Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 21, 2012 10:17 AM

Sep 2010
Bloodcalibur said:
Anime_Name said:
I would imagine so, because while what you described is possible the percentage of people to fall into that category would be low. Speaks for itself why that makes it unlikely to find so many here who claim too be in that low percentage.

Or it could be that something as niche as anime naturally attracts the sort of people who are okay with going against the grain of public opinion.

Except that can be completely irrelevant with what I was explaining concerning chemical and neurological abnormalities in some people.

Chemical and neurological abnormalities are irrelevant to the portion of your comment I replied to.

You said x is abnormal and I offered an opinion on why x might be prevalent among a certain group.

Mar 21, 2012 10:25 AM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
Bloodcalibur said:
Anime_Name said:
I would imagine so, because while what you described is possible the percentage of people to fall into that category would be low. Speaks for itself why that makes it unlikely to find so many here who claim too be in that low percentage.

Or it could be that something as niche as anime naturally attracts the sort of people who are okay with going against the grain of public opinion.

Except that can be completely irrelevant with what I was explaining concerning chemical and neurological abnormalities in some people.

Chemical and neurological abnormalities are irrelevant to the portion of your comment I replied to.

You said x is abnormal and I offered an opinion on why x might be prevalent among a certain group.

I understand that, but what you don't understand is:
Anime_Name said:

Simply being"okay with going against the grain of public opinion" isn't the same thing as having chemical and neurological abnormalities. Those who possess those abnormalities simply wouldn't even care to begin with for them to even fathom the need to be "okay" with others' opinions.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Mar 21, 2012 10:31 AM

Sep 2010
Simply being"okay with going against the grain of public opinion" isn't the same thing as having chemical and neurological abnormalities.

Of course it isn't. I don't feel confident in clinically diagnosing people over the internet so I didn't use your explanation in my comment.

Those who possess those abnormalities simply wouldn't even care to begin with for them to even fathom the need to be "okay" with others' opinion.

I was unaware a difference between not caring and being "okay" with what others think existed. If such a differences does exist I would imagine it so small that any contention about it would purely be for show.

Mar 21, 2012 10:34 AM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
Those who possess those abnormalities simply wouldn't even care to begin with for them to even fathom the need to be "okay" with others' opinion.

I was unaware a difference between not caring and being "okay" with what others think existed. If such a differences does exist I would imagine it so small that any contention about it would purely be for show.

One can care about something but be okay and accepting of it. That's the fundamental difference between being incapable of caring about something and being okay with it.

Example: "I don't agree with your decision, but I'm okay with letting you go through with it."

vs

"You're asking the wrong person, I'm completely indifferent to this."
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Mar 21, 2012 11:00 AM

Mar 2010
Terminatez said:
I have never been "peer pressured" by anyone. That word doesn't exist in my vocabulary :) I'm independent and rely only on myself and no one else, nor do I care about anyone's opinions for me :)

Hm, that's pretty much me ^^ I'd rather say I'm the leader in my group of friends but I would never make any one of them do something horrible since I respect their opinions and free will
Mar 21, 2012 11:01 AM

Sep 2010
Bloodcalibur said:
Anime_Name said:

One can care about something but be okay and accepting of it. That's the fundamental difference between being incapable of caring about something and being okay with it.

A difference that doesn't matter at all to my comment as both the caring and the incapable of caring result in still being "okay" with it.

Mar 21, 2012 12:39 PM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
Bloodcalibur said:
Anime_Name said:

A difference that doesn't matter at all to my comment as both the caring and the incapable of caring result in still being "okay" with it.

That's a cute way to try to wiggle out of being fundamentally incorrect in an argument.

It goes back to my original point with you that your proposal is still completely irrelevant to mine about chemical and neurological imbalances.

Why can't more people just say, "my bad, I understand now."

Mar 21, 2012 10:35 PM

Sep 2010
Bloodcalibur said:

That's a cute way to try to wiggle out of being fundamentally incorrect in an argument.

It goes back to my original point with you that your proposal is still completely irrelevant to mine about chemical and neurological imbalances.

There's nothing incorrect about my statement. How a person reaches the state of being "okay" with peer pressure isn't a factor in my comment about anime attracting more of those sort of people.

You're so anxious to talk about those chemical and neurological imbalances that you keep bringing them up in replies to me even though they are irrelevant to my statement. The most that I will say about that theory is, "no comment."

Mar 22, 2012 12:51 AM

Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:

It is certainly an interesting claim, but I do not believe such people exist. I believe everyone wants to be accepted in society in some way, shape, or form, which makes them susceptible to peer pressure, unless as already pointed out there are extenuating circumstances of a biological/chemical nature. Now do keep in mind that I am by no means a psychologist, so there may very well be some flaws in such a train of thought, but I can honestly say I have never met anyone in real life that went against this principle.

