Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

Feb 24, 2013 3:40 AM

I miss it too, but I'm not sure where to fit it... I have some ideas, so maybe it'll reappear in the future.

Feb 25, 2013 12:49 AM
program noizes

Akosss said:
The only thing I miss is the episode count chart. Is there any chance to make one again?

I miss it too, but I am glad to see that some of the stats that had been displayed by that are available in the Ratings section. The ratings vs chapter/episode count, to be precise. By clicking on the points for each category you can see how many titles you have that fit it. It appears to cover more than just completed titles this time, but I think that makes it more interesting.

Feb 25, 2013 2:29 PM
First let me just say great update i really like alot of the new features but Id like to request that you go back to having the Episode Count Chart as its own graph instead of being combined with Ratings vs. episode count.
As someone who likes to balance how many shows of each length he watches it was much easier with the pie chart where you didn't have to click on each one individually to get the answers and could just see the percentages of all of them at the same time, a bar graph would be just as good as a pie chart though. Hope you take this into consideration thanks.
Modified by AnimePlus1, Feb 25, 2013 2:34 PM

Feb 25, 2013 6:24 PM

The PTW filtered recommendations were just what I was looking for.
I'm missing the pie charts from MG2 though.
Can they possibly be scavenged from the MG2 layout?
Modified by Channeru, Feb 26, 2013 8:56 AM

Feb 27, 2013 11:36 AM

in monthly activity is it possible to get the option to choose between showing the number of series you've completed and started each month?

Feb 27, 2013 11:46 AM

We decided to go with "finish date". If this date is not specified, we use "start date", but only if you've completed watching the given title. There is no way to switch between these two on user's end.

Feb 27, 2013 7:28 PM

Since "Monthly activity" doen't really represent activity (e.g. watching 1-episode titles counts same as watching TV series, watching 10 shows for 3 months is the same as watching them in one week), I have suggestion: time spent in a week graph.
For each title we have start/finish date and it's length (eps * ep. length). To make full use of this information:
1) count how many days were spent
2) divide show length by it (that would be avg. time spent each day)
3) count how many days each week were spent (e.g. if started watching on friday it would be 3 days for that week, 7 for all next weeks till the last week and so on) on each show and multiply it by "time spent each day" for that show.
4) sum up all shows stats for each week
Yes, it would work nicely not in all cases, but I think it's the best way to use all the provided information.
Modified by vivan, Aug 6, 2013 2:43 PM

Feb 27, 2013 8:29 PM
program noizes

that scenario really only works if you have both start and finish date inputted. not everyone bothers with start/end dates, and start/end dates really only get inputted automatically in certain ways of updating. For instance, if you mark something as Completed from the series' page, no end date gets inputted. You have to go and add that manually. My data only winds up with end dates when I advance the episode/chapter number to the final one while I'm on the Currently Watching/Reading list for my list and select Move to Completed.

I'd say the current method is fine as is, and less complicated.

Feb 28, 2013 10:05 AM

I really miss the episode count pie chart too. That was always my favorite part of the graph site. It was simplistic yet very telling. It doesn't have to be on the front page or anything. But please do add it back when you get a chance.

Feb 28, 2013 4:35 PM
This isn't really a request, rather a little thing that i noticed.
With the new version of MALgraph, it's been added the mean score and the difference between that and the general mean score, which is (by now) between 7.31 and 7.32
It's an addition that I liked, but I noticed a "problem": that doesn't really help to see if someone has a particular score because he is very strict or just because he watch shitty series. For example, a friend of mine has a mean score of 3.82, but just because he loves to watch series like Mars of Destruction and to give them 1 as vote.
I understand very little of computer, so I don't know if it is a plausible idea or not, but in my opinion the mean score shoudn't be compared with the general mean score, but only with the mean score of the series that particular user watched
To make an example again, let's say that I have watched only 3 anime:
1) Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. My score: 10. Mean score: 8.42
2) Steins;Gate. My score: 8. Mean score: 9.17
3) Lucky Star. My score 7. Mean score: 8.14

With the actual method, you have your mean score = 8.33 and "your ratings are 1.01 points higher than global average"
In the way I said, it would say that your ratings are 0.24 points lower, which is truer.

I repeat, I don't undertand anything of computer and stuff like that, so if it should be too much difficult, it's fine.

Sorry for every mispelling or grammar error. English isn't my first language (and I had many difficulties to make my point)

Feb 28, 2013 8:40 PM

I do like the comparison features and new stuff of MG3, but I would like to see some of the pie charts from MG2 back. The episode count one was nice.

Also, like above, I'd like to see something that compares your average to the average of specifically of what you've watched, it'd have more meaning to know whether you're actually more stricter on ratings or not than average. Perhaps listing the mean score on the ratings page and providing similar personal versus specific mean stats breakdown over anime types too?

For global stats, I would like to see something that plots popularity against ranking, it'd be kinda cool to see the correlation.

Mar 1, 2013 6:50 AM
Bertock's idea is nice.

I'm Italian, so forgive me for grammar errors.

Mar 1, 2013 7:19 AM

It's nice when you're working with three titles, just as you wrote. However, when you take 100 titles into the calculation, this is getting closer to the "normal" mean score. The more titles you have, the closer the results are.

Also, that would take a lot more time to compute and need more resources: another database just for scores, writing and reading it multiple times per second - that doesn't feel good, especially considering what has been happening to globals up until recently.

It's not worth it when results will end up almost the same. I'm writing a randomly generated example database in Matlab to make sure they are similar.
Modified by fri, Mar 1, 2013 8:02 AM

Mar 1, 2013 7:54 AM

Here's the Matlab code (may be hard to read, MAL clears its formatting):

It returns the difference between the "normal" method and the one you suggested.

For small database (10 titles, 5 users), the difference is really big:
ans = 0.3614 -0.0312 -1.1002 1.0466 0.8105

But, for the actual database (7773 anime, and 1798 users, even though this number doesn't reflect the actual user count, since we have over 5000 files), the difference is almost none: (warning - long text)

Mar 1, 2013 4:41 PM
Sincerely, I don't understand anything of the part under spoiler, but I undertood the general meaning, and I have to admit that you are right :p
Sorry :p

Mar 1, 2013 6:33 PM
Do you think that the pie chart from MG2 can come back? I'm miss it. They were good looking and simple to read.

Mar 3, 2013 5:33 AM
I'd like to see achivements based on the total amount of days spent watching/reading stuff rather than the number of actual series. It just seems kinda an inexact way to count since some series are so much shorter than others. Especialy considering one shots and OVA's.

Mar 3, 2013 5:50 AM

Sadly, that would be inaccurate, when you consider that we can't get rewatch info. Some people would have complained that they didn't get a badge (achievements are serious business), when their time counter on MAL clearly says that they should, but MALgraph doesn't. You can join the group of developers and ask MAL admins for this feature (get rewatch data) in API - if only anyone would listen...

Mar 4, 2013 8:26 AM

Lanf said:
For global stats, I would like to see something that plots popularity against ranking, it'd be kinda cool to see the correlation.

This. I'm curious about the anime with the biggest differences between rating and popularity.

It would be nice if in the favourites tab you could choose to filter out studios, genres and years under a given number of titles and/or time.

I would also like it if you could choose to group series in franchises in the 'favourites' and 'list' tabs.

Also, the suggestions tab shouldn't show "missing titles" which are "on hold" on the list.

Modified by romagia, Mar 4, 2013 9:02 AM

Mar 5, 2013 3:55 PM

Perhaps this has been suggested so pardon if it's a repeat, I didn't see anything on github specifically about it...

But I would fancy a toggle on 'hentai' in the recommendations area. As in "please don't show me hentai unless I specify so" just like with the PTW currently in place.

Mar 8, 2013 10:15 PM

Would it be possible to exclude some companies from the list of "Favourite studio"?
For example, Hobunsha is a publisher but it is still appearing in this list.

Mar 9, 2013 2:08 AM

Mini_Lancer said:
Would it be possible to exclude some companies from the list of "Favourite studio"?
Yeah, I think I'll make a whitelist of real studios, so publishers will not be shown. We already have a blacklist with several publishers, but whitelist might be a better idea.

Mar 9, 2013 4:48 AM

How about an achievement for seeing a certain number of both yuri and yaoi?

Mar 10, 2013 4:36 AM

romagia said:
How about an achievement for seeing a certain number of both yuri and yaoi?

