Forums
New
Mar 29, 2012 4:01 PM
Mar 2011
Grind monkey
or
Natural Level progression

most of the time i admit im a grinder to excessive levels
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 29, 2012 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
Natural level progression. I generally dislike when a game forces you to grind in order to progress. It isn't fun and just takes away from story immersion while making the game way longer than it needs to be.
removed-userMar 29, 2012 4:17 PM
Mar 29, 2012 4:46 PM

Nov 2009
A bit of both. I dont mind a game that requires or is made simpler by a small amount of grinding to say get a level or two up before a boss fight.

Takes a bit more effort than walking in and stomping every boss with no hardship.
Mar 29, 2012 5:17 PM

Jan 2012
I tend to stay in each new area I get to and grind quite a lot, until it gets to the point where it's just too slow.
No matter if the game actually requires it or not, I tend to do it anyway.
But that's mostly with JRPGs.

I don't usually do much grinding in western RPGs like Ultima, or Fallout, or Baldur's Gate etc.
Mar 29, 2012 5:18 PM

Apr 2010
Yeah, grinding isn't so bad to an extent. But it's when it gets to Dragon Quest levels is when it annoys me.
Mar 29, 2012 5:19 PM

Mar 2012
One word...
Hoarder
Mar 29, 2012 5:21 PM

Jan 2012
Shining_Sword said:
Yeah, grinding isn't so bad to an extent. But it's when it gets to Dragon Quest levels is when it annoys me.

Dragon Quest VII had some serious grinding. Especially for getting enough gold to buy new armor and weapons every time you got to a new city/area.
The same goes for Dragon Quest VIII.
Personally that was too much grinding for me.
Mar 29, 2012 5:37 PM

Feb 2012
If I develop and optimize a strategy that still relies on some amount of luck (which enemies are encountered in a difficult area, which attacks a difficult boss uses, etc.), then I consider myself underleveled. But I'd rather spend time optimizing that strategy in the first place than mindlessly grinding. So I tend to avoid grind-heavy games -- even Mother 1, when I adore Mother 2 and Mother 3.
Mar 29, 2012 5:38 PM

Aug 2009
I tend to try and explore every bit of the game, and in turn that turns into grinding.
Mar 29, 2012 5:56 PM

Feb 2005
Usually I just breeze through, but occasionally, I might stop for some grinding, usually if I'm killing several figurative avians with one equally figurative lump object. For example if I want to get money for some specific equipment, level up a skill or whatnot, then the added XP is a nice bonus.

But I really loathe it when the game force me to grind, that's just a cheap form of fake difficulty to drag out the game more.
Mar 29, 2012 6:01 PM

Feb 2010
I always tried to beat the game as low level as I can, without much grinding. Then again, I won't forsake all the exploration I could have done because of the goal. By comparison to most gameplays shown in youtube, my characters are usually at much lower levels.

Lmao, I still remember catching five lvl 3-5 pidgeys to beat Brock with sand-attack/gust in Pokemon Yellow back when I was a kid.
Mar 29, 2012 6:18 PM

Apr 2010
Dennoucoil said:
One word...
Hoarder

all the way! i hate grinding, but you offer me loot, and i'l hold on to until the end of time

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Mar 29, 2012 6:24 PM

Sep 2011
natural progression, im the kidna guy that couldnt give less of a shit about the side quests*cough filler cough* and just want a solid storyline

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 29, 2012 6:29 PM

Jul 2010
natural level progression, why in the world would i want to do the same thing over and over again. -.-

Mar 29, 2012 6:35 PM
Mar 2011
the reason i am how i am in these type of games is Dragon Quest that was the first console RPG i ever played PC Rpgs with very exctions are not built the be grindfests will i admit Console RPGs are

the only two exctions i think of are
the PC rpgs point is Ultima I
and for the Conllose the pure non grind fest is FF VIII
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Mar 29, 2012 6:37 PM

Sep 2011
Angel_Beats said:
natural level progression, why in the world would i want to do the same thing over and over again. -.-
ask a cod fan that, they are experts in the field of doing things over and over again

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 29, 2012 6:53 PM

Jul 2011
Enjolras1830 said:

and for the Console the pure non grind fest is FF VIII

Yes this one is a DRAWfest.

