Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 25, 2012 6:53 AM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good adaptation of the novel. There were a few changes, but I'm glad they kept conversation between Charles and Fana to the necessary sequences. Neither of their characters were exaggerated. The mechanical design of the airplanes and the combat sequences were pretty impressive and smooth.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Feb 27, 2012 3:41 PM
Mar 2011
arsonal said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good adaptation of the novel. There were a few changes, but I'm glad they kept conversation between Charles and Fana to the necessary sequences.

Because of how bad their voice acting was, right? Who would want to sit through an hour and 30 minutes of two teenage kids barely out of/in high school with BARELY any VA experience read from the script? The animation quality was pretty okay, but honestly, with VA casting like that, I'm starting to suspect this was nothing more than a cash-in by Madhouse
Feb 28, 2012 3:37 AM

Jul 2009
chronoex said:
arsonal said:
Good adaptation of the novel. There were a few changes, but I'm glad they kept conversation between Charles and Fana to the necessary sequences.

Because of how bad their voice acting was, right? Who would want to sit through an hour and 30 minutes of two teenage kids barely out of/in high school with BARELY any VA experience read from the script? The animation quality was pretty okay, but honestly, with VA casting like that, I'm starting to suspect this was nothing more than a cash-in by Madhouse

If you're going to complain about voice acting, don't use their age as backing. Kamiki Ryuunosuke is no rookie. He voiced main characters in Summer Wars and Arrietty, both of which won Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year.

I also wouldn't attribute Fana's voice to bad acting. Taketomi Seika actually brings out Fana's awkward feelings around Charles quite well, and she's previously acted in live action works.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Feb 28, 2012 4:56 PM
Apr 2011
Why would she cut her hair?
Heresy.
a6342164Feb 28, 2012 8:44 PM
Feb 28, 2012 11:29 PM

Aug 2007
I've never read the novel, but the movie was enjoyable. I can't say I enjoyed the movie once it got to the topical island, all the development and conversations were just a little too predictable cliche for me.

But the aerial fight scenes were just amazing, and made the movie for me. The movie didn't feel much like a romance to me, Charles and Fana's interaction felt more of a growing friendship (They did only know each other for 4 days) Which I liked.

I usually don't care when characters cut their hair, but Fana's haircut I did not like!

The very last line during the epilogue text did leave me a little confused. "But how their lives ended is still shrouded in mystery..." Did that mean Charles and Fana's? If so, I don't really know why Fana's death would be a mystery if she was some fantastic Empress during her time, unless for some reason she went off to find Charles once her children took the thrown?
Feb 29, 2012 3:41 AM

Feb 2012
I have never read the novel before so I can't compare them but I must admit the movie was quite refreshing.I really liked the art of the animations since I don't see such quality in anime movies recently.As for the plot, pretty much just like every romantic anime movie quite predictable, but like most of you I really liked the aerial battles with the WW2 type of planes.
Feb 29, 2012 4:18 AM
Jul 2009
Ok so I got BD and compared to Mazui.
I can tell that Mazui http://puu.sh/iRqo > BD http://puu.sh/iRpS .

Nice anime but it lack of something.
xxx
Feb 29, 2012 12:04 PM
Mar 2011
arsonal said:
chronoex said:
arsonal said:

If you're going to complain about voice acting, don't use their age as backing. Kamiki Ryuunosuke is no rookie. He voiced main characters in Summer Wars and Arrietty, both of which won Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year.

I also wouldn't attribute Fana's voice to bad acting. Taketomi Seika actually brings out Fana's awkward feelings around Charles quite well, and she's previously acted in live action works.
Not going to argue with you about Kamiki, but I'm not letting ground on Fana's voice. Live Acting != Voice Acting. I'm not going to go into details because it's fairly damn obvious why, but I seriously hope you realize that distinction. Also, there's a difference between "conveying awkward feeling" and reading from the script, because every "Hikuishi-san!" and "Ganbatte!" I heard from her conveyed nothing but indifference. I mean, come on! At least TRY to vary the emotional inflection in your "ganbatte!"s.

I don't care if you argue that she was simply given a bad script or even say that her role demanded script reading, because if this isn't bad voice acting, then I don't know what Hoshimura Makina's (from Shikabane Hime) voice acting was.

