Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 4, 2012 7:04 PM

Feb 2012
Okay, so as I understand it...

Past Nagato (as I will call her) claims that due to a developing bug, on the night December 19th Future Nagato wrecks havoc to the future time-plane. Kyon explains that this "bug" is just the development of Nagato's feelings: in particular, the stress she feels from having to put up with Haruhi. We see that in Nagato's altered world, she exists not as an entity designed to observe Haruhi, but as a regular human being (showing the audience the life she wishes to have instead). However, Kyon is given the power to reverse Nagato's doing, and he does just that. While he does defend Nagato against Data Integration Thought Entity, Nagato's initial problem doesn't really get dealt with. She still wishes to have more human-like characteristics, and she wishes to relieve herself of the burden created by Haruhi.

I'm not saying that everyone's problems should be solved at the end of the day, I just wish they didn't play it off like they were.
Mar 5, 2012 7:15 AM

Feb 2012
Agreed. I wonder if she ever get human-like characteristics in the light novels... Hmmm... Need to start reading!
Mar 12, 2012 1:33 AM

May 2009
No I wasn't really dissatisfied with the way Yuki's feelings were handled. The problem that she had wasn't really having to put up with Haruhi, it was that her feelings were overwhelming her and in essence by changing the universe she killed herself and replaced herself with what she would have been if she wasn't part of the DITE. Kyon changing the world back and then telling Yuki that he will protect her (even if he can't) and that he would help her was the ideal ending in my opinion.
Mar 25, 2012 11:24 AM

Jan 2011
I agree with Dark_Puddles. I think that by declining Yuki's offer to live in 'normal' world Kyon unconsciously revealed a beautiful thought. He didn't want Yuki to change. And isn't it a wonderful thing if your friends want you to be exactly the way you are?
Mar 25, 2012 12:07 PM

Feb 2012
Roen92 said:
And isn't it a wonderful thing if your friends want you to be exactly the way you are?

Not necessarily. If my friend wants to change, but because I want them to stay the same, I stop them, aren't I now the bad guy?
Mar 25, 2012 12:22 PM

Nov 2011
EmptyMemory said:
Roen92 said:
And isn't it a wonderful thing if your friends want you to be exactly the way you are?

Not necessarily. If my friend wants to change, but because I want them to stay the same, I stop them, aren't I now the bad guy?

Not really. Most people want to change due to some kind of emotional/mental problem. Saying you accept your friends the way they are pretty much flat out says you like them for who they are and wouldn't change a thing. I've never had a friend change their whole personality just because they felt like it. Their is usually a bigger problem behind that and in this case, Kyon realizes that and tries to comfort Nagato in the end and implies he'll be there for her if she ever is in trouble. (Not quite sure if Nagato really "feels" anything though. She states that it's a bug while others think it's more of her desire to have feelings, etc. like a regular human.)

Ariez said:
Agreed. I wonder if she ever get human-like characteristics in the light novels... Hmmm... Need to start reading!

They made a spin-off of this where the main characters are Kyon and Nagato and Nagato is full on human with emotions and everything. It's called Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Aug 20, 2012 8:45 PM
Aug 2012
I wasn't really dissatisfied with it, but I can see how you could be. I felt bad for Nagato during Kyon's conversation with himself. She just wanted some peace. Bug or no bug, you can't really blame her. But the way they presented his choice was brilliant. I felt myself torn on which to pick, even though restoring time was the obvious choice.
May 25, 2013 3:32 PM

Dec 2012
Oh, i just made a post about this in the movie discussion-thread :P

Apparently I'm not the only one thinking this way :D - That means i DID understand what was going on (kinda)!

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.