Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 2012 9:47 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I can't help myself but watch this show right away even when I'm really tired. Marika and the crew enter the ghost ship and Grunhilde has her crew on the ship as well. Nice scene between Marika and Gruier about asking for help when you need it (like a prince and a princess, but I don't consider Marika a prince). I liked how the crew of the Bentermaru simply bust through doors if they can't open them normally, and it helps having a cyborg to do this.

Apparently the whole key to ship (along with being a Noah's ark) was to artificially create the royal family. Gruier wants to destroy it while Grunhilde wants to bring it back to the royal family. Both get what they want since Marika had already contacted the other crew and they realized that they could work together since the artificial egg had given birth to its last baby.

New ED this week, but seems like a one week deal. Next week starts a new arc.
prismheartMar 24, 2012 10:00 AM
Mar 24, 2012 9:48 AM
Sep 2011
I have to say, the producers outdid themselves with this episode once again.
It's incredible how many details were put in this, making the exploration of the ship an intriguing experience. I also liked the allusions to topics like civilization and culture.

In the end everything is resolved peacefully and it becomes clear that Marika has planned this all along. The Bentenmaru certainly made the right choice by making such a smart girl their captain.
Mar 24, 2012 9:56 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
I liked it, but I can already hear the complaints from those who are expecting something else.

So, the only real conflict in Serenity was between the two princesses, but when you're royalty that's all you need to push things to war, which apparently everybody else wanted to avoid. It 'simply' took a third party willing to trample all over royal protocol to resolve the situation.

Interesting, from the preview it looks like the two princesses abdicate and attach themselves to Marika. I guess we're not going to get away from High School, at least for a while longer.
Mar 24, 2012 10:32 AM
Feb 2012
Space Hulk and the Citadel all rolled into one. And next week it's...the Planet of Boring again.

Oh well, here's hoping to the original arc.
Mar 24, 2012 10:34 AM

Nov 2008
I wasn't expecting the entire colony to be recovered that was nice, glad the conflict is over and as a bonus we will see more of both princesses who gave up the throne for Marika, that's good because I'm starting to like Grunhilde a lot, it's too early to see her go. That fight was so staged and most of the conflict resolution was staged by Marika as well.

That's a nice gene bank there, it's actually the even higher tech versions of seed banks we have today, that room had actual animals for extracting DNA from not to mention artificial eggs, which one produced it's last baby, I'm loving that the tech in this series covers all aspects of life even reproduction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_bank

5/5

Mar 24, 2012 11:14 AM

Feb 2012
"Everything works out when you're a pirate!" That made me wish I was part of their crew xD
Mar 24, 2012 11:19 AM
Jan 2011
Nice one
Mar 24, 2012 11:21 AM

Dec 2011
Awesome episode, the insides of the ghost ship were really astounding!
Mar 24, 2012 11:34 AM

Nov 2011
this episode was amazing!
Mar 24, 2012 11:37 AM

Feb 2007
I'm a bit disappointed. This turned out to be pretty anti-climactic. It seems to me that this series is more of a slice-of-life show masquerading as an action/adventure show. It would help if they had at least introduced us a bit more to the world of Serenity, so we could have gotten a better idea of what the political situation there is. Then it might have felt more like something was resolved by the end of the arc rather than it feeling like there was never any problem at all.
Mar 24, 2012 11:42 AM
Mar 2012
Loved this episode. Marika's talk with Gruelle about knowing when to ask for help and her explaining to Gruelle about "up" and "down" were great moments and her mentioning about how in space you're alone was a callback to some earlier episodes.

Gruelle's comment about the people not needing the royal family makes it sound like the royal family are the "face" of the government like Queen Elizabeth II(of the U.K) and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge(William and Kate), but the ones that actually shoulder the responsibilities of governing are others that don't get as much press.

Glad to see that Jenny will be in the next episode. Interesting that she's on a screen talking to Lynn.
Mar 24, 2012 11:54 AM

Oct 2011
Schnitzer is so cute <3

and that ship :) WOW
I loved the idea of city inside it

so I was right about those clone/artificially made people teory and the "rose"
but scene with that children was a bit creepy to be honest

Golden Ship arriving at Serenity was a great scene
Dalek-bakaMar 24, 2012 11:58 AM
Mar 24, 2012 12:35 PM

Aug 2010
Nice episode

I like how moretsu pirates manages to do stuff without blowing shit up. So the Ship is something like an ark, as expected. And even without that "artificial womb" thingy, that ship is worth more than it's weight in gold, from a cultural point of view.

And all's well that ends well. The two feuding princesses got a slap on their wrist and got told "be good", and we return home. Looks like "Prince" Marika has now added another princess to "his" harem. And now she's having not one but TWO princesses for dinner.

Right on there, Cpt. Kato, steal their hearts!

(Btw, Marikoa should totally sing that "You are a Pirate" song)
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Mar 24, 2012 1:04 PM

Apr 2010
Marika might not have seen it as treasure at first but that ship certainly was a treasure trove.
So much knowledge stored in one place is just amazing not to mention the size of it all which was enormous.
I also liked that city again it looked pretty interesting and it was perfectly shaped to create gravity so it didn't matter where you where in that city you always had gravity.
That is if the city was spinning.

There where also some nice loop holes in this episode which made it very unpredictable and very interesting to watch i loved how they fooled the princesses.
And made apart together.
Mar 24, 2012 1:22 PM
Mar 2011
love it! this series has a potential to become a long running one (after this first one) if they dont somehow mess up the atmosphere and how the show is presented. i like the side story of Marika still trying to find out more about her father, little by little each episode.
"....i am the villain in this story"
Mar 24, 2012 1:29 PM
Feb 2012
amginex said:
love it! this series has a potential to become a long running one (after this first one) if they dont somehow mess up the atmosphere and how the show is presented. i like the side story of Marika still trying to find out more about her father, little by little each episode.

Really? It seems like she doesn't really care about her father that much beyond passing conversation.
Mar 24, 2012 1:43 PM

Oct 2011
Theo333 said:
amginex said:

Really? It seems like she doesn't really care about her father that much beyond passing conversation.

I agree it's rather that others are just telling her random stuff about her father
and I don't know if she cares too much about it - but with badass mother like this who needs another role model ;)
Dalek-bakaMar 24, 2012 1:57 PM
Mar 24, 2012 1:50 PM

Jan 2012
And I was hoping for a battle to occur...Oh, well it didn't happen but it was another interesting episode worth watching.
10/10

Mar 24, 2012 1:51 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Interesting ep, ....but for the love of God where is Chiiaaakkiiii-chan!???
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 24, 2012 4:05 PM

Nov 2008
Very interesting episode - I was also curious why all the 'hub bub' about a ghost ship - it wouldnt be 'treasure' like wealth that could have been taken ages ago if the Royal line required such as they seemed to know exactly where it was (general area and track-able) So I was curious if there something biological* or something historical that would make its value so great.. And something 2 heirs to a Royal throne would nearly cause a small scale civil war over - and it turned out to be sort of like that lol.

I wonder if they really did abdicate as some users speculate or simply are 'going to study abroad' I mean neither would be ruling anytime soon I dont think. - I mean to just end a monarchy like that is sort of... well.. I usually wouldn't be politically or economically wise lol So I wonder what really happened and Greetings to the new Crowned Prince (It looked like a boy to me but maybe im wrong lol) if there is still a kingdom - questions shall answered next week - great episode ;3
Mar 24, 2012 4:36 PM

Jul 2011
Cratex said:
I liked it, but I can already hear the complaints from those who are expecting something else.

So, the only real conflict in Serenity was between the two princesses, but when you're royalty that's all you need to push things to war, which apparently everybody else wanted to avoid. It 'simply' took a third party willing to trample all over royal protocol to resolve the situation.

Interesting, from the preview it looks like the two princesses abdicate and attach themselves to Marika. I guess we're not going to get away from High School, at least for a while longer.

New ending was great!

I have to admit though, I want some battling. It always gets me excited... and it's so smart. XD

Love Moretsu <3

EDIT: Re-watching this series, I love this episode.

Especially when it touched upon the gene bank and showed the dystopia city within the ship.
MirorinApr 6, 2015 12:42 PM
Mar 24, 2012 4:45 PM
Dec 2007
Ever so great episode.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 24, 2012 5:02 PM

Jun 2009
Wow, great episode after last week's one during which i almost fell asleep. Funny how the whole conflict was actually reduced to a quarell of 2 princesses (or was it a princess and a price?) but the episode was enjoyable. I did expect some fighting when they were exploring the gold ship, but it went by nicely even without it. Still, some battle in next episodes is more than welcome.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Mar 24, 2012 7:49 PM

Feb 2008
ok.....they got me there.
Mar 24, 2012 8:49 PM

Jul 2009
The new ED made it seem like it's the last episode... D:

Either way I'm liking this more and more. I can only hope it won't stop at 26 episodes.
Mar 24, 2012 8:57 PM

Dec 2008
The way I see it, just because the show has the word pirates in it doesn't mean that it needs to have battles and fight scenes in it. Judging from the atmosphere and tone of the series anyway, I would be absolutely speechless if blood was ever spilt in this series.

And it might be because of all the ME3 I've been playing, but I can't help but think that the treasure is the crucible or something.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Mar 24, 2012 9:02 PM

Dec 2011
Wow so the Serenity royal family is not legit(as in not babies from a womans womb). Interesting. Looks like Grieurs sister enrolls in the middle school.
Mar 24, 2012 9:24 PM

May 2010
Awesome episode.
Not something that you I can found on other anime lately.
Can't wait for her next adventure.
Mar 25, 2012 12:50 AM
Sep 2009
Again, another great episode. Got to love the way Marika intervened and found a peaceful solution to the two sisters conflict.
This show is still the best currently airing anime.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Mar 25, 2012 1:45 AM

Oct 2011
really amazing episode! truly breathtaking scenery in the ghost ship - makes one think in awe of the future of humanity and possibilities of genetic engineering, deep space travel, suspended animation, etc....scary and beautiful at the same time! nice to see some well developed science fiction anime (also the sound was truly breathtaking in this one)....
octal9Mar 25, 2012 1:50 AM
Mar 25, 2012 6:09 AM

Jan 2011
That was very good, one of the best episodes so far.
Lots of details everywhere, the insert at the ending was really nice, it gave the idea it was the end of the show.
Sound was also mind blowing, I'm really looking forward to more.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Mar 25, 2012 8:02 AM

Apr 2010
Pretty awesome episode, really liked the backgrounds in the Ghost Ship.

4/5
Mar 25, 2012 8:38 AM

Aug 2010
Anti-climatic, just like the rest of the show. I will switch perspective for the rest of the series, might enjoy it that way.
Mar 25, 2012 12:07 PM

Apr 2008
I approve of this SCIENCE.
Mar 28, 2012 2:11 AM

Jul 2011
I'm enjoying this show more and more
Mar 29, 2012 10:56 AM

Apr 2011
Me too!
Mar 29, 2012 7:25 PM

May 2011
I really love this ED song.

Really liked how this arc ended, can't wait for the next one!
Mar 31, 2012 7:37 AM

Jun 2008
CrakenX said:
I'm a bit disappointed. This turned out to be pretty anti-climactic. It seems to me that this series is more of a slice-of-life show masquerading as an action/adventure show. It would help if they had at least introduced us a bit more to the world of Serenity, so we could have gotten a better idea of what the political situation there is. Then it might have felt more like something was resolved by the end of the arc rather than it feeling like there was never any problem at all.

I agree. If they would like to play it more political and not go the action rude they should have given us more inside. Is like this show can't decide if it wants to be about silly schoolgirls playing pirates or be something more?
MonadApr 1, 2012 4:09 PM
Mar 31, 2012 4:04 PM

Aug 2011
Damn no Lost Child ED?! The new song was pretty good anyways.

Just when I thought it was about to turn in to an adrenaline pumping gun fight, they fizzled out the situation with a peaceful resolution. I totally understand how some people are getting mixed messages as to what they expected of this show and I'm slowly understanding what it wants to be week by week too.

The best part of this ep was seeing the inner workings of the ghost ship, the gene bank and artifical womb were really a sight to behold.
Apr 3, 2012 2:04 PM

Dec 2009
Good episode, my favorite thus far.

4/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 18, 2012 12:41 PM

Aug 2008
I feel like more could be done to make these episodes engaging. So far it's hard to follow, explanations are messy, and the point gets muddied.
Apr 24, 2012 1:29 AM

Nov 2010
This show is amazing. Speaking as a scientist myself, the science content is top-tier, legit, and engaging. The plot is tightly executed; a little contrite at times but still gets the story across with impact.
May 11, 2012 3:01 PM

Sep 2010
This show is really great, it's one of the best I've seen in a while actually. Finally a good story, I've missed that.

A funny thing was what Hyakume was talking about that certain monitor for a password and that he hasn't seen that technology in his life yet. Of course he was talking about subpixels from LCD displays.

And I love this ending, it's the same one as in episode 9.

I'm still curious to some facts about the ghost ship, I really want to see more of it and how it looked like in the city and stuff like that. What I also missed is what exactly when they got off the ship hundreds of years ago and why it float into space like this. More coverage please!
ObinderuMay 11, 2012 3:09 PM
Jun 29, 2012 9:39 AM

May 2010
Monad said:
CrakenX said:

I agree. If they would like to play it more political and not go the action rude they should have given us more inside. Is like this show can't decide if it wants to be about silly schoolgirls playing pirates or be something more?

Stop worrying about what the show "wants to be". That's not important. What's important is what the show *is*. Engage it on its own terms instead of trying to figure out what category it ought to be in.
“Money can't buy dere”
Jul 7, 2012 10:24 PM

Jun 2009
Really well done episode, the scenes inside the Ghost Ship were astounding and breathtakingly beautiful. I'm going to have to look up more of Satou Tatsuo's work after finishing this series, as I've been really impressed. Normally I'd probably complain about how this didn't go into much detail about Serenity but, considering this series is pretty much exclusively told through the eyes of Marika I think it actually works for the best in this situation. This is, after all, Marika's story after all and this was only one of her many adventures.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 4, 2013 10:10 AM

Oct 2011
The ghost ship was amazing, I'm glad Gruier finally found it. I'd have loved to hear more about its story. I loved this arc, looking forward to the next one!
Oct 19, 2013 10:52 PM

Mar 2012
I think the political situation is actually spelled out if you put all the pieces together. From what I gather, Serenity is transitioning from their traditional monarchy into a modern system of rule. The royal faction probably does not want to give up their power without a struggle, so a civil war was probably close to erupting.

The first hint we get is when Yotof and the Maid had to steal a battleship in order to deliver the required information to Marika and co. When they meet the 7th princess they tell her that the palace is fine, which was a bit confusing at the time but in retrospect it was them basically updating her on the civil war situation. Then again in episode 11 when Marika makes a comment on how Serenity is using such a large portion of their fleet to find the Golden Ship, the 7th princess is again troubled. The 7th Princess also makes a comment that the 8th princess is just a puppet, which suggests that the royal family is using her as a figurehead to champion their cause.

The artificial womb is likely the key to stop or start the war. With the womb in tact, it'd be a symbol that the royals can rally behind, even if it doesn't actually produce any tangible strategic benefits, ie, a morale booster. However, if it were to be destroyed, it'd be a huge blow to the royal cause, as that'd mean the royal bloodline would end in 1 generation, which pretty much dissolve any legitimacy the royals would have to keep up the monarchy.

This is probably why when they reach Serenity space at the end there were so many battleships in formation. They were probably waiting for the return of the 8th princess to signal the start of the war.

Edit: Didn't realize 13th episode was going to explain everything -_-
EsclairOct 19, 2013 11:22 PM
Nov 14, 2013 1:31 AM

Jul 2008
The ending was anti-climatic. I still don't get why those two were fighting over that ship. But then again naive royalty starting petty wars isn't exactly a new thing.
Jan 2, 2014 7:31 PM

May 2012
What a great and cute episode the ending was really nice and I sure liked the concept of that golden ghost ship! Let's see what's next!
Jun 14, 2014 3:35 AM

Aug 2013
I just can't get it out of my head that the ship looks really familiar. I finally figured it out: it looks like an elder scroll! XD

The exploration of the ghost ship reminded me of Mass Effect. I was half-expecting husks to come out tbh :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SymbolicLayer - Jan 7, 2012

162 by Beatnik »»
Feb 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Jun 30, 2012

91 by XXXXXXXXXIII »»
Dec 28, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 8 Discussion

prismheart - Feb 25, 2012

46 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 15, 2023 1:44 AM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 24 Discussion

Beave - Jun 16, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:57 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 21 Discussion

Eudaimonia - May 26, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.