No wonder people on Niconico are annoyed at having live actors do major animation roles...
Feb 29, 2012 1:48 PM

Jan 2012
Don't know about the novel but i liked the movie...Nice! :)

Feb 29, 2012 3:34 PM

Jul 2011
Mixed thoughts on this series. It's cliche, but it pulled it off well, it wasn't irritating. Nothing exactly came as a surprise, but it was eye-candy nonetheless. The fights were cool, and it was animated really well by Madhouse. The characters weren't the most developed or creative, they could fit any given archetype, but it didn't subtract much from the enjoyment of the movie.

However, that voice acting was so mediocre. It didn't kill it too much, but it was still really "bad".

Now the ending, it's a bit controversial imo. This movie was essentially a feel-good movie, it wasn't meant to be intricate or complex. But that ending was essentially the inverse of what the ending should have been if it followed the formula of a "happy ending".
Seriously, she's gets married to a dumbfuck superficial prince, and the romance that was building slowly basically disintegrated. It could be compared to 5CMPS, but 5CMPS's success wasn't solely due to it's ending. It was the added realism, and attempts by them to reconcile their lost love, they tried. But this movie on the other hand, they basically had every opportunity to be together, but they still didn't take the initiative. Sure it could be defended as a story about giving up and making sacrifices, but that doesn't fit the genre that the movie tried to accentuate. Seriously, they even did the cliche of childhood friends.

Anyhow, enjoyable watch regardless, just got progressively less enjoyable, still a decent watch though.

EDIT: Basically, the ending tried to illustrate love that wasn't meant to be, but it did so in such a "bad" way. Her sporadic fervor in spending the rest of her life promoting peace is just out there, there wasn't any conversation, or prior discussion on her views, it was just sporadic altruism from her.
mdzMar 1, 2012 4:02 PM
Feb 29, 2012 4:49 PM

Feb 2010
Didn't notice anything offensive in the VA. Then again, I don't speak Japanese. I was more bothered by the CGI and cheesy plot devices that littered the film. All those super-typical anime moments are present: chance childhood meetings, reoccurring lullabies, awkward bonding scenes, battle monologues, etc. I literally lol'd during the slow-mo scene where MC whispers "sorry" before downing his first enemy.

If you're looking for action, this film delivers. Just don't expect Porco Rosso or anything close!
Feb 29, 2012 6:04 PM

Dec 2009
Enjoyment is off the scale for me. Didn't read the novel but now I want to. I am a sucker for love stories. Wanted her to jump off to his plane at the end. =( oh well. (PS: what the hell is with the Titanic like scene, lol)
Feb 29, 2012 6:26 PM

Aug 2010
I liked the movie! xD but I must say in the non-action parts sometimes it was hard to get through it.
Plus, I really really hate it when the ending just cuts off like that... ;__; That's like my biggest pet peeve. So if the ending wasn't like that then maybe it would be better for. It's just my preferences though so maybe others liked it x3
Mar 1, 2012 3:44 AM

Oct 2011
Thus the Novel or Manga have an alternate ending? i want them to be together.
Mar 1, 2012 6:42 AM

Mar 2011
It's a good movie
I wish an happy ending
but oh well haters gonna hate

9/10

Mar 1, 2012 10:44 AM

Jul 2010
this is certainly where opinions of those who have read the LN and those that didn't will vary

as for someone who haven't read the LN, this certainly is a great movie, nothing astounding but just show how refreshing it is to watch a classic theme in this "over-failing state of the anime industry"

MADHOUSE certainly did a great job on this one and is certainly going to "My Best Anime List" especially with that notable and memorable ending. 9/10

Yanoflies said:

Did they just skip the toilet scene? . . .

She didn't take her swimsuit . . . what the hell . . . !

oh they removed it? i'm glad they did, that made the movie a lot better ^^
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Mar 1, 2012 11:07 AM

Jan 2012
I haven't read the novel but I liked the movie... It was kinda good but I think the ending is sad in a way... I feel sorry for the pilot...
Mar 1, 2012 11:31 AM

Nov 2007
OnoD and NamiDai??

NamiDai voicing for the main character's friend is 07-GHOST all over again! And lol @ OnoD's character for falling in love with the girl.
tsubasaloverMar 1, 2012 12:50 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 1, 2012 12:42 PM

Aug 2007
N1neteen said:
Thus the Novel or Manga have an alternate ending? i want them to be together.

No, the novel ends pretty much the same way. But the author does leave the ending slightly more optimistic for the reader to choose or not if they meet again in the future.

But the novel also implies that after throwing away all his gold there, Charles went back to being a mercenary and most likely died in some unknown fight.

They're just not meant to be really, imo.
Mar 2, 2012 2:25 AM

Nov 2009
I haven't read the Light Novel; I'm planning to. And I enjoyed the movie a lot. I could even say that it was the best I've seen in a while. Although I like reserved girls too, her short hair cut (I'm a sucker for short hair) along with personality change was brilliant. It seemed like the seiyuu couldn't adapt to that change though.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Mar 2, 2012 7:45 PM

Apr 2011
Great and wonderful movie. Thought there were some...plot holes and cliches.

The ending was bitter sweet. They all made it back alive and said their farewells, but they didn't end up together, and leave it open for the viewers imagination.

But if they showed she ended up with together in the end or a scene where she jumps from the ship and went with Charles, I would be very much delighter and score this higher.

Animation and visual is great eye candy. But it just felt they could add more...
Mar 2, 2012 8:32 PM

May 2011
I think the biggest thing they could have done to improve the story was to get out the part where they found out they met as children and that Charles was the son of Fana's childhood maid who was taken away because Fana's dad was an asshole. If they would have gotten that out earlier in the story and built around that, I would have believed in the developments of Fana wanting to be with Charles.

Fana's development was also very late. The first half of the movie she was as bland as an unflavored rice cake. I took until the second major battle scene and her hair cut for her to really grow a personality.

Her personality and their childhood stories needed to come out much sooner so they could have had better interaction between one another and make the story better overall. The Island sequence felt like they dumped way too many developments at once. It started off way too slow and rushed it all towards the end.

Also, I think they needed a bit of romance between the two. Yes, the novel says that she would be checked for virgin status upon completion of the mission. But still, I think if they started falling for each other more it would have made the ending more intense and bittersweet.

As superficial as the dialogue seemed to be. The overall feel of the movie was nice. I enjoy adventures and this was a decent one. It's a pretty good watch, so I gave my final score a 7/10.
CirrisMar 2, 2012 9:48 PM
Mar 3, 2012 9:25 AM

Oct 2011
I would prodly recommend this movie to anyone. I really liked the ending. It's not like in *** shonen where no matter what will happen for example Ichigo will always win.
Anyway we received what we should expect from MadHouse ; )
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2012 12:23 PM

Jun 2009
It's a solid film. It's a bit predictable and the ending was too melodramatic. But other than that I rate it a good anime film.

Oh and mdz. In the last words of the film they stated that nobody knows how their lives ended. Possibly hinting that they got together in the end.
KimuraJul 19, 2012 2:35 AM

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Mar 3, 2012 3:23 PM

Nov 2007
I thought the movie was very good and aside from the top notch art and animation, I actually found the voice acting exceptionally good too. So much for some of you guys' complains, I don't give a cent. <.<

I would have loved it more if they ended up being together, but reality kicked in and they parted their ways, which was okay and thus giving the movie a solid 8/10
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 4, 2012 8:45 AM

May 2011
The movie was really good. The Ariel manuovers were awesome and animation there was top notch. The character development was lacking a bit but maybe it cant be helped when you are trying to condense fair amount of action along with some character development to actually show growing relationships between characters in a hour and a half movie. And I too didn't find the voice actors annoying. Loved the landscapes. so I give it 8/10 overall.
Mar 4, 2012 11:13 AM
Feb 2012
Guess he went chilling on a island.
Like he said.

I like the movie.
Too bad is wasn't meant to be.
8/10
Mar 4, 2012 5:04 PM

Jan 2008
Goddammit I hate endings like this, why can't they be daring and just go off somewhere? I mean, if she didn't show up in time they would assume she had died (after some searching probably) and that be the end of it. It's not like that retarded prince would have cared.

you know, I think that if that happened it would have been less cliche. Pretty much every movie I've seen about romance and different status and whatnot end with them separated. For once I'd like to see a movie that doesn't go that route and actually dares to do something different. Is it the Japanese culture? Living for your country or something?

P.S.: anyone, feel free to send me a PM with a title that has a happy ending for the main pair, e.g. the exact opposite from this one in regards to that.

DJ007 said:
It's not like in *** shonen where no matter what will happen for example Ichigo will always win.

I've seen more series end with the MC's not getting together than getting together. I personally would love to see a show with a true "happy ending". And I do mean together. Not die together, or thinking about eachother, NO, actually being with the one they love, get kidz and all that shizzle.

I've started first looking at the ending of a show before I begin reading/watching it because I'm sick and tired of getting crap like in this series.
TheUniqueReaperMar 4, 2012 5:18 PM
Mar 6, 2012 2:13 PM

Nov 2010
The Journey, the Air Battles and the Waterfall Scenes were Amazing.

I have my doubts about throwing away your stash of gold at the end.

I assumed the cut would be for the entire Mercenary team as well.

A wonderful movie.
Mar 6, 2012 7:55 PM

Dec 2007
Didn't like the end. It was all happy and innocent, then he leaves her anyway... to marry a fail prince leading a fail country. Should have took her and went to the enemy side and join them instead. lol
Mar 7, 2012 5:20 PM
Dec 2007
It was a pretty good and old school movie, very similar in tone and inspiration to Miyazaki's Laputa and Porco Rosso (several scenes are ressembling those two movies' closely, though not as rip-offish as Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is compared to Mononoke) with nice direction from a rookie director and a magnificient musical score. I also really liked the two voice actors, they felt very fresh and enthusiastic despite their lack of experience. But with that said, The Princess And The Pilot was also heavily flawed, the script and dialogues were especially contrived and over-played most of the times, plus the animation wasn't that good for an animated feature. Well, let's say it could have been far better but at least it was bright and felt right overall.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 8, 2012 5:47 AM

Aug 2008
The flight battle was great.
The Seiyuu sounds a little awkward. And some settings don't make sense though.

May not be the best they can do, but it's still pretty good. I think 7/10 should be fair.
Mar 10, 2012 1:04 PM

Jun 2011
reaper_unique said:
Goddammit I hate endings like this, why can't they be daring and just go off somewhere? I mean, if she didn't show up in time they would assume she had died (after some searching probably) and that be the end of it. It's not like that retarded prince would have cared.

you know, I think that if that happened it would have been less cliche. Pretty much every movie I've seen about romance and different status and whatnot end with them separated. For once I'd like to see a movie that doesn't go that route and actually dares to do something different. Is it the Japanese culture? Living for your country or something?

P.S.: anyone, feel free to send me a PM with a title that has a happy ending for the main pair, e.g. the exact opposite from this one in regards to that.

DJ007 said:
It's not like in *** shonen where no matter what will happen for example Ichigo will always win.

I've seen more series end with the MC's not getting together than getting together. I personally would love to see a show with a true "happy ending". And I do mean together. Not die together, or thinking about eachother, NO, actually being with the one they love, get kidz and all that shizzle.

I've started first looking at the ending of a show before I begin reading/watching it because I'm sick and tired of getting crap like in this series.

Exactly my thoughts ^_^. I don't know why but japanese don't seem to like happy endings...Do they always think that things will never turn as good as they may want to be ? Happy endings are not cliched since they are pretty rare in animes where life is endangered(exemple Gurren Lagan, Angel Beats,Darker Than Black T_T) or when they want to leave an open ending . As for me this movie was just removed from the list of "have to buy" ... Too bad I really liked the movie, but the ending just made the entire story completly pointless T_T .
Now that was just my thought ^^, everyone has their own taste and I know that many people don't like happy ending like "they lived happily and had many children" ^^.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2012 5:09 PM

Apr 2009
Loved the orchestral musics and Madhouse is fucking Madhouse. Enjoyable enough for a random pickup, but, eh, I'm not going to be singing hallelujahs about this thing anytime soon.

The ending wasn't horrendous to me. I'm more mad that there wasn't any reintroduction of the prince and a little more expenditure on what happens afterwards, but it ends at I think a pretty good point. Of course there were chances for them to elope and goody-happy end together, but I think with a movie like this centered so clearly on themes of... racism(?) and forbidden love of course, there will be quite a bit of needed unraveling and development afterwards over everyone's response to their romance.
Mar 18, 2012 1:14 AM

Jun 2010
A rather average and somewhat bland story is dragged down into something slightly painful by a poor performance by the female lead. When you've only got two real characters, one of them getting such a wooden performance is downright disastrous.
Mar 18, 2012 1:34 PM

Apr 2009
I haven't read the novel as well but I found this was cliche, predictable, late character development, blah, blah. In spite of all that, some of the scenes especially that hugee waterfalls (the sea or I guess, the ocean is draining into another ocean, in the middle of the ocean! O_o ) and dog fights were great. At the end, I somehow managed to enjoy and be entertained by this, so 8/10 for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 18, 2012 8:16 PM

Jul 2010
Digglett said:
I know you're not happy with it, but the spam raging is annoying, stop it.

Agreed it wasent that bad, pretty bittersweet ending. I personally liked the VA's for the lead girl. she did a great job.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Mar 18, 2012 10:43 PM

Feb 2011
As many have pointed out repeated times, it seems japanese don't believe or like happy endings.

