Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 8, 2015 1:13 PM

Mar 2015
newspaper underwater?

god damn that story was so touching
Jul 30, 2016 9:52 PM

Mar 2015
Yeah pretty sure Arlong's the only one who doesn't approve and has a biased hatred for humans
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 30, 2016 4:40 PM
Nov 2015
541 episodes and one piece still manages to top itself in the emotional department.
Apr 4, 2017 8:37 PM

May 2014
That girl isn't who I think she is, right??
She is, isn't she!!
Wow, I had no idea she had ties with Jinbe and the Sun pirates...the way this series just links everything in the most unexpected ways never seizes to surprise me.

This was a pretty heavy episode, especially with Koala's reactions (or lack of). Naturally, Arlong- who's way to overcome with hatred and anger, is not gonna like the direction the Sun pirates are going in one bit.
He never wanted to revolutionize the world's ideals regarding fishmen, he just wanted to sate his thirst for vengeance.

Great episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2017 3:31 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
This was a really emotional episode

Oct 19, 2017 7:09 AM

Feb 2013
Too emotional, poor Koala, she suffered a lot.
I want all Tenryuubito to have a slow and painful death.
Jul 22, 2019 9:54 PM

Jun 2016
I admit I was not sold on Otohime. Her characterization was far too heavy handed for my taste. Fisher Tiger's on the other hand just made me cry my eyes out. But this whole episode was brilliant so let's start with the little things. It was really cool to see the Sun Pirates in action as it showed us just how scary a fishman pirate ship is. They have so much mobility normal humans don't have. Seeing the Hordy kids react to the wanted posters like the Straw Hats friends do when theirs get updated was super endearing. It also showed us the interesting dynamic of Fisher Tiger, Arlong, and Jimbei. Arlong was always brutal and wanted to slaughter and execute humans, Jimbei was brutal with them and without faith but wasn't killing them, and Fisher Tiger was sparing all of them. It sets up a sensei and student relationship, where Fisher Tiger is trying to lead them to one side, spare all humans, despite his students anger. And with two students, one goes the way of peace and violence only when necessary much like Tiger, as one goes to kill everyone. It's an age old trope but it's an effective one and it's always fascinating to see two brothers separate so severely.

Kizaru is back, and he is a vice admiral at this time. I'm interested in how he will act given how long ago this was as to see how he's changed over time. And, him being one of my favorite characters I was just so excited to see his name in the title, even if he's the one to take down Fisher Tiger..

Now, the meat, Fisher Tiger and Koala... where to start. Firstly, contrary to Otohime where we got to understand everything we know about her in one melodramatic sequence, we've been slowly but steadily been understanding Fisher Tiger through these last two episodes. He's a serious and strong leader who has lots of empathy. On a journey when he saw the slaves he felt so much rage that despite believing in Otohime's cause he felt he had to step up and he acted risking his life. He has some regret for getting in her way as he knows even non fatal violence will help perpetuate a cycle of hate and push both groups understanding each other farther back. There's a level of nuance there that I love, further, despite having empathy for human slaves and believing they're not all bad(as he believes Otohime), he can understand Arlong's rage first hand. He stops himself but he feels he almost has no right at all to tell Arlong not to kill anyone. He can empathize with human haters and humans alike. He has enough empathy to make a human one of their own as she too was a slave who suffered like many of the Sun Pirates did, but he also probably holds the same rage as Arlong. He's able to do the dirty work but doesn't go too far. All in all he is a strong man.

