Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2012 12:24 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shuffle and Lucky Star aside (both of which I didn't even finished) this is the worse crap I've ever seen since Madlax!
Nov 29, 2014 9:47 AM

Dec 2008
What people do for comfort or meaning is vast when we consider that, aside from opinion based ideas, our instinctual drives can overwhelm most others. The major instinct of all is freedom to just be free.

So spoilers for those whom dont want spoilers!!!!!

Nuts to this I liked it. 7.5/10 for an older anime is not bad, though it was like an M Knight Shamalalalaa ( how is it spelled...hm..lol) movie...just a good jerkin around lol

Anyways there is just something about a matrix like apocalyptic world story always reverberates so uniquely with humans its uncanny. Life is shattered for a few people as they eventually discover the world has ended and they have been living within their minds in a virtual space to recreate the world before calamity. Only 12 people survived, with a 13th being a living server for stability of environments and emotion. BUT it becomes obvious that this is a ruse as all kinds od omens and horrendous images of the last days of humanity are relived, or at the least unconscious fears manifest within the system to creat the conflict needed to pull away from the construct and emerge in the wasteland of the real world. PErhaps the others will follow, but the truth, like life, does not discern bewteen good or bad, as fate would have it all is simply just as it is: life...and nothing more; all things that begin ,end and change is the only constant.
May 31, 2015 10:52 AM

Feb 2013
I liked it.

I assume those were Aya's footprints at the end there. I was assuming some magic/multidimensional thing. I was wrong. It's all in their heads!

So the 13th is like the system admin? That's too much for a little girl to handle.
I'm guessing everyone in Aya's world disappeared because she figured out it wasn't real (though she wasn't aware of that herself).

It was far from perfect though. It could have been great, but was lacking in some ways.
7/10 overall (good)

Reminded me of Zegapain and RahXephon in some ways.
Sep 20, 2016 9:53 AM

Nov 2013
I think Exhibitionist Chick should cover herself before anyone else.

So, my prediction from last episode was right. Humanity went extinct and the last survivors rested in pods and imagined their own worlds.

In the end MC-kun woke up and followed the footsteps, that are apparently Aya's.

An interesting premise hindered by rather terrible execution.

6/ 10
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 1, 2017 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
Fucking terrible. Sums it up quite well.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
May 5, 2017 3:18 AM
Sep 2014
So they basically chose to forsake living in an apocalyptic world & instead escaped to this virtual reality replica, which was actually the product of his brother's experiment. And this entire experiment was powered by the hope of the little sister? What? I don't get this bit. How bizarre that the brother "just happened" to have developed this 'Pandora project'...how did he know the world was about to end & that he needed to start the project to save whoever didn't die? What really caused the extinction of humanity which left only 12 survivors?

All I understood was the last bit at the ending. Aya and the main dude decided to leave the virtual space & confront reality by living in the apocalyptic world. He saw Aya's footprints in the snow and tracked her down.

This entire story makes little sense. The 12 survivors could've literally continued living in the real world... there are tons of resources left on Earth...and evidently it wasn't some viral outbreak since the main character (i don't even remember his name) managed to survive just fine once he left the pod. One other thing I don't get is why Aya didn't simply wait for him to leave his pod but left on her own? If both Aya and him could survive in reality...why won't the rest follow them instead of living in those pods... man i'm confused...
Jul 5, 2017 9:31 PM

Jun 2013
Reminded me Tom Cruise's Vanilla Sky final.
Sep 19, 2018 3:44 PM

Oct 2015
I still don't understand why would Akio choose Aya, is it love over Tama or pity. I know Tama and everyone is dead (probably Mutsuki too), but why discard her like that. I still don't get if he loved Tama or loved Aya for whatever reason?? If he loved Aya he is lame, Tama was such a cool character although an air head. If he loved them both he should die also.

Because I didn't get his feelings and all, I'll have to downgrade this one to 5/10. The 5 is for the twist of the story in this episode, where everything is revealed and why he had those reboots. I was only disappointed by the fan-service(which was done by those unnecessary characters), the old man character, and also the cheap romance of "I will find you".
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 1, 2019 11:56 PM

Aug 2015
I found out about this anime after I caught part of episode 2 on an internet TV channel dedicated to anime, then decided to check this anime out.

I went into this knowing it was a visual novel adaptation, and boy, this is the most 2000s visual novel anime ever lol As usual, the first episode introduces the three heroines- the buriko childhood friend, and surprisingly, an adult woman, but the anime is on the route of Aya, probably the most popular heroine. And boy, does she look sharp- and badass with a bow and arrow.