Then you run into the problem of there being just 34 yaoi titles. And 32 yuri titles. Crop out hentai:
14/15 yuri titles. In either instance...that's a low amount of titles. Achievements are supposed to be hard to get which is why the max cap for most of the anime achievements is 100. This one can barely scrape together 66 max at it's best.

Also, the terms for yaoi and yuri are used pretty lax on MAL. Kashimashi is the first example I see. Tagged as yuri even though it's not. Because MAL states yuri is "Anime whose central theme is a sexual relationship between two girls or women." No sexual relationship in Kashimashi. Or Tenshi no Drop which has yet to be released. It has yuri as a tag but there's no sexual relationship in the manga it's adapting.

Plus, it'd be pretty weird to have the achievement in the first place.
"A+ you reached MAX LEVELS in dudes putting their bratwurst in other dudes"
or
"A+ you reached MAX LEVELS in chicks finding the jelly bean in the roast beef"

Basically along the same lines of why there's no Ecchi or Hentai achievement currently.

Mar 10, 2013 5:26 AM

A+ post, thank you lanblade. I don't think we'll ever add achievements for naughty series.

Mar 10, 2013 5:54 AM

fri said:
Mini_Lancer said:
Yeah, I think I'll make a whitelist of real studios, so publishers will not be shown. We already have a blacklist with several publishers, but whitelist might be a better idea.

I'm not sure whitelistiing is the way to go. Some obscure/old studios might never make it onto the white list, whereas with blacklisting, people can report the "fake" studios when they see them appearing in their favourite studios list, so it's like the difference between correcting the errors you see and not knowing there's an error in the first place.

Mar 12, 2013 7:34 AM

kajia said:
fri said:
Mini_Lancer said:

I'm not sure whitelistiing is the way to go. Some obscure/old studios might never make it onto the white list, whereas with blacklisting, people can report the "fake" studios when they see them appearing in their favourite studios list, so it's like the difference between correcting the errors you see and not knowing there's an error in the first place.

Seconded

Mar 14, 2013 8:40 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to make an Achievement for watching enough (older anime) like anything that started airing before 1990. I feel that allot of really good anime tend to be forgotten about simply because their too old.

A good example would be the fact that if you add together the views of the first three Gundam series (all airing between 1979 & 1987) you get around 25,000 views yet Gundam Seed which aired in 2002-2003 has over 40,000 views.
This happens with other series too some people have never even heard of Lupin the Third or Fist of the North Star! I think this would be a good way to help people realize there are some older series that are worth watching.

Mar 15, 2013 11:08 AM
program noizes

AnimePlus1 said:
I was wondering if it would be possible to make an Achievement for watching enough (older anime) like anything that started airing before 1990. I feel that allot of really good anime tend to be forgotten about simply because their too old.

I would love an achievement for this. Probably with higher threshold requirements in order to get (like a minimum of 50-80 for the first level), but it'd still be indicative.

Mar 17, 2013 7:58 AM
ZOLOCAUST

Me too, an oldschool anime achievement would be great.
I would like an achievement for Sick/Guro/Gore/Horror manga, and horror/thriller anime. Stuff like Ito Junji, Kago Shintaro, Maruo Suehiro, Hideshi Hino and other mangakas from the genre NEED some achievement!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 19, 2013 11:22 AM

How come this Salaryman Kintarou is not on the gar achievement. This is more manly than most of the titles on the gar list.
Wanna join these clubs and have a nice talk: We Hate Censorship and Luna & Survive Fan Club

Mar 21, 2013 11:00 AM

Can we expect more stuff on the Globals chart? Like seeing global ratings for TV/Special/ONA/OVA, or global ratings vs. episode count, or most loved studios/genres/years/decades?

Mar 21, 2013 11:04 AM

romagia said:
Can we expect more stuff on the Globals chart? Like seeing global ratings for TV/Special/ONA/OVA, or global ratings vs. episode count, or most loved studios/genres/years/decades?
Nope, sorry. That might be possible if it weren't for my host, which disabled a function crucial to properly saving/reading data from multiple users at the same time. That's why we were struggling with keeping globals from resetting every once in a while. Also, globals are optimized for dealing with scores only. I'll ask rr-, but I'm pretty sure globals will stay as they are.

Mar 22, 2013 1:08 PM
Maybe it's just me but i hate the way achievements count the number of series you've read/watched since there's such a big difference between lengths. Especialy considering one shots and ovas and stuff. Wouldn't it make alot more sense to count total number of episodes or volumes? Or maybe even time spent?

Mar 26, 2013 12:03 PM

Why are the categories 2-6, 7-13, 14-26?
In my opinion it should be 2-9, 10-19, 20-29, 30-52 because:
>there aren't many series with 7-9 episodes; that bracket is filled with specials, OVAs and other stuff, and they shouldn't be together with normal 1 cour TV shows
>14/15 episode shows are bundled together with 26 episode ones, when they're closer to 1 cour shows; same with 27 eps (gurren lagann)
So it would be:
2-9 multi-episode OVAs/specials
10-19 1 cour shows
20-29 2 cour shows

That way, there would be less short series being counted for the third bracket, and the slightly longer 1-cour or 2-cour shows next to the other 1-cour or 2-cour.

Mar 26, 2013 1:11 PM
program noizes

romagia said:
Why are the categories 2-6, 7-13, 14-26?
In my opinion it should be 2-9, 10-19, 20-29, 30-52 because:
>there aren't many series with 7-9 episodes; that bracket is filled with specials, OVAs and other stuff, and they shouldn't be together with normal 1 cour TV shows
>14/15 episode shows are bundled together with 26 episode ones, when they're closer to 1 cour shows; same with 27 eps (gurren lagann)
So it would be:
2-9 multi-episode OVAs/specials
10-19 1 cour shows
20-29 2 cour shows

That way, there would be less short series being counted for the third bracket, and the slightly longer 1-cour or 2-cour shows next to the other 1-cour or 2-cour.

I would assume because there aren't that many instances of single-cour series that go beyond 13 episodes, two-cour series that go beyond 26 episodes, and so on. Outside of a few like Suzumiya Haruhi and Bakemonogatari and TTGL, these generally don't happen in the first place due to the TV schedules. It's really only once it passes 30 episodes that irregular numbers of episodes become a lot more common. Anything shorter than that tends to get squished into normal 10-13 and 21-26 episode lengths with very few exceptions. The change you suggest would have a very minor impact on the stats.

As for the 2-6 and 7-13 ranges, I'd wager to say that the grand majority of OVA series out there are in the 1-6 episode range. Six is an especially common number of episodes, whereas you don't see 7, 8 or 9 all that often. 7-13 works well as the next category because it encompasses the less common atypical shorter length series up through the extremely common 13 episode length while the 7 eps starting point acts as a sort of halfway mark between 1 and 13. If you take a look at the categories again, there is a noticeable pattern. 1, 2-6, 7-13, 14-26, 27-52, 53-100, 100+. Most likely, the only reason that this isn't 1, 2-5, 6-10, 11-25, 26-50, 51-100, 100+ is because it was deliberately adjusted to better fit with typical cour length parameters.

This is entirely my opinion and does not reflect on anyone else, but it seems like there isn't enough reason to change the length categories just because of a small number of exceptions. The length categories were chosen for solid reasons. We're best off sticking to the length categories we already have since otherwise people are going to get too nitpicky.

(Sorry for the edit.)
Modified by Numi, Mar 26, 2013 9:07 PM

Apr 1, 2013 2:59 PM
ZOLOCAUST

anyone's lookin for sport anime achievements?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 2, 2013 12:30 AM
program noizes

D-HATROSS said:
anyone's lookin for sport anime achievements?

There's a sports manga achievement, but it's not yet known whether there will be one for sports anime as well.

Apr 2, 2013 9:06 AM

Numi said:
This is entirely my opinion and does not reflect on anyone else, but it seems like there isn't enough reason to change the length categories just because of a small number of exceptions. The length categories were chosen for solid reasons. We're best off sticking to the length categories we already have since otherwise people are going to get too nitpicky.

Thank you. It made a lot of sense, but still my idea would fix that small number of exceptions. Especially in the 7-9 range.

Apr 3, 2013 4:49 AM
I am a fan of the MAL achievements already but, I was wondering if their will be any more genre based achievements their are a ton of genre's out their some people might not have noticed. Here's a list of MAL genres i found a while back.

Action, Adventure, Cars, Comedy, Dementia, Demons, Drama, Ecchi, Fantasy, Game, Harem, Hentai, Historical, Horror, Josei, Kids, Magic, Martial Arts, Mecha, Military, Music, Mystery, Parody, Police, Psychological, Romance, Samurai, Sci-Fi, School, Seinen, Shoujo, Shoujo Ai, Shounen, Shounen Ai, Slice of Life , Space, Sports, Supernatural, Super Power, Thriller, Vampire, Yaoi, Yuri

Ok, obviously many of these genres will conflict with the achievements already made but. If their was a Mystery, Psychological, Space, and Sports achievements for anime it would be really great!

Apr 7, 2013 1:28 AM

I would like to ask whether the idea to implement an 'in-progress' achievement has come up before.
I'm not a huge anime watcher and so far have no genre achievements but i can easily look up which titles can earn me said achievements and how far away I am. (Through use of this)
This information would be easier to find if it were put in the form of some kind of 'in-progress' achievement.

When level 1 is achieved on any genre it becomes known how far from the next rank you are, but why not tell us how far away we are from reaching level 1?

Apr 7, 2013 11:14 AM
I want to see list of achivments in MAL. Why because you can see if this works or not. I have zero achivements and i dont why.

Apr 7, 2013 1:18 PM

waszak said:
I want to see list of achivments in MAL. Why because you can see if this works or not. I have zero achivements and i dont why.
Images: https://github.com/rr-/malgraph/wiki/Achievements-list
List: https://github.com/rr-/malgraph/blob/master/data/achievements.json

Apr 10, 2013 1:39 AM

Hi MALgraph team,

More achievements please, it's so cool. :)

Apr 10, 2013 9:10 AM

Could we get the option of seeing the lower levels of achievements that we've attained?

I love the fun text and great pictures; when I see a new achievement, I'm happiest about unlocking and reading the gag. I'd love to be able to enjoy previous unlocks that get covered up by my newer stuff. Sometimes, I don't even see them: an achievement for total anime viewed was recently added, I got automatically promoted to near-max level, and couldn't enjoy the flavor text of the lower levels (I did get to see one of them by looking at my brother's profile though).

Apr 10, 2013 9:35 AM

I'm glad to hear you like them. :) There's no easy way to include that info on one's list (unnecessary clutter), so I'll edit the list on our wiki to include all descriptions. Would that be a good compromise?

Updated list: https://github.com/rr-/malgraph/wiki/Achievements-list
Modified by fri, Apr 10, 2013 11:01 AM

Apr 10, 2013 10:45 AM

Wouldn't a collapsible list that is closed by default work without taking up space? One of the things I love about MALgraph is that it's compact but still manages to contain tons of info - I can press an achievement and it'll show me all shows that have contributed in a huge list, but this list is normally hidden and causes no clutter. Isn't there the possibility for a similar solution? The toggle could be placed in the level text (the grey one to the right of the achievement title, just left of the achievement icon). This doesn't address ease of implementation, and you are a much better designer than me, but at least it doesn't seem to cause clutter.

A wiki edit would work, but the wiki is much more out of the way - I'll probably not come back every few weeks and reread the jokes that are on the wiki, as I do with those that are on my achievement list. It also contains spoilers - I want to only see achievements I've gotten, although obviously, YMMV.

Apr 10, 2013 1:28 PM

I'd like a feature where I'd be able to show my achievements on my MAL profile.
Similar to the graph option, where I'd be able to choose to show achievements of just anime, just manga or both.

Apr 13, 2013 7:43 AM

All I would request now is to double the counter of the leveled achievements in the anime section. Like when where after a 100 watched you received the level 4 achi, now you can get it after watching 200 of that kind.

Apr 15, 2013 4:42 PM

thanks for the great achievments, and it'll be good if you can add some more like horror, romance (maybe no), fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural and of course the most chalenging genre (for me) PSYCHOLOGICAL

Ricz said:
All I would request now is to double the counter of the leveled achievements in the anime section. Like when where after a 100 watched you received the level 4 achi, now you can get it after watching 200 of that kind.

no please, just no...
I'm working on Prima Undine and Pierce the H E A V E N S ! right now, it's already takes half of my time, and planning to get GAR Lv. 1 and Mahou Shoujo Lv. 1 soon, which will become pretty much impossible to gain within this year if they double the counter.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »