the top 10 on MAL.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-04-05/one-piece-luffy-db-goku-top-fuji-tv-anime/tokusatsu-hero-poll

Apr 5, 2012 10:12 AM
Mar 2011
Yvese said:
Inconscient said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Age is very relevant.

You'll notice that older people prefer things that were popular in their childhood. Nostalgia does that.

Look at the original star wars trilogy. Those that were born in that generation prefer it to the prequels. Same thing with anime. People that were born in the early 80's may prefer anime in those times since it's a precious childhood memory.

As for the OP's question, I think this question is unfair. I think most will view the latest 'era' as the better one purely because animation quality is significantly better now.

the anime isudaty has been alive since 1917

Apr 5, 2012 10:13 AM

Jun 2011
Yvese said:

Look at the original star wars trilogy. Those that were born in that generation prefer it to the prequels. Same thing with all people who aren't retarded.

FTFU
Apr 5, 2012 10:15 AM
Mar 2011
Anime_Name said:
Yvese said:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-04-05/one-piece-luffy-db-goku-top-fuji-tv-anime/tokusatsu-hero-poll

there sohows we have better taste than you

Apr 5, 2012 10:16 AM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
Yvese said:

Funny that you mention Japanese polls, here's one. Those Jap's memories go back father than 2-6 years. I think you're talking about American anime fans like the top 10 on MAL.
Ah but those are lists of characters, not anime. Totally different imo since there's not many heros/heroines in the past 2-6 years that are memorable.

Polls I've seen list Bakemonogatari as the #1 anime of 2000-2012, with K-ON! as #2 =/
Apr 5, 2012 10:19 AM
Sep 2007
I'd say Dec 1988 to Oct 1997.
Apr 5, 2012 10:19 AM
Mar 2011
Yvese said:
Anime_Name said:
Yvese said:

Ah but those are lists of characters, not anime. Totally different imo since there's not many heros/heroines in the past 2-6 years that are memorable.

Polls I've seen list Bakemonogatari as the #1 anime of 2000-2012, with K-ON! as #2 =/

Toku and anime is linked in many ways soo that list is more valid than any thing

Apr 5, 2012 10:29 AM

Jul 2011
Enjolras1830 said:

Assuming you mean 'industry', it's been around since 1907.

@Yvese
Well you have a point.
I have indeed noticed that a lot of older people prefer series like dragonball, things one would consider nostalgic.

Pardon my ignorance.
Apr 5, 2012 10:31 AM
Mar 2011
Inconscient said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Assuming you mean 'industry', it's been around since 1907.

@Yvese
Well you have a point.
I have indeed noticed that a lot of older people prefer series like dragonball, things one would consider nostalgic.

Pardon my ignorance.

fine i should have know that lol but its not as young as people as it is

Apr 5, 2012 10:33 AM

Sep 2010
Yvese said:
Anime_Name said:
Yvese said:

You opinion is completely trash as the character lists have everything to do with anime and speaks volumes about the length of referential anime memory the Japanese have. It shows their memory to be more than 2-6 years and your just pissy that it proves your nonsense wrong.

Who the hell are you talking to? I don't have an issue with the list. I happen to agree with most characters on there and find the breakdown by age ranges to be pretty interesting.
Anime_NameApr 5, 2012 10:44 AM

Apr 5, 2012 10:33 AM

May 2008
Years from now, hopefully.
Apr 5, 2012 10:36 AM
Mar 2011
Anime_Name said:
Yvese said:
Anime_Name said:
Yvese said:

You opinion is completely trash as the character lists have everything to do with anime and speaks volumes about the length of referential anime memory the Japanese have. It shows their memory to be more than 2-6 years and your just pissy that it proves your nonsense wrong.

Why the hell are you talking to? I don't have an issue with the list. I happen to agree with most characters on there and find the breakdown by age ranges to be pretty interesting.

i Just you Quoteedfor the link
my mian rebutt was to the other guy quoted in the post above sorry for miss understanding

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 41 minutes ago

15 by TsutanaiFuun »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 8 hours ago

20 by tmoverbeck »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

34 by MasterTasuke »»
15 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.