Forum Settings
Forums

Are people taking this "waifu" business a bit too seriously?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 17, 2012 5:42 AM

Feb 2010
Let me rephrase it "Are people taking this video a bit too seriously?". It's an obvious joke, but oh well.
LUL
Feb 17, 2012 5:58 AM

Jun 2008
AnnoKano said:
People in this thread: why are you so dumb?

He was obviously taking the piss.

one-more-time said:
Let me rephrase it "Are people taking this video a bit too seriously?". It's an obvious joke, but oh well.

This two got it. seriously most of this guys are just trolling guys like the op

I could easily just pull out a cake from the fridge and put it in-frond of my TV while having an anime picture of a girl showing on the screen and start singing happy birthday and suddenly people will go crazy.
It doesn't exactly need much of an effort to appear like you do a lot when you do so little.
One time i was reading an article about creepy otaku and it had a picture of a plate with pizza in-frond of the screen of an anime girl. Funny enough i was eating pizza while reading that and my wallpaper was an anime girl. So i thought: Wait a minute, if i just put my plate in-frond of my wallpaper screen i will suddenly be a creepy otaku? Wow! It doesn't take much does it?
It's so easy so they like doing it and take photos or make videos and have you going crazy about it.
The term waifu is kind of ridiculous to hear though. I laugh with people saying "my waifu" about 2D girls. She ain't real dude how the hell is she your waifu and when the hell did you supposedly marry her secretly from all her other fans? Lol.

Zoml3ie said:
Are you saying this and religion are related?

Well they ain't much of a difference really. People worshiping images of imaginary beings. Hey at least the 2D guy knows his waifu or whatever doesn't exist outside of the 2D realm and doesn't think she's all mighty. Religion might be more crazy.
MonadFeb 17, 2012 6:16 AM
Feb 17, 2012 6:08 AM

Aug 2011
Don't know if trolling or ... :-D
Feb 17, 2012 6:17 AM

Dec 2009
feder said:
Ushinawa_Cho said:
It's like this show I watched about people who are in love with inanimate objects. This one woman is in love with the Berlin Wall and this other man is in love with his two cars, like seriously IN LOVE.

Its weird to me, but they seem really happy and I guess that's what really matters (its still odd to me, lol).

Reminds me of a news report I read about a woman who's in love with an amusement park ride and would....do things to it. I don't think I could ever ride on that ride again. XD

I read about that, and promptly lost faith in humanity.
Not to be rude, but I think people like that (who take it all seriously) need to get checked out.

Feb 17, 2012 6:20 AM

Nov 2011
I don't think he was fully serious and he was most likely doing it for a pratical joke... i hope either way i got a laugh and thought it was pretty cute.
Feb 17, 2012 6:24 AM

Jul 2011
You guys are stupid, he's obviously joking. I also wouldn't be surprised if he lurks 4chan regularly.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Feb 17, 2012 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
He's trolling alright. But so if he wasn't? It's his life and as long as his happy...
Still laughed my ass off
Feb 17, 2012 11:52 AM

Sep 2011
Haha.Thanks for sharing, I needed a laugh.
Feb 17, 2012 12:08 PM

Feb 2012
...I don't think he was joking. Have you looked at his other videos?

He has another one showing his waifu attending his birthday, lol
Feb 17, 2012 12:13 PM

Jan 2012
How do you do things to an amusement park ride? And more importantly, with all those other customers around, when?
My apologies, children, for I am afraid I cannot save you all.
Feb 17, 2012 2:11 PM

Apr 2009
The only english site where ive seen people creepy enough to do that is sankaku and i honestly wish something would happen so that asshole stops making posts on that site.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Feb 17, 2012 3:18 PM

Apr 2008
That's just disgusting. She's a minor.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Feb 17, 2012 3:55 PM

Jan 2012
Zatoichi said:

Lol!

Also anyone else notice his mouse mad XD
Feb 17, 2012 4:05 PM

Oct 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVS567-mTMA&feature=related

Here's the link to the other birthday one.
Feb 17, 2012 4:08 PM

Feb 2012
CallMeChip said:
Zatoichi said:

Lol!

