Forum Settings
Forums

Why Must Alot of Anime Take Place in a School Setting?

New
Apr 3, 2012 9:47 AM

Mar 2012
Just started watching Ah! My Goddess and my eyes rolled back at episode 4 when ALL the cliches' hit me at one time.... most prominent of all, yet another anime with a school setting...... I mean, that hasn't been done before..... (Harem anime alone---- Clannad, Rosario + Vampire, Shuffle!, Girls Bravo, Demon King Daimao, and that's just harems off the top of my head)

With a background of a Goddess being with a young man with a considerable amount of bad luck in life, the first scenario they could think about putting them together in is school? And the first obstacle being jealous classmates trying to co<kblock the hero and a jealous stuck up girl trying to 1up the Goddess... Tenchi Muyo didn't need the whole school setting thing to be a crutch to have the show expand, they had good writers I guess

And on top of all they, all the classmates crowding Bel and our wimpy hero doesn't even say anything, or atleast state for all to hear, Bel is his girlfriend, I'm certain she wouldn't mind..... sigh

Ma1evolenceApr 3, 2012 9:52 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 3, 2012 9:50 AM
May 2010
I assume its simply because more teenagers watch this type of anime than anything else, though I am by no means an expert on why they would be doing things.

I also suspect that school/college/study in general is one of the simpler settings to give a constant excuse for all the characters to be near each other day after day. Yes, there are other ones(Military, easy example..) but none quite as easy to use as a school.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 9:52 AM

Mar 2012
miereneronaile said:
I assume its simply because more teenagers watch this type of anime than anything else, though I am by no means an expert on why they would be doing things.

I also suspect that school/college/study in general is one of the simpler settings to give a constant excuse for all the characters to be near each other day after day. Yes, there are other ones(Military, easy example..) but none quite as easy to use as a school.

Tenchi didn't need anything like that crap..... nor did Sekirei, even Naruto did something creative and made it a ninja academy

Let me make a couple examples

Girl's Bravo--- anime would have been great if ALL events too place in the alternate world instead of the real world. Have him go over there and get stuck instead of vice versa.

Shuffle--- make more episodes in regards to hero visiting the girl's respective domains, Demon World, God's World opposed to majority of the time spent in the Real World

I want them to think out of the box..... there is air out their, air helps them think
Ma1evolenceApr 3, 2012 9:56 AM
Apr 3, 2012 9:57 AM
May 2010
I didnt say they needed it, just that its a very easy way of doing it. The Naruto example you used it just a combination of military/school, the 2 things I mentioned. Sekirei didnt need it because it had something else drawing the characters together. Cant say anything about tenchi.

I wonder if its not because teenagers feel more comfortable watching a show set in a place they are used to, as well? I am really just throwing ideas out here, I am sure someone has a more solid one than I do.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 9:57 AM

Mar 2011
This question has been asked many a time before, and it will be asked many a time in the future, however...

It's because the target demographic of these shows are people in highschool, as miereneronaile said. They do this because it's easier for the people watching to imagine themselves in the situation, and so they can project themselves onto the events of the show better, or they can simply understand and empathize with the characters more.

You can come up with fantastical settings for Harem, but it is easier to write around a highschool rather than come up with a believable or interesting setting. The point of Harems are the girls, so in most cases not much effort is wasted on the producing a complicated setting. Sure they are many that are fantastical as well, like Highschool DxD or Ichiban Ushiro no Daimuou, but they are still centered around the school setting that people can relate to.
Apr 3, 2012 10:02 AM

Mar 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
This question has been asked many a time before, and it will be asked many a time in the future, however...

It's because the target demographic of these shows are people in highschool, as miereneronaile said. They do this because it's easier for the people watching to imagine themselves in the situation, and so they can project themselves onto the events of the show better, or they can simply understand and empathize with the characters more.

You can come up with fantastical settings for Harem, but it is easier to write around a highschool rather than come up with a believable or interesting setting. The point of Harems are the girls, so in most cases not much effort is wasted on the producing a complicated setting. Sure they are many that are fantastical as well, like Highschool DxD or Ichiban Ushiro no Daimuou, but they are still centered around the school setting that people can relate to.