The movie itself wasn't bad, however the ending (as with most anime) screwed the whole movie up.

All that character build up, all those sequences, EVERYTHING WASTED because of a shitty ending.
Mar 19, 2012 9:57 AM

Aug 2010
I haven't read the novel so maybe that's why I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the ending was realistically well done. I mean think about it, you really wanted them to end up being together? The story is about unrequited love and the movie executed that aspect really well.

I think that the only flaw in the movie that might of detracted some enjoyment was the voice acting. It was pretty bad in some points, especially for the Princess.

Overall, I REALLY enjoyed this movie. I watched it going in with no expectations at all and I was left utterly impressed.
Mar 22, 2012 5:17 AM
Feb 2011
An hour and a half and still not enough character depth. And the voice acting almost wholly butchered it. But that aside, I loved how she always says "Charuru". I also wanted an ending that favored the pilot, but it just made me feel bad. Not bittersweet, but really bad. And the animation especially the seascape scenery was lovely. Probably the only thing that made me keep watching.
Mar 23, 2012 4:02 PM

Dec 2010
Sleep-inducing.It's standard anime conventions from start to finish. Predictable, bland and without any passion. Not even the uneventful but enjoyable type of slice of life because there's not a single fresh idea. I get the impression the creators were forced to do this.
Mar 27, 2012 11:11 PM
Feb 2009
fuckkk they shoulda been together
Mar 30, 2012 8:29 PM

Jan 2011
Eh, I liked the light novel much better than the movie adaptation. Some good parts of the story from the novel were changed, rushed, and even skipped. The story was also seemingly very boring and bland without the character development you were given from the novel.

Although I guess the aerial fight animation scenes were pretty cool.

6/10
SacredFactorMar 30, 2012 8:35 PM
Apr 4, 2012 4:03 PM

Feb 2010
that was pretty good. I liked the main male lead, but the overall story...etc was kinda bland. I loved the music and character designs. 7/10

Yanoflies said:

I . . . will stop posting here anymore sorry.

thank god. u mad bro?
May 6, 2012 9:20 PM

Oct 2008
What the hell did I just watch?
I haven't read the novel but my comment about the movie is.
no story, no music, no characters.
May 31, 2012 10:56 AM

Mar 2011
I doubt I would throw away all the gold he and she worked hard for.
Jul 1, 2012 10:29 AM

Sep 2010
Liked it, but there was something missing about this movie.
Maybe the novel is better (?)
Well I hope that gon' have a good life.
But I doubt it for the pilot since he throw all the gold :P
Aug 5, 2012 4:46 AM

Apr 2012
In my opinion...

Produced by renowned Japanese animation studios Madhouse and TMS Entertainment, Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku [known to the non-Japanese viewer as “The Princess and the Pilot”] is deservedly situated within the small aggregation of anime with which I both solemnly and proudly affirm myself an adherent thereof. Disregarding outright the conspicuous errors effectuated by director Shishido Jun, screenplay writer Okudera Satoko, and lead-role voice actors Taketomi Seika and Kamiki Ryunosuke (certainties, to a degree, with which many of the film’s discontented viewers repeatedly refer to so as to “validate” their own adverse opinions), this movie, in a manner which involves the requirement of prodigious caliber, managed to exhibit certain, defining elements - elements pertaining to the attentive detailing stressed upon the creation of its visually appealing scenes, in the development of its lead characters, and, most importantly, in the execution of its plot.

Titles like this, despite their flaws, are what motivate me to watch anime. For me, Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku is deserving of a 6 out of 10.
RakutomiSep 3, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 11, 2012 9:03 PM
Jan 2011
I dont even know what to say! this story is rife with cliches and, wholly feels like they are prodding a fully milked-and dead cow with a stick trying to make it get up and get back to work.

the execution is sub par, as if they were playing a game of "pin the overused trope on the anime" or something like that. from the chance childhood meeting of the two kids, to the overly and overtly genki friends, to the "love that can never be", to the rapidly changing personality of the princess, to the sheer boringness of charles' character. all of it has been done before, and almost any other show out there has done it better. and while all of this may be bad, what really gets me is the whole idea of Charles as a "bestado", the lowest caste in the levamme empire.

