Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 6, 2008 6:39 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode. The Tachikoma's are awesome. Grenade launcher and Chain guns ftw.
Oct 14, 2008 3:08 PM

Apr 2008
pretty good. def liked the tachikomas. i thought at first they would ruin it, but i find them cute and funny ice breaker for a serious show. this series also turned out to be kinda episodic, more so than i thought it would. maybe it'll get deeper later

Apr 20, 2009 10:45 PM

Jan 2009
Ok i figured out that the real Eka was the old woman even before Kusanagi could tell that to Batou and Togusa, the only thing that i rlly didn't understand is: Well, she was kidnapped 16 years ago with the age of 16, so why she aged that fast? Was because of the new cyberbrain? :/ confused there. Anyway good action there, Tachikoma hax as always.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
May 6, 2009 4:38 AM

Mar 2009
Good action and enjoyed the story

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Jun 13, 2009 3:15 PM

Oct 2007
My favourite episode so far, I think. And I love the Tachikoma. So adorable.
Jun 13, 2009 11:20 PM

May 2008
By the episode's end when both mother and child were taken away for police custody, Togusa said something like this to the Major: "Is it true that I am really older than her?". Now my question, why was the soldier who was supposed to rescue her got so messed up in the head? Also, why did the original kidnapped girl age so fast that she should only be nearing 30 but in fact she looked like the same age bracket as Chief Aramaki?

That's what has been bugging me with this episode!
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
Jun 26, 2009 4:28 AM

Nov 2007
Awesome battle this episode loved seeing their flawless teamwork and more Tachikoma awesomeness xD
Aug 5, 2009 2:31 PM

Jul 2008
those tachikomas are very useful aren't they?
so in the end the little girl was the leader, and the old lady was her mom who was kidnapped 16 years ago? weird.
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Nov 15, 2009 8:21 PM

Apr 2009
I too would like to know the reason behind her quick aging. Makes no sense.
Nov 18, 2009 3:59 PM

Aug 2008
Yeh no sense.... I dunno what the fuck was up with her... Well anyways, just as I predicted, the episode was really interestin.... And man it had a lot more action than I expected.... First Classs Action!!!! I loved the Tachikomas too,.... Who would though those guys would be so helpful... and sturdy.... you saw? One of them had tons of wholes through its armor and it was still as lively as they always are XD....

the girl.... She was definitely cute.... but just as everyone else said... it doesn't make sense... Why she aged so quickly... did she ate soemthing that produced that? The Radiation was the guilty? Or the Cyber-brain... or a combo of the aboves... or some other stuff... I'm intrigued :P... Yes the show is episodic... but it's still good man :p

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2009 9:49 AM

Oct 2009
Leibstandarte said:
By the episode's end when both mother and child were taken away for police custody, Togusa said something like this to the Major: "Is it true that I am really older than her?". Now my question, why was the soldier who was supposed to rescue her got so messed up in the head? Also, why did the original kidnapped girl age so fast that she should only be nearing 30 but in fact she looked like the same age bracket as Chief Aramaki?

"And then there's the question of how a 10 year old girl aged into an old woman 16 years after her kidnapping. I don't even want to imagine what happened in that time."

Basically the girl got kidnapped when she was 10 and was probably raped and tortured like hot cakes for 16 years. I guess they decided not to elaborate on it in the name of good taste. :S
Dec 27, 2009 5:47 PM

May 2009
It's kinda tough to imagine what happened to that girl after she was kidnapped.. Even though some questions were left unanswered this was a great episode. Loved the action, and the Tachikoma are hilarious as always.
Oct 4, 2010 11:51 PM

May 2010
JuicyBuddha said:
Leibstandarte said:

"And then there's the question of how a 10 year old girl aged into an old woman 16 years after her kidnapping. I don't even want to imagine what happened in that time."

Basically the girl got kidnapped when she was 10 and was probably raped and tortured like hot cakes for 16 years. I guess they decided not to elaborate on it in the name of good taste. :S

I was curious to find out what happened, then I read your logical post...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 8, 2010 1:33 PM

Jun 2009
One of the reasons this episode, and many other SAC episodes, works is because of the sense of ambiguity. Sometimes, leaving the answers up to the viewer is the best possible type of writing. That said, all signs do point to what JuicyBuddha said.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 24, 2011 2:12 PM

Nov 2009
aero said:
Good episode. The Tachikoma's are awesome. Grenade launcher and Chain guns ftw.

A lot of great action towards the end of the episode. The Tachikoma's really are awesome, I like their personalities and they're always funny :P
Aug 29, 2011 1:10 AM

Jul 2009
love the action, i don't want to imagine what could have happened to her in those 16 years.

also for those who want to know why the solider snap, well he basically tried to link with the old Eka and basically showed what horrible things she's been through. that's why you see him saying "erase" them. as batou said it was the memories he wanted to get rid of.

as for the accelerating age, must be some kind of drug or any radioactive material given to her. though i don't know why the young eka(or daughter of her) looks healthy and strong. who bear her we don't even know.
Nov 17, 2011 3:07 AM

Feb 2009
LOL at the Tachikomas for craving chaos and bloodshed!

And I'm freaking loving how some of these episodes are so open-ended leaving this mystery in the air and the chance for the viewer's own interpretation to fill in the holes. This is the perfect Action Sci-F. I haven't had so much fun with this genre since I watched The Terminator movies.

And... HOW AMAZING IS THE FREAKING SOUNDTRACK?? Including OP and ED, the more I listen to them the more they get in my head.
Mar 3, 2012 5:51 PM

Aug 2010
Even so, being raped and tortured for 16 years doesn't make you age to the point where you turn into an old lady.
Jun 5, 2012 5:17 PM

Jul 2011
JuicyBuddha said:

Yeah, I thought that as well... poor girl. :(
Gosh, and she was kidnapped 16 years ago when she was 10. Her daughter looks about 16. D:
Go Tachikoma! Gun them down!!

insan3soldiern said:
One of the reasons this episode, and many other SAC episodes, works is because of the sense of ambiguity. Sometimes, leaving the answers up to the viewer is the best possible type of writing. That said, all signs do point to what JuicyBuddha said.

I love that about Standalone Complex.
Jul 12, 2012 4:17 AM

Jan 2012
JuicyBuddha said:
Leibstandarte said:

Yeah, that's what I got out of it to. Pretty horrible thing that happened to that girl. What I don't get is why her daughter became the leader of the group. I thought it pretty dark when Batou asked that same question and the Major just said he could hook up to her. I laughed and then immediately felt bad.

Great action there near the end. The tachikoma's were kicking ass and taking names and I loved it when Saito was all like "I got this" and took the dude out.
Oct 6, 2012 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
They might not have wanted to know, but ME the viewer wants to know what actually happened! I want at least one of them to link up! D=

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 17, 2012 12:08 AM

Apr 2011
I am warming up to Motoko character, she such a strong lady and has been through a lot. Batou pass on linking up with the old lady, because she experiment so much in the past 16 years and only Motoko knows.
Oct 23, 2012 10:47 PM

May 2012
Love the action!! More gunfights!!! And the Tachikomas are so fun to watch :)
Dec 21, 2012 11:20 AM

May 2012
This is the action I was waiting for! Great episode and damn I keep loving those small tanks more and more!
Dec 22, 2012 9:01 AM

Jan 2012
I can't get enough of Tachikoma lol. The episode in general was good, interesting case.

Dec 29, 2012 5:51 AM
Sep 2007
- soldier went nuts because he connected to aged Eka and saw everything she experienced in those 16 years since she was kidnapped - most likely rape

- existence of her daughter is probably because she was raped since she was 10 year old

- her daughter being terrorist leader could be because her father who raped her mother was previous leader, and she inherited title
Dec 29, 2012 5:57 AM

Jul 2011
_sky said:
Even so, being raped and tortured for 16 years doesn't make you age to the point where you turn into an old lady.

I agree. Everyone just foresees this fact. It's TOO ambiguous of an episode. Kinda like a half-assed episode to me. Everyone just goes "Oh, action! Oh, Tachikoma!"
I can see why she has a daughter now though; got it from all the raeps. But why the daughter became leader of the group is another question. A question that Batou himself asked. And then we are all left to dry. No questions answered.

The fact that the SST (As translations have it. I assume it stands for Special Security Team. Wikipedia.) member was shaken up by mere "rapes" and "tortures" is another thing. You would think trained soldiers would be a little more apathetic to these situations.
ラウラ・ボーデヴィッヒ ♥
Jan 1, 2013 11:33 AM

Nov 2011
Excellent episode. Loved the action, grenade launcher, gun fights, and stuff. That little girl is kinda annoying though but I do like her attitude of protecting her mother.
Mar 24, 2013 1:27 PM
Aug 2011
Around 20th minute, I thought there was going to be a second episode for this story and this was only beginning. After merely 1 minute passed, it turned out to be an undone episode -_-.
May 29, 2013 12:06 PM

Apr 2013
Guns, rocket launchers and Tachikoma's. The episode was full of action. I enjoyed this one a lot. I wonder what must have happened to that 10 years old girl that she aged into an old woman in 16 years. Guess we will never find out. But still this episode was epic.

Tachikoma's <3
May 30, 2013 1:07 PM

Mar 2010
lol tachikoma
May 30, 2013 1:08 PM

Mar 2010
poor kid,tachikoma's voice :D
Jun 12, 2013 7:55 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

So many questions and so much action, but the best thing is the context comedian had with the Tachikoma, which means dismissive of the danger plunge headlong into battle despite the severe damage, then at the first hint of anti-tank missiles, he runs away like a whipped dog! Epic that way! I hope in the future you can understand why so many "born" in this episode.
Dec 12, 2013 5:50 AM

May 2011
Best use of grenades. KA-BOOMs everything in its way. Anyways, this is an excellent episode. Just imagine what the girl has been through all those years...
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 14, 2013 6:53 PM

Aug 2013
That was a cool action packed episode. One thing that I found weird is that such a big operation was made on a populated place xD

It was a sick story being kidnapped at 10 years old and having a chil that look fourteen 16 years later? She must have been raped multiple time... Just thinking about it make me sick. I'm curious about her old age too... A disfonctionment about her cyber-brain?
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 28, 2014 6:24 AM

Sep 2013
Good episode, one thing that just keeps bugging me on this show is the speed of the converations. I need to pay extreme attention to the subtitles in order to stay on track on what's going on.

Even then,there are moments I have to pause and rewind a bit. It takes a little away from the nice seamless experience. It's not the problem of the show of course. :/

And no, I'm not watching the dub. Major sounds much better in Japanese imo.
May 24, 2014 6:53 AM

Nov 2013
I loved this. Lots of stylish action, subtle world-building, and melancholic mysteries. Pretty much everything that's good about the franchize in 20 minutes. Also reminded me of the Metal Gear Solid series ... The place they're in looks like the setting for most of the second game, as well as the whole infilitration/extraction, and the accelerated aging. The impression that I got, by the way, was that the terrorists had some cultish thing going on, with trying to humanize her cyborg body, which lead to how it looked when she was finally rescued, and having her child have some kind of prophetic leader role, and that it was the horrors of all that which made the guy who linked to her ill.
Jun 10, 2014 5:40 AM

Nov 2011
Episode so sad and so many because without an answer, some answers are given by me myself and I thought of the most despicable things possible.
How much hypocrisy in the words of those who are against the freedom of the human race by any transformation, then behave so hateful.
Fantastic narrative, full of suspense and action.
Drawings, animations, and great soundtrack.
Jul 3, 2014 11:42 PM

Feb 2011
Psajdak said:
- soldier went nuts because he connected to aged Eka and saw everything she experienced in those 16 years since she was kidnapped - most likely rape

- existence of her daughter is probably because she was raped since she was 16 year old

- her daughter being terrorist leader could be because her father who raped her mother was previous leader, and she inherited title

Corrected in bold. She was 16 when she was kidnapped. When she was rescued she was 32. I was perplexed by what happened initially, but once it was revealed her daughter didn't have the cybernetic implants I got it immediately. I didn't want to believe it since it was pretty horrifying, but its definately believable. Look at President Obama's photo 8 years ago, look at him now, and that's just through the stress of presidency. Imagine Eka's torture and trauma she went through in 16 years held hostage my a terrorist organization (rape, beatings, verbal abuse, etc.). That's how its believable for me. What also gave her traumatized mind away was when the gunshot was fired before Mokoto raided the room. If you listen to the daughter she's yelling at her mom saying she shouldn't leave herself alone and stay with her at all times, implying the mother wanted to shoot herself and end her misery (much like the counter-terrorist that went insane after linking with the old woman; the memories were just too much). This was a deep deep episode of just how shocking people can be...look at any extremist today and ask..."How are people even capable of so much hate/cruelty?"
Feb 3, 2015 10:25 AM

Nov 2013
god damn they must have done some pretty fucked up shit to her during that time, or her tech advancements caused her to age rapidly?

Good episode :3 I like it when all the team are on a investigation together ^^

Also the water emerge near the beginning reminded me of the metal gear opening :D
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 5, 2015 7:25 PM

Nov 2011
Stress does age you quicker, but to end up like that at 32 after 16 years... I agree with Batou; I'm not sure that's the sort of thing you'd want to know. I do wish more of these thematic episodes had a theme conclusion, though.

I forget that the tachikomas are weapons of war sometimes. They took on a small militia. o.o
Mar 26, 2015 1:38 AM
Mar 2015
The real cuestion is how did she became the leader
Mar 29, 2015 2:20 PM

Feb 2015
Ageing that fast and having a daughter the same/nearly the same age as she was before she was kidnapped was very interesting.

The tachikoma though... those mini tanks always put a smile on my face.
Apr 16, 2015 9:32 AM
Nov 2014
Moe robot was so amazing in this episode, great actions ^^ Damn she aged to an old lady in 16 years O.O fucked up.
May 2, 2015 4:48 AM

Jul 2014
This episode averted a typical flaw of anime's screenplays. They explained in the end what that "please, erase them" meant, while often they just leave such plot elements unexplained.
Still the aforementioned question remains a problem. How did she became the leader? I often don't know if japanese's screenplays are uselessly complex with too much subtly implied elements, or just full of plot holes.
May 10, 2015 8:44 AM

Feb 2014
JyanCat said:
_sky said:

I agree. Everyone just foresees this fact. It's TOO ambiguous of an episode. Kinda like a half-assed episode to me. Everyone just goes "Oh, action! Oh, Tachikoma!"
I can see why she has a daughter now though; got it from all the raeps. But why the daughter became leader of the group is another question. A question that Batou himself asked. And then we are all left to dry. No questions answered.

The fact that the SST (As translations have it. I assume it stands for Special Security Team. Wikipedia.) member was shaken up by mere "rapes" and "tortures" is another thing. You would think trained soldiers would be a little more apathetic to these situations.

I think she may have been experimented on, too. The Major and Togusa had a conversation in the middle of the episode about the possibility of her having been cloned, and I think this is supposed to imply that - not necessarily that they wanted to clone her, but that she was experimented on. It would make sense - if they captured someone with a cyberbrain, they'd likely want to take them apart and see how they worked.

The cyberization itself had to be a factor too. Especially since she was one of the earliest cyberized people, there were probably issues and defects that weren't caught early. I mean, you mess with the brain, you're probably messing with the glands and hormones and pathways that control physical aging...

I think it's nice that they left it open-ended, though. Most shows wouldn't be able to pull it off, but GitS, I think, earns the benefit of the doubt since its storytelling is so intelligent and solid overall. They tell the story, and then give you enough hints to ask you to piece the conclusion together yourself.

edit: wait, actually she had to have been cloned. Her DNA and her "daughter's" DNA were an exact match. There's no way that would've happened if her daughter was born naturally. So I think the cloning thing is right.
PonPonPonMay 10, 2015 9:04 AM
Jun 14, 2015 11:45 PM

May 2015
Since I'm more into philosophy-based episodes, this was quite a break for me. But thankfully Ghost in the Shell always presents top-notch refined combat sequences, so it was still very likeable!
Jul 8, 2015 8:45 AM

Oct 2014
Noxana said:
Since I'm more into philosophy-based episodes, this was quite a break for me

This
I'm not into action based episodes
so dropped AGAIN
As I said earlier the movies were 10x better
it's just a shitty action anime now
I don't get it how can one rate this shit higher than 5
3/10 for shitty tachikomas
CnonJul 8, 2015 8:48 AM
Jul 22, 2015 4:08 AM

Jun 2015
Batou using flashlight? Isn't he a cyborg? Wouldn't makes things easier to toggle night vision embedded in his eyes?
Feb 12, 2016 5:43 PM

Aug 2014
The outfit Motoko wore in this episode suits her much more.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.