Anyways I like to try to get everything so it usually means grinding stuff with low drops rates until I get enough and usually I overlevel. I do like a challenge as well so if difficulty is selectable I always choose the highest available with a few exceptions like tales of graces chaos is a bit too stupid for my taste 1st PT.
Mar 29, 2012 6:53 PM

Feb 2012
live2win said:
Lmao, I still remember catching five lvl 3-5 pidgeys to beat Brock with sand-attack/gust in Pokemon Yellow back when I was a kid.

And he's even worse in Red/Blue if you pick Charmander or pick Bulbasaur and don't level him enough for Vine Whip; his Geodude and Onix are each two levels higher in Red/Blue. I think I was more patient in my childhood than I am now.

Miles702 said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Or a CARDfest depending on how you play it.
CuriousThingMar 29, 2012 6:56 PM
Mar 29, 2012 6:55 PM

Sep 2011
Hakuromatsu said:
live2win said:

And he's even worse in Red/Blue if you pick Charmander or pick Bulbasaur and don't level him enough for Vine Whip; his Geodude and Onix are each two levels higher in Red/Blue. I think I was more patient in my childhood than am now.

Miles702 said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Or a CARDfest depending on how you play it.
i just like to call that game a endurance test

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Mar 29, 2012 7:03 PM

Nov 2011
Natural Level Progression. . .
I play grinders as well but to be honest I probably don't finish 50% of the grind-based RPGs I play simply because at just a certain point I just reach my limit and can't stand it and just drop it.

The only grind-based RPGs I usually don't drop is if it has a great story to go with it, then I usually just keep going and going to progress into the story, even if it kills me.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Mar 29, 2012 7:03 PM

Apr 2008
Usually when I reach a new area I grind until I gain a few levels, explore every nook and cranny for items and such and horde them or sell them for better items...it just depends...

I usually stick with the one battle party throughout the game (switching out one or two characters here and there). I hardly ever use the characters I dislike in battle...unless I am having a really hard time beating a boss or something...lol.

I do as many side quests as I can do before doing the main quests and I do as many as I can while playing the game. But once the game over I don't come back to them...
SevenMar 29, 2012 7:46 PM
Mar 29, 2012 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
I play to a certain level where it has the best armor and then stop leveling. -- thats probably grinding huh?
Mar 29, 2012 9:19 PM
Jul 2018
Grind at the start, then two or three levels between dungeons. Works fine for most games.

Don't grind at all in WRPGs since you pretty much can't.
Mar 29, 2012 9:25 PM

Nov 2009
Miles702 said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Anyone who thinks FFVIII is a "DRAWfest" isnt playing it properly.
Only things you need to draw in that game are GF's from set fights. Nothing more.

Refining is so much easier and faster. >>
Mar 29, 2012 9:32 PM

Jan 2008
LF>List of RPG player personalities to make it easier on me.

It really depends.

For recent games:

Dark Souls - Perfectionist. "Oh crap, I accidentally put a stat point into STR instead of Endurance at Soul Level Lv 70 with a 14str/14dex Uchigatana build on New Game ++" *Nerd Rages* *Restarts character* then wastes 2 hours looking at stuff on Wiki and taking notes.

Tales of Grace f - Somewhat random. Since it's new and I'm new to it, I just wander around doing whatever while focusing on the main quest. Side quest pops up? We'll, I'll do it if it's not a pain in the ass but if it is, pft, I'll do it on New Game +. I guess the curious/lazy player. Haven't looked at a single guide for it yet but I have posted questions. Not too worried about missing anything.

HDN Mk2 - Casual first play-through.

Star Ocean 4 - Perfectionist... WITH A OFFICIAL GAME GUIDE. Oh my god, what a fuggin pain. Guide tells me to gather enough Blue Roses to get everyone's ending. 4+ hours later. "You currently have 3 Blue Roses* still need like 4 more. "F YOU GUIDE! Y YOU DO DIS TO ME!?" /quits playing.

Now for MMOs.... I'm a ginder. Last MMO I played was Maplestory (feel free to hate). 5+ hours of non-stop grinding.
Mar 29, 2012 9:46 PM

Jun 2007
None of the above.