The idea of the lower caste character has been done well before. just look at Suzaku from Code Geass. the creaters wove a real conflict between Suzaku's goals, and his status as a "lowly Eleven". interactions are done extremely well in that show, and this status defines him. in this anime however, the idea of the Bestado doesnt fit in well at all, and seems like the writers wanted to include an extra obstacle in Charles' path to love.

to start, the whole idea of the Bestado isnt really explained at all, and apparently all we need to know is that Charles is of the lowest class, a hated "sewer rat" who lies, cheats, and steals to make a living. But looking at him, or even looking at the story, you'd never expect it. this guy seems like a perfectly normal person, completely unaffected by all the things that happened to him in the past, no hatred for anyone, just brushes off taunts

the reason why this idea fails is because every time his class status is mentioned, there is always a character telling us why the world hates him. they never show his plight to anyone. we dont even know what the qualifications for bestado status are, or even why it is so bad. If the creators have ever written a college essay or even seen code geass, or some other similar anime with good execution, they would know that you are supposed to "show dont tell".

it is so poorly executed in the anime, in fact, that taking out this minor plot point would barely affect the direction of the story at all. this is supposed to serve as a sort of "class based love affair that can never happen", but it would be almost exactly the same if he were just a simple citizen/commoner, albeit without the unneeded bullying.

but by far the most Out-of-the-blue thing they do in this anime, and that really set me off, was that these supposedly "high class" people GIVE HIM THEIR PRINCESS, TO FLY ALONE, WITHOUT ESCORT, ACROSS DANGEROUS TERRITORY AND THROUGH ENEMY LINES!" i mean COME ON!!!! WHO THE DEVIL WAS MAKING THIS DECISION? am i missing something here? what kind of general trusts the "lowlife sewer rat" with their princess and expects him to deliver her to the kingdom without all help, in an inferior aircraft, and completely against all odds? DID IT AT ANYTIME CROSS THEIR MINDS THAT THE BESTADO MIGHT STEAL HER AWAY??? there was nothing stopping him! i mean, if he were just a neutral citizen/commoner, i would completely understand that he should do all in his power to deliver her, despite getting none of the credit, but COME ON! EVERYONE HATES HIM! he could just hightail it away somewhere else and start a life with her. thats what she wanted. and then he could have had a princess and no money, versus having no money and no princess and dying like a dirty dog. oh yea, which brings up ANOTHER CLICHE. the honorable and morally good anime character that just doesnt make the right decisions! none of it fits within the context of the show, and contributes next to nothing to the story. add in some dumb samurai pilot, a bunch of ships, and a cursory glance at some falling dudes in an attempt to humanize the enemy, and you have this anime, a steaming pile of poorly written jank.

overall, trying to stuff a bunch of romantic cliches into an already milked-dry and dead cow is not going to yield delicious milk, and this anime is the poster child for that fear. apparently someone thought that they could teach us a lesson that things are not like the movies, but in overusing tons of ideas from previous shows, they cause this one to just flop right on its face, effectively eliminating the hour and a half worth of enjoyment you may get from it.

on a positive note though, the art was pretty nice.

Overall: 6/10
Sep 12, 2012 10:46 AM

Aug 2008
Honestly it was that good i felt i had to post.

Personally i think she suited short hair, it was actually that imagine and the description of her that made me watch it and glad i did, very enjoyable. I'm also certain i have heard her voice in something before, not looked her up but i'll be suprised if it turns out i haven't.

Only gripe and after reading some posts and learning it had a novel i feel i cant complain as much about is that nothing happened between them. So much chemistry you were dying to see something happen and yet it never came, though his ending gesture was very well done. I did picture her jumping off the airship or falling like she did so many times before. Though this time leading to him catching her and escaping together or maybe eloping is better word choice :)

Though as i say since it came from a novel even if i haven't read it i don't like when they make big changes like that, so it's left just as wishful thinking. I do accept minor changes do happen and sometimes have to happen as somethings just don't work as well on screen as they do in a book.

I gave it a 9, would of been a 10 had they eloped :) i'm still running on the high of having watched something great and it's shows like this that make watching anime so enjoyable
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» The ending is so stupid,gotta feel for the pilot

R_TF - Jul 9, 2016

16 by removed-user »»
Oct 25, 2023 12:47 PM

» Please read the LN instead

thresholden - Jun 28, 2013

6 by Neostorm-X »»
Oct 10, 2022 5:48 AM

» Should I watch this?

SojiroUtaite - Mar 1, 2012

14 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 14, 2015 11:53 PM

» trailers

Kurini - Jan 18, 2012

2 by amc9988 »»
Feb 16, 2012 6:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.