This had some powerful moments, and an intriguing but hard to follow mystery. I seem to be a sucker for apocalyptic melancholy and the scenario of survivors preserving a memory of Earth in a Matrix-like environment is pretty interesting. The tone, apocalyptic scenario and false worlds reminded me a little of 2002's RahXephon.
The surreal isolation of Aya and MC lviing a daily routine in the empty city; it reminded me of a similar scenario in Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer.
Beautiful Dreamer spoiler:

I found Aya's mental fortitude to commit to a normal daily routine in this situation commendable, though clearly insane. We never really get a look inside her head, but episode 2 is pretty well-built. It's easy to see how Aya and MC would develop feelings in this situation.

However, reflecting on it, this anime has some glaring flaws.The first is the OL, Marufuji. She has no purpose in this story other than as boobs. She's pretty much here to be groped for fanservice, which is a rather distasteful way to throw in crotch shots.

At least her exhibitionist SF friend with the PPK is in her element.

There are some story details that are not really resolved, leaving me with questions. Who picked these 12 survivors? Somehow, Big Brother knows about the apocalypse and ensures his family is wired in, but what about the other 8 survivors? Was it pure chance that Aya and Marufuji get in? Where do the "NPCs" come from? How could there have been a shadow or fairy or whatever in a girl in episode 1 if that girl was an NPC like Tama?

What about what shotgun man ( I forget his name) said about "troublemakers" being thrown into moon city? Who were the two human killers there-also survivors? Why are they there if the fairies are supposed to eliminate troublemakers? I can only imagine that there was perhaps a large number of survivors who were gradually whittled down and executed by Mutsuki sending them to moon city as punsihment for realizing the world was fake and getting depressed. That seems to make Aya a special case of "being sent to solitary confinement" rather than being sent to moon city like apparently groper-shotgun man.

It seems that the reason Aya's world collapsed was that her mother died and came back to life inside the sim, making her suspension of disbelief collapse. The sim should not have killed her mother in the first place, but I'll allow for glitches in any computer program. Apparently, her despair then causes the other worlds to collapse if she tries to enter them through moon city. In this case, Interlude seems to be dealing with some kind of supernatural or eschatological apocalypse, which gives a kind of kinda Shin Megami Tensei feel but maybe not as compelling or easily understandable as nuclear armageddon.

maybe the VN resolves these questions, but the anime doesn't. The ending, as has been noted in other posts, also doesn't really makes sense, why isn't Aya's stasis chamber close to MC's since they were in the same complex in the flashback prior to entering.

Still, I did have an emotional reaction to it and in particular MC's recognition he took Tama for granted was a nice bit of character writing.
That said, all the characters are kinda flat and this is no great work of literature. Aya doesn't have as much definition, while Mutsuki is easily enough to figure out after episode 3 if you know anything about imoutos. It was interesting and appealed to my melancholic sensibilities but I can't say it's a hidden gem.
glassknucklesOct 2, 2019 12:47 AM
Nov 18, 2020 9:53 AM

Oct 2010
very intriguing anime, I understood all the simulation stuff but there are questions still, was aya actually not in the sim, all wired up and she created that world in her head and somehow her world and the main dude's world met in episode 2? we know that the laws of phyaics collapsed and only people who maintained their minds survived, maybe aya was one if them. was aya his girlfriend in the real world and his memo was wiped out because he saw tama diying before him and he created that world in his pandora box container? I have no idea.
it was interesting so I'll search for ways to play the VN or even watch a walkthrough
5/10 I've seen better anime which I rated 6
last thoughts, the ed is weird
Dec 5, 2023 2:02 PM

Dec 2022
The decision to have what sounded like nursery school-aged children sing in the last scene ruined what would've otherwise been a very emotionally complex, beautiful ending.

I wish this anime didn't take so long to delve into the realm of the psychological, because it began to impress with it once the outlandish dream world adventure sequences were done with.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interlude Episode 2 Discussion

gohdan - Apr 22, 2012

5 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 5, 2023 12:55 PM

Poll: » Interlude Episode 1 Discussion

meneope - Feb 6, 2012

8 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 5, 2023 11:41 AM

» Interlude Discussion

VessaKamio - Aug 15, 2008

9 by TheBigGuy »»
Sep 20, 2016 9:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.