His actions with Koala really got to me. Her character in general is so sad. She was with a tribe of freed slave humans and she mustered up the courage to join the Sun Pirates to see a mother she probably hasn't seen forever. But being a slave in those conditions that we have partially seen, she's been traumatized, she feels she has to force a smile at all times, she feels she has to work constantly and never cry. I can only imagine the realization she had when she stopped crying to save her own life. Her stiff smile hurts to look at when you think of it like that. And, Tiger changed her brand into their own, making her one of them and altering the permanent marking of her horrible past and making it represent a place where she was finally safe. He shook her yelling "it's okay to cry!" full of empathy, not wanting to make anyone feel like the slaves that his own people are so commonly taken to be. It was beautiful, and I love that he's not a wholly empathetic person, he's able to brand a kid without hesitation, he can hardly look at his own reflection due to how he relates with Arlong, but all and all he sees her as one of them and fought to make her realize that. I'm definitely sold on what a great man he was, and not even in a normal flashback way where the characters feel slightly mythological, Tiger feels completely, for lack of a better word, human.

P.S. Was I the only one who thought Arlong smiling with his weapon down as everyone cheered to accept Koala, take her to their hometown, and use violence only when necessary was a sign that Arlong supported this? To me when I saw that, I had thought that Arlong didn't want to be seen supporting this with the others as he's so adamant about killing humans- but he secretly supported Tiger's words and cause. I wouldn't be surprised if he was slowly accepting Tiger's plea about not killing and it was Tiger's death which sent him backwards.
Dec 16, 2019 8:55 PM
Aug 2017
That little girls smile was heartbreaking shiiee, Fisher Tiger was such an iconic figure but dam im starting to feel where this going. Arlong took it too far though but i dont blame him.
Aug 30, 2020 4:53 AM

Mar 2020
This is one of the episodes that reminds me why I love One Piece dude. It manages to move you about a random character you never met.
Dec 12, 2020 8:44 AM
Nov 2019
This episode had the tears flowing. I really enjoyed learning more about Tiger, Arlong, and Jimbei.
Dec 21, 2020 7:29 PM

May 2016
As much trouble as it causes, Fisher Tiger's revolution against the tyrannical Celestial Dragons is a cause that is most noble. His intentions to free the slaves and not be like the vile humans that enslaved them is a very admirable thing and it looks like that the especially violent fishmen like Arlong and Hordy were actually blinded by their ideals and hatred against humans to see the point behind Tiger's actions.

Otohime and Tiger's methods may be different from each other but both has the best interests of everyone in mind. Abolishing slavery while calling for coexistence are both vital steps for a better future for all. I wonder how things turned out for the two, though.

Tiger's way of reassuring Koala that it's finally okay to cry made me cry as well, not gonna lie. I wonder if we'll be seeing more of her later on~

Jun 3, 2021 10:25 AM

Jun 2019
The queen is so optimistic. I love her. Also, this little girl always makes me cry. How traumatized can you be.
Jun 29, 2021 10:49 PM
Nov 2019
Such a beautiful episode, I can't stop crying
Sep 21, 2021 12:28 PM
Jan 2019

Episode: 541
Time: 4:22
Jun 29, 2022 8:54 AM

Jan 2021
Fisher Tiger was an understanding dude
Sep 22, 2022 7:30 PM
May 2021
Poor girl

I can't control myself
Nov 12, 2022 9:28 AM
Apr 2022
it was very emotional at the end, almost made me tear up.
Jun 28, 2023 10:06 AM
Oct 2019
Slavery is okay but freeing slaves is a crime?
Celestial Dragons really fcked up.

Poor Koala.
"It's okay to cry" that line hit me in the kokoro.
Oct 23, 2023 12:26 PM

Oct 2015
Nah, I shed tears in this one.

Absoutely fcked up thing about Koala. Even Arlong stopped hitting her.
Dec 14, 2023 1:14 PM

Mar 2017
Best episode in this back story so far. Fisher Tiger is a cool dude.

Definitely got emotional at the end there.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 986 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Aug 7, 2021

84 by ETHANDARYL420 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 982 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FMmatron - Jul 10, 2021

146 by yoko-_- »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 6

166 by ImSOCraziRandom »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 145 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VARIAchan - Jan 1, 2010

54 by kejora »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 360 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mulderman - Jul 4, 2008

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.