As the Star Wars prequels have shown..... putting little kids in movies wont make little kids, Watch the movies.... pretty much if I see one more anime take place in a school, think Im giving up on anime for a while

Unless maybe if it's as good as Clannad
Apr 3, 2012 10:03 AM

Aug 2011
Because all Japanese are school students, no exceptions.
Apr 3, 2012 10:07 AM
May 2010
Ma1evolence said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

As the Star Wars prequels have shown..... putting little kids in movies wont make little kids, Watch the movies.... pretty much if I see one more anime take place in a school, think Im giving up on anime for a while

save yourself the time, give up now. Its not like I cant understand wanting more settings, and there are a lot of animes without schools... but ultimately stories about teenagers work better for teenages. Young adult novels in the western world being a good example.

I dont understand why you dont just manually avoid animes based in schools?
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 10:08 AM

Mar 2011
Ma1evolence said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

I could list a lot of examples where there have been very successful movies set in schools, but that doesn't prove anything does it? Neither do your examples. As you should be aware, movies can be crap, and they can be good. That has a large affect on whether people will actually see them.

You also seem to be severely limiting yourself if you can't find anything not in a highschool setting. Indeed, the fact it's set in a school shouldn't really matter, only the quality should.
Apr 3, 2012 10:15 AM

Mar 2012
Im not making this a debate on what's good and bad, Im making the argument that originality = unique quality while unoriginality = lazy slock most of the time.

For every 1 Clannad type show based on a highschool setting there are 10 crap anime based off a highschool setting
Apr 3, 2012 10:16 AM

Mar 2012
miereneronaile said:
Ma1evolence said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

save yourself the time, give up now. Its not like I cant understand wanting more settings, and there are a lot of animes without schools... but ultimately stories about teenagers work better for teenages. Young adult novels in the western world being a good example.

I dont understand why you dont just manually avoid animes based in schools?

When I was in highschool, the last thing I wanted to do when watching my shows, was think about highschool

I was recommended Ah! My Goddess, based on the title, how was I to assume its main setting would be a school?
Apr 3, 2012 10:20 AM
May 2010
Ma1evolence said:
Im not making this a debate on what's good and bad, Im making the argument that originality = unique quality while unoriginality = lazy slock most of the time.

For every 1 Clannad type show based on a highschool setting there are 10 crap anime based off a highschool setting

Being unoriginal isnt actually lazy, but I dont feel like your going to agree with me somehow.

Also, clannad is not even the best highschool based anime as far as I am concerned, so using it as a constant example doesnt really make much sense to me.

How would you know it was set in school. To quote the MAL synopsis for it

'Keiichi Morisato is looking forward to university life. But in reality, he has no luck in anything, and he has trouble with clubs, love, etc. '

Id say from that you can infer its going to be to do with school or uni life?

Also, I quite liked high school. I absolutely love watching shows based around it, as I miss the constant reason to be around my friends.. /shrug.
miereneronaileApr 3, 2012 10:23 AM
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
Most anime fans are young males and highschool is a very very important part of life in Japanese society. It's also pretty easy to write scenarios around.
Apr 3, 2012 10:28 AM

Mar 2012
miereneronaile said:
Ma1evolence said:

Being unoriginal isnt actually lazy, but I dont feel like your going to agree with me somehow.

Also, clannad is not even the best highschool based anime as far as I am concerned, so using it as a constant example doesnt really make much sense to me.

How would you know it was set in school. To quote the MAL synopsis for it

'Keiichi Morisato is looking forward to university life. But in reality, he has no luck in anything, and he has trouble with clubs, love, etc. '

Id say from that you can infer its going to be to do with school or uni life?

Didn't say Clannad was the best one, just one example of a quality highschool anime.

And I was recommended Ah! My Goddess. When I watch a show I just watch it and rate it accordingly, and just because he goes to school shouldn't indicate a large portion of the events should take place there. Tenchi went to school, but all the fun events occured majorly back home, or in space.... outside of the box.

