Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever mistook the gender of someone based on their avatar?

New
Have you ever mistook the gender of someone based on their avatar?
OH HECK YES.
45.7%
Usually
17.1%
Not often at all...
19.0%
I never really cared...
18.1%
105 votes
Aug 23, 2007 7:57 PM

Jul 2007
... BECAUSE THAT HAPPENS TO ME A LOT.

like for instance ~~~

When a user has a girl, or a bishoujo on their avatar... don't you start to think the person is a girl @_@?

BUT-BUT then you click on their profile and find out it's a GUY
your reaction would be "LOL WUT"
seeing that all this time you thought that user was a girl xD

same with girls who have sexy guys on their avatars o_o
oh man don't get me started on girls who have sexy bishounens on their avatars o_o

it reminds me of ...

for me, i remember most people based on their avatars XD
But when they go off and change it i feel like i'm talking to a new person o_o

oh lawd, does that ever happen? XD
the only time i can tell the difference is when they use a gender based username, like Lily or Jacob
melancholyAug 23, 2007 8:07 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 23, 2007 8:11 PM

May 2007
All the time! xD I actually thought one of my very good online friends was a girl, because he uses girl avatars and MSN screenames all of the time. [like Tamao.] I only recently found out that he was a he. xD People think I'm a guy alot of the time too...I dunno why though... ._.

❝goodbyes are always hard, no matter how you might try to make them easier.❞

Aug 23, 2007 8:16 PM

May 2007
Haha, definitely. I guess you just take it for granted sometimes that females will choose a female for an avatar and males will choose males. But definitely that is not the case.
Aug 23, 2007 8:23 PM

Jan 2007
deja vu? this conversation sounds familiar.

Anyways....it happens sometimes for me.
Aug 23, 2007 8:26 PM

Jun 2007
Occasionally, yes. It happens.
Aug 23, 2007 8:56 PM

Mar 2005
doesn't really happen to me, even though i keep girls in my avvy and sig all the time.

and yea...deja vu but the old topic is soooooo old.....

EDIT: found it! ^^ http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=433
omg lol good times. old old members in that thread

keep posting in this thread though
kei-cloneAug 23, 2007 9:10 PM
Aug 23, 2007 9:14 PM

Nov 2006
It's never happened to me before, I always seem to not make a judgement before I find out, or I guess correctly. Especially on MAL I've learned not to guess cause of all these loli avatars ;P
(i'm kidding, i'm kidding....)
Aug 23, 2007 9:21 PM

Oct 2006
Not often....but i did think melancholy was a guy for a good minute :D

woot 2000th post :P
Aug 23, 2007 9:23 PM
Sep 2006
LMAO, I forgot from that old thread, I use to think eazy was a girl (and eazy had to post literally 50 second before me). xD I've done it before, I purposely make sure my avatar is a girl now. I've never been mistaken myself, but I don't want that impression to happen. Gaaah, I need a girlie-r person than Mikuru~! *Huggles Mikuru* <3

Remember guys, this shows us how manly your avatar makes you:
Ceray said:
MANLINESS POINTS:
RL: 57
Beest-person: 62
Eazy-person: 64
Faust: 96
Aug 23, 2007 9:25 PM

Mar 2005
in case the newer members don't know, "beest-person" refers to kei :3
Aug 23, 2007 9:33 PM

Jan 2007
Hahaha, this is a funny yet interesting topic. Of course I've had my share of mistakes as well. But I soon realized that this is the internet and not everyone is who they claim to be. You never know who the person on the other side of the computer is so even when making advances on the opposite sex online is quite a challenge. And when I mean by "challenge" I mean that there is the possiblility of mistaking the person's true identity all the time. I'm not the kind of guy that goes around hitting on the hottest girl, the same goes for me online. I just like to have conversations with everyone that wants to talk about something good. But I do make mistakes. LOL

Aug 23, 2007 9:38 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I use female avatars all the time but I get mistaken for a guy often. I've been pretty good with guessing myself. But it is true when there is a girl avatar you tend to think it's a girl and vice versa sometimes even if you know it's not true.
Aug 23, 2007 9:53 PM

Jan 2007
XD I remember the manliness points! That was an awesome thread.

I thought hounddog was a guy for a while. D: I'm sorryyy~

But other than that, I've been pretty good at getting genders right.
And as far as I know, only one person on MAL has ever thought I was a guy and I didn't bother to correct him. xD; I don't think he posts here anymore though.
But it was funny to me because it was the day after Lemon said that I was obviously a girl.
MirietteAug 23, 2007 9:57 PM

Aug 23, 2007 10:04 PM

Oct 2006
melancholy said:
it reminds me of ...

That just happened to me. It nearly made me revert into netspeak to express my surprise.

Anyway, I try not to guess based on avatars. Definitely not around here... I spent a lot of time on a forum devoted to the Hitman video game series, and it was a little easier to guess since the number of females in the core of regulars could be counted on your fingers.

I do have a friend who gets mistaken for a guy all the time though - she actually gets a kick out of it, and goes to great length to make her gender as much of a mystery as possible. Most people seem to think she's a guy, actually, since she's a geeky microbiologist and she keeps her hair short and her clothes pretty gender-neutral.
KrelianAug 23, 2007 10:17 PM
Aug 23, 2007 10:24 PM

Apr 2007
I really don't let avatars dictate to me the gender of someone. Especially after reading a comment on another set of anime forums that went something to the effect of: Guys like to use sexy women as their avies; it's like fan worship. I do occasionally get gender confused by some usernames though.
Aug 23, 2007 10:58 PM

Feb 2007
melancholy said:

I hate it when people change their avitars! Hell, when I change my avitar I feel like a new person. I have only had 3 avitars on MAL..
1. Yotsuba (+SOL)
2. Fai (+Bishie Club)
3. Current one.. Hei's crotch ftw~~

Seeeeee, most people think I am a man.. Probably due to avitar number one.. Being in the SOL Brigade does not help my female-ness. Eazy know's I am a girl... Crystal has been told I am a girl 5 times, and she still think's I am a man >_>
But I am in the Bishie club! That's got to count for something. And now I have a fricken crotch shot. *shakes fist*
No, I actually find it very amusing!

It realls depends on the picture... like Windy's avitar makes me think she is a girl. The picture to me appears like a more.. idol-ish picture.
vindemon64's picture makes me think he is a guy.
Krelian's picture is gender netural-ish.. but if I had to guess I would have gone with guy (which I know he is).
Ginger_Snap's picture make me think she is a she *checks*, hah! I am right!
FateSyka's pick makes me think girl (she is),
Brand your avi makes me think you're a girl,
OtakuFreak's avitar=guy
Kana's avi=girl
Chikane's avi=girl
Maybe I am influenced because I knew most of all those people's genders.. *shrugs*

(oh and I am not even commenting on the SOL men's avitars because they are so man-ish?)

but the best thing is, the only person I was wrong about gender was you, melancholy!!!! I've always thought you were a guy.. seriously =P
having a pictue of Izumi makes me think you're a guy becaus she's so awesome.. I'd date her =P
Aug 23, 2007 11:16 PM

Jul 2007
on the internet I'm a 15 year old girl

and with this post my post count has increased, making me 1 post cooler than before
Aug 23, 2007 11:22 PM

Jun 2007
selective_yellow said:
Seeeeee, most people think I am a man...

Actually, I guessed you were a woman from your current avatar.

Mark one in the win column.
Aug 23, 2007 11:35 PM

Aug 2007
Lol, not really. I'm more inclined to notice the usernames. ^_^
Aug 24, 2007 12:06 AM

Mar 2007
drac said:

I lol'd.

But I guess it happens that I do that mistake, it's kind of sad when you haven't checked someones profile and you've been conviced that it's a male/female for a month.
Aug 24, 2007 12:31 AM

Nov 2004
Hahaha. I still remember using a female Pita Ten avatar on Animesuki and the people thought I was a guy using the theory that females = male avatars and males = female avatars. That's opposite from what is said here (females use female avatars and vice versa).

I remember thinking Ako was a girl. And EAZY. OMFG I thought Eazy was a girl. Cause he had that avatar of the pink haired person for the longest time! And I still think SY is a guy... just now I was like... HE'S IN THE BISHIE CLUB?!... no wait, SY is a girl~ O: O:

I think only one member thought I was a guy. Was it.. sorairo..?
Aug 24, 2007 12:39 AM

Feb 2007
Kinda off the main topic, but my gender has often been mistaken based on my username...
Aug 24, 2007 2:09 AM

Aug 2007
Asrialys, I'll take a quick guess. Er, female? I haven't looked at your profile yet. ^_^ I'm not so good at guessing genders online, but that's probably because I really don't care about the gender of the person I'm talking to. ^^

Btw, wonderful sig -- alethiometer ftw! Can't wait to see the Golden Compass movie!~

>> I peeked (at your profile). Darn it, I should have gone with my initial guess (based on your avatar). Guess I'm really bad at gender-guessing.
gothicpsycheAug 24, 2007 2:18 AM
Aug 24, 2007 3:06 AM

Jul 2007
Yes and in the thread my question marks has been filled in along with a few corrections. Maybe I should hide out for a bit and reasset my gender identification powers.

By the way, I'll be surprised if someone mistaken me for a girl. The meaning of dude should be well known...
And now I have a urge to rename myself AznBrah.
Brah = Hippie word for brother?
Aug 24, 2007 4:33 AM

Oct 2006
Krelian said:
melancholy said:
it reminds me of ...

That just happened to me. It nearly made me revert into netspeak to express my surprise.
ahahaha xD

It has happened to me. And so I learned not to judge the genre by the avatars.
Aug 24, 2007 4:47 AM

Aug 2006
kei-clone said:

OMG... I read through that entire thing again and laughed my ass off...

...and it makes me miss RL... T_T ... where is our favorite little citrus boy hiding??? **off to poke him in his profile**
Aug 24, 2007 4:53 AM

Dec 2006
I figured that looking at avatars really isn't a wise thing to do (to see the gender) long ago so I just don't care :-)
Aug 24, 2007 5:03 AM

Nov 2004
Chelle said:
kei-clone said:

OMG... I read through that entire thing again and laughed my ass off...

...and it makes me miss RL... T_T ... where is our favorite little citrus boy hiding??? **off to poke him in his profile**

Yeah, I miss lemon! He doesn't even come on everyday anymore. Although technically I could just poke him on msn. I should do that when I finally go on again.

We're like almost losing RL. Don't want him to be like a Koreth or calis. T.T

I almost want to do a kei thing and go all "good times good times". But those times were like in February. That was only a few months ago. I only say good times when I look at past stuff with other friends from like 3 or 4 years back. >.>
Aug 24, 2007 5:20 AM

Oct 2006
That was quite amusing. I really should've started bumming around the forums when I joined instead of waiting so many months to end up here.

[edit] And Fate, I totally thought you were a guy until just now, though I can't put a finger on why. I posted right after you were talking about being mistaken for a guy once too, and it didn't even register until just now. =P
KrelianAug 24, 2007 5:24 AM
Aug 24, 2007 5:30 AM

Jul 2007
The thought often crosses my mind about what people's genders are based on their avatars, and there's been quite a few times I've been wrong. I still get confused from time to time O.o; To be safe though, I try to always check genders before referencing someone's gender. But I don't do that too often because I rarely talk about other people. I'm too full of myself.

Other than that, I don't think gender is too important in online conversation, really.
Aug 24, 2007 6:16 AM

Apr 2007
People always used to mistake me as a girl. When I ran around with a Rukia Avy and Sig. It was weird when I used to hang out on a Naruto board, I had my MSN public, and random guys would msg me and start hitting on me. Was pretty weird lol.
Aug 24, 2007 6:21 AM

Jul 2007
I'm afraid I still thought you were a girl at first xD
Aug 24, 2007 6:29 AM

Apr 2007
Suprisingly enough, I dont find that offensive anymore :P ^_~ It happens alot.
Aug 24, 2007 7:52 AM

Nov 2006
selective_yellow said:
melancholy said:

I hate it when people change their avitars! Hell, when I change my avitar I feel like a new person.
hahaha i'm the worst example of that, i change like....weekly sometimes. :P
although that in itself describes "windy" so....:)~

drac said:
ME TOO!
o wai-
Aug 24, 2007 8:36 AM
Aug 24, 2007 8:52 AM

Aug 2006
Zamitsu said:
I just assume everybody is a man.

**puts on her tool belt... belches loudly... scratches her backside... and yells to Aokaado "Get me a beer, bitch!!!"**

**snicker** (<3<3 you Aokaado =3)
Aug 24, 2007 10:54 AM

Jan 2007
Krelian said:
And Fate, I totally thought you were a guy until just now, though I can't put a finger on why. I posted right after you were talking about being mistaken for a guy once too, and it didn't even register until just now. =P

xD So that makes two. Awesome.
And that also means Lemon was wrong. Mwahaha~

Chelle said:
**puts on her tool belt... belches loudly... scratches her backside... and yells to Aokaado "Get me a beer, bitch!!!"**

XDD Hogod.
I laughed so hard just now.

Aug 24, 2007 1:35 PM

Jun 2007
Duuuh,i got a real close friend. I thought *nameless* was a boy,but i realized she was a girl - more importantly - she goes in the same school as me,and SAME CLASS! And i didn't notice it... >___>
to the people who look up the stars and wish
to the stars who listen and the dreams that are answered
Aug 24, 2007 1:35 PM

Dec 2006
*totally mistook a few people*
Aug 24, 2007 1:38 PM

Jul 2007
I had a inherent fear about people I know online seeing me in real life and neither of us ever finding out. So I wore a hat with my username on it for the longest time. xD
asandariAug 24, 2007 1:43 PM
Aug 24, 2007 1:55 PM

Mar 2007
Chelle said:
Zamitsu said:
I just assume everybody is a man.

**snicker** (<3<3 you Aokaado =3)

XDDD
that was great! *wipes tears off her eyes*
Aug 24, 2007 2:24 PM

Aug 2007
So that would make me a custom built mini arm slave only versed in fumoffu speech.

But when i first came on yes i did think that people with female avatars were female but since staying on here for a week or so now it's just loads of people are mad for lolis if a male has a female pic in his avatar.

So now i'm assuming everyone is male unless i can be bothered to click their profile.

Aug 24, 2007 2:59 PM

Jul 2006
Haha, I usually guess wrong. I'm really used to anime forums being mostly male, but for some reason this site has a LOT more girls on it o.0 So I usually just don't think about it =P
And I don't think I've ever been mistaken for a guy, lol ;-P
Aug 24, 2007 3:08 PM

Jun 2007
omg XD that happens all the time! but it does help if the username can point out a gender or something XD but yes, most of the time i confuse they're gender XD

Aug 24, 2007 4:57 PM

Mar 2007
Along w/avatars, I find some usernames kinda misleading, too...

...except for manateegirl, that's pretty obvious, lol

And me.....if you didn't already know my gender, look @ my avatar/username (and not my profile) and tell me if I'm a guy or a girl :D
You've come a long way, baby.
Aug 24, 2007 5:12 PM

Oct 2006
Definitely a girl ;)
Aug 24, 2007 5:17 PM

May 2007
On the interet I am a 40 year old perverted man who is looking for teenage girls like you to hit on.

Proof: lolis ftw~
Aug 24, 2007 5:34 PM

May 2007
I get mistaken for a guy here a lot b/c all my anime interests are male so I like male avatars(and my SN doesn't give away a thing). There are so many moe/lolita lovers here that I get overwhelmed. But like manateegirl said, most forums (at least that I've been in) seem to be mostly male so despite the amount of girly avatars, I probably still assume male. Plus I have been paying attention to what others are watching and I have never seen so many guys who really watch frou-frou girly shows.

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. ~Socrates
Aug 24, 2007 5:37 PM

Oct 2006
Hah! It's contagious, methinks. I didn't watch any frou-frou girly shows until I'd spent a fair bit of time here on the forums. Now I quite like them - the good ones, at least.
Aug 24, 2007 6:22 PM

Jul 2007
Yeah I'm always confused, there have been some girls I've mistaken as guys because they say "things" that only a guy would say. So now I just think of everyone as "both" lol until further information reveals otherwise.

Some people would put up real self-photos but they sometimes seem to attract a lot of fangirls/fanboys lol no offense
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.