Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 22, 2011 7:47 AM

May 2009
The animation was terrible!
At least there was tits. That's pretty good too.
Jan 26, 2011 4:59 PM

Apr 2008
Wow, way to go Torotoro-san :D

And to pom, the drawings have been horrible for the whole anime, at least when the characthers don`t have their face up in the camera :P

Feb 28, 2011 9:36 PM

Aug 2010
Wasn't expecting that ending. Was good though.
Mar 9, 2011 1:05 PM

Jul 2010
if only it was that easy to get a job.

Apr 7, 2011 4:29 PM

Aug 2010
Just what kind of treatment did she use to calm him down? Her hand looked like it hurt.

Animation was whack this time around. It's great that things worked out for "him" since he seems to be OK with things..
Jul 21, 2011 9:48 PM

Feb 2011
This show has a lot of message, I specially loved the last phrase "Those who are hungry, work." Indeed, no truer words were ever spoken.
Jul 30, 2011 2:48 AM

Aug 2009
Blahhh these lapses in animation quality are getting ridiculous now.

Sep 18, 2011 3:58 PM

Aug 2011
AironicallyHuman said:
It seems I might have jumped the gun a little - the series has dropped in quality since the Kawisa arc ended. The MMORPG story was rather boring and the scam arc was even less interesting. Compared to the previous episodes, 15-18 aren't in the same class. It's too bad if the series is going to be disappointing until the end...

What's really bugged me about these episodes is the feeling that they're nothing more than fillers designed to extend the story. None of the 4 episodes have added anything to the main characters or shown signs of Satou improving. For some reason, Misaki's character still hasn't been explained, which is annoying when it should've been after the Kawisa arc.

Edit: Also, I just watched EP19 and it has the worst animation of a fairly recent series I've ever seen. Horrible.

I can't believe I've gone from rating the series 10/10 after 14 to rating it 8-9/10 after 15-19. :/

Exactly my thoughts. I suddenly realised after this episode that the romance completely dissapeared. Remember the kiss scene in one of the earlier episodes? There was so much tension back then.

I don't like it either that they focus on other characters without even slightly improving the condition of the main character. And Misaki is still a mystery.
Sep 22, 2011 5:14 PM

Jun 2007
Just to clarify, the MMORPG arc and scam arc were both added into the original story by the manga. They weren't part of the novel, unless my memory is playing tricks on me. The manga pretty much butchered the story, by the time it ended, but it wasn't so bad in the anime due to very little manga content being animated. It got back on track, after this episode.

Also, I was harsh on the MMORPG arc, back in the day. I suppose I didn't enjoy it very much because Satou's development, as well as the romance, had grinded to a halt. Plus, it was somewhat painful to watch as a result of my past experiences with cat girls/FFXI. When re-watching the series, I actually enjoyed watching Satou fall in love with Yamazaki a fair bit.

As for episode 19 itself, I remembered the animation being terrible before I started re-watching, and my memories proved to be correct. The arse-loop of the super reclusive character near the start was lol worthy. On the plus side, the only other episode with POOR art/animation was episode four, and that was nowhere near as bad.

I wasn't fond of how easily the super recluse recovered. Really - he just needed hunger for all of his troubles to go away; some nice old couple JUST HAPPENING to hire a man who'd never done a days work in his life? It was all far too rushed and easy. In the case of Satou, since he was nowhere near as bad, it wasn't so hard to accept... but in the case of a guy who freaked out when seen by others?...
Jan 5, 2012 1:40 AM

Jul 2011
kawaiisakura05 said:
i didn't think the last few episodes were terribly boring. i rather liked them. i liked how they ended this pyramid scheme arc. i felt really bad for the president and how her life turned out. but apparently according to people on here, episode 19 is worse? ouch. guess i'll have to watch and see.

me too, i think episode 14-16 is boring, but episode 17 -19 is interesting..

i feel really bad for Megumi, thank god her brother finally get it together, and mouse road is finally over, but is that mean that her debt is vanishing or not??

the animation of this episode is ugly!!
Feb 6, 2012 3:56 PM

Sep 2011
He seems to be doing fine...?
Apr 12, 2012 12:55 AM

Jan 2012
I seriously thought that she was going to find him dead on the floor
May 7, 2012 5:17 PM

Nov 2011
Ekstah said:
I seriously thought that she was going to find him dead on the floor

Glad I'm not the only one; the consequences of watching too many dramas.
I'm liking how this show is educating us as much as it is entertaining us.
Where the romance between Satou and Misaki once seemed interesting, now it's lost all flair. I hope they focus more on the development and progression of Satou himself.
Jul 22, 2012 5:25 AM

Jan 2011
It's not getting any better after the great start it had.
I hope it will get better in the next few episodes.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 22, 2012 6:59 PM

Dec 2009
Lol they didn't even bother to fix this badly animated episodein DVD version.
Aug 24, 2012 5:40 PM
Aug 2012
The piece of music with the flute and guitar at the end, when Torotoro is doing his job, isn't in the soundtrack, or is it?

It's a great little piece. Would greatly appreciate it if someone can point me to where I can find it, if it's out there.
Aug 30, 2012 2:53 PM

Jun 2011
Byun said:
AironicallyHuman said:
It seems I might have jumped the gun a little - the series has dropped in quality since the Kawisa arc ended. The MMORPG story was rather boring and the scam arc was even less interesting. Compared to the previous episodes, 15-18 aren't in the same class. It's too bad if the series is going to be disappointing until the end...

What's really bugged me about these episodes is the feeling that they're nothing more than fillers designed to extend the story. None of the 4 episodes have added anything to the main characters or shown signs of Satou improving. For some reason, Misaki's character still hasn't been explained, which is annoying when it should've been after the Kawisa arc.

Edit: Also, I just watched EP19 and it has the worst animation of a fairly recent series I've ever seen. Horrible.

I can't believe I've gone from rating the series 10/10 after 14 to rating it 8-9/10 after 15-19. :/

I agree wholeheartedly the MMO and Scam bits have been pretty bad -_-

Agreed. The show started off great but it just kinda meandered to the point that I actually dropped it for a few weeks around episode 19. Disappointing.
Oct 17, 2012 12:31 AM

Oct 2012
Wow, the animation really took a dive this episode. What the hell happened for them to do such a dodgy job of it? Oh well, besides that I thought this was a really good episode. For a second there, I actually thought that Torotoro was going to starve to death.
Nov 12, 2012 2:23 PM

May 2012
Nice episode, it seems this arc ended quite nicely! Good that everyone is on a brighter path!
Nov 14, 2012 2:58 PM

Sep 2011
I guess the story of Toro Toro was kind of nice, but the whole thing about Megumi...meh. Though the pacing was really weird in this episode and I also find it weird how at first they care so much about the raid in Mouseroad, then nothing. I thought they were gonna go over and help her brother, but no, it's like they forgot about him. I bet they won't even mention them in the next episode, or maybe just one or two sentences about them.
Also wtf was up with showing Megumi's boobs. Was that necessary fanservice?

And finally, am I the only who think the animator here (and in ep4) was the same person who animated the episode in Naruto Shippuuden when him and Pain fought? It was the same kind of abomination...

This whole arc was horrible, it added absolutely nothing to the main story and the characters, except I feel like they got dumber.
Nov 23, 2012 12:35 AM
Aug 2012
Happy ending) Glad he finally started new life!
Jun 15, 2013 8:38 AM

Nov 2012
well in the beginning it is kind of crazy when seeing the brother of megumi is getting angry just because that..

in the middle well thats kind of stupid but kinda sad when knowing the reason why toro toro became hikikomori like that..

and then in the end.. lol XD big change happened :D he work.. lol XD hope sato be like that too lol XD
Jun 23, 2013 11:52 PM

Sep 2012
Some serious QUALITY in this episode. I feel like they're kinda holding off on explaining Misaki's character (thought they'd do it after the "suicide" thing). 5 episodes left though so there's still time. Hope that the animation quality isn't this bad again, and that the plot ends in style.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Jul 27, 2013 9:28 AM
May 2012
Happy Ending

Fuck Yeah!!!!
Aug 21, 2013 4:24 PM
Jul 2013
"If they get hungry, humans begin to work" LOL yeah fucking right. They just throw a fit and get pissed
Aug 30, 2013 6:59 AM

Jul 2008
AironicallyHuman said:
I wasn't fond of how easily the super recluse recovered. Really - he just needed hunger for all of his troubles to go away; some nice old couple JUST HAPPENING to hire a man who'd never done a days work in his life? It was all far too rushed and easy. In the case of Satou, since he was nowhere near as bad, it wasn't so hard to accept... but in the case of a guy who freaked out when seen by others?...

I agree.

I understood that ToroToro had read up on how to improve himself and only his fear was holding him back...but the fact is that he was still a serious hiki. Like...super-hiki. You'd think they'd at least show a struggle as he tries to work, but all it showed was him on the floor begging for food...then riding a delivery bike happily down the road. Too unrealistic for me.

Plus, he was TERRIBLE with human interaction aside from his sister, so wtf...
"LET'S HOSPITAL!"
Aug 31, 2013 2:16 AM

Dec 2012
Damn another powerful episode. Sato may be a NEET but he met a true shut in and what may have awaited him if he hadn't met Misaki or Yamazaki. Hearing Toro crying as they left was real dramatic.

The scene with Misaki cleaning up the drink was hilarious, Yamazaki always walking in at the wrong times :p.

Although it did feel a bit rushed, I did like how the Mouseroad raid was the push that Megumi's brother needed. As far as Toro recovering quickly, didn't at least a month pass since he left in order to find food? And honestly you could tell he was still a mess by how loose his clothing was, but he was finally moving forward and probably felt a peace of mind as a result.

I felt this episode really hit home to a degree (not to the extent of Toro and Sato though o_o), since I know how hard it is to break out of one's habits and how when you want to it feels like it's too late. But the longer you wait, the deeper you fall into the pit.
Nov 16, 2013 9:20 PM
Jul 2013
Glad I'm not the only one to notice the really crappy looking animation this episode. It seems like the animators knew how crappy the animation was, since they put in a totally unnecessary shot of Megumi's boobs (even if I did kind of like it).

Regardless, the show has been odd ever since the Sato got into playing MMORPGs… hopefully it gets back to the main characters, because while all the side character stuff can be interesting, I'd rather know more about Misaki, Sato, and Yamazaki. Especially since the writers just dropped everything regarding the all the revelations learned regarding Misaki in episode 10.

Story needs to get back on track, animation needs to improve, and the fan service shouldn't continue as a trend because it is entirely unnecessary in this show. Hopefully pushing through to the end of the show won't be a complete waste of time.
Nov 18, 2013 5:35 PM
Jun 2013
Umm im rather confused did she know her brother was ok? Since she seemed rather calm in the shower not knowing where he was at.
Jan 12, 2014 6:49 PM

Aug 2013
I don't know why the animation have taken such a huge drop in this episode. It was really awful and not fluid at all. And it's really a shame because the story in this episode was really great.

The whole deal about the president brother was really interresting. The man was at a point of non-return, because he thought that he could still survive even if he knew what he was doing was pointless. By stoping to feed him, it was a question of life or dead, so he had to do something. We, humans, have a survival instinct, most of us, even if we would want to die, there would be something inside us telling us to do something. I guess we could call it the common sense.

In the end, the pyramidal compagny crumbled appart, it's a great thing. I don't know if this will clear her debt, economy's not really my speciality. But she's at least thinking about going back to the university, which is a huge step.

I think that Satou finally got out of his downfall. He's still the same not-so-motivated Satou, but he seem out of his paranoiac Schizophrenic phase. That misunderstood with the ''blowjob'' was hilarious xD
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 30, 2014 7:27 AM
Jul 2018
I was about to say that they finally shown a real Hikikomori in the beginning of this episode but the way he changed at the end (getting a job after only three days of not eating anything) was completely implausible.

No one who has this kind of mental issues shown in this episode (Hiding when seeing other people and being terrified by the sight of them and also the way he treated his sister), nobody would change their attitude so rapidly, it's just like all of his troubles went away cause he didn't eat for 3 days.
Either this or the guy was just lazy and pretending to be sick while using his sister who was satisfying all his needs.

I thought he realized his actions at the end when they were leaving and he started crying but I still think that for people with issues like that it wouldn't be enough to change them.
Also the animation sucked so much, although i didn't really notice it first time i watched it.

This could've been an amazing anime, if only they treated the issues seriously.
Feb 8, 2014 8:16 PM

Apr 2011
Yeah the scamming arc was pathetic but at least it showed the main character there are people way worse than him and that he can still change... hopefully.
Mar 2, 2014 9:34 AM

Oct 2013
I guess I'm tired, didn't notice the animation everyone's complaining about. Lol'd at the bathtub boobs though.
Glad the scamming arc is over, my least favorite episodes so far. Though I did like that Satou being able to judge someone like himself, it's a great eye-opener.
Really annoyed with the lack of realism in the story though, this guy spent years behind a computer, didn't eat in 3 days, but suddenly finds the will to find food and gets a job and is actually able to ride a bike to do deliveries. Right.

Glad Satou and Misaki are getting along great, although not as great as Yamazaki will be thinking lol!
Mar 27, 2014 3:32 PM

Apr 2013
Mhm... Would have been better if they skipped the scamming arc, but oh well O.o
Was expecting them to show other Hikikomoris anyway... preferably a worse of one so that he can relate to.
That way he can face reality more easily...
Sort of like the time when he was gonna take photos of elementary kids LOL

LOL giant red face Yamazaki is great too :P
HAHAHA XD Yamazaki entered at the perfect time xD
That was great!

Oh I take that back!
It felt great to see that the Pres' brother was able to work again!
duderusMar 27, 2014 3:42 PM

Apr 18, 2014 8:59 AM

Feb 2013
That was a heartwarming ending.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Apr 20, 2014 4:50 PM

Oct 2010
I don't understand why the conclusion to this arc is so divisive. The reason that Yuichi was able to live his hikkikomori lifestyle was because Kobayashi allowed him to. She was the one providing him sustenance to live. As soon as that support stops, what are you supposed to do? Just stay in that room and die? No, you man up and learn to support yourself. The idea here is that people become hikkikomori because others around them allow them to (in this instance Kobayashi, in Satou's it's his mother for giving him an allowance to live off of).

Oh, and dem boobs
Jun 2, 2014 6:29 AM

Oct 2013
that guy sorted himself out fine. all he needed to do was be hungry
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jul 7, 2014 12:20 AM

Feb 2014
Ekvi said:
I didn't even pay attention to the animation :O

I guess I was really into the story then, haha.

Same here..

But now that I think about it my brother came in while I was watching and said "Did they change the animation style since I last saw it?" I just said "no", it didn't seem that different to me but I guess it was since so many people are bothered by it, kind of petty IMO.
TinimeJul 7, 2014 5:07 PM
Aug 3, 2014 7:44 AM

Mar 2013
AironicallyHuman said:

completely agree man
Aug 3, 2014 8:18 AM

Aug 2013
First thing first... what's with the animation !?
It's totally different not just bad.. for a second I thought it's my own problem.
The hiki to hiki talk was nice.. very bitter and heartwarming. Torotoro is crying. TAT
And Misaki.. I know you did that on purpose. Hehe.. that scene was priceless.

I don't get what's up with Torotoro's sudden change really.
But no matter.. doesn't have much to do with the main story.
Aug 11, 2014 3:08 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty emotional episode.
Aug 20, 2014 1:05 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
The show is almost over and we still don't know anything about Misaki. Only thing we do know is that she lives in a big house where she has a good view of Sato's apartment.

Slight improvement with Sato, he FINALLY has his apartment clean. He's also working on that game with Yamazaki and not sleeping all day. That other NEET finds a job at the cost of making Kobayashi worry, she doesn't know where he is.

Misaki in the whole deed position xD
Yamazaki thought she and Sato were going at it xD

Sep 2, 2014 4:40 AM
Oct 2013
Noone is beyond redemption. Still reliazing this truth for oneself is as hard as commiting suicide.
Sep 15, 2014 5:34 AM

Oct 2013
I know this anime is a little older but WOW the quality of this episode was fucking terrible XD
aside from that a good episode glad to see class rep got both her problems sorted out :D
well I guess thats the end of this arc was pretty good
[/quote]
Oct 1, 2014 8:23 PM

Sep 2013
The fan-service and ending were unexpected, but that brother really changed after he got hungry lol, he changed quicker than Sato which was kind of surprising, but you know not really, after all, he was starving and backed into a corner. I bet any hikimori would change after they run out of money like that.
Oct 27, 2014 8:00 AM

Dec 2013
What ?!Dat Hiki got a job o.O ?
It was kinda weird, too happy of an ending for an NHK episode. I liked it anyways.
Nov 16, 2014 2:54 AM

May 2011
The ending brought a tear to my eye. Humans in the end are social animals who fight in order to survive. It's fight or die, after all. Hikikomoris can still break free after the extreme. Hopefully Satou could complete the game (though some gut instinct tells me he world procrastinate all the way again...). The animation was not of my concern though. NHK in the first place is a slice-of-life societal depictory anime, animation is a gimmick to ensure the anime can run properly, that's all. I only expect NHK to give great black comedy, manipulation of psychology, a reflection of first-world problems, and a tad romance.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 3, 2015 8:00 AM

Oct 2013
Even with that POOR animation, Misaki has got dat ass.

That was actually a really touching and nice way to end this little mini-arc, even though it was kind of unrealistic. I've known people who had severe social anxiety like that, and I know they wouldn't be able to overcome it just because they hadn't eaten in a few days. Granted, I think a month had passed between the point where he got the job and the point where he was shown being a delivery boy, but it's still rather implausible. It's rather like saying someone with a physical disability that keeps them from physical labor would somehow overcome it if they needed food. Mental disabilities can be just as crippling as physical disabilities.

Still, like I said, touching way to end it, and I'm willing to overlook the unlikelihood of the culmination.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 3, 2015 10:30 AM
Mar 2013
What went wrong with the animation? It was terrible! For the first time, Sato thanked Misaki. I've been looking forward to those word for a while.
Feb 13, 2015 6:33 AM

Jan 2014
People will do anything if they get hungry enough.
Well, I guess it is a way to cure an illness. O__o
And Torotoro's had luck with his 'anything'.(:
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarkBlue - Feb 7, 2008

113 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 4, 2008

114 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 3:08 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Juliab - Mar 7, 2008

164 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Aug 20, 2008

123 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 1:23 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkBlue - Feb 6, 2008

215 by RGreatDanton »»
Yesterday, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.