Forum Settings
Forums

Why Must Alot of Anime Take Place in a School Setting?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 3, 2012 2:25 PM

Feb 2012
I think it's because they want teenagers watching to relate to the setting and activities happening in school :P
Apr 3, 2012 2:33 PM

Mar 2009
There are exceptions to every rule, but I generally avoid school/rom/com and rejoice when I find something different.

Anime_Name said:
. . . . change . . . . happens naturally when the market demands, not outsiders saying what they are tired of. Will American TV ever stop making crime dramas? Probably not anytime soon and neither will anime stop putting protagonists in school settings.

The other thing you (not you Anime_Name . . . kind of a general "you.")are failing to take into consideration is that anime is made first for the Japanese market. Is it not probable that a school setting has a completely different cachet in Japan than it does in the west? Consider the adult male fascination for teen girls in school uniforms, particularly in Japan. O.K., that's the kinky part but it also seems there is a general nostalgic attachment to teen school years. Just speculating . . . .
lisnoireApr 3, 2012 2:44 PM
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Apr 4, 2012 2:29 AM

Feb 2012
This is my #1 most hated thing in anime. I don't buy this "the audience are school kids so it makes sense" -argument. Total bullshit. When I was still going to school or studying later, the last thing I wanted to see was effin´ schools in my freetime. Why the hell would anyone like to see more school once they get to decide how to spend their free time? You can relate to it? Who the hell cares, when you could have interesting and showy stuff instead? This is really limiting the possibilities that anime has as a medium.
Apr 4, 2012 6:06 AM
Jul 2011
Maybe because most people watching anime have already went to school or are going to school? So people can maybe relate or at least have first hand experience at school? I would say this, because I am currently a school student, and I know what the characters may feel like at school?
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Apr 4, 2012 6:21 AM
May 2010
mecharobot said:
This is my #1 most hated thing in anime. I don't buy this "the audience are school kids so it makes sense" -argument. Total bullshit. When I was still going to school or studying later, the last thing I wanted to see was effin´ schools in my freetime. Why the hell would anyone like to see more school once they get to decide how to spend their free time? You can relate to it? Who the hell cares, when you could have interesting and showy stuff instead? This is really limiting the possibilities that anime has as a medium.

Obviously enough people care for it to continue to be one of the most used if not the most used settings. There are a bunch of other advantages to it as well. For example, its an easy way to keep all the characters focused in one place.

There is at least one other important thing. The CHARACTERS ARE SCHOOL KIDS. See, sure the anime industry could stop using school as a setting, but why? I mean, they will have to come up with a reason for every child involved to not go to school, or alternatively cut off at least half and probably more of each characters awake time out of the anime entirely. In some situations that might be reasonable(Thinking things like shana, or fate stay night) but, using the original example, ah! my goddess, why would the main character stop going to school?

Ignoring anything else I might come up with to explain it, its like this because the majority of people who watch and or buy anime in japan seem to like it.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 6:30 AM

Aug 2009
In my opinion, these are the only reasons
- Teen kids look hotter or cuter
- They are slowly learning what love is like
- Culture Festival
- Harem is easier in a teenage setting than a adult setting
- Majority of the ero-games are school setting because of a large population of girls for a harem.
- Their reaction (I guess...)
- Easy drama development (Bullying, Psychological and Emotional outburst)
- Easy money

Thats a few I think of, there are more but It will take a while to remember.
Apr 4, 2012 8:10 AM

Feb 2012
miereneronaile said:

Obviously enough people care for it to continue to be one of the most used if not the most used settings.

Maybe, but I'm more the type who likes to argue things for my own beliefs instead of those of others. It might be the truth, but that doesn't mean I have to like or that it would be something that can never change. And is it even popular, really? Looking at top anime, there are more shows without schools that those with schools. You'd almost believe that for an anime to be a hit, it would be better to use less orthodox settings.

miereneronaile said:

There is at least one other important thing. The CHARACTERS ARE SCHOOL KIDS. See, sure the anime industry could stop using school as a setting, but why? I mean, they will have to come up with a reason for every child involved to not go to school, or alternatively cut off at least half and probably more of each characters awake time out of the anime entirely. In some situations that might be reasonable(Thinking things like shana, or fate stay night) but, using the original example, ah! my goddess, why would the main character stop going to school?

I don't know. I never had problems with characters in Gundam or something not going to school. AGE had a few episodes, but it quickly transferred to space battles and school wasn't heard of again. Aria has young characters and one of them does attend school, but there is practically zero school scenes in it. Why is this? It is because these anime are not about schools, but about everything else. If you need to pad your anime with school life events, then I more often than not consider it as a sign of a serious lack in creativity. Stellvia for example, trained young pilots to defend solar system from astronomical disasters, which they did and that is why it was fine. It had a purpose there. Of course if the anime is a romcom set in school, like School Rumble, there is little to be done. But to force it into everything else is in no way needed and rarely used in some kind of creative sense.
Apr 4, 2012 8:16 AM

Oct 2010
Can I just say that some of the best anime are set strictly outside of school? And even if the main characters are technically in high school, it's simply to make the viewer more comfortable and for them to be able to associate with the characters. Generally, only slice of life take place literally at school.
Apr 4, 2012 8:22 AM

Oct 2010
mecharobot said:
You can relate to it? Who the hell cares, when you could have interesting and showy stuff instead? This is really limiting the possibilities that anime has as a medium.

Couldn't agree more with that. I think anime really needs to go ahead and explore outside the box. I mean there's so many places great anime could be set - a hospital, "underground" areas (as in illegal) are just two that spring to mind immediately.
Apr 4, 2012 8:24 AM
May 2010
Your more than welcome to your own beliefs, of course. It would be no fun if everyone just agreed with me:) I dont know that it is THE most popular thing, but it is obviously popular enough to keep working. Is an anime more likely to be a hit if it breaks the norm? Possibly. I wonder, though, if I really want every anime to be a 'hit' I suspect that if every anime was as good as my 10s(my opinion, obviously, of the best shows there are-just subsitute mine with yours) if I would enjoy them as much. The contrast is important, tbh.

Ok, I cant remember gundam clearly, but I am fairly sure most of those characters are pretty much in a military setting, which I pointed out in my first(or an early) post is one of the examples of another setting thats frequently used and good at keeping characters together. In regards to Aria, I think this is a terrible example. Ignoring school, the whole show is set around them learning to be better, they are effectively students just not at a normal 'school'

Looking at MAL, there are something like 6737 listed animes. Its not as simple as simply thinking 'It would be nice to make everything original, lets always do that' It is simply to hard to do. Its not a lack of creativity, its an acceptance of reality. Not every anime can be a masterpiece. Not every anime can break the norms. The school setting gets used a lot. Im glad it does, because its the most logical setting for a very large amount of animes. Yes, they could get creative and think up some bizarre situations, but.. I still dont think it would make much sense to do that. Its possible to try to hard to be creative.

In regards to the comment about purpose.. what about the purpose of educating the new generations? Its not like they are just going to school because cookies, yaknow. Its kind of the normal thing to do.

Actually, after writing that another thought came to me, another advantage, part of the 'relating to them' idea is that making the characters attend school makes it seem like they are normal. I imagine it helps make it give a feeling of 'this could happen'

Finally, I really dont think the school setting has been forced into to many things. In most places, its the natural setting. Any OTHER setting would be forced, the school one is the norm, normally.

Id just like to clarify that I do infact like a lot of animes outside of schools, I just dont see why so many people hate the school setting because of how much its used.

If you hate it because you dont like it, well obviously thats fine - but just because it gets used a lot 0o?
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 8:27 AM

Mar 2012
I see a lot of anime in school settings when it comes to romance, slice of life, shoujo and occasionally supernatural. To be honest some people including myself like this sort of setting as long as there is something which makes the individual anime stand out from all the rest with the same genre and school background.

School=Students=Romance.

Most anime's have this sort of school background even it anime like naruto and ninja academy and in bleach where it takes off from Ichigo with a high school background setting. In romance a school background wouldn't be surprising but mostly other anime which are not slice of life or romance use it this "school" background setting just as a place to start of their story.
EsPwnageApr 4, 2012 8:31 AM
Apr 4, 2012 8:32 AM

Mar 2012
Ma1evolence said:
Im not making this a debate on what's good and bad, Im making the argument that originality = unique quality while unoriginality = lazy slock most of the time.

For every 1 Clannad type show based on a highschool setting there are 10 crap anime based off a highschool setting

I think the idea is that most anime use teenage main characters. If it isn't an extremely out of the box anime like Phantom: Requiem or some sort of fantasy like Sekirei, then most teenagers tend to go to school. The only exception is if the teenager is homeless, in which case the anime would be pretty bad unless it was based around how the homeless guy became homeless in a flashback or something. This would mean it would probably use a school setting still.

It's annoying I know, but that's why you should just ignore 'normal' anime and go for something fantasy or out of the box. I would also like to remind you that your avatar is from Rosario x Vampire, which is based entirely on the school setting. So you can't hate school settings that much?
Apr 4, 2012 8:46 AM

Sep 2010
bebe14 said:
mecharobot said:
You can relate to it? Who the hell cares, when you could have interesting and showy stuff instead? This is really limiting the possibilities that anime has as a medium.

Couldn't agree more with that. I think anime really needs to go ahead and explore outside the box. I mean there's so many places great anime could be set - a hospital, "underground" areas (as in illegal) are just two that spring to mind immediately.

Anime does explore outside of the box ideas. The fact that not many anime does makes those ideas unusual, if everyone did unsual ideas people like you and the OP would then complain about the new 'norm'.
Anime_NameApr 4, 2012 8:52 AM

Apr 4, 2012 8:48 AM
May 2010
Anime_Name said:

Anime does explore outside of the box ideas. The fact that not many anime does so those ideas unusual, if everyone did unsual ideas people like you and the OP would then complain about the new 'norm'.

Thank you for putting that into words well.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 8:50 AM

Nov 2011
The setting doesn't make a show suck the plot does.
Apr 4, 2012 9:15 AM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:
mecharobot said:

Anime does explore outside of the box ideas. The fact that not many anime does makes those ideas unusual, if everyone did unsual ideas people like you and the OP would then complain about the new 'norm'.

I'm not saying that every anime should go ahead and be the new Madoka, but you can't possibly find the same highschool rom-com plot entertaining, when seen a bunch of times, however great may the other aspects of this show be.
And honestly, how can you argue against me in a theoretical aspect? I mean, the whole point is, that not very many anime bring about the originality I'd like to see. And while EVERY anime fighting against cliche would be firstly impossible and secondly probably not very successful, I would like to see some more examples of this.
Apr 4, 2012 9:27 AM
May 2010
bebe14 said:
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:
mecharobot said:

I'm not saying that every anime should go ahead and be the new Madoka, but you can't possibly find the same highschool rom-com plot entertaining, when seen a bunch of times, however great may the other aspects of this show be.
And honestly, how can you argue against me in a theoretical aspect? I mean, the whole point is, that not very many anime bring about the originality I'd like to see. And while EVERY anime fighting against cliche would be firstly impossible and secondly probably not very successful, I would like to see some more examples of this.

I find it entertaining every time, so it is possible. I am easily pleased, though. Still, your talking about the plot-not the setting. Highschool is the setting of the show not the plot.
I agree that more animes trying to fight the cliches would be nice, I just dont find it so worrisome.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 9:28 AM

Sep 2010
bebe14 said:
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:
mecharobot said:

You said anime isn't exploring unusual ideas when in fact they are.
Yes, I can find the same rom-com plots entertaining, if a plot works once then naturally it can work again. The highscool bit isn't part of the plot, it's the setting and the setting still works for many people. Sorry if the people who support anime aren't up to your level of snobbery.

Apr 4, 2012 9:32 AM

Feb 2012
miereneronaile said:
Ok, I cant remember gundam clearly, but I am fairly sure most of those characters are pretty much in a military setting, which I pointed out in my first(or an early) post is one of the examples of another setting thats frequently used and good at keeping characters together. In regards to Aria, I think this is a terrible example. Ignoring school, the whole show is set around them learning to be better, they are effectively students just not at a normal 'school'

What matters is what we see first and foremost, since anime is a visual medium. Aria managed to reimagine the whole genre in an otherworld setting with its own workings. Effectively, for some reason I dislike most other SoL anime for not doing this. Lets take something like Angel Beats, which dared to reimagine afterlife to resemble a japanese high school. They may tell it is an anime about afterlife, but what we see is still an effin' high school with the usual students and uniforms. How creatively bankrupt do you have to be to imagine it like that? Are you really going to say that it is not important?

As for Gundam, most are either soldiers to begin with or teens that just happen to get caught up in the war that rages around them. In neither case, despite their age, are establishing them as students first and pilots second necessary. The point? It is that even if some do technically start out that way, the image gets completely thrown out of the window usually less than one episode in. Who cares about attendance when the fate of the world may be at stake?

miereneronaile said:

Finally, I really dont think the school setting has been forced into to many things. In most places, its the natural setting. Any OTHER setting would be forced, the school one is the norm, normally.

So you're saying that instead of a fantasy land where trained wizards battle demons, it is much more natural for some teen to suddenly gain super powers, battling nights and sleeping at class the following day (when the baddies conveniently don't appear), uncover secret organizations that for some reason go under the public eye despite causing insane collateral damage while completely shattering the image of a reality based show? The way I see it, this makes for far more writing off logical inconsistencies than a setting where your imagination can work freely.
mecharobotApr 4, 2012 9:38 AM
Apr 4, 2012 9:43 AM
May 2010
Im trying to avoid using quote as it leads to stupidly huge posts, but if you cant understand what I am replying to where tell me and Ill start again. Ill just try and reply in order, for now.

Im just going to trust your word on gundam. Me trying to comment any more on it would just be stupid, I can not remember it at all. I agree that its great when shows dont use the school setting sometimes. Its important that there are shows that avoid it. I just dont want more shows to do it. Im guessing that this is purely because I really love the setting. Not much either of us can do to change that, really, so lets just agree to disagree.

With Angel Beats! I feel that the school setting was fairly necessary. A large part of that show was to do with appreciating life despite all of its hard parts, and school is quite relevant to that. Besides that, it lent an element of reality to the situation, and an element EVERYONE has experienced.(Everyone in their target audience, anyway)

One last thing, dependent on the entire reason for its existence(the entire 'world' Angel Beats! is set in) school is a pretty logical setting for its existence because it would be a place most people had experienced, a place where it would make sense for all the characters to be together. It gave them a chance to have happy, normal lives(a major thing for some of those characters..)

Where else would these things come as easily?

I dont think it makes much sense for there to be trained wizards or magical teens, tbh. Again though, I love both those settings. Does one make more sense than the other? Not really. I can give explanations for the baddies not appearing, but not really the organisations that just never get noticed. I guess my suspension of disbelief is to strong for any of this to bother me at all.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 9:47 AM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:
mecharobot said:

You said anime isn't exploring unusual ideas when in fact they are.
Yes, I can find the same rom-com plots entertaining, if a plot works once then naturally it can work again. The highscool bit isn't part of the plot, it's the setting and the setting still works for many people. Sorry if the people who support anime aren't up to your level of snobbery.

If you are able to watch the same character stereotypes interact in the same high school environment and still find it amusing than I'm sorry, but you must be braindead. I genuinely don't see the connection between wanting to experience new settings and environments (which will naturally lead to a different story) and being a snob. Also, 'people who support anime' is a rather vast group and I don't think it's very accurate to go around thinking every anime fan supports your opinion. You might as well replace that with yourself and then I think the statement should be more correct. Because as I've previously stated, I do think watching something you've seen countless times before, is rather robotic.
Apr 4, 2012 9:50 AM
May 2010
There is a difference between wanting to experience new environments and hating the ones you are used to. I went to school for 12 years, and enjoyed it. Does that make me brain dead for liking the same thing with the same people day after day 0o?
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 10:00 AM

Oct 2010
miereneronaile said:
There is a difference between wanting to experience new environments and hating the ones you are used to. I went to school for 12 years, and enjoyed it. Does that make me brain dead for liking the same thing with the same people day after day 0o?

There is obviously a difference between WATCHING it and doing it yourself. I'm sure if I were to watch 12 years of your school life in an anime, I'd get rather bored. No offense to you (mine would be even less enjoyable). And that's exactly what I'm trying to say.
Apr 4, 2012 10:02 AM
May 2010
Hmm. I think the issue here is that I am totally obsessed and dont really view that as a different thing, even though it obviously is. Ive just gotten unreasonably good at running away from reality, I guess...
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 10:12 AM

Sep 2010
bebe14 said:

If you are able to watch the same character stereotypes interact in the same high school environment and still find it amusing than I'm sorry, but you must be braindead. I genuinely don't see the connection between wanting to experience new settings and environments (which will naturally lead to a different story) and being a snob. Also, 'people who support anime' is a rather vast group and I don't think it's very accurate to go around thinking every anime fan supports your opinion. You might as well replace that with yourself and then I think the statement should be more correct. Because as I've previously stated, I do think watching something you've seen countless times before, is rather robotic.

Why be sorry? Every story written uses popular stereotypes in order to move the story along and entertain people. I don't see a reason to hold rom-com plots to any higher criteria than other standard plots. Buddy cop movies will always pair up a stereotypical tight-ass cop with a cliched funny cop and have the pair save the day. Big deal, buddy cop movies put butts in the seats just like rom-coms. Personally, the sort of hate you have towards school settings and rom-coms looks completely arbitrary and ignorant.

By 'people who support anime' I am referring to the statistics known as TV ratings and sales figures a non-specific anime obtains. That's a lot more concrete than your "me like this, I don't like that" reasoning you have behind your generalizations.
Anime_NameApr 4, 2012 10:17 AM

Apr 4, 2012 10:15 AM
Nov 2011
It's 'cause you haven't seen the extent of the world known as "anime."
Apr 4, 2012 10:25 AM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:

Why be sorry? Every story written uses popular stereotypes in order to move the story along and entertain people. I don't see a reason to hold rom-com plots to any higher criteria than other standard plots. Personally, that sort of concentrated hate reeks of stupidity and narrow-mindedness.

By 'people who support anime' I am referring to the statistics known as TV ratings and sales figures a non-specific anime obtains. That's a lot more concrete than your "me like this, I don't like that" reasoning you have behind your generalizations.

I do feel that rom-coms should have higher criteria. If the anime is simply going to retell I story I've already heard before, my rating is going to go lower, however much I enjoyed the original story.
While with a more unique and original setting and plot, the anime can be of rather poor quality and still have the same effect on me as the second rom-com. They don't leave you thinking, or guessing because you know what's going to happen, you know how it's going to end.
Yes I do have "me like this, I don't like that" reasoning. Why wouldn't I? I'm trying to argue for something that I enjoy, so why should I particularly care what other people have to say on this? And as for your 'statistics', most anime on the top list are set outside of school, even if they do have characters which are 16-20 years old. Why, even Clannad increased in popularity when it left high school, so your argument is rather invalid.

** As for your edit: I'm not being ignorant or arbitrary, so please learn the meaning of these words before you start offending other people. I've started out on rom-com anime with a completely neutral view, actually rather positive, but as I've watched more my opinion has slowly become more cynical. From watching these anime, I've come to realize they all follow a very similar script and if it has nothing more to offer, it's not worth my time.
If in fact is does contain something original, I have no problem in the least with enjoying this. I'll use one of my favorites as an example - OHSHC
merurinApr 4, 2012 10:34 AM
Apr 4, 2012 10:31 AM

Aug 2011
I lol'd at all the people saying it was because the target group was teenagers. Which is obviously completely false.

An interview with Hideaki Anno (creator of Evangelion)--about Rei of all things--ended up posing a good answer to the OP's question:

“Rei is someone who is aware of the fact that even if she dies, there’ll be another to replace her, so she doesn’t value her life very highly,” Anno explains, slouching ever-deeper into the couch. “Her presence, her existence—ostensible existence—is ephemeral. She’s a very sad girl. She only has the barest minimum of what she needs to have. She’s damaged in some way; she hurts herself. She doesn’t need friends.”

Anno understands the Japanese national attraction to characters like Rei as the product of a stunted imaginative landscape born of Japan’s defeat in the Second World War. “Japan lost the war to the Americans,” he explains, seeming interested in his own words for the first time during our interview. “Since that time, the education we received is not one that creates adults. Even for us, people in their 40s, and for the generation older than me, in their 50s and 60s, there’s no reasonable model of what an adult should be like.” The theory that Japan’s defeat stripped the country of its independence and led to the creation of a nation of permanent children, weaklings forced to live under the protection of the American Big Daddy, is widely shared by artists and intellectuals in Japan. It is also a staple of popular cartoons, many of which feature a well-meaning government that turns out to be a facade concealing sinister and more powerful forces.

Anno pauses for a moment, and gives a dark-browed stare out the window. “I don’t see any adults here in Japan,” he says, with a shrug. “The fact that you see salarymen reading manga and pornography on the trains and being unafraid, unashamed or anything, is something you wouldn’t have seen 30 years ago, with people who grew up under a different system of government. They would have been far too embarrassed to open a book of cartoons or dirty pictures on a train. But that’s what we have now in Japan. We are a country of children.”

Source.
Apr 4, 2012 10:32 AM
May 2010
I really hope you at least check which anime was aired first before rating it down because it 'lacks originality'

Infact, I hope you also check their source material, and change ratings around every single time you find something was older than something you were already rating. Otherwise, this whole thing is hypocritical, because originality has nothing to do with when you happened to watch an anime.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 10:34 AM

Sep 2010
bebe14 said:

I do feel that rom-coms should have higher criteria. If the anime is simply going to retell I story I've already heard before, my rating is going to go lower, however much I enjoyed the original story.

Which is why your argument is complete bullshit. You can't be taken seriously if you really think one sub-genre of story needs to be more avant-garde than the countless other genres just because you wish it.

Why, even Clannad increased in popularity when it left high school, so your argument is rather invalid.

My argument is not what is more popular or that non-school settings don't work. My point is school settings work well. Each and every anime season that sees successful anime set in a school reinforces my point.
Anime_NameApr 4, 2012 10:38 AM

Apr 4, 2012 10:39 AM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:

Which is why your argument is complete bullshit. You can't be taken seriously if you really think one sub-genre of story needs to be more avant-garde than the countless other genres just because you wish it.

I consider an important factor of my ratings to be the enjoyment I find in this anime. This gradually decreases if I see the same thing a million times (how many times will I have to repeat myself). "Oh, congratulations on successfully animating something I've already seen in a completely average way." I don't think that's how anime should be rated.
Apr 4, 2012 10:40 AM
May 2010
bebe14 said:
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:

I consider an important factor of my ratings to be the enjoyment I find in this anime. This gradually decreases if I see the same thing a million times (how many times will I have to repeat myself). "Oh, congratulations on successfully animating something I've already seen in a completely average way." I don't think that's how anime should be rated.

Again, I really hope you are rating things in your mind in the order they were aired, and the order of their original creation, as opposed to what order you watch them in, because unless you are doing that what you are saying here is a total and utter load of crap. Not saying you arent doing that, btw, just that IF you arent.. well ye.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 10:41 AM

Oct 2010
miereneronaile said:
I really hope you at least check which anime was aired first before rating it down because it 'lacks originality'

Infact, I hope you also check their source material, and change ratings around every single time you find something was older than something you were already rating. Otherwise, this whole thing is hypocritical, because originality has nothing to do with when you happened to watch an anime.

Why should it matter which was aired first when they're all the same? They all deserve the same rating, unless they present something which the others lack.
Apr 4, 2012 10:42 AM

Jun 2007
Why must a lot of people spell "a lot" as one word? Would you also write abunch, abit, afew, aton, or alittle?
Apr 4, 2012 10:43 AM
May 2010
Ohh, if they all deserve the same rating what is the problem? I thought things got somehow worse with repetition?

Im sorry, your obvious hypocrisy is making my poor dead brain have a bit of trouble here..
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 10:48 AM

Oct 2010
miereneronaile said:
Ohh, if they all deserve the same rating what is the problem? I thought things got somehow worse with repetition?

Im sorry, your obvious hypocrisy is making my poor dead brain have a bit of trouble here..

They all deserve the same rating, which in my list, is generally a 6 (Kaichou wa maid-sama, Clannad, Itazura na Kiss ...). On my list, Kaichou wa maid-sama was a 7 or 8 when I first watched it, but after rewatching some episodes I've realized that it really wasn't that exclusive whatsoever. That's why I changed it's score.
So maybe you should stop making assumptions in a sad attempt to insult me.
Apr 4, 2012 10:51 AM
May 2010
So the entire genre somehow gets worse the more its done? No need to explain how stupid that is.

Edit - More Kanon (2006) 8 TV 24
Your score.
Ouran High School Host Club 8 TV 26
Your score.
22 Edit - More K-On! 7 TV 13
Your score.
Toradora! 7 TV 25
Your score.
31 Edit - More Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu 7 TV 14
Your score.

The school aspect is extremely strong in all of these, and none of them are spectacularly unique. Next?

Ohh, btw, you also have a bunch LOWER than 6, I was just to lazy to copy them here to.

Infact, you actually have more overall off 6 than on 6, lol.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 10:53 AM

Sep 2010
bebe14 said:
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:

No anime is going to try to be different just to please you. As I said, there are people(as proven by ratings and sales) that like rom-coms that use cliches, tropes, standards, norms, etc and anime producers go where the money is. You can not like that fact until you are blue in the face but anime producers are going to use proven techniques, a lot

Apr 4, 2012 11:01 AM

Oct 2010
miereneronaile said:
So the entire genre somehow gets worse the more its done? No need to explain how stupid that is.

Edit - More Kanon (2006) 8 TV 24
Your score.
Ouran High School Host Club 8 TV 26
Your score.
22 Edit - More K-On! 7 TV 13
Your score.
Toradora! 7 TV 25
Your score.
31 Edit - More Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu 7 TV 14
Your score.

The school aspect is extremely strong in all of these, and none of them are spectacularly unique. Next?

Ohh, btw, you also have a bunch LOWER than 6, I was just to lazy to copy them here to.

How on earth can YOU try to tell ME which anime I find unique and which anime are plain and boring?
No idea why I need to justify my ratings, but I can't tolerate your stupidity so here you go:

Kanon (2006): This was absolutely beautiful. The way Yuichi developed the girls was magnificently shown throughout the series and it did not fail to evoke emotion from me (unlike Clannad). The characters were enjoyable and the arcs had admirable directing, specifically Makoto's. The ending was beautiful and the portrayal of miracles in this anime gives hope.
Ouran High School Host Club: This was absolutely fucking hilarious, unlike most rom-com out there. It's parodying of bishonen was absolutely my type of humour.
K-On!: The friendship among these girls stands out more than others, to me. Also, moe is definitely my thing.
Toradora!: Two words: Female Characters.
Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu: Haruhi is one of my favorite female characters. She's a bitch and I love her imaginative ideas. The opening sequence was amazing and the show had a much better plot than the generic boy-meets-girl.

You know why you get to rate your shows and not just put a general rating in your list? Because everyone views a show differently, so before you say that non of these are unique please think whether you're being reasonable or just forcing me to accept your opinion.
Apr 4, 2012 11:06 AM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:

No anime is going to try to be different just to please you. As I said, there are people(as proven by ratings and sales) that like rom-coms that use cliches, tropes, standards, norms, etc and anime producers go where the money is. You can not like that fact until you are blue in the face but anime producers are going to use proven techniques, a lot

That's why I'm able to live with the fact that I find some shows on MAL highly overrated. But I am not looking for something which others will like, but rather something I will enjoy. So producers can go ahead and make these shows which the average anime viewer enjoys, and I will sit her, writing on the forum that I would like to see a different setting.
Don't be mistaken - I understand why these shows are still produced. But that doesn't stop me from thinking they're overrated.
Apr 4, 2012 11:07 AM

Mar 2012
I'd agree with Anime_Name. Though usually stuff like a school sterotype has many other beneith it. Usually Widely different in how the story is told. School generally is just a setting of the story.

- School, Slice of Life, Romance, Drama (Hana Yori Dango, Life, ect)
- School, Romance, Gender swap, Comedy (Kashimashi, I My Me Strawberry Eggs, ect)
- School, Super Natural, Horror (Paraside, Moving Classroom )
- School, Yakuza (nickname), Comedy, (Cromartie high school, GTO, ect)
- School, Sports (Prince of tennis, and a lot more I can't remember lol)
- School, Romance, Comedy, Drama
Apr 4, 2012 11:22 AM

Sep 2010
bebe14 said:
That's why I'm able to live with the fact that I find some shows on MAL highly overrated. But I am not looking for something which others will like, but rather something I will enjoy. So producers can go ahead and make these shows which the average anime viewer enjoys, and I will sit her, writing on the forum that I would like to see a different setting.
Don't be mistaken - I understand why these shows are still produced. But that doesn't stop me from thinking they're overrated.

Lots of more shit that isn't remotely on topic.
School settings works for anime producers and watchers. That's the answer. Your opinion of school settings don't matter.

Apr 4, 2012 11:24 AM
May 2010
Im not going to keep that convo going, its to much wasted time for someone who thinks I am stupid, you dont deserve the effort.

Instead, I am simply going to point out that this '"Oh, congratulations on successfully animating something I've already seen in a completely average way." I don't think that's how anime should be rated.
'
Is possibly the most arrogant thing I have ever read. They didnt animate it thinking of you, sunshine. Using sarcasm to mock what they have created because you dont approve of its lack of originality just because you happened to watch it after other shows of the same setting is arrogant beyond belief.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 11:28 AM

Oct 2010
Anime_Name said:
bebe14 said:

Lots of more shit that isn't remotely on topic.
School settings works for anime producers and watchers. That's the answer. Your opinion of school settings don't matter.

Isn't that basically what I said? If you look back towards my first post I said that this works "because the audience can relate" and obviously that makes money as well. I know how business works and I understand that in this case, I am a minority and that's why me complaining on this forum doesn't affect the anime being released. That doesn't fucking affect my opinion on the fact that I would like if more anime would get out of school and into other settings.
Apr 4, 2012 11:30 AM
May 2010
I agree, as long as I dont lose my school romcoms in the process. The problem might be that in asking for that you are probably also asking for a hell of a lot of people to lose the type of anime they like. /shrug.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 11:31 AM

Oct 2010
miereneronaile said:
Im not going to keep that convo going, its to much wasted time for someone who thinks I am stupid, you dont deserve the effort.

Instead, I am simply going to point out that this '"Oh, congratulations on successfully animating something I've already seen in a completely average way." I don't think that's how anime should be rated.
'
Is possibly the most arrogant thing I have ever read. They didnt animate it thinking of you, sunshine. Using sarcasm to mock what they have created because you dont approve of its lack of originality just because you happened to watch it after other shows of the same setting is arrogant beyond belief.

You were the one who attacked my opinion, so don't tell me that I'm wasting your time when in fact it's the other way around.
So I should rate shows, thinking of how much other people enjoyed it? You're not making sense whatsoever. The fact that they "didn't animate the show for me" doesn't stop me from reflection my opinion in my ratings.
Also, look up arrogant.
Apr 4, 2012 11:37 AM
May 2010
'Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.'

I think that sums up what you said quite well, though I am not actually trying to insult you here. Im arrogant enough myself, so ye..

Attacking your opinion and telling you I disagree and trying to show why is not really the same thing. I admit once I saw you call me braindead I started getting a bit ticked off, but not really trying to attack anything here.

I do not think you should rate shows on how other people feel about them, I do think that complaining about an over used setting doesn't make much sense. First, it will achieve nothing. Second, you obviously do not dislike the setting, just the fact that its used so often. I could understand this more if you had watched more anime but its not like you have run out of shows set outside of schools so I find it a bit confusing that you feel so strongly about it.

In regards to how you rate shows I was simply trying to illustrate how its not fair to complain about a lack of originality and then rate shows that came after other shows higher than the one that aired first. I think that if you dislike the setting the shows that used the setting first deserve more credit than the ones that came later. I dont have a problem with the scores themselves, I just felt that if you were going to hate on the lack of originality it should show in your ratings. Again, I cant make you do that, nor do I expect you to change your mind because of me-I am just telling you what I think.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 4, 2012 11:50 AM

Mar 2012
Everything if you think about it isn't original if you think about it... Every Anime, Every movie, Book. I'm sure if you looked around on almost every single story or setting you'll find something earlyer than it with basically the same storyline. Instead of complaining on originality try to find something different in everything in general, something you like and watch it or read it or whatever.
Apr 4, 2012 12:11 PM

Oct 2010
@miereneronaile:
I'll make this short, because we've been at it for like 3 pages and it's getting irritating to say the least.
I really don't see how using sarcasm makes me arrogant but whatever, I couldn't care less tbh.
I don't CARE when the show was released. If it has nothing more to offer than boy meets girl, it's an average, fine at best anime. The shows aren't copying each other, so there's really no point in trying to figure out who came "first". What I rate it on is how WELL do they manage to make the story enjoyable in these conditions. If the latter shows succeed more, they deserve a better rating and vice versa.
And I've definitely not ran out of anime and I am still watching highschool based ones, but I'm slowly becoming very cynical about this, as they've not failed to disappoint me in the past.
Apr 4, 2012 12:21 PM
May 2010
I agree that what matters is which did a better job. My issue is that complaining about to many shows using the school setting is complaining about their lack of originality.

This is fact. You dislike the lack of originality. That means that, between the shows using the school setting, the ones that came first deserve extra credit over the ones that came later. As long as you find that the lack of originality is an issue this will continue to be true. You dont do that though, you ignore this issue entirely when rating. Now, ofcourse, you are free to do that if you want to. I dont mind. It IS a contradiction though. In one place(this thread) you are saying the lack of originality is a problem and in another(your list) you are ignoring which shows deserve credit for the ideas shown in them.

I guess your probably going to say 'I can rate how I want' again, but I think everything I said above is true /shrug.
Worships Asparagus.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

39 by kusairo »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

16 by TsutanaiFuun »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 4 hours ago

12 by NonAtmospheric »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

111 by logopolis »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.