Lmao @ Zatoichi

@ CallMeChip

Yep! My friend's uncle has one I think, lol
Feb 17, 2012 9:11 PM

Aug 2010
CallMeChip said:

I would think that oppai mouse pads would be pretty comfortable.
Feb 17, 2012 9:23 PM

Nov 2008
Zatoichi said:

Who cares. Love is blind when it comes to 2D and age for 2D characters is only a number.

Feb 17, 2012 9:31 PM

Aug 2010
Well...I just don't know what to think about that XD

anyways I hated all the cast in school days
Feb 17, 2012 9:41 PM

Dec 2009
! XD

cute but.... is he FUCKING SERIOUS!?
If so then thats "creepy" in a whole new level!
Feb 17, 2012 11:53 PM

Oct 2011
waalex11 said:
! XD

cute but.... is he FUCKING SERIOUS!?
If so then thats "creepy" in a whole new level!

I like your Btooom! Sig
Feb 17, 2012 11:57 PM

Jan 2012
Ushinawa_Cho said:
CallMeChip said:
Zatoichi said:

Lol!

Lmao @ Zatoichi

@ CallMeChip

Yep! My friend's uncle has one I think, lol

Damn XD

prismheart said:
CallMeChip said:

I would think that oppai mouse pads would be pretty comfortable.

I could see that but I wouldn't go that far haha.
Feb 18, 2012 12:06 AM

Jun 2009
Monad said:
AnnoKano said:
People in this thread: why are you so dumb?

He was obviously taking the piss.

one-more-time said:

This two got it. seriously most of this guys are just trolling guys like the op

I could easily just pull out a cake from the fridge and put it in-frond of my TV while having an anime picture of a girl showing on the screen and start singing happy birthday and suddenly people will go crazy.
It doesn't exactly need much of an effort to appear like you do a lot when you do so little.
One time i was reading an article about creepy otaku and it had a picture of a plate with pizza in-frond of the screen of an anime girl. Funny enough i was eating pizza while reading that and my wallpaper was an anime girl. So i thought: Wait a minute, if i just put my plate in-frond of my wallpaper screen i will suddenly be a creepy otaku? Wow! It doesn't take much does it?
It's so easy so they like doing it and take photos or make videos and have you going crazy about it.
The term waifu is kind of ridiculous to hear though. I laugh with people saying "my waifu" about 2D girls. She ain't real dude how the hell is she your waifu and when the hell did you supposedly marry her secretly from all her other fans? Lol.

All three of you are missing the point at large here. The video in question is just an example of "this 'waifu' business." Whether or not it's legit is irrelevant, because there are people who do this kind of thing seriously. This thread isn't about just this video, it's about the obsession in general. And if it isn't it should be [/elitism].

And while it is highly delusional and slightly disturbing to watch, I've no reason to really care. If he (or anyone else who does this) is content to do so, let sleeping dogs lie. If they're lucky they'll snap out of it someday. Well, that might not be so great once they realize how much of their time they've wasted worshiping unattainable idols...
Feb 18, 2012 12:32 AM
Aug 2010
OK, I just saw several videos from this guy.

Honestly, I DON'T think he was making the "waifu" video as a joke....but then again, I really can't tell.

Either way, I think the guy is NOT all about anime, he makes a lot of video about many different subjects, there's actually very few videos related to anime.

Side note....he's a black guy, kinda funny since I though it was a stereotypical white, nerdy guy.
Feb 18, 2012 12:50 AM

Jan 2012
Zoml3ie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbYXvSKjP98&feature=g-all-f&context=G26bcffaFAAAAAAAAAAA

loooool

i love /a/ for stuff like this. The christmas song was awesome too, and this years valentine turned out pretty big aswell
Feb 18, 2012 1:51 AM

Jan 2012
He is way too creepy...
Feb 18, 2012 3:25 AM

Jul 2010
AbstractCalamity said:
If they're lucky they'll snap out of it someday.
If worshiping some "waifu" makes them happy, wouldn't you say they are pretty lucky? I would like to have such an easy way to feel happy...
Feb 18, 2012 5:38 AM
Jul 2018
I have Sephiroth as my husbando, although he is not aware of this.
We even share a bed when it's time to sleep.

