Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Hajime no Ippo - Mashiba vs Kimura Episode 1 Discussion

Aug 25, 2016 7:02 PM

I really do like how all of the fights in this anime aren't completely predictable.

I could easily see Mashiba losing, but being offered a fight regardless due to his tenacity and obsession with winning, even if he did lose the title. I could have also seen Mashiba winning but being refused the fight due to it not being a swift victory. I like that there are many options to the outcome, and it isn't just black and white. I also love how this show makes you sympathize and understand all the fighters besides the person you're "supposed" to root for.

Oct 19, 2016 6:43 AM

NavyCherub said:
I was really mad that he didn't retire. Sort of ruined the emotion of the rest of the episode.

First i felt the same,but then again,I would've missed him,he's one of the best characters I've ever seen in an anime,so yeah,I'm glad he's back.
"You are the leaves bathing in the sun, I am the roots that grow in the dark."

Jan 7, 2017 2:42 PM

Such a good fight. Maybe my second favourite fight (after the rematch between Sendo and Ippo). This movie did Kimura right. He deserves so much more, but this is the only time the mangaka shone light on how much of a good boxer he actually is.The rest of the time he's just used as a butt monkey/comedic relief.

Another thing I hate is that Kimura actually had to come up with a K.O. punch himself, while Ippo always gets them gift-wrapped by the coach. Can't he afford to give his other boxers a bit more attention?

May 12, 2017 12:42 AM

That bastard sure made me worry about him damn it.

anyway it was a splendid match to be honest but it seems Mashiba's will to win was super strong after all, I was so nervous during the fight my hands sweated af.

After all it was a great movie 8/10

Jun 6, 2017 7:52 AM

Ippo's movie was meh. I prefer this over that any day :')

Kimura's match with Mashiba was intense.
And damn, he was cool in the ring~
He is one of my favorite character so I got all excited when I saw an anime title with his name in it. So kinda disappointed he didn't win :(
Hope I see him as the champion someday in the future :)

9/10
Modified by FinalFlash18, Jun 6, 2017 8:04 AM

Jul 18, 2017 8:46 PM

Dicklesworth said:
Damn, any time Mashiba fights we get some of the best anime fights in history.

It's funny how any time a serious fight happens that doesn't involve Ippo it's always godly amazing. Miyata's fight against Mashiba, and this were both the best fights in the series by far. Ippo's fights just get repetitive after a while.

All the shit with Kimura's dad and his situation as a whole was really well done, although I'm not sure how I feel about him not retiring. On the one hand I love the guy and obviously want to keep watching him in the series, but it also kind of took away the emotional impact. Also, that goofy shit at the end completely ruined a lot of Kimura's character development as a whole. I mean, i knew he wouldn't stay retired, and the gym goofiness is the charm of the show, but that happened way too fucking quickly.

All in all though, it was still probably the highest point of the series for me

Now we just need Aoki and Takamura to get a serious, 30+ minute long fight.

+1 I couldn't say it better

Aug 4, 2017 3:45 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Hajime never disappoints, while it may not have been the best of the fights of the series, it always has that required quality and enjoyability that makes it always a pleasure to watch one more "chapter" from this series.

I would reccomend people to take their time though, since I have found to enjoy the fights the best, IF I dont marathon everything at once.

Dec 15, 2017 6:27 PM

Manly tears. This OVA was very emotional with Kimura's retirement in the background and all the tension for his first champion matchup building up. I found it weird that coach Kamogawa wasn't there to guide him and find a good strategy for Kimura, he got to do it all by himself. Well, maybe they agreed that practising with Miyata for 2 weeks was a good plan for his fight against Mashiba. Although it actually looks that Shinobi, the 3rd coach is his and Aoki's trainer.
Another thing that's quite surprising is that he was kind of scared, Ippo actually beat Mashiba when he was pretty much only a begginer but he was already an experienced boxer. His record is quite good, although he hasn't had too many fights for being fighting for 5 years (16 fights in total before this one).
And Miyata being more strong than Kimura? Or wasn't he taking it really serious? I don't think Ippo's on his level or Aoki's. Sometimes the levels btwn weights makes me wondering. I would like to see a scale rank of power btwn all of them as of right now.

This fight was so intense, I was pretty sure Mashiba was going to win but made me have a second thought when Kimura connected his first punch and got his rhythm. But at the end it surprised me he finally lost, it could have went either way, but Mashiba's long arms and range was decisive.
I'm really glad Kimura decided to give himself a second chance, he was so close to getting the belt, he's improved and grown as a boxer and as a person so that's the best decision he could choose and I can relate and understand his choice. He has not so much apart from boxing.
Props to him, he's really grown on me. He will come back stronger and I'm sure he will get the belt next time he's fighting for the title. If he loses a title fight again in the future then I'm betting that this will be the time when he will definitely retire and work in his family bussiness.
Modified by MMiyamoto, Dec 15, 2017 6:33 PM

Feb 4, 2018 10:59 PM

Holy fucking shit!! THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Words can not describe how hype that fight was!!!!!! Not going to lie, but Kimura was one of my favorites in all of Ippo right from the get go. It is kinda sad to see that he is the least popular for the main characters!

But he deserved this Title Match. Unlike Champion's Road, the stakes felt much higher. Cuz I mean of course Ippo won't lose his first defending title. But honestly I didn't know who was going to win right up till the end.

Thus sad, I was heartbroken to hear Kimura's upbringing and honestly... the feels in this were unmatched. Kimura's interactions with Miyata, Aoki and Mashiba was great! And it is what made the OVA. Why de helllll is the score for this so low on mal?????

EASILY A 10/10. Hope Kimura and Aoki get more time to shine in the new challenger. And can't wait to see the new cast addition ;)

P.S. Glad my boy did not retire

Mar 13, 2018 8:13 PM

It was very good special. No sh*t i almost cryed at the edn of the fight and i dont get to that by 95 of the animes i watch, inclouding the original hajime no ippo from 2000. I realy liked it and i think in a way it has the thing that the original didnt have. I cant belive that i was more moved from a suporting character that the main. Especialy from Kimura xD but in that special he was presented very....how to put it ...... human. And i realy love that kind of presentation. It has 8.7 from me.

Mar 13, 2018 8:18 PM

MajorsMaskLink said:
Holy fucking shit!! THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Words can not describe how hype that fight was!!!!!! Not going to lie, but Kimura was one of my favorites in all of Ippo right from the get go. It is kinda sad to see that he is the least popular for the main characters!

But he deserved this Title Match. Unlike Champion's Road, the stakes felt much higher. Cuz I mean of course Ippo won't lose his first defending title. But honestly I didn't know who was going to win right up till the end.

Thus sad, I was heartbroken to hear Kimura's upbringing and honestly... the feels in this were unmatched. Kimura's interactions with Miyata, Aoki and Mashiba was great! And it is what made the OVA. Why de helllll is the score for this so low on mal?????

EASILY A 10/10. Hope Kimura and Aoki get more time to shine in the new challenger. And can't wait to see the new cast addition ;)

P.S. Glad my boy did not retire

100% agree whit you. The stakes realy felt much higher and i didnt know who will win until the end.

May 9, 2018 2:10 AM

One of the best fights of the series, it was emotional, dramatic, and really refreshing, since we are not commonly inside Kimura's perspective, I loved the way they made his relationship with lots of his friends and family, it's almost like there's something to tell about everyone: He is now really inspired by Ippo, his mutual compromise with Aoki is awesome, he lost respect for his father in his childhood, and all of that is treated perfectly, great ova, a little better and focused than Champion Road.

Aug 16, 2018 3:57 AM

I really liked this OVA! I am slightly pissed at the fake drama with Kimura's retirement, but at the same time it was very effective and made me root for him even harder! He would have deserved to win, but at the same time, Mashiba also deserved the win. He's just that good.

I found it a bit strange that Miyata was the personal trainer for this fight... this dude LOST to Mashiba! Don't learn from him!

Nov 23, 2018 3:59 AM

Usually Kimura got like less than 30 secs fight.. but now full 1 hour with the buildup?
For the first time I don't know who's going to win
That "I have to learn flower's names too" kinda give it away

Kimura, noo :(
Nvm.. What's all of my tears for?
I guess to make it more "dangerous"
"Signature removed"

Jan 30, 8:16 PM

This was so intense and didn't expect the outcome to be Mashiba. I really really was disappointed that it wasn't Kimura.

The fight was so realistic that I forgot it was fictional, the outcome became almost realistic like it was live. Kimura deserved that fight, but when he started to shout out the belt I became unsure if they would make him win. I'm glad he didn't retire but I'm still disappointed by the outcome considering how hard he worked towards the fight. I didn't even laughed at their theatrics at the end, considering how sad I was.

7/10 for him losing basically, although it was way more enjoyable than that.
"You know the rules, kill them all and keep moving "--- Lil Wayne- John

Apr 11, 8:10 AM

This was an awesome fight. It's a shame Kimura didn't win, thought Mashiba is a taught opponent.

9/10.

Jun 16, 4:01 PM

For a special about a sidecharacter who always appeared to be somewhat weak, this was really interesting to see. At the start of the special I didn't think Kimura would win against that monster Mashiba, but somewhere around the middle of the fight Kimura really suprised me with how he holded his own against Mashiba. To think he could have won if only not for Mashiba being taller. If not for those 3 centimeters differencel, Kimura could have smacked the shit out of Mashiba and gained the title of Junior Lightweight Champion after 5 years of struggling.

Pretty good special, in my opinion better than the Champion Road movie.
Konichiwa fellow weebs
Noot Noot, mah brothas
Hee zeg makker

Pages (2) « 1 [2]