Grinding is definitely the lowest a game can go though.
Mar 29, 2012 9:50 PM

Jul 2011
Paul said:

Dark Souls - Perfectionist. "Oh crap, I accidentally put a stat point into STR instead of Endurance at Soul Level Lv 70 with a 14str/14dex Uchigatana build on New Game ++" *Nerd Rages* *Restarts character* then wastes 2 hours looking at stuff on Wiki and taking notes

This game was a fun platinum.

Paul said:

Star Ocean 4 - Perfectionist... WITH A OFFICIAL GAME GUIDE. Oh my god, what a fuggin pain. Guide tells me to gather enough Blue Roses to get everyone's ending. 4+ hours later. "You currently have 3 Blue Roses* still need like 4 more. "F YOU GUIDE! Y YOU DO DIS TO ME!?" /quits playing.
even without the flowers the wandering dungeon is horrible and it takes 100's of hours to get the bt's. My friend has 1000 achievements points in this game and he said his final playtime when he got the last one was just under 400 hours. This is a game you don't want to be a perfectionist for.....
Mar 30, 2012 12:18 AM

Dec 2010
I don't mind a little grinding every so often in RPGs, even in ones that should not need any (Fable for example). In games where grinding really helps (Pokemon, Final Fantasy) I only get frustrated with it if I can't find a good spot that gives lots of EXP for little time investment, and doesn't use up all my medical items. Of course, the greatest grinding section in a game ever is the forklift trucks in Shenmue. I love that game.
Mar 30, 2012 4:09 AM

Jul 2010
Hmm..I am more the explorer type. I like to see every part of the world, do all the quests and such. Of course only to a certain extend; if it gets too repetitive Ill just do the main story. Therefore its not really grinding but exploring.
Mar 30, 2012 4:30 AM

Mar 2009
I can't be bothered with grinding.
It's too boring for me.
I like the story that goes with quests and dungeons.

And if we're talking online RPG there's also leveling through pvp in some games.
Mar 30, 2012 5:54 AM

Jan 2011
I grind if I feel like it which is almost never.
Mar 30, 2012 5:59 AM

Nov 2009
Freelancer is one of the best RPG's I've played but its an RPG in a totally different way to the classic ones.

It's awesome doing Space shoot em up type stuff but being able to grind rep with people like Pirate factions and stuff. Can influence the way you play as you level which is pretty awesome. The exploration in that is the best I've played in any game to date.
Mar 30, 2012 7:34 AM

Jun 2008
Games that force you to grind is no good. I can't stomach that. However, I usually like grinding as an optional thing. Sometimes the possibility of getting rare items with the addition of XP is addictive as hell. But when you can't beat a specific boss unless you grind for 5-10 levels is totally unreasonable, especially when the grinding is often slow and not fun.
Mar 30, 2012 9:14 AM

Jul 2010
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Angel_Beats said:
ask a cod fan that, they are experts in the field of doing things over and over again

there is some variation when playing games such as that though, unlike the senseless grinding of rpg's.

Mar 30, 2012 9:19 AM
Mar 2011
Angel_Beats said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Angel_Beats said:

there is some variation when playing games such as that though, unlike the senseless
grinding of rpg's.

no theres not

Mar 30, 2012 11:55 AM

Feb 2005
Angel_Beats said:
there is some variation when playing games such as that though, unlike the senseless grinding of rpg's.
Definitely.
Sitting in one area and mindlessly hitting the attack button for hours is a task fit for automatons. But even the most straightforward FPS match could always take a surprising turn every now and then. Doubly so for CoD and it's horrendous spawning system that randomly drops people all over the map.
Mar 30, 2012 2:05 PM

Jan 2012
I'm not Natural Level Progression, but I don't play to the point where it would be considered grinding. If I feel bored, then I just stop and switch to something else.

That being said, I like to have a character with abnormally high stats for their level, so if I absolutely HAD to pick one, it'd be more of a grind monkey.

Also to be noted, the only RPG I play is RuneScape, which is where the high stats for level thing applies more. Its just, in RS more than any other RPG I've ever played, it's 10x harder to grind when you get to a higher level due to difficulty, cost, or the sheer boredom it induces. Just sayin' :P
Lemme smang it girl.
Mar 30, 2012 3:12 PM

Nov 2011
Natural level progression myself, my characters just get stronger as I go through the game. I will sometimes grind but that is only when I have been having trouble with a particularly nasty boss.
Mar 30, 2012 3:29 PM

Dec 2007
Not any of those...It's more like hardcore RPG player since I tend to try completion with 100% for any decent, worthwhile RPG. There will be quite some grinding then. Not to mention that I'm able to do the samething over and over again with no problem as long as there is progression in the stuff I want.

I do like to challenge myself a bit. I grind when it's really needed, but it doesn't occur unless I don't have any other choice. Natural Level Progression is preferred...Too bad most RPG games these days are far too easy.
Mar 30, 2012 4:44 PM

Feb 2010
LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT LOOT.
LUL
Mar 30, 2012 4:50 PM

Oct 2010
I prefer ranged classes like archers or healers.
Mar 30, 2012 5:14 PM

Jul 2010
Enjolras1830 said:
Angel_Beats said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Angel_Beats said:

there is some variation when playing games such as that though, unlike the senseless
grinding of rpg's.

no theres not

there are different maps and different scenarios if you didn't know. when you're grinding for a certain thing in rpg's it's generally in the same area over and over and over.

Mar 30, 2012 5:24 PM

Apr 2011
No, I prefer games that have non-respawnable mobs and 99%/100% fixed drops, games like Dragon Age Origins are perfect for me. I did a lot of grinding in Ragnarok Online but I'm done with it.
Mar 30, 2012 6:22 PM

Mar 2012
I always end up grinding to an extent; more so early on to get an edge and a lot late game. Or if I find an area with good XP per battle rate I will stick around to take advantage and gain some quick levels.

Iin Dragon Quest IX you could" Re-Vocation" which meant if you leveled up your class to 100 you could start over back at 1 but retain any abilities and skill points you gained so far. That took the grinding to a whole other brain numbing level man!
Mar 30, 2012 9:19 PM

Jan 2010
The kind that doesn't play them too often these days because I find them to be far too time consuming. I love them, and I've probably played more RPGs than any other genre of game, but lately I just haven't been able to devote myself to one.

Dark Souls was the last RPG I really put my time into, and after more than 100 hours (over about 6 different characters), I never even made through Sen's Fortress. I'll get back to it, eventually, probably over Spring break, but...well, I just lost my train of thought.

Nevermind.

As for my actual playing style, it varies from game to game, but I specialize with a mix of melee and ranged, usually relying on quick strikes and magic. I like to be able to handle any situation, without the worry that I'll lack the necessary skill or weapons-training, whatever, to surpass a certain obstacle.
Mar 31, 2012 9:56 AM

May 2010
Are we talking about single player games or MMORPGs? Since I don't play any MMO I'll refer to SP games. I'm really interested in the lore, story and characters mostly so everything else come second. I usually try to achieve my goal by talking or stealing (if it's possible) though few RPG's give you this chance on a large scale (Fallout 2 comes in mind). I like to level naturally though if I find a little glitch in the game, I will abuse it. Most SP games don't require grinding anyway, though you could argue that running around for alchemy ingredients in Morrowind feels like grinding.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Mar 31, 2012 10:01 AM

Jun 2008
I guess action is my preferred style, but I also love turn based too. Guess I will play just about anything. The only one I don't care much for, are tactic games.
Mar 31, 2012 10:10 AM
Mar 2011
Retro8bit said:
I guess action is my preferred style, but I also love turn based too. Guess I will play just about anything. The only one I don't care much for, are tactic games.

you misunderstood my question i meant you own play style of and any RPG not the type of of RPG you like

Mar 31, 2012 11:33 AM

Apr 2010
Kind of a mix of both. I do all the sidequests and attack any monsters on the way to an objective, but my main goal is moving along the story. I won't grind for hours unless I absolutely have to and the game better be god tier.
Mar 31, 2012 11:42 AM

May 2010
i like going around new areas, so, grinder.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
9 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.