Mar 22, 2012 2:31 AM

Sep 2010
rekindledflame said:

It is certainly an interesting claim, but I do not believe such people exist. I believe everyone wants to be accepted in society in some way, shape, or form, which makes them susceptible to peer pressure,

Individualism and Anticomformists do really exist even if you don't believe in them. The Neck in Sand theory of life doesn't make things go away.

unless as already pointed out there are extenuating circumstances of a biological/chemical nature. Now do keep in mind that I am by no means a psychologist, so there may very well be some flaws in such a train of thought, but I can honestly say I have never met anyone in real life that went against this principle.

Spoken like a true sheeple.
Anime_NameMar 22, 2012 2:47 AM

Mar 22, 2012 5:36 AM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
Bloodcalibur said:

There's nothing incorrect about my statement. How a person reaches the state of being "okay" with peer pressure isn't a factor in my comment about anime attracting more of those sort of people.

You're so anxious to talk about those chemical and neurological imbalances that you keep bringing them up in replies to me even though they are irrelevant to my statement. The most that I will say about that theory is, "no comment."

You obviously either don't get it or you're incapable of admitting that the intended point of your proposal in the manner of which you applied it to the discussion after the introduction of mine is irrelevant. So I'll stop here. I will add though that it never ceases to amuse me when I see people originally intend a certain specific to their statement and then switch to claiming a broader and more generalized interpretation of their statement when it gets challenged.

Besides, it seems rekindledflame touched up on it from a totally different angle, but effective.

rekindledflame said:
I believe everyone wants to be accepted in society in some way, shape, or form, which makes them susceptible to peer pressure, unless as already pointed out there are extenuating circumstances of a biological/chemical nature.

Mar 22, 2012 6:11 AM

Sep 2010
Bloodcalibur said:

You obviously either don't get it or you're incapable of admitting that the intended point of your proposal in the manner of which you applied it to the discussion after the introduction of mine is irrelevant.

I get that my point only had to do with a portion of your point and that the portion of your point you are insistent on bringing up isn't the portion that my point is related to.

So I'll stop here.

Magic 8-Ball says:Don't count on it

I will add though that it never ceases to amuse me when I see people originally intend a certain specific to their statement and then switch to claiming a broader and more generalized interpretation of their statement when it gets challenged.

And I am constantly amazed at the amount of trouble some people will go through to put words in others' mouths.

Mar 22, 2012 6:30 AM

Jan 2011
rekindledflame said:

It is certainly an interesting claim, but I do not believe such people exist. I believe everyone wants to be accepted in society in some way, shape, or form, which makes them susceptible to peer pressure...

I want to subjugate people to my will not be subjugated to theirs that's probably another form of being accepted but me and people like me are not susceptible to suffer from peer pressure.
Mar 22, 2012 12:43 PM

Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:

unless as already pointed out there are extenuating circumstances of a biological/chemical nature. Now do keep in mind that I am by no means a psychologist, so there may very well be some flaws in such a train of thought, but I can honestly say I have never met anyone in real life that went against this principle.

Spoken like a true sheeple.

I never made the claim individualists or anticonformists do not exist. What I did claim is everyone wants to be accepted in some way, shape or form, which makes them susceptible to peer pressure. While anime viewers may go against the "norm" in some regards there is still a social structure within anime. MAL itself is an example of this, with the numerous topics about people's ratings that revolve around complaining how someone rates. That is peer pressure, while not everyone gives into it, I fail to see how anime viewers are set apart magically because they engage in something the general populace does not regard in high esteem.

Of course this does not matter as you would result to terms of disparagement as a way to sweep away someone's opposing views rather than discuss them. But it does let me know that further discourse is pointless and unnecessary, so we'll end it there.
rekindledflameMar 22, 2012 12:53 PM

Mar 22, 2012 2:51 PM

Mar 2008
Thats horrible

I never was affected by peer pressure even for really moderate stuff because i think "fuck you i'll do what i want". If i give in to even little things then it makes me look week willed and that never impresses anyone.

ycart59 said:
AirStyles said:
Poor girl... FUCK! That really sucked, 5 YEARS!? GIVE HIM A FREAKING 20 AT LEAST! THE GIRL IS NOT COMING BACK!

I thought that it was his friends that drugged her, not him. I mean, yeah, he raped her, but that wasn't what killed her.

Not that I don't agree that his sentence needs to be a lot longer, though. Five years is bullshit.

Its a case of entrapment. He wouldnt have done it if they didnt talk him into it. Of course thats assuming he really was talked into it or if it was a part of him already its hard to tell how honest people are in this.

The people that drugged her and told him to do that are the conspirators so they would naturally get charged more.
traedMar 22, 2012 4:27 PM
Mar 22, 2012 8:37 PM

Feb 2012
I don't make friends like that. And if I had been STUPID enough to keep one like that... (I'm a girl but...) I would have decked each and every one of them, picked the chick up, and taken her to a hospital.
My best friend was drugged in HS by some dick that didn't want to chance that she would say no. She's fine but when I think about what COULD have happened...

There are two people in this world I would kill. Him and the chick that screwed up my hubby before I met him.