About this topic.. I don't know. Can't a guy share his bundle of joys to everyone? Although personally, um, I think it's.. Um. To put it in a nicer word. It's.. Um. So, let's skip with this part shall we?
Feb 18, 2012 5:44 AM

Oct 2009
Darklich528 said:
How do you do things to an amusement park ride? And more importantly, with all those other customers around, when?

I was thinking this too, she probably tried it once and got caught.

I heard a story of a woman who fell in love with a gate in her garden as a child and apparently grew up and started doing things with it. Her neighbors must have been freaked out.
Feb 18, 2012 6:23 AM

Jan 2012
Kuramii said:
Darklich528 said:

I was thinking this too, she probably tried it once and got caught.

I heard a story of a woman who fell in love with a gate in her garden as a child and apparently grew up and started doing things with it. Her neighbors must have been freaked out.

Awkward. Hopefully it wasn't a wooden fence, I'd image the splinters might be painful.
My apologies, children, for I am afraid I cannot save you all.
Feb 18, 2012 6:39 AM

Oct 2010
MadThad0890 (the video uploader) said:
U Jelly?

No I'm not Jelly. I actually think what you do is pretty darn hilarious.

But I'm still going to point my finger at you, labeling you as some crazy freak for expressing your fanboyisim love for a fictional character that doesn't even exist in this manner so that you'll feel ashamed even more, because doing so would make me feel proud as a normal person. Also, I think your singing voice is annoying.

U MAD? *trollface*
Feb 18, 2012 6:48 AM

Nov 2011
Lol that guy really obsess of her.
My Candies:
Bonus Candy:
Feb 18, 2012 7:38 AM

Jul 2010
well, if it was for me, he could do whatever he feels like...but i really dont think that this is healthy. I mean people will think hes weird, he might get isolated and stuff.
Feb 18, 2012 8:49 AM
Dec 2009
U jelly screwed it all.
Feb 18, 2012 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
Considering "waifu" by definition is a joke, then yes anyone who takes it seriously is taking it too far.
Feb 18, 2012 10:17 AM

Sep 2011
FatherAnderson said:
...........Fuck my country and the people in it. Seriously.

Pocketasces said:
americans are so dumb

Not all Americans are like this so don't group us together with this freak.
seriously please dont. i seriously question the sanity of people sometimes. like just why?

also out of all the characters in the world why pick her.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 18, 2012 10:29 AM

Aug 2009
Oh, I've seen this guy. Most people can assume that he's on /a/ from that "/sp/ sucks" at the beginning. And on /a/, this is incredibly tame. I'm actually disappointed that that's all he did. Especially since Valentine's Day just happened and most people who love their waifu enough sent in their pictures of how they celebrated.

This most certainly is not a joke. And I don't think that this "waifu business" is taking anything too far. If he wants to love a character from an anime, then let him. It's not hurting you in any way, as much as you like to claim it does.

And also, one other thing. Some people are saying that it brings a negative outlook on the anime community. The anime community has ALWAYS had negative judgment. And if it wasn't him, it would be those pedophiles that get caught with loli on their hard drive.

I don't have a waifu/husbando. But I actually respect the people that do. It takes a lot to be able to love something that isn't real. I know a guy that has had the same waifu for almost ten years. That's more than most marriages even last.

Tl;dr: Haters gonna hate. Potatoes gonna potate.
Feb 18, 2012 11:20 AM

Mar 2008
I feel sorry for him, that's more or less all I can say.
Imho it's creepy c_c
I do agree that everyone should have the freedom to "love" whoever they want (e.g. same sex), but it should be a *real* person and not someone from an anime/manga..
Feb 18, 2012 11:42 AM
Nov 2011
luia said:
I feel sorry for him, that's more or less all I can say.
Imho it's creepy c_c
I do agree that everyone should have the freedom to "love" whoever they want (e.g. same sex), but it should be a *real* person and not someone from an anime/manga..

Not that I am in the boat that I would love a 2d, but...why should it be a *real* person? Like someone else mentioned, some of these people care more about their waifu than a real husband cares about his real wife, so...? In this life, as long as it doesn't hurt others, most people agree that you need to have fun and be happy, if this is fun for him, and makes him happy, I don't see as how it should be a problem.

