Forum Settings
Forums

animes better than the source material(mangas, novels, video games, and so on)

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 17, 2013 11:15 PM

Mar 2013
I haven't read an awful lot of manga at all, but I have read the Death Note manga and am siding with those who say it was better than the anime. The manga went into more detail about many plot points, which in a series like Death Note that is chock full of Xanatos gambits from all the crazy smart detectives trying to outwit each other, becomes very important. Also, I felt like they tried too hard to overdramatise certain scenes in the anime, especially episode 25. I feel like the way they handled that part of the story in the manga was better suited to the overall atmosphere of the series.

As for a manga series that has a better anime counterpart, I'm going to have to say Kuroko no Basket. Don't get me wrong, the manga is good and the art has improved considerably over time, but just comparing the part covered in the anime to its corresponding chapters in the manga, it is much more entertaining and heart-pounding to see every basketball match come to life in the animation. I think the same goes for many (but certainly not all) sports and action-oriented series, because it just makes sense that moving images and music will convey a more interesting story than still images.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jun 17, 2013 11:40 PM
May 2009
Hm, that's a tough question! I would have to say Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. You know, all those 90s anime. ;D (Although I guess it might have to do with nostalgia.)

Shingeki no Kyojin does an amazing job of adapting the manga too, although I'm more worried about an anime-only ending. Ao no Exorcist did an excellent job as well, even though it had an original ending. And I'm currently watching Birdy the Mighty: Decode and while I've heard it's very different from the source material (manga), it's turning out to be really good!
Jun 29, 2013 7:01 PM

Jul 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
To add to the list
Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun
Sukitte Ii na yo

Disagreed. Both were two short. Tonari wasn't interesting enough as an anime because it had not point to go to. Sukitte was butchered completely.
Jun 29, 2013 7:43 PM
Jul 2012
Keetriver said:
Dragon ball series by a longshot. I read the manga and its rushed as hell. Though the anime drags things out, it makes it more epic.

I'm a huge dragon ball fan but.... Just no lol

I did actually enjoy the filler since I already read the series a lot so was always excited to see new stuff, but saying the manga is RUSHED is just wrong lol

Anyway OT answer for me is 2003 FMA
Jun 29, 2013 8:17 PM

Mar 2013
Easily Hunter x Hunter. The manga is such an information dump that it's hard to read sometimes. The sound track and extended action in the anime makes it so much better.
Jun 29, 2013 9:03 PM

Feb 2012
The only one I can think of (since I've only read a limited number of titles) is Gintama. This is kinda debateable among fans but I find that most fans prefer the anime. I highly suggest, it's an incredible watch.
Jun 29, 2013 9:21 PM

Nov 2012
I doubt that those claiming that the anime for HxH is better than the manga actually even read the manga.
Jun 29, 2013 9:44 PM

Feb 2010
Hunter x Hunter because dat manga art.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 29, 2013 9:53 PM

May 2013
I'm tempted to say Bleach.

Also, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Normally when Anime beats Manga, it's because of the music and if any, fight scenes. That's how it is for me.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jun 29, 2013 9:57 PM

Nov 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Hunter x Hunter because dat manga art.
The art is only bad at the end of G.I and beginning of Chimera Ant and that's only for a few chapters they get fixed in the Tankobans, but everything after that looks good.
Jun 29, 2013 10:11 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm gintama, it's way better when you see them animated it adds more laughs. lol.
Jun 30, 2013 3:50 AM

Mar 2012
I'd say K-On! and Lucky Star, I don't really like 4 koma much
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SilentSuicide&sclick=1]
Jun 30, 2013 3:58 AM

Sep 2012
most shows kyoani have based off a manga.
(k-on, lucky star) infact, kyoani tends to take average mangas and make smash hits.

azumanga daioh was equally as good as the manga, and some scenes were far better animated.

aria was essentially everything that made the manga good, but animated, beautifully, with an amazing soundtrack and visuals.
Jun 30, 2013 4:02 AM

Jul 2012
FMA, the first anime. The story may be shorter and less complex, but the anime is slow paced and is way darker.

HxH, the first anime. The OSTs are so fucking relaxing ( especially the instrumentals of Ohayou ), and it stops right when the manga start being shit.

Gintama, because of Sugita.

Death note, because of Kira's laugh.
Jun 30, 2013 4:54 AM

Apr 2013
Not that I've read it but apparently the Shoujo Kakumei Utena manga pales in comparison to the anime.
Jun 30, 2013 5:11 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Threads merged.
Jun 30, 2013 9:51 AM
Sep 2012
Mirai Nikki due to them expanding with 7ths backstory, better pacing etc.
Jun 30, 2013 10:45 AM
Jun 2013
Maybe it's just me but I enjoy the GTO anime much more than the manga (even though the manga has so many interesting references to Japanese culture)
Jun 30, 2013 11:49 AM
Apr 2013
Original FMA
The anime ensung is just better than that typic shonen shit we see in the manga/remake
Jun 30, 2013 1:13 PM

Dec 2012
The World God Only Knows.... Easily better than the manga. Manga drags out like fuck, putting in pointless arcs lol.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 30, 2013 1:20 PM
Jan 2011
I would say Hunter x Hunter since the manga's art is really bad.
Jun 30, 2013 1:26 PM

Jun 2007
Railgun and Railgun S

They flawlessly and very loyally adapt the source material while adding heap tons of content that doesn't mess with the canon, the characters, or the chronology at all. It's like getting a free update to a video game that adds weeks worth of additional story and character development. The directing - especially in S, is some of the best I've seen in any anime and everything from the lighting to the scene composition is on par with a high budget Hollywood film, so that aspect also helps make it much better than the manga which is just your typical frame work.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

103 by mo_lave »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

66 by 8oomer »»
8 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

25 by Tropisch »»
10 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

41 by epidemia78 »»
14 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

33 by WatchTillTandava »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.