When anime writers put characters in a school setting because it's "easier" for them to interact, then I believe it's lazy. Clannad, needed to be in a school setting, I truly believe that was the intention of making that anime. Ah! My Goddess is about a Goddess coming down to Earth to grant a lonely young man a single wish, there are so many things they could have done with that, but they decided to go the school route

It's like if they took Claymore, and in episode 4, making Araki go to school and Clare tagging along to ensure no Yoma kills him

Or like if they took Spice and Wolf, and in episode 4, making Lawrence go to Trading School and having Holo accompany him to ensure he passes
Apr 3, 2012 10:33 AM

Jan 2011
No imagination and fear of change.
Apr 3, 2012 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
Ma1evolence said:

For every good anime based on anything there's ten shit ones.
Apr 3, 2012 10:40 AM
May 2010
Ma1evolence said:

Didn't say Clannad was the best one, just one example of a quality highschool anime.

And I was recommended Ah! My Goddess. When I watch a show I just watch it and rate it accordingly, and just because he goes to school shouldn't indicate a large portion of the events should take place there. Tenchi went to school, but all the fun events occured majorly back home, or in space.... outside of the box.

When anime writers put characters in a school setting because it's "easier" for them to interact, then I believe it's lazy. Clannad, needed to be in a school setting, I truly believe that was the intention of making that anime. Ah! My Goddess is about a Goddess coming down to Earth to grant a lonely young man a single wish, there are so many things they could have done with that, but they decided to go the school route

It's like if they took Claymore, and in episode 4, making Araki go to school and Clare tagging along to ensure no Yoma kills him

Or like if they took Spice and Wolf, and in episode 4, making Lawrence go to Trading School and having Holo accompany him to ensure he passes

That is true, you did not say it was the best one, fair point.

I dont understand why you being recommended something has anything to do with your ability to find out if it is a school anime or not, tbh. If you dont want to watch animes with a lot of time inside a school, dont. Its that simple. I cant comment on tenchi having not seen it.

Its not lazy to use a tried and proven method. Its definitely not lazy to use the method that pleases the most customers. Sure, innovation is great but you should not expect it from every or even most animes.

Now, those examples.. Ah! My goddess is a show about a student. I dont know how you missed that and why you continue to ignore it, but I cant really stop you. Claymore, however, is a purely bloody action show that has bugger all to do with school. Those 2 situations are totally different. As for the spice and wolf one, I cant recall if lawrence was studying in any form during the show? I didnt think he was, and if he wasnt your point is totally invalid again..
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 10:51 AM

Aug 2009
Ma1evolence said:
Just started watching Ah! My Goddess and my eyes rolled back at episode 4 when ALL the cliches' hit me at one time.... most prominent of all, yet another anime with a school setting...... I mean, that hasn't been done before..... (Harem anime alone---- Clannad, Rosario + Vampire, Shuffle!, Girls Bravo, Demon King Daimao, and that's just harems off the top of my head)

You do realize that Ah My Goddess is older than those series you listed? The manga started in 1988. Anime has been taking place in schools for a long time. This is nothing new.The reason many anime take place in schools or with school age characters is because it is school aged viewers than the anime is targeted mostly towards.

Tenchi Muyo didn't need the whole school setting thing to be a crutch to have the show expand, they had good writers I guess

A few episodes did take place in a School.At least in the in the Ryo-Ohki series and Tenchi in Tokyo series. Its been awhile since I seen Tenchi Universe series,so I am not sure if any of those episodes take place in a school.
Apr 3, 2012 10:57 AM

Mar 2012
miereneronaile said:
Ma1evolence said:

I dont understand why you being recommended something has anything to do with your ability to find out if it is a school anime or not, tbh. If you dont want to watch animes with a lot of time inside a school, dont. Its that simple. I cant comment on tenchi having not seen it.

Its not lazy to use a tried and proven method. Its definitely not lazy to use the method that pleases the most customers. Sure, innovation is great but you should not expect it from every or even most animes.

Now, those examples.. Ah! My goddess is a show about a student. I dont know how you missed that and why you continue to ignore it, but I cant really stop you. Claymore, however, is a purely bloody action show that has bugger all to do with school. Those 2 situations are totally different. As for the spice and wolf one, I cant recall if lawrence was studying in any form during the show? I didnt think he was, and if he wasnt your point is totally invalid again..

None of which is invalid..... I think you missed my point entirely. The main plot of the story wasn't him being a student, its the Goddess coming down and giving this poor guy a wish. That, is the main plot, events after that fact could have went anyway they wished. A description is based on what event occur in an anime, if it didn't involve school then Ah! My Goddess wouldn't of had that in the decription correct?

Don't think you'll ever comprehend what Im saying

If Ah! My Goddess didn't involve school, what would have been its description?

A Goddess comes down to Earth gives a lonely young man a single wish for doing a good deed and adventures between them escalate when the wish is fulfilled

Since Spice and Wolf and Claymore "Didn't" have anything to do with school, obviously they wouldn't have it in their descriptions.

Think outside of the box for a moment and understand what I'm trying to say instead of intentionally trying to make an argument

They could have made school plots at episode 4 of any one of those animes but they didn't, why? Because they had the creativity not to go the easy, proven route. Hence, why they don't involve going to school in the descriptions. My god, is it so hard to ask you to think for a moment?
Ma1evolenceApr 3, 2012 11:04 AM
Apr 3, 2012 11:02 AM

Sep 2010
JonyJC said:

It is what works. These people are out to both make money and entertain their local audience. If their local audience likes something then that will be what dominates the media. Thinking outside the box works great when playing around with theories but when you start using other people's money to make products you're going to have to do things that increase the chances of those people making money from their investment.

It makes sense when you think about it.
Keyword being think.

Apr 3, 2012 11:04 AM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
JonyJC said:

It is what works. These people are out to both make money and entertain their local audience. If their local audience likes something then that will be what dominates the media. Thinking outside the box works great when playing around with theories but when you start using other people's money to make products you're going to have to do things that increase the chances of those people making money from their investment.

It makes sense when you think about it.
Keyword being think.

That kind of thinking is what made EA their money... but gave them the stigma of being the "rehash" company
Apr 3, 2012 11:05 AM
May 2010
Ma1evolence said:

None of which is invalid..... where in that description of Ah! My Goddess did it say Keiichi was a student; and I think you missed my point entirely. The main plot of the story wasn't him being a student, its the Goddess coming down and giving this poor guy a wish. That, is the main plot, events after that fact could have went anyway they wished. A description is based on what event occur in an anime, if it didn't involve school then Ah! My Goddess wouldn't of had that in the decription correct?

A Goddess comes down to Earth gives a lonely young man a single wish for doing a good deed and adventures between them escalate when the wish is fulfilled

Since Spice and Wolf and Claymore "Didn't" have anything to do with school, obviously they wouldn't have it in their descriptions.

Think outside of the box for a moment and understand what I'm trying to say instead of intentionally trying to make an argument

First, this hints at his being a student 'Keiichi Morisato is looking forward to university life' as does 'trouble with clubs, 'watching the dorm while his sempai' and this one to. The main point was not him being a student. Correct. The SETTING though was a down on his luck young man. Young people are... normally students. The synopsis comes so close to outright stating he is a student to read it and not realize would make you stupid. Literally. I wonder if you even realize that 'Plot' and 'Setting' are 2 different things..

Its description would have been very similar, except without references to 'dorms' and 'sempais' and 'university' and 'clubs'. I mean, how could you miss all these things.. Im not trying to be rude, but saying 'where in that description did it say he was a student' has kind of blown my mind.

I may not really understand your point-which really just seems to be 'I dont like school based anime why wont they do something else' which is fine and all, but we have explained why they dont, and pointed out how you could simply avoid them if you dont like them. What more can I say 0o?
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 11:05 AM

Mar 2012
miereneronaile said:
Ma1evolence said:

None of which is invalid..... I think you missed my point entirely. The main plot of the story wasn't him being a student, its the Goddess coming down and giving this poor guy a wish. That, is the main plot, events after that fact could have went anyway they wished. A description is based on what event occur in an anime, if it didn't involve school then Ah! My Goddess wouldn't of had that in the decription correct?

They could have made school plots at episode 4 of any one of those animes but they didn't, why? Because they had the creativity not to go the easy, proven route. Hence, why they don't involve going to school in the descriptions. My god, is it so hard to ask you to think for a moment?

My point being is, your arguing because why? Highschool plots are over done and cliche? Am I wrong? If not, you're just arguing because you don't like what I have to say about the matter and just want to be combative or in some sick way, win an argument

Are highschool anime overdone? Are they cliche? If not, continue arguing, if so, get off my back
Ma1evolenceApr 3, 2012 11:09 AM
Apr 3, 2012 11:12 AM

Jan 2010
Easy to work with and easy to relate to. Not to say that a school setting can't be interesting. Baka to Test had a pretty interesting school system, and Moyashimon had a really cool school festival.
Apr 3, 2012 11:14 AM

Sep 2010
Ma1evolence said:

That kind of thinking is what made EA their money... but gave them the stigma of being the "rehash" company

No that kind of thinking is what business is all about; meeting a market's need.

EA being a specific example is doing less considering what gamers want and more attempting to force gamers to accept EA's vision.

The change you are advocating happens naturally when the market demands, not outsiders saying what they are tired of. Will American TV ever stop making crime dramas? Probably not anytime soon and neither will anime stop putting protagonists in school settings.
Anime_NameApr 3, 2012 11:17 AM

Apr 3, 2012 11:14 AM
May 2010
I never said the PLOT was him being a student. The SETTING is him being a student. Sweet mother of-- This is frustrating. A description is based on everything. Not just the plot. When you have grasped this fact, we might be able to get somewhere.

If it didnt involve school its description would have been the same but without a bunch of references to school. You think its overdone? Ok. You dont like it? Ok? Its cliche? Ok. Should they stop? No. Absolutely not. I love it. The japanese seem to love it. Why the hell would they stop? If I could id take another thousand 12 episode generic romantic harems, thanks, I am running out. You can say whatever you want about the matter, but I think your wrong, and will happily tell you so.

Also, how about this. I think shows with any forms of humans are overdone and cliche. Infact, from now on if I come across any shows with humans in them I might just have to quit anime! So bloody cliche.
^^ Things are normally done the way they are done for a reason. Yes, it can be great to step outside those bounds. No, I do not want every damn anime to do so.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 11:18 AM

Mar 2012
Shocked said:
Easy to work with and easy to relate to. Not to say that a school setting can't be interesting. Baka to Test had a pretty interesting school system, and Moyashimon had a really cool school festival.

Exactly, but the intent of that anime, and anime like Clannad was that it was about school and life at school. Whereas the main plot of Ah! Goddess is that a Goddess comes down an grants this lonely young man a single wish for doing a good deed... where they went from there was either, "The original way" or "The cliche way"
Apr 3, 2012 11:20 AM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

No that kind of thinking is what business is all about; meeting a market's need.

EA being a specific example is doing less considering what gamers want and more attempting to force gamers to accept EA's vision.

The change you are advocating happens naturally when the market demands, not outsiders saying what they are tired of. Will American TV ever stop making crime dramas? Probably not anytime soon and neither will anime stop putting protagonists in school settings.

I know that's what business is all about, but in comparison of lets say Bioware, to Bungie, there is the notion of rehashing one idea 5 times and making money comparitive to creating a new idea every time, make large sums of money and also being a pioneer of innovation (storywise)
Apr 3, 2012 11:21 AM
May 2010
Ma1evolence said:
Shocked said:

Exactly, but the intent of that anime, and anime like Clannad was that it was about school and life at school. Whereas the main plot of Ah! Goddess is that a Goddess comes down an grants this lonely young man a single wish for doing a good deed... where they went from there was either, "The original way" or "The cliche way"

You didnt like the setting of Ah! My goddess. We get that. As I have pointed out, the PLOT of Ah! My goddess was an angel granting a wish. The setting was that mans home and his school. Do you understand yet? I get that you do not LIKE the setting, and thats fine, but far out.Ye, they could have flown off into space together on a spaceship made of love and bubbles of happiness but why bother, when school works so well..

Ma1evolence said:
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

I know that's what business is all about, but in comparison of lets say Bioware, to Bungie, there is the notion of rehashing one idea 5 times and making money comparitive to creating a new idea every time, make large sums of money and also being a pioneer of innovation (storywise)
Everyone developer doing this is a bad idea. A very bad idea.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 11:26 AM

Mar 2012
miereneronaile said:
Ma1evolence said:
Shocked said:

You didnt like the setting of Ah! My goddess. We get that. As I have pointed out, the PLOT of Ah! My goddess was an angel granting a wish. The setting was that mans home and his school. Do you understand yet? I get that you do not LIKE the setting, and thats fine, but far out.Ye, they could have flown off into space together on a spaceship made of love and bubbles of happiness but why bother, when school works so well..

No I perfectly understand that your repeating your same point, excluding my own and trying to be heard, frankly, if you wont do me the same courtesy I won't grant you the same. And seeing as how your making track marks over the same patch of road, what are you trying to gain in all this, forcing me to agree to your point in all this? No, your point is simply argue with my critique, my opinion, and even though I have humored you and your opinion, your still continuously trying to force your opinion down my throat, be happy I gave you the time to actually reply to your trolling

Is putting a school setting in an anime cliche? Yes...
Does the main plot of Ah! My Goddess require that cliche? No

Apr 3, 2012 11:27 AM

Sep 2010
Ma1evolence said:

I know that's what business is all about...

Then why bother making a topic about the business of anime if you truly understand what business if all about

Apr 3, 2012 11:29 AM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

Then why bother making a topic about the business of anime if you truly understand what business if all about

no no, comparing Bioware to Bungie
Apr 3, 2012 11:31 AM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

Because when Im watching an anime, I don't think to myself, "Man, they're doing everything perfectly to make money"
Apr 3, 2012 11:34 AM
May 2010
You used a singular word to describe how many points you had here, so you have been repeating the same point for one more post than me, I would guess. Kinda silly to complain about me doing it. What do I have to gain? Absolutely nothing. I am simply talking to you about something. Your the one getting upset when I dont agree with you. My point is that your critique(your original post) can be summed up with

'I think the school setting has been used to much, why dont more people use a different setting' and the reason for this is that 'Its unoriginal and lazy'

My point is that 'doing what works is not inherently lazy, and it hasnt been used to much. I still enjoy every new one I can find' My reasoning being 'this is quite clearly still a very popular setting for the japanese, as well as being very well suited to the target audience'

Also, disagreeing with you and trolling are different things. I dont care about YOUR time especially much, but to have this conversation I have stopped watching anime and started sitting here doing little but typing and waiting for a reply. Trolling? Get lost.

Was the setting necessary to it? No. Did it work well? Fairly. Did it suit the target audience? Yes. Is this setting still quite clearly popular in japan? Yes. Is this good business, and therefor exactly what they should have done realistically? Yes.

Also, cliches are not inherently bad.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 11:36 AM

Sep 2010
Ma1evolence said:
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

no no, comparing Bioware to Bungie

No, no. You said "I know that's what business is all about" the bit about Bioware and Bungie was a separate and contrary statement because you used the word 'but".

Apr 3, 2012 11:39 AM
May 2010
You know, I still dont understand why you dont just avoid school based animes if you dont like them 0o.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
No I perfectly understand that your repeating your same point, excluding my own and trying to be heard, frankly, if you wont do me the same courtesy I won't grant you the same. And seeing as how your making track marks over the same patch of road, what are you trying to gain in all this, forcing me to agree to your point in all this? No, your point is simply argue with my critique, my opinion, and even though I have humored you and your opinion, your still continuously trying to force your opinion down my throat, be happy I gave you the time to actually reply to your trolling

When you use an overused setting simply for the fact its a sure method everyone else uses is a lazy way unless the main intention was to make an anime about school life.

When the story is about one thing, yet the setting of the story is what they believe is a proven method, is just lowering themselves from thinking up an original plot and instead making the majority of events represent school events.

I've seen your other posts on other threads. And all your replies I've seen to other people are "If they something is Red, you say it's blue" Either you're naturally argumentative, or just wanting attention.

I made several points, and you can disagree with me, that's fine. But at the extent you've been taking it, seems you're hell bent to discredit my opinion for some reason
Apr 3, 2012 11:42 AM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

?? Wasn't a thread about business, was an opinion about cliche.... are you trolling?
Apr 3, 2012 11:43 AM

Sep 2010
Ma1evolence said:
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

Because when Im watching an anime, I don't think to myself, "Man, they're doing everything perfectly to make money"

I never said anything about perfect but as long as you understand what money is and that anime industry is a for-profit business then you don't have to actively think about why a business generally follows certain patterns.

Apr 3, 2012 11:44 AM

Sep 2010
Ma1evolence said:
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

?? Wasn't a thread about business, was an opinion about cliche.... are you trolling?

And yet business is the answer you seek.
Answering your question isn't trolling.

Apr 3, 2012 11:47 AM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:
Anime_Name said:
Ma1evolence said:

I never said anything about perfect but as long as you understand what money is and that anime industry is a for-profit business then you don't have to actively think about why a business generally follows certain patterns.

(-____-) somehow this has turned from an opinion thread about a cliche, to discussion about money making, anime style...... I don't look at an anime and think to myself, Claymore would make alot more money by shoving in a school setting; I'm referring to "would that simply be overusing the same cliche again.... why?"
Apr 3, 2012 11:49 AM
May 2010
Using what works is not lazy. I could give you a giant bunch of examples of why this is so(For example, you COULD bring me those messages hand written, why dont you? your so lazy..)

And no, using a proven method is not lowering themselves. Its the status quo. The norm. You dont 'lower' yourself by using the normal method. Sure, you dont raise yourself higher either, but you do not lower yourself. Your expecting every anime to somehow raise the bar, be original, do something clever. This is an unrealistic expectation. There is a limit(that humanity has already hit, btw) on just how many different settings and stories we can make. You can make variations of them, sure, but its all been done before on the basic levels.

Im not argumentative. I suppose you could say I want attention, because I want to discuss things. That is kind of the point of a forum. I wont deny I disagree with most people on most things though.

Btw, I just went and checked the character profile for the main character of ah my goddess and well 'Keiichi is a student of the Nekomi Institute of Technology ' He is not, infact, going to 'school' as far as I can tell.

Btw, anime_name is saying that the answer to the question asked in the threads name is business, before you misunderstand somehow(At least I think he is, if not I apologize for it..)
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 11:52 AM

Sep 2011
Average audience around the age of attending school still perhaps? That includes college and university so calm down older people. (just my guess) Plus its something we all can relate to, because I'm assuming we all went to school.
Apr 3, 2012 11:55 AM

Mar 2012
miereneronaile said:
Using what works is not lazy. I could give you a giant bunch of examples of why this is so(For example, you COULD bring me those messages hand written, why dont you? your so lazy..)

And no, using a proven method is not lowering themselves. Its the status quo. The norm. You dont 'lower' yourself by using the normal method. Sure, you dont raise yourself higher either, but you do not lower yourself. Your expecting every anime to somehow raise the bar, be original, do something clever. This is an unrealistic expectation. There is a limit(that humanity has already hit, btw) on just how many different settings and stories we can make. You can make variations of them, sure, but its all been done before on the basic levels.

Im not argumentative. I suppose you could say I want attention, because I want to discuss things. That is kind of the point of a forum. I wont deny I disagree with most people on most things though.

Btw, I just went and checked the character profile for the main character of ah my goddess and well 'Keiichi is a student of the Nekomi Institute of Technology ' He is not, infact, going to 'school' as far as I can tell.

Btw, anime_name is saying that the answer to the question asked in the threads name is business, before you misunderstand somehow(At least I think he is, if not I apologize for it..)

Think you're still missing my point, being a student doesn't necessarily mean the plot has to be about school... refer to Tenchi Muyo for a visual example.

And that's not the kind of attention I'm referring to, there is making an opinion and trying to shove your opinion in other ppl's faces. Im stating mine.

And I'll restate my same opinion how many ever times because it still holds merit.

When you use an overused setting simply for the fact its a sure method everyone else uses is a lazy way unless the main intention was to make an anime about school life.

When the story is about one thing, yet the setting of the story is what they believe is a proven method, is just lowering themselves from thinking up an original plot and instead making the majority of events represent school events.

I've seen your other posts on other threads. And all your replies I've seen to other people are "If they something is Red, you say it's blue" Either you're naturally argumentative, or just wanting attention.

I made several points, and you can disagree with me, that's fine. But at the extent you've been taking it, seems you're hell bent to discredit my opinion for some reason
Apr 3, 2012 11:57 AM

Mar 2012
OriginANIME said:
Average audience around the age of attending school still perhaps? That includes college and university so calm down older people. (just my guess) Plus its something we all can relate to, because I'm assuming we all went to school.

Just because a story is about kids, doesn't mean they have to put kids in the story to make kids interested to watch it, coming home from school, thinking about highschool is the last thing on my mind I wish to think about
Apr 3, 2012 12:01 PM

Sep 2010
Ma1evolence said:

(-____-) somehow this has turned from an opinion thread about a cliche, to discussion about money making, anime style...... I don't look at an anime and think to myself, Claymore would make alot more money by shoving in a school setting; I'm referring to "would that simply be overusing the same cliche again.... why?"

I said patterns in order to avoid the derogatory conceptions a word like cliche has. If this thread is spiraling downward it is because of how emotional you are being because you are satisfied with an answer to your question.

Could CLaymore have made more money by changing the setting, maybe but that is useless and irrelevant thinking as viewer. What I am doing it merely pointing out that anime producers decide what audience they are targeting and try to use concepts that target audience will enjoy. So an anime based on medieval times, fighting demons, with adult characters looks to be an acceptable setup for that kind of anime. The amount of anime that have school as a setting doesn't mean school settings works best all the time. It just means a school setting is a proven and successful setting to build a story around.

Apr 3, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 2010
Ma1evolence said:
OriginANIME said:

Just because a story is about kids, doesn't mean they have to put kids in the story to make kids interested to watch it, coming home from school, thinking about highschool is the last thing on my mind I wish to think about

And yet it works.

Apr 3, 2012 12:03 PM
May 2010
Are you serious? sigh. ok. Calm.
Its a cliche. So what? what is your point? Maybe they thought it DID require that cliche to be sufficiently effective at making money? Did you consider that?

Ma1evolence said:

This is not true. To be lazy, they need to do a somehow lesser job than what normally gets done and what is generally accepted. Just because they arent actively improving or coming up with new ideas does not mean they are lazy. It simply means they are maintaining the current state of affairs because it works. That is their job. Make money. Not impress you, or me, or anyone else with their clever new ideas.

Ma1evolence said:

Again, this is blatantly untrue. Not raising the bar and lowering the bar are 2 different things. My guess is you have absolutely no comprehension of how hard it would be to think up a totally new setting every single time they made an anime. This thread certainly suggests so.

Im ignoring the rest because its effectively just attacks on me.
Worships Asparagus.
Apr 3, 2012 12:10 PM

Sep 2011
Ma1evolence said:

The thread title is a question.

"Why Must Alot of Anime Take Place in a School Setting?"

They "must not" have to, but a reason that they "do" might be because:

Most series should have some kind of appeal in order to be green-lit for an animated show. This would probably improve viewership and sales. This is important since you need financial backing to produce this stuff.

A way to improve appeal is to use familiar settings or plot devices that have been reliably successful. Reinventing the wheel is risky.

Series that appeal = most likely higher viewership, higher sales, higher chance for more projects for the original writer/mangaka/staff-in-general.

And you'll probably see more daring works from more established people.
Apr 3, 2012 1:25 PM

Sep 2011
Ma1evolence said:
OriginANIME said:

Then don't watch a "school life" Anime.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

6 by traed »»
10 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 54 minutes ago

16 by Jonas-K »»
3 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

51 by EastIndiaCompany »»
3 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 5 hours ago

8 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

98 by traed »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.