Feb 18, 2012 11:46 AM

Apr 2011
Gerentex said:
why should it be a *real* person?

Because of social norms.

Obviously.
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
Feb 18, 2012 12:08 PM

Mar 2008
Social norms?
I don't care about social norms, but it's my personal opinion.
I just can't understand how you could obsess so much over a fictional character to call it "love". Do these people never wish for physical intimacy? Or talk with their "waifus/husbandos"? Share their dreams, plan their future, go on a "date"/vacation/whatever... I dunno, just spend time with their beloved one?!
Feb 18, 2012 12:08 PM
Nov 2011
That is a ridiculous reason. Some time ago it was against social norms for colored people to drink from the same water fountains as white people. Some time ago it was against social norms for someone to even consider an inter-racial relationship. Until just a relatively short while ago, it was (and arguably still is) against social norms to consider a homosexual relationship.

While I am not comparing these situations with the waifu situation on scale or level, I am comparing them solely on principle. To be bound by social norms that restrict actions that have no consequence to any party or person that is not the person in question, is foolish and ridiculous in both concept and practice.

Feb 18, 2012 12:58 PM

Feb 2012
Hiro_52 said:
ichigo03 said:

However, I see nothing wrong here, yeah the guy is doing creepy otaku shit, but as long as he doesn't disturb anyone and keeps it to himself I really don't care.

He didn't keep it to himself though, he posted it on the internet for all to see. Then some poor bastard brought it here, now I see and I regret. That's why there is something wrong.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

In other news, look what I found when researching this phenomena:
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/043/914/1269187012895.png

And though I'd never be in the situation (doing superbly well with my current women), I can't call what these people are doing as "wrong" either. I'd give my own 2 cents on the matter but Gerentex pretty much covered the main point.
BloodcaliburFeb 18, 2012 1:03 PM
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Feb 18, 2012 4:08 PM

Feb 2011
Gerentex said:

Not that I am in the boat that I would love a 2d, but...why should it be a *real* person? Like someone else mentioned, some of these people care more about their waifu than a real husband cares about his real wife, so...? In this life, as long as it doesn't hurt others, most people agree that you need to have fun and be happy, if this is fun for him, and makes him happy, I don't see as how it should be a problem.

It's just the most immediate quote it's not only aimed at you.
Men are made to procreate, the feeling of love comes from that need to procreate, what he has for that character is not love, it's an image of love that applies to a real person in his mind, as in he envisions the character in real life with gestures and behavior resembling previous amorous encounters (if any) in his life. He's an idiot fooling himself, it does not hurt me in an immediate way nor in a remote way, but it does add up to the faggotry of the world, and it has an effect overall, but i don't care, he can do it, fine by me, but to go as far as saying you respect him for it? Do you people even know what respect is, i lol, he's a deranged individual, he's not going coocoo over coco puffs but he's not sane either, first round of real love is gonna throw that bitch out the window leaving a scent of reminiscent faggotry.
Closer.
Feb 18, 2012 4:27 PM
Nov 2011
ZaBici said:

It's just the most immediate quote it's not only aimed at you.
Men are made to procreate, the feeling of love comes from that need to procreate, what he has for that character is not love, it's an image of love that applies to a real person in his mind, as in he envisions the character in real life with gestures and behavior resembling previous amorous encounters (if any) in his life. He's an idiot fooling himself, it does not hurt me in an immediate way nor in a remote way, but it does add up to the faggotry of the world, and it has an effect overall, but i don't care, he can do it, fine by me, but to go as far as saying you respect him for it? Do you people even know what respect is, i lol, he's a deranged individual, he's not going coocoo over coco puffs but he's not sane either, first round of real love is gonna throw that bitch out the window leaving a scent of reminiscent faggotry.

No one is denying that it has an effect, but an effect on what? The level of 'faggotry' in the world does nothing for or against you, so as far as you *should* be concerned, it should be a non-issue for you. He is hardly an idiot, as his relationship with his waifu is FAR less destructive to him than I have seen in quite a large number of 'real' couples. The feeling of love that you describe is indeed a means to ensure procreation, but that is not necessarily the real feeling of love, at least, not for everyone. One male can love another male, even though they know they can not procