Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2012 7:27 PM

Jan 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

I really feel bad for Kamui, eventhough he was a Jerk at the start, he looses his love Kotori and he looses Fuuma which he looked up to :(

sad episode
SemeticBoySep 16, 2012 7:16 AM
Dec 28, 2014 3:57 PM

Oct 2014
Now i am really enraged this doesn't even make sense, i would've accepted Fuuma changing and choosing to be a Dragon of Earth if he had enough reason, his personality completely reversed just like that without any reason, and he accepted his destiny without questions or rebellion, i mean, seriously, the man killed his sister without batting an eye. I already had issues with the world building and characterization but this is too much. It's such a shame, this series had a big potential.
" Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future. "
Cloud Atlas
Jun 6, 2015 3:19 PM

Feb 2010
Lilima said:
Now i am really enraged this doesn't even make sense, i would've accepted Fuuma changing and choosing to be a Dragon of Earth if he had enough reason, his personality completely reversed just like that without any reason, and he accepted his destiny without questions or rebellion, i mean, seriously, the man killed his sister without batting an eye. I already had issues with the world building and characterization but this is too much. It's such a shame, this series had a big potential.

I believe that he isn't actually Fuuma in a sense anymore. I don't think anything of what he thought or cared about had any implication on how he would change depending on what path Kamui took. Essentially, its a different personality or Kamui's dark side as I like to think of it lol.
Nov 16, 2015 6:39 PM

Jun 2014
So much went wrong with this episode... but I guess there werent many other better ways to make the turning point of the series to get it moving along.

Honestly thought Kamui wouldve chosen Dragons of Earth, not the other way around.
Jul 8, 2016 9:48 PM

Apr 2012
This makes little more sense than the film version. I see why Kamui chose a side but evil Fuma's reason is basically just "he automatically becomes the opposite". I watched this to learn more about their trains of thought and inner struggles but there aren't any :P

Not sure why the Dragons of Heaven are panicking about the decision Kamui's about to make anyway, since he was choosing their side.

And so Kotori, after a fever dream of the future suddenly realises she's a dreamseer, without knowing anything about the magic world(?); chooses to go into a coma for *reasons*, which seem to be that she knew she'd meet another dreamseer who could possess her dead body and grab the sword that stabbed her. Which wouldn't have happened if she hadn't gone into a coma in the first place. Okay...
Sep 12, 2018 5:40 PM

May 2018
Fuuma, you BASTARD!! That was your sister that you stabbed.
Poor Kamui.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Sep 22, 2020 8:29 PM

Jun 2010
I also am dissatisfied with the mechanical way Fuma switches personalities to become a villain; there's not really much tragedy in it if he just becomes a two-dimensional villain who's willing to murder his own sister just to make Kamui sad. The drama of getting Fuma to actually choose "revolution" and war with Kamui would have been much more interesting than what we actually got.

Kakyo is apparently a Dragon of Earth but if those types want to destroy humanity it doesn't make much sense for him to be one; his only motivations have been love and kindness towards people; Hokuto in the episode 0 OVA and Kotori here; why would he accept the idea of killing all people?

Satsuki doesn't care about humanity but without civilization there won't be any computers for her to talk to either. Is she just an ignorant pawn of Kanoe?
Oct 3, 2020 10:48 AM

Jul 2015
Well, that escalated quickly...
As a manga reader, I can't believe they changed the director of CLAMP Gakuen, but well...
It was really interesting to understand Kamui's options and how he unconsciously made a decision.
Sad episode indeed, and things will get sadder.
Dec 22, 2020 1:04 PM

Dec 2015
Like Dorayaki wrote above.

The choice was rather well staged, and the resulting awakening and execution were as good looking as they could be for a TV series.

4/5

I'm amazed by what I read in the above reactions. It was already shown in the series that the other Kamui has little to do with Fûma and it has been stated multiple time that the choice was (regular) Kamui's. Of course, the other Kamui is only a resultant and follows along.
Jun 12, 2021 5:27 AM

Mar 2007
While I'm sure that Kotori got crucified only because CLAMP thought it would be a cool and atmospheric way for her to die, I'm going to pretend there's symbolism to it, and Kotori died for the sins of humanity, thus absolving them of all environmental destruction, and making the Dragons of Earth even wrong-er in their plans.
Jun 6, 2022 9:41 AM

Jan 2020
Dat CLAMP insert.

Well, things certainly escalated quickly this episode. Kamui made his choice and Fuma rose to his opposite and killed Kotori all in one stroke. Looks like things are going to get more serious from here on out.

It was weird to see Kamui, who was such an angsty brat before, suddenly being open and vulnerable. Why was he even so rude before if it was going to be retconned and he was going to open up suddenly? Weird.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jun 17, 2023 6:15 PM

Mar 2021
commonxreaction said:
Dat CLAMP insert.

Well, things certainly escalated quickly this episode. Kamui made his choice and Fuma rose to his opposite and killed Kotori all in one stroke. Looks like things are going to get more serious from here on out.

It was weird to see Kamui, who was such an angsty brat before, suddenly being open and vulnerable. Why was he even so rude before if it was going to be retconned and he was going to open up suddenly? Weird.

I don't think his personality was retconned so much. I'm going to put it down to him still grieving over his mothers death. He didn't want to get close to his old friends again because he was hurting, but just being in their presence long enough helped him see a future where he could be happy again.
Sep 26, 2023 8:05 AM

Sep 2017
sad kotori died so quickly

we get to know what dragon of heaven and earth mean

wth. so even if kamui chose not kotori's happiness, kotori would die by kamui hands

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 26, 2023 8:08 AM

Sep 2017
Reply to fanty
While I'm sure that Kotori got crucified only because CLAMP thought it would be a cool and atmospheric way for her to die, I'm going to pretend there's symbolism to it, and Kotori died for the sins of humanity, thus absolving them of all environmental destruction, and making the Dragons of Earth even wrong-er in their plans.
@fanty much as i want to believe it, dont forget fuuma crucified kotori. or FUUMA. dunno why alternate personality

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

More topics from this board

Poll: » X Episode 24 Discussion

Cello - May 2, 2009

31 by XxEMOxKONATAxX »»
Mar 13, 3:28 AM

» Help: X (TV) filler episodes?

JoNuttanon1994 - Feb 10

3 by Joker_Sama »»
Feb 14, 8:58 AM

Poll: » X Episode 23 Discussion

RyanBebop - Jan 19, 2012

9 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 7, 2023 8:11 PM

Poll: » X Episode 22 Discussion

RyanBebop - Jan 18, 2012

6 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 1, 2023 7:51 AM

Poll: » X Episode 21 Discussion

RyanBebop - Jan 17, 2012

4 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 1, 2023 7:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.