Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2012 1:00 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
First of all if you're a newcomer, check out this thread first.

Rules

The rules for the Spring 2010 season are now void and shall be replaced by the following rules:
  1. Each player will choose five (5) active series and two (2) bench series of the Spring 2012 season, listed in the next post. Please note that movies/OVAs/ONAs/specials are not in the list.
  2. Sequels can be used freely in your team. Spinoffs/remakes are also fine. However the anime "Fate/Zero 2nd Season" is a special exception and won't be eligible to be chosen as part of your team.
  3. The spring season starts on April 1st, 2012.
  4. Points will only accumulate within the 14 weeks this event is in session. Later episodes and weeks will not count towards your score. Only the anime on the player's active list will score points; the bench anime will not score any points.
  5. A player may swap up to three (3) anime in the entire season. The player can only swap every three weeks.
    Click here to learn more about bench swaps
  6. Players are not required to be active for the duration of this event. Nor are they required to actually watch the anime in their team. They simply need to set a bracket at the beginning, let their anime rack up points, and swap benches and/or use the wildcard/aces when they feel it's beneficial to their score.
  7. In the event that at the end of the FAL season two or more players wind up with the same score, their bench anime will be used as a tie breaker. The player with bench anime that scores the most points in the entire season wins.

We'll award the top 3 with a banner for extra bragging rights.

If you decide/need to change your username while FAL is running, you must PM the FAL Staff with your username change immediately. Swaps, aces, and wildcard requests will be rendered invalid if the team player's name has been changed without notifying the staff!

Registration

After you've read the rules, made your team and are ready to register, you can register by PMing FALbot in the format below. You must submit your registration in this format for your team to be correctly entered into the database. Copy and paste the series names from the list of eligible anime in the next post. Username must be the exact username as on MAL, do not make up another username.
Team: Username
AnimeName1
AnimeName2
AnimeName3
AnimeName4
AnimeName5
AnimeName6
AnimeName7
AnimeName#: These are the names of eligible anime in the next post.
The last two (AnimeName6 and AnimeName7) are your bench series.

For example:

Registration will need to be done before April 1st, 18:00 UTC for your team to qualify. In there's a problem with this deadline, please feel free to contact the FAL Staff to discuss it.

Points Criteria

Automatically awarded points:
The following points are awarded without any input from the player over the course of the FAL season:
  • Weekly points:
    • +1 point for each user who has anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week on MAL.
    • Double the anime's "Currently Watching" points for the week if four or less players have it on their active team.
    • +25 points for each forum post in the anime's episode discussion threads in the previous two weeks (counted every two weeks).

• Points scored only once:
    • +1000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 7.
    • +2000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of FAL season (week 14).
    • -5 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 7.
    • -10 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" at the end of FAL season (week 14).
    • +30 points for every user favoriting the anime at the end of FAL season (week 14).

Strategically awarded points:
The following points are determined based on the player's discretion.
  • Wildcard
    All players are given the opportunity to choose one of the following options as a wildcard starting on Week 9 of the season:
    1. The booster. Add a one-time 500 point bonus to the team's score for the week.
    2. The nuke (up version). At a cost of 250 points, subtract 1000 points from the team above or at the same rank as the player in the team ranking of the previous week (in other words, the most recently available team rankings).
    3. The nuke (down version). At a cost of 250 points, subtract 1000 points from the team below, or at the same rank as the player in the team ranking of the previous week (in other words, the most recently available team rankings).
    4. An extra swap. At a cost of 200 points, swap a bench anime with an active anime one more time. It also allows you to swap immediately. If you use this send the PM saying you want a swap and make a post in the swaps thread like how you would normally swap.
    If you're nuking and the rank above/below is shared by more than 1 person, the nuke receiver will be determined randomly.
  • Ace
    In any week of the season, an anime in your active team may be declared as the "Ace". The Ace will take effect the next time the scores are tallied. You will receive:
    • +1000 points if the "Ace" becomes the anime with the most points in your team for that week.
    • -1000 points if the "Ace" does not become the anime with the most points in your team for that week.
    Furthermore,
    • Each anime in your team may only be declared as the "Ace" once per season.
    • Aces are available as soon as the season begins.

Wildcards and Aces are used by PMing FALbot with your choice.
LunaSep 19, 2012 9:44 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 25, 2012 1:01 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
The following anime are eligible this season:

AKB0048
Accel World
Acchi Kocchi
Arashi no Yoru ni: Himitsu no Tomodachi
Baku Tech! Bakugan
Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit Hen
Eureka Seven AO
Furusato Saisei: Nihon no Mukashi Banashi
Gakkatsu
Ginga e Kickoff!!
Gon
Haiyoru! Nyaruko-san
Hiiro no Kakera
Himitsukessha Taka no Tsume NEO
Hyouka
Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone
Jewelpet Kira Deco!
Jormungand
Kimi to Boku. 2
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka of the Dead
Kuro Majo-san ga Tooru!!
Kuroko no Basket
Little Charo: Touhoku-hen
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
Medaka Box
Metal Fight Beyblade Zero G
Minuscule: Chiisana Mushi no Monogatari
removed in week 5 (French animation)
Natsuiro Kiseki
Nazo no Kanojo X
Pabu & Mojizu
Panda no Taputapu
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2
Pretty Rhythm: Dear My Future
Queens Blade: Rebellion
Recorder to Randoseru Re♪
Ribbon-chan
Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden
Saint Seiya Omega
Sakamichi no Apollon
Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A
Sankarea
Sengoku Collection
Shiba Inuko-san
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan
Shirokuma Cafe
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Tsuritama
Uchuu Kyoudai
Yurumates 3D
Zetman
Zumomo to Nupepe

The following anime are ineligible and can NOT be chosen:

Again, make sure you check the post above to read how to correctly register for the FAL Spring 2012 season. It is important to copy and paste the titles so that they match with the titles listed in our database.

If we are missing any anime or any of the above information is incorrect as it pertains to the Spring 2012 season, please let us know ASAP!
LunaMay 6, 2012 8:46 AM
Mar 25, 2012 3:24 AM

Jun 2008
Just a question. Why is Fate/Zero 2 blacklisted? Wouldn't Kimi to Boku. 2 be for the same reason? (I'm assuming a split season??)
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 25, 2012 4:05 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
sbyrstall said:
Just a question. Why is Fate/Zero 2 blacklisted? Wouldn't Kimi to Boku. 2 be for the same reason? (I'm assuming a split season??)

We decided to exclude Fate/Zero 2nd Season because it's too popular. Almost everyone would choose it which means you have only 4+2 anime left to pick.
Mar 25, 2012 4:26 AM

Nov 2008
Luna_ said:
sbyrstall said:

We decided to exclude Fate/Zero 2nd Season because it's too popular. Almost everyone would choose it which means you have only 4+2 anime left to pick.
So, why isn't Eureka Seven AO on the blacklist then?

Fate/Zero: 37,095 Members

Eureka Seven: 74,902 Members

I know it has been five years since the first season, but with that many members and the high rating (8.33) for the original, it will surely do well.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 25, 2012 4:54 AM

Sep 2008
What about Upotte?
Mar 25, 2012 6:30 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
FOEbulous-max said:
So, why isn't Eureka Seven AO on the blacklist then?

Fate/Zero: 37,095 Members

Eureka Seven: 74,902 Members

I know it has been five years since the first season, but with that many members and the high rating (8.33) for the original, it will surely do well.

The decision was mainly made based on the plan to watch numbers of the anime of the coming season. If you compare Fate/Zero 2 to the other series it really stands out. Plus it's a direct continuation and it's highly likely that most of these people will watch it as soon as it airs while for other series more people might to decide to watch it only later.

It's always been an issue if sequels should be included at all. This time we decided to keep them and see how it works. It's a bit hard to predict everything because there have been some changes since the last FAL season (more users, we changed the points criteria, etc.). So we'll need at least one game to see how everything develops and can then make changes to improve further games. If you have any suggestions now or later about anything, you are welcome to post them into the suggestions thread we made.

seishi-sama said:
What about Upotte?

It's most probably an ONA, so we decided to not include it.
I added it to the list of ineligible titles and the anime entry will be changed as soon as there is concrete information about it. If it is, however, a TV series and we know this soon, we might add it to the eligible titles.
Mar 25, 2012 7:59 AM

Sep 2008
Another issue I just thought about: preview airings. Hiiro no Kakera already has an episode released and subbed, Accel World, Natsuiro Kiseki and Hyouka are going to receive preview broadcast as well, which could, or could not be subbed. How are those going to be handled?
Mar 25, 2012 12:01 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
seishi-sama said:
Another issue I just thought about: preview airings. Hiiro no Kakera already has an episode released and subbed, Accel World, Natsuiro Kiseki and Hyouka are going to receive preview broadcast as well, which could, or could not be subbed. How are those going to be handled?

This time we decided to keep all series that had or will have pre-airing episodes, but this might change in the next seasons. Generally it depends on each individual series and not all pre-airings are the same. Often they are limited to a very small audience, they air only after registration is closed, etc.

Hiiro no Kakera is a special case because there already exists a subbed version. Pre-airing episodes can indicate how popular a series might become, but it's not definitive. If it had a large number of watchers after this episode we'd problably exclude it, but in this case we think it's no problem. It's also something we want to see how it works out.
Mar 25, 2012 1:22 PM

Jun 2010
Just confirming, I should register here in this thread right? Because no one is still registering.
Mar 25, 2012 1:27 PM

Jun 2011
MgZ you must have missed this bolded information above;
you can register by PMing FALbot
in the proper format, of course. :3
Mar 25, 2012 1:31 PM

Jun 2010
Oh yeah, Sorry. My bad. And thanks :D
Mar 25, 2012 1:32 PM

Mar 2011
I got a question about the wildcards.
What would i do if i wanted to use one?
And what would i pm if i wanted to pick an ace?
[Input amazing signature]
Jelly?
Mar 25, 2012 1:44 PM

Oct 2011
How do you seperate the benched from the active in the PM? And I capitalized my name will that be a problem?
JustEasyMar 25, 2012 7:43 PM
Mar 25, 2012 2:11 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Please take your time and read the rules carefully. We know it's a lot and you can't perhaps understand everything immediately, but after reading it several times it should become clearer :)

BossTheKid said:
I got a question about the wildcards.
What would i do if i wanted to use one?
And what would i pm if i wanted to pick an ace?

Just put the name of the wildcard in a PM and send it to FALbot. Don't forget that there are two different nuke versions and you need to specify if you want to use the up or down version.
Same for aces, send the anime title you want to declare as the ace to FALbot.

dczzz said:
How do you seperate the benched from the active in the PM? And I bolded my name will that be a problem?

It's written in the rules:
Registration part said:
The last two (AnimeName6 and AnimeName7) are your bench series.

And please no extra formatting. Everything that isn't conform with the format creates more work for us.
Mar 25, 2012 3:33 PM

Jun 2008
Luna_ said:
sbyrstall said:

Fair enough. Just curious as the reasoning.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 25, 2012 6:57 PM

Oct 2009
Is there a cap to how many people can participate in this?
Mar 25, 2012 8:14 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
bci110 said:
Is there a cap to how many people can participate in this?
Nope! We would like as many users as possible to participate :)
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 25, 2012 10:23 PM

Aug 2008
I just realised this. No more points awarded when a fansub group picks up a show, right?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Mar 25, 2012 10:47 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Leinel said:
I just realised this. No more points awarded when a fansub group picks up a show, right?

That's right. No points for fansub groups or licenses.
Mar 25, 2012 11:18 PM

Aug 2010
Question about forum points. Let's say someone posts in the episode 1 fourm on week 9. Would that still count or would it have to be on a post that is in the current week?
Mar 26, 2012 12:08 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
jakeisquite said:
Question about forum points. Let's say someone posts in the episode 1 fourm on week 9. Would that still count or would it have to be on a post that is in the current week?

The posts in all episode discussion threads count, it doesn't depend on the episode number. So if in week 6 for example 5 episode discussion threads exist, you'll get points for all new posts that were made in these 5 threads. "New posts" mean that we only count the posts that were made in the previous two weeks, so every post counts only once.
And please note that you'll get these points in even weeks :)
Mar 26, 2012 4:10 PM

Jun 2010
Question: I can't change my team if I already sent the registration right? Even if it's before the deadline?
Mar 26, 2012 4:50 PM

Apr 2010
Question:
In the PM what do I put in Subject space?
Mar 26, 2012 5:12 PM

Mar 2008
Clarification needed:
Just 1 team swap allowed per 3 weeks? As in, once a swap has taken place, we are not allowed to swap again for the next 3 weeks?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2012 8:07 PM

Dec 2007
For the animes that will air half way through the month, like Hyouka which will air the 14th, how will they affect our points? Would we need to put these animes on the bench and have another anime that airs earlier in its place then use one of the swaps.
Mar 26, 2012 10:17 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
-MgZ_ said:
Question: I can't change my team if I already sent the registration right? Even if it's before the deadline?

You can change your team if there's an obvious error in your registration (which we would tell you about) or if we change the list of eligible anime and this affects your team. Other than that, no. It would be too messy if everyone sent several teams, sorry.

TiagoCosta said:
Question:
In the PM what do I put in Subject space?

Doesn't really matter, you can use something like "FAL registration" and add your username :)

Chasekun said:
Clarification needed:
Just 1 team swap allowed per 3 weeks? As in, once a swap has taken place, we are not allowed to swap again for the next 3 weeks?

