Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 2, 2012 7:11 PM

Oct 2011
As a MASSIVE Black Rock Shooter Fan, I want to help others understand it as an original work, whatever form it is in. If anyone has any questions about the TV series, or BRS as a whole, please let me know here or in a message.

Let's start with the general quality of all of her "Universes". This assumes only the Original Images and Song being 10's.

#1: Original Images by Huke (10/10)
#2: Original Song by ryo (Supercell) (10/10)
#3: TV Anime by Ordet (8.5/10)
#4: Original Video Animation (OVA) by Ordet (8/10)
#5: Manga by Katokawa Shoten (6/10)
#6: PSP Game by Imageepoch (5/10)

This is the general quality of them so far - The reasons for the Manga and Game's scores follow:

The Manga makes changes that were not needed in the slightest, and has a confusing, schizophrenic plot. The game has a flat plot, and switches out staple characters for copies that were never needed.

I post this mainly for those that want to know more about BRS - so give me a shot (PM) if you have any questions!
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Mar 3, 2012 12:01 PM
Apr 2010
People are using too many acronyms! Can you post what some of them stand for and who (even theoretically) they are in the real world?
Mar 3, 2012 12:31 PM

Sep 2011
BRS = Black Rock Shooter. Kuroi Mato, the main character.
IBRS = Insane Black Rock Shooter. seen at the end of Ep.5.
DM = Dead Master. Takanashi Yomi, the emo glasses girl.
STR = Strength. Koutari Yuu, Mato's childhood friend in Basketball.
BGS = Black Gold Saw. heavily implied to be Irino Saya, the counselor.

Mar 3, 2012 1:35 PM

Jan 2009
BRSxIgnition said:

Let's start with the general quality of all of her "Universes". This assumes only the Original Images and Song being 10's.

#1: Original Images by Huke (10/10)
#2: Original Song by ryo (Supercell) (10/10)
#3: TV Anime by Ordet (8.5/10)
#4: Original Video Animation (OVA) by Ordet (8/10)
#5: Manga by Katokawa Shoten (6/10)
#6: PSP Game by Imageepoch (5/10)

You left out both the short stop motion animation (found on the BD of the OVA), Puchitto Rock Shooter, and the famous 3DPV by Anomaro-P, which was the first to give BRS a back story.
LadyOrihimeMar 3, 2012 1:40 PM
Mar 3, 2012 1:55 PM

Apr 2011
Why is this show so psycho and awkward? It could have been SO much better.
Mar 3, 2012 2:51 PM

Oct 2011
Primity said:
BRS = Black Rock Shooter. Kuroi Mato, the main character.
IBRS = Insane Black Rock Shooter. seen at the end of Ep.5.
DM = Dead Master. Takanashi Yomi, the emo glasses girl.
STR = Strength. Koutari Yuu, Mato's childhood friend in Basketball.
BGS = Black Gold Saw. heavily implied to be Irino Saya, the counselor.
Thank you for that - that is all correct. However, Saya is Black Gold Saw. We can say Yuu is definitely Strength, so we can also say Saya is Black Gold Saw, considering we have the same or even more proof of the latter.

fantomu said:
Why is this show so psycho and awkward? It could have been SO much better.
Because this form of the BRS IP focuses on mental states, psychology, friendships, and manipulation. It's the best BRS related universe so far, and if they made it more mature, it would be even better.

I'm with you for it having more potential. I'm actually hoping for a 25 or 50-episode series with more adult characters and a darker plot. Who's with me on that?

LadyOrihime said:
You left out both the short stop motion animation (found on the BD of the OVA), Puchitto Rock Shooter, and the famous 3DPV by Anomaro-P, which was the first to give BRS a back story.
The stop motion and Puchitto Rock Shooter are more like side joke things featuing the side characters, they don't have proper plots or as much popularity as any of the other forms of BRS. But I do agree, I should have included them nonetheless - consider them between the Manga and PSP Game in terms of score.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
Mar 3, 2012 5:23 PM
Feb 2011
Why does MAL list this series as started in Jan 28th when it didn't air till Feb 3rd?

Why didn't they just focus on the BRS characters and not have high school bs thrown in?

Why is this airing on the Noitamina block when its focus is otaku?
Mar 3, 2012 7:12 PM

Oct 2011
planetarial said:
Why does MAL list this series as started in Jan 28th when it didn't air till Feb 3rd?
No idea - ask MAL moderators that.

planetarial said:
Why didn't they just focus on the BRS characters and not have high school bs thrown in?
They decided to deepen what was established with the OVA, rather than do something new like the Manga and Game. Looking at the quality of those two - I'm kind of glad. Plus, would you be able to have a good anime with just those 4 girls fighting, no talking at all? I don't think so. I admit, there probably is a better way to do it. What I'm thinking is the same set up, but adult real world characters, rather than middle-schoolers.

planetarial said:
Why is this airing on the Noitamina block when its focus is otaku?
Noitamina has slowly been transitioning to more Otaku-favored anime lately, you haven't noticed?
Mar 3, 2012 10:43 PM
Feb 2012
BRSxIgnition said:

They decided to deepen what was established with the OVA, rather than do something new like the Manga and Game. Looking at the quality of those two - I'm kind of glad. Plus, would you be able to have a good anime with just those 4 girls fighting, no talking at all? I don't think so. I admit, there probably is a better way to do it. What I'm thinking is the same set up, but adult real world characters, rather than middle-schoolers.

Hey, I guess there's one thing the Game had over the OVA and anime series; Stella at least talks fairly often.
Mar 4, 2012 10:34 AM

Jan 2009
Just throwing this out there, but the first image of Black Gold Saw, she had a red flame erupt from her right eye, like BRS (except BRS' erupts from her left eye)

Here is the original art:

And here is that same art (from the BLK Huke Selected Works), but without the flame (sorry for the crappy quality; I had to take it with my camera):

BRSxIgnition said:
I'm with you for it having more potential. I'm actually hoping for a 25 or 50-episode series with more adult characters and a darker plot. Who's with me on that?

I am! But I doubt it will ever happen :/

]The stop motion and Puchitto Rock Shooter are more like side joke things featuing the side characters, they don't have proper plots or as much popularity as any of the other forms of BRS. But I do agree, I should have included them nonetheless - consider them between the Manga and PSP Game in terms of score.

Well, any official form of BRS should have been included, especially if you really want people to have an understanding of BRS (the Anomaro-P vid especially, since it's plot is what inspired the OVA) But thanks for owning up to your little mistake ;) I love the Anomaro-P (we get Dragon Slayer and Miss Maid Gunner!...even though HUKE made it offical that they aren't apart of the BRS universe :/), so I was a little sad that you didn't add it (;´д` )
BRShooter00 said:

Hey, I guess there's one thing the Game had over the OVA and anime series; Stella at least talks fairly often.

You know, I'd love to see a series, movie, or even just an OVA of the game. Seeing WRS animated would be epic! I love the plot of the game, but it sucks that Dead Master, and Black Gold Saw weren't apart of it :(

BRSxIgnition said:

I am! But I doubt it will ever happen :/

]The stop motion and Puchitto Rock Shooter are more like side joke things featuing the side characters, they don't have proper plots or as much popularity as any of the other forms of BRS. But I do agree, I should have included them nonetheless - consider them between the Manga and PSP Game in terms of score.

Well, any official form of BRS should have been included, especially if you really want people to have an understanding of BRS (the Anomaro-P vid especially, since it's plot is what inspired the OVA) But thanks for owning up to your little mistake ;) I love the Anomaro-P (we get Dragon Slayer and Miss Maid Gunner!...even though HUKE made it offical that they aren't apart of the BRS universe :/), so I was a little sad that you didn't add it (;´д` )
Mar 4, 2012 6:00 PM

Apr 2009
Will there ever be a Black matagi anywhere in the story. ;_;
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Mar 4, 2012 6:18 PM

Oct 2011
xxangelchanxx said:

She doesn't seem to have been included in anything yet.. But I do like his other character designs.
Mar 4, 2012 7:23 PM

Sep 2011
I'm just now picking up the series again. What day do the subtitles for it come out each week?
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
Mar 4, 2012 8:08 PM

Oct 2011
-LovelyTsundere said:
I'm just now picking up the series again. What day do the subtitles for it come out each week?
The subs are usually our on Thursday from Whynot Subs - and Saturday or Sunday from Commie and the other subbers.
Mar 17, 2012 10:17 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
planetarial said:

MAL lists the earliest air date which was on January 28:

anidb.net said:
The first episode received an early screening at Fuji TV Multi-theater in Tokyo, Minato, Odaiba on Saturday, January 28, 2012 and two additional early screenings, one exclusively for Twitter subscribers, on Sunday, January 29, 2012. The lucky participants were chosen in a lottery. The regular television broadcast started on February 3, 2012.
Mar 17, 2012 1:44 PM

Mar 2010
Why didn't I notice this before? I'm (or at least was) planning to buy the PSP game even though I dislike FPS (it seems to be very FPS based if not outright FPS). WRS seems like a cool charatcer (love her palette) fit for being an enemy boss and I don't mind Grey (or whatever her name is), I also liked the setting very much (gotta love post-apocaliptic worlds) but I don't know much else about it. However, I prefer (read: play only) games with a good storyline so I wanted to know the main cons (I don't really need pros) of the game compared to other BRS stuff. I'd be very happy if someone here could help me out.
Mar 22, 2012 7:13 AM

Feb 2011
I have a question.

Just what the hell is happening in the TV series?

No, seriously.
Mar 22, 2012 8:23 AM

Oct 2011
The_Hriday said:
I have a question.

Just what the hell is happening in the TV series?

No, seriously.

Pretty much, Counselor is abusing her position to help her childhood friend that she made a promise to in the past. The promise was that she would protect her (both Yuu and her "persona".

This involves her causing mental breakdowns in students to create "other selves" (Or "personas") in the other world. These "personas" then instinctively fight against BRS, trying to kill her. (Fighting is the law in this "other world")

Her aim is to have one (or all) of these "personas" beat and kill BRS, therefore saving STR/Yuu.

Mato and Yomi got caught up in this plot, and Mato's "persona" happened to be BRS.

Let me know if you're wondering about anything here - it's as simple as I could make it off the top of my head from memory.
Mar 29, 2012 3:14 AM

Mar 2012
~question~
About Yuu- Did she switch bodies with Strength, so it was YUU that died instead of STRENGTH, and Matow as hanging out with STR all along?

Also, is Dead Master dead? They say that she reappears and blah blah blah
'No matter how good you are you alone cannot change the world.' -L Death Note
'I don't like that word. After all, it makes me lonesome. Even though, 'Farewell'. I have to make sure I say it right, Amber?' -Maki, Darker than Black
~

They say too much thinking can create something that's not really there in the first place. So give me a moment, I'm busy thinking about cake.
Mar 29, 2012 9:28 AM

Mar 2010
Bluefeatherraven said:
~question~
About Yuu- Did she switch bodies with Strength, so it was YUU that died instead of STRENGTH, and Matow as hanging out with STR all along?

Also, is Dead Master dead? They say that she reappears and blah blah blah

Did you even finish watching last episode? Just curious because all of your question and directly answered there.
Basically, Yuu switched bodies with STR (Yuu went into STR's body... that sounds weird) so when STR in real world connected to the other world, she powered Yuu the same way Mato powered BRS. SO, when Yuu went berserk and STR tried to stop her, she decided the only way would be to die, because that would kick Yuu back to real world. Which means that the one dying was STR. And yes, Mato was hanging around STR not Yuu since they switched bodies a long time before the first ep.

Dead Master is alive as you can see her powering up BRS's cannon (along with all other others) so she could shoot iBRS through the ceiling (it did look that way XD). And in the end you can see them (I think there were all others but I might be wrong) in the new other world. Including STR which means that she was brought back to life as well.

Yuu didn't die because at the end you can see her enroll in Mato's school.
Mar 29, 2012 11:15 AM
Jan 2012
xxangelchanxx said:

I was so upset she didn't make it into the show. and I would have liked to replace chariot with dragon slayer cause I kindof saw them both as sadistic queen like entities
Aug 5, 2012 12:23 PM

Aug 2012
This is one of my favorite animes. It's really too bad that it was only 8 episodes :/ I wonder if they're going to make anything else? I mean, it had a pretty conclusive ending but I would love to see this have a season 2 or even a movie.
Aug 8, 2012 3:38 PM

Feb 2010
Iner7ia said:
This is one of my favorite animes. It's really too bad that it was only 8 episodes :/ I wonder if they're going to make anything else? I mean, it had a pretty conclusive ending but I would love to see this have a season 2 or even a movie.
ya they where giving a limit of 8 episodes. why i have no idea, but i hope they are giving the chance to make the show longer. :)
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 13, 2012 1:36 PM
Mar 2012
Probably no one is reading this anymore, but I'll write just in case.