Luckilly, I'm a good judge of character and the worst friends I've made were drama-ridden moochers that I dropped pretty quick after.

Odds are, the "guy" in your story was some loser that "just wanted to be popular" take your popularity and shove it! I could have been popular at a certain point in HS. They had all been dicks to me when I was alkward so I pretty much told them where to go. Ten to one underaged drinking was involved on the "guys" part and that screws big time with your inhibitions.

Ladies (and gents) if you are in a public place and are drinking ANY liquid (especially in a club or drinking alchohal) watch your drink. Do not take an open drink from anyone that doesn't serve them, and if you are a doosh that will drug a girl anyway, unless you want her dead, don't mix them with booze. Booze screws up the the dosage/reacts badly with the drug. If you are out drinking in public, make sure you have a sober friend around.

Sorry to go "big sis" on you guys but, yeah... this, is serious and it happens more than you would believe.
sisgoodMar 22, 2012 8:44 PM
Mar 23, 2012 9:59 AM

Mar 2008
Vegeance said:
If people took the time to be a little less tenacious, it would be recognizable that there are multiple valid stances towards PP. Nevertheless, all friendships are conditional.
Mine are pretty close to unconditional.
Mar 23, 2012 10:17 AM

Feb 2012
traed said:
Vegeance said:
If people took the time to be a little less tenacious, it would be recognizable that there are multiple valid stances towards PP. Nevertheless, all friendships are conditional.

With the tendencies of human nature among other natural variables, some constant and unavoidable, that's hard to believe Traed.

Then again, you did say "close to". After all, achieving purity in condition in any form of relationship is impossible as long as sentient will exists.

Mar 23, 2012 10:24 AM

Mar 2008
Bloodcalibur said:
traed said:
Vegeance said:

With the tendencies of human nature among other natural variables, some constant and unavoidable, that's hard to believe Traed.

Then again, you did say "close to". After all, achieving purity in condition in any form of relationship is impossible as long as sentient will exists.
Its hard to explain. I wouldnt consider them a friend of mine if they are horrible but if they really need help I will be a friend to them out of hope of them becoming a better person so I wouldnt get much of out it. So my conditions can get pretty confusing so thats why i said close to unconditional.
Mar 23, 2012 3:31 PM
Aug 2008
traed said:
Bloodcalibur said:
traed said:
Vegeance said:

Its hard to explain. I wouldnt consider them a friend of mine if they are horrible but if they really need help I will be a friend to them out of hope of them becoming a better person so I wouldnt get much of out it. So my conditions can get pretty confusing so thats why i said close to unconditional.

What you might meant to say was that I have a higher tolerance threshold for certain people, with respect to befriending and that I am not as prejudicial as other people when it comes to establishing such social relationships and maintaining them. And if so, my conditions for befriendment are more laxed but well-defined to not exclude certain populations of which are normally otherwise would of been considered intolerable first hand as to negate any possibility of befriendment.
NequamMar 23, 2012 3:35 PM
Mar 23, 2012 3:42 PM

Mar 2012
I don't even know what kind of argument anyone is trying to make here anymore, lol.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 23, 2012 7:47 PM

Sep 2011
When i was a kid i got peer pressured at times. When i was 14 years old i hung around seniors and older people a lot. During spring break at a friends house i was just hanging out and they were all like, wtf you've been here all week and havent done shit. They ended up getting me to smoke weed for the first time and i was blown away and stuck.

Been peer pressured to drink and smoke when i was in high school but a lot of times it was my own doing.

Another incident was when some guy was trying to fk with me throughout the day back when i was a freshman. I was walking on a school dirt path where campuses were separated and no teachers or security walked often and that guy was there. I hung around some gang bangers and they said fk that, Just run up on him and hit him. So i did. Ran up behind him and binked him. followed through kicking his ass until people broke it up. i got suspended because his face got f'd up pretty badly and couldnt hide it.

As for being having to do things to for people to remain friends with me, that never happened. Smoking and drinking, they said i dont have to if i dont want to but its sad because you're missing out on the fun and just sitting there doing nothing etc. And as for fights, they were looking out for me so i dont sit there and take that abuse. After the fight, the guy never messed with me anymore and i got some reputation.

Good Times. Good Times.

Now as an adult, peer pressure is just kid nonsense that doesnt happen.

lpfManiak said:
A question for you, OP: do they have the Internet in jail?

Some have very limited access to the internet. Some people also have xboxes or playstations but don't think 360s are allowed. Only know people with the older versions.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Mar 24, 2012 6:12 PM

Mar 2012
I have never felt this sort of pressure to something that was so against my core principles. I guess it's because 1. My friends are good people who respect how I feel about things (even my one friend who is into some pretty shady stuff and often talks about it with me never pressures me at all) 2. Even if they did, they know I would just give them a look and say "No **cking way" and 3. I only really have a few good friends. Plus, I spend all of my free time around my house watching anime and playing video games...not at crazy parties or in dark alleys.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.