If you swap in say week 2 then you can next swap in week 5, so always two weeks inbetween where you can't swap. If you use the wildcard extra swap you can swap immediately :) (but you can use this wildcard only once and then no other wildcard)

evilchris said:
For the animes that will air half way through the month, like Hyouka which will air the 14th, how will they affect our points? Would we need to put these animes on the bench and have another anime that airs earlier in its place then use one of the swaps.

If they air later, you won't get any points for them in earlier weeks. It's part of the game to take this into account and it'd be reasonable to put these on the bench first ;)
Mar 27, 2012 7:19 AM

Mar 2008
Thanks for clarifying, Luna :) Appreciate your effort (and others) for hosting this ^.^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2012 4:12 PM

Jun 2009
When will the points be tallied for Week 1? Because there is an anime which I think will be popular starting on April 9th...
Mar 27, 2012 5:48 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
BlackKnight27 said:
When will the points be tallied for Week 1? Because there is an anime which I think will be popular starting on April 9th...
Each week ends (and a new week begins) on Sunday at 18:00 UTC when the swaps thread is closed for that week. Points are tallied soon after the swaps thread is closed. Week 1 results will be posted on April 8th. See the spoiler for the schedule:

NaruleachApr 15, 2012 11:09 AM
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 28, 2012 3:38 PM
Mar 2011
Will you check there's no obvious cheating or suspicious behaviour such as spamming posts into particular series episode threads?

Will we be kept up to date with the scores throughout?
Mar 28, 2012 6:56 PM

Feb 2010
RudeKoffing said:
Will you check there's no obvious cheating or suspicious behaviour such as spamming posts into particular series episode threads?

Is it okay if we post and discuss in the episode discussion forums though?

edit:

Also, it's clear that if I switch in week 2 I'd have to wait 2 weeks until I can switch again, but I can I switch more than one series in the same week?
AlcoholicideMar 28, 2012 8:14 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 28, 2012 9:33 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
RudeKoffing said:

Spamming posts is never allowed, so if you see spam please use the report link below the post and the moderators will handle it. If you think this happens particularly often or find other suspicious behavior outside the forum you can contact the FAL staff.

Will we be kept up to date with the scores throughout?

See Naruleach's answer, there's a schedule in the spoiler.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Also, it's clear that if I switch in week 2 I'd have to wait 2 weeks until I can switch again, but I can I switch more than one series in the same week?

No, only one swap at a time is allowed. You can edit your post if you change your mind before the deadline. But if you make two swaps, only the first one will be used.
LunaMar 28, 2012 11:47 PM
Mar 30, 2012 5:47 AM

Jan 2008
quick question:

is there a deadline for declaring a series an Ace for a week?
Mar 30, 2012 5:59 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Zhao_Yun said:
quick question:

is there a deadline for declaring a series an Ace for a week?

Same deadline as for swaps, see here. This info will also be available in the club as soon as the game starts :)
Apr 1, 2012 11:27 AM

Mar 2007
Registration for Spring 2012 FAL is now closed.

Apologies if you didn't make it this season, but be sure to come back in the fall and check us out! Thanks to everyone who registered and good luck!
You've come a long way, baby.
Apr 1, 2012 9:43 PM

Feb 2009
Ah, I read too late. I saw it live again the club.

Good luck for all the participants.
Apr 3, 2012 4:02 PM

Feb 2010
So, the question might be stupid, but if I swap something during this first week, the points will be rewarded on sunday for the new series I swapped in or does the swap take effect only after the points for the week are counted?
Apr 4, 2012 9:14 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
So, the question might be stupid, but if I swap something during this first week, the points will be rewarded on sunday for the new series I swapped in or does the swap take effect only after the points for the week are counted?

Everything you're doing during the week (swaps, aces, and later wildcards) counts for this particular week and will be included in the results which will be posted at the end of the week. So if you swap something now, you'll get points for the series you swapped in.

Also, processing swaps takes place before aces. So you can also declare one of your benched anime as the ace if you make a swap request at the same time.
Apr 5, 2012 12:52 AM

Sep 2008
Luna_ said:

Everything you're doing during the week (swaps, aces, and later wildcards) counts for this particular week and will be included in the results which will be posted at the end of the week. So if you swap something now, you'll get points for the series you swapped in.

Wasn't it different before? I think the swaps were previously counted for the next week, no?

Also, while we're at it, there's something I've forgotten to ask:
The player can only swap every three weeks.

So, if a player makes a swap on the week 1, the next swap is allowed on the week 4? Or after week 4 = week 5?
Apr 5, 2012 3:35 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
seishi-sama said:
Wasn't it different before? I think the swaps were previously counted for the next week, no?

I checked it and at least in FAL Spring 2010 it was like we do it now.
So people swapped something after week 1 (which means during week 2) and the series they swapped in scored points for the active team at the end of week 2.

Also, while we're at it, there's something I've forgotten to ask:
The player can only swap every three weeks.

So, if a player makes a swap on the week 1, the next swap is allowed on the week 4? Or after week 4 = week 5?

I already explained it in this thread, but once again:

If you make a swap in week 1 then you can make the next swap in week 4, so always two weeks inbetween where you can't swap. If you use the wildcard extra swap you can swap immediately (but you can use this wildcard only once and then no other wildcard).
LunaApr 5, 2012 3:38 AM
Apr 5, 2012 3:53 AM

Sep 2008
Luna_ said:
seishi-sama said:

I checked it and at least in FAL Spring 2010 it was like we do it now.
So people swapped something after week 1 (which means during week 2) and the series they swapped in scored points for the active team at the end of week 2.

Well yeah, I guess I asked a bit different thing here...in the previous FAL tournaments, it wasn't allowed to swap on the week 1. As far as I understand the current rule, and according to this explanation -
Luna_ said:

it looks like now we can swap as early as the week 1, and the swaps will be counted for week 1 as well, which renders the whole purpose of starting team rather pointless since people that picked a show that doesn't air on week 1 can easily correct their mistake by swapping it right away.
Apr 5, 2012 8:57 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
seishi-sama said:
Well yeah, I guess I asked a bit different thing here...in the previous FAL tournaments, it wasn't allowed to swap on the week 1.

Okay now I understand what you meant. Well, there was no explicit rule which told you that swaps were allowed only with the beginning of week 2 (at least I can't find one). The swap thread just opened only at the beginning of week 2.

seishi-sama said:
it looks like now we can swap as early as the week 1, and the swaps will be counted for week 1 as well, which renders the whole purpose of starting team rather pointless since people that picked a show that doesn't air on week 1 can easily correct their mistake by swapping it right away

One problem are series that have pre-airing episodes. MAL lists the first airing date (i.e. the pre-airing date) and we got some complaints from people who didn't see this earlier. But that's not the only reason, editing your team before registration closes was already possible with the FALapp. We don't have a FALapp now and we didn't want to accept team changes via PM so we decided to open the swap thread earlier. This is an exception now, we'll clearly state next time how we'll handle team changes (if we allow them) and when the swap thread will be opened.
Apr 5, 2012 11:49 AM

Sep 2008
Ok, it's not that I'm too concerned about it, it's just a game after all. :) Maybe I'll post some of my thoughts about that in the FAL club suggestions thread later.
Apr 5, 2012 12:29 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Yeah that's true :) And as I said here, we'll need at least one game to evaluate everything.
Suggestions about that or anything else are always very welcome!
Apr 5, 2012 6:57 PM

Dec 2007
What is the format like for messaging FALbot with our wildcards/aces?
Apr 5, 2012 8:45 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
evilchris said:
What is the format like for messaging FALbot with our wildcards/aces?

No special format is required, just write something like
Ace: series title
Wildcard: your chosen wildcard
Apr 6, 2012 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
I just realized - what about a show that ends during the season (kore wa zombie only has 10 episodes announced)? Are points still awarded the weeks after that? And I assume I'll have to have it on my active team in week 14 if I want to score the end points for it?
Apr 6, 2012 9:26 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I just realized - what about a show that ends during the season (kore wa zombie only has 10 episodes announced)? Are points still awarded the weeks after that? And I assume I'll have to have it on my active team in week 14 if I want to score the end points for it?

Sure, you'll get all points even after the series has ended. That's why we also count "users completed". Well, there won't be new episode discussion threads, but you'll still get points for new posts in the old threads.
And yes, to get the additional points (score, favorites, dropped) the series must be on the active team.
Apr 7, 2012 9:00 AM

Feb 2010
Okay, thanks. My Eureka Seven Ao becomes more useless with every answered question xD
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Voting

Nate - Apr 22

13 by Shino »»
44 minutes ago

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (April 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Apr 21

18 by ElyTheIrenic »»
9 hours ago

» [CLOSED] Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Nominations

Nate - Apr 1

9 by Nate »»
Apr 22, 6:14 AM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (April 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

8 by KarenShirotori »»
Apr 21, 4:05 AM

» Best Profile Design (January 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Feb 4

7 by batslimeman »»
Apr 17, 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.