I finished episode 6 right now, so try to avoid spoilers if you please.

Personally, I think this show would be so much more awesome if I had at least a clue of what the hell is going on. The fights are absolutely awesome and the history in the regular world are ok-ish, but it's frustrating to watch episode after episode with no real understanding of the bigger picture. Right now is just a random badassery show mixed with (and not related to) regular high-school drama. I feel like I started watching the anime in the second season. I would probably drop it if it had 12 or 24 episodes.

I really liked the setting, though. To the question, then: is this based in some book? Or is there a "first season"? Or just anything that explains better what is that world about?

EDIT: Finished episode 7, a bunch of surprises. It's a bit sad that the next one is the last - there's so much ground to explore!
RiathamusOct 13, 2012 2:01 PM
Oct 22, 2012 9:00 AM

Aug 2012
Riathamus said:
Probably no one is reading this anymore, but I'll write just in case.

I finished episode 6 right now, so try to avoid spoilers if you please.

Personally, I think this show would be so much more awesome if I had at least a clue of what the hell is going on. The fights are absolutely awesome and the history in the regular world are ok-ish, but it's frustrating to watch episode after episode with no real understanding of the bigger picture. Right now is just a random badassery show mixed with (and not related to) regular high-school drama. I feel like I started watching the anime in the second season. I would probably drop it if it had 12 or 24 episodes.

I really liked the setting, though. To the question, then: is this based in some book? Or is there a "first season"? Or just anything that explains better what is that world about?

EDIT: Finished episode 7, a bunch of surprises. It's a bit sad that the next one is the last - there's so much ground to explore!

Unfortunately, this is mostly it. There is a manga, I believe -- but I haven't read it. I really like this anime, but it's almost entirely based simply on a piece of art, a drawing of what we now call Black Rock Shooter. I don't really think reading the manga would fill in much more information, since the OVA was a great deal different from the anime, and I wouldn't doubt if the manga was different as well. I will read it one day, regardless.
Sep 18, 2013 4:15 PM

Apr 2013
There's one thing that doesn't add up for me and it's about Yuu (actually STR) in the real world.

The time-line is sort of fuzzy regarding Mato meeting Yuu. Supposedly they are childhood (quote "since kindergarten") friends. Is this actually a fact?

Remember that part where Mato is looking for Yuu and asks the basketball club leader for example, and she doesn't remember her, then again no-one remembers her. Then Mato has these shady memories of her and Yuu beeing little kids and Yuu always getting in trouble. Yuu's face is always blurred out.

Then she finally finds Yuu by the river and Yuu (who is actually STR) takes her to the "other world".

Then a lot of stuff happens and STR dies and Yuu goes back to the real world.

We see how she enrolles in the school... that's where it doesn't make sense. So who did Yomi see all the time, when Mato was hanging out with Yuu? Howcomes she's enrolling if she was always there?

Oh and also Saya meet's Yuu when she was little, but that means Mato already knew Yuu all this time, right? So why doesn't Mato appear as Yuu's friends when the fire broke or stuff like that happened?

Also, when Yuu and STR switched bodies.. Mato never noticed? Cmon.. their BFF's.

There's just too many inconsitencies regarding this character. But all in all in doesn't affect the plot a lot, I know.

If instead of the scene where Yuu enrolls to school, we've had Yuu beeing with other students, and they all recognize her and are friednly with her, it would have made much more sense. Now I think Mato was schizophrenic.

No need to answer the questions one by one, just the general time lime explanation.
Oct 27, 2013 2:54 AM

Oct 2013
Xandersson said:

We see how she enrolles in the school... that's where it doesn't make sense. So who did Yomi see all the time, when Mato was hanging out with Yuu? Howcomes she's enrolling if she was always there?

I'm expecting to be really wrong here. but, is it maybe to do with the fact that the two share the other world in a sense? so they could see each other due to their other selves co-existing in the second world and being required to fight?

just my thoughts.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 22, 2012

323 by removed-user »»
Jan 12, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Paul - Feb 2, 2012

336 by Sawdustchunks »»
Oct 17, 2023 2:44 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 23, 2012

239 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Oct 7, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

245 by Spicelit »»
Nov 29, 2022 11:11 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Mar 15, 2012

149 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 6:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.