Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Another (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 26, 2012 9:42 PM

Jan 2012
[Obviously this topic will contain many spoilers, just know that before reading!]

So, if you're somewhat of a dedicated Another fan like I am (whether it was because you were so fascinated by the overall mystery OR because you just were watching to see how it would end), you've most likely pieced together a lot about the phenomenon.

But Why?

Why? did this phenomenon occur? I'm not asking for any "logical or realistic" explanation for the curse. This is a work of fiction, as such, personally, I don't expect it to be rational or logical; it's a fictional story.

Rather, in context with the underlying theme of the show, what was the purpose of the curse?

I'm still trying to peace together some of the symbolism found in the show, (such as dolls, what they mean, if anything.)

After finishing the series, I found it to be very enjoyable. But there was still that one part of the show that I can't seem to understand yet.

What are some of your ideas as to WHY this curse happened the way it did? Was there anything that would result from it? Was there a reason for it? Can you explain in a way that makes sense, given the basis of the plot and atmosphere?
joneruApr 2, 2012 9:47 PM
Mar 26, 2012 9:52 PM

Sep 2011
I know this isn't anything to answer your question, but I'm literally wondering the same thing.

Why would this kind of curse happen? Some kid dies and shows up in a picture... Okay, that is definitely strange, but what kind of reason does that give for people to come back from the dead... and then get like, EVERYBODY killed? And indirectly for that fact...

I'd understand if like, the Misaki kid came back every year they had the curse and murdered the classmates head-on in the shadows. :/ Some sort of direct contact would make a bit more sense imo.
Mar 26, 2012 10:03 PM

Jan 2012
^^^ It's fine haha, discussion is discussion. I agree though, some clarity on why deaths occur in the manner they did would have made it even better.
Mar 26, 2012 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
Because the class embraced death and drew closer to it. That's pretty much it, it doesn't go any deeper than that. It just increases their odds of dying. I suppose the pretty obvious underlying theme is that it's bad to approach something unnatural and that you should accept death as a part of life. Not really that deep.

As for the doll imagery, I'm upset about that. It's just there to look creepy and they just discarded it completely later on. It's so superficial.
Mar 26, 2012 10:07 PM

May 2011
I think it happened because the ppl in the past couldn't let go of the past so it just affect the dead ones also, making them act as if everything is normal and nothing happened because it's something that seems "normal"
<center></center>
Mar 26, 2012 10:13 PM
Jun 2008
Due to the fact the two of you haven't been on the site for more then a year I am going to come to the conclusion that both of you may be relatively new to Anime. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but one of the reoccurring themes in some Anime is "inviting death" in. In the Japanese culture and other cultures, "inviting death" in is bad luck in its own right and in supernatural/horror it is enough to cause a curse like this.
Mar 26, 2012 10:19 PM

Sep 2011
Yemi_Hikari said:
Due to the fact the two of you haven't been on the site for more then a year I am going to come to the conclusion that both of you may be relatively new to Anime. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but one of the reoccurring themes in some Anime is "inviting death" in. In the Japanese culture and other cultures, "inviting death" in is bad luck in its own right and in supernatural/horror it is enough to cause a curse like this.

Not exactly "new to anime", but definitely new to Japanese culture. :x

I've watched Higurashi, and that's made a lot of sense despite the confusing "Q&A" arcs they split the series into, but I guess I'm new to the whole "inviting death in" ordeal :P I rarely watch psychological anime anyway. I'm a slice of life person.
Mar 26, 2012 10:22 PM
Jun 2008
-Eila- said:
Yemi_Hikari said:

Not exactly "new to anime", but definitely new to Japanese culture. :x

I've watched Higurashi, and that's made a lot of sense despite the confusing "Q&A" arcs they split the series into, but I guess I'm new to the whole "inviting death in" ordeal :P I rarely watch psychological anime anyway. I'm a slice of life person.
Yeah. That explains it too. :D
Mar 26, 2012 10:28 PM

Feb 2012
Chibiki: "It's not a curse. There is no malice to be found. It occurs naturally, like a typhoon or earthquake."

Unless someone who's read the manga or novel has something to add, that's /topic as far as I'm concerned. If you want to discuss why the phenomenon happens, you're going to have to discuss why any natural -- not supernatural -- occurrence happens. Why was it almost 80°F last week and almost 30°F this week where I live? Who knows. I can give scientific reasons for how it happened, but I'm in the dark as to why. This is a very deep philosophical matter that shouldn't be confined to this topic (but I suppose we could try ^_^).
Mar 26, 2012 11:12 PM

Nov 2011
Yemi_Hikari said:
In the Japanese culture and other cultures, "inviting death" in is bad luck in its own right and in supernatural/horror it is enough to cause a curse like this.]

This was properly explained in one of the episodes. (At Misaki's house, if I remember right)
Mar 27, 2012 12:18 AM

Aug 2008
They didn't exactly discard the idea of dolls. Dolls look like humans but they aren't alive, that was exactly who the another was, looks like a human but isn't alive. I don't see how it was discarded, it was done well.
Mar 27, 2012 1:36 AM
Jun 2008
SeraVerte said:
Yemi_Hikari said:
In the Japanese culture and other cultures, "inviting death" in is bad luck in its own right and in supernatural/horror it is enough to cause a curse like this.]

This was properly explained in one of the episodes. (At Misaki's house, if I remember right)
I know that they explained this in the episode. It can be a foreign concept though for people not familiar with the genre though.
Mar 27, 2012 1:42 AM

Oct 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
Chibiki: "It's not a curse. There is no malice to be found. It occurs naturally, like a typhoon or earthquake."
Chibiki just a fool of accepting his ideal. Did you miss the fact he regrets not having done about something at one point.

It's obvious why it's happening: guy gets killed unfairly in some bully prank. Chibiki probably means that when he mentions he did not want any of this to happen like that. Meaning it was a prank he might be part of.

Anyway guy gets magical books from wannabe store, the doll store makes you think there is some magical store. Who cares at worst internet was used. Casts a spell on the whole town giving it total control even over Mother Nature from what one sees in the last episode and the Thunder.

No exorcism worked cause you need reall powerful ancient religious practioner? WHY? Reference to Lovercraft. Ask why it was in the series?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 13, 2012 2:15 PM

Jan 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
Hakuromatsu said:
Chibiki just a fool of accepting his ideal. Did you miss the fact he regrets not having done about something at one point.

It's obvious why it's happening: guy gets killed unfairly in some bully prank. Chibiki probably means that when he mentions he did not want any of this to happen like that. Meaning it was a prank he might be part of.

Anyway guy gets magical books from wannabe store, the doll store makes you think there is some magical store. Who cares at worst internet was used. Casts a spell on the whole town giving it total control even over Mother Nature from what one sees in the last episode and the Thunder.

No exorcism worked cause you need reall powerful ancient religious practioner? WHY? Reference to Lovercraft. Ask why it was in the series?

^^^^^^^^^that makes perfect sense... aha
Jun 1, 2017 9:50 AM
Mar 2015
There's one thing I didn't understand. If there was one dead/extra person every year and they had to make one living person non-existent to account for the extra number, then why did multiple people die in case the rules were broken? It makes sense if only one person dies and then everything goes back to normal again...
Aug 2, 2017 6:10 AM
Jun 2016
Most probably that dude's death had something to do with one of his classmates killing him
Then that said classmate went completely mental and starts getting haunted by said dude so he says that dude didn't die, dude is alive..
Everyone sees he is going completely mental and decides to play along, which just makes the said dead dude call all his dead bros and be like "Bros, these people actually want us dead people around" So other dead bros come take his place once he graduated but since there is always a desk short, the dead bros get dead angry and decide they are gonna kill everybody so that it is the dead bros who have the last chair!!

My version of backstory

More topics from this board

Poll: » Another Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jenanime - Jan 9, 2012

476 by Tucefull »»
Apr 15, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sir_Lexa - Jan 30, 2012

537 by Jaakusameyumi »»
Apr 11, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2012

1042 by Fanerogame »»
Mar 28, 9:05 AM

» Well, this ending was a bit ass. Very mixed opinions.

TrhlaSlecna - Jan 10

25 by TrhlaSlecna »»
Feb 21, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Another Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2012

341 by JoJo_Enjoyerr »»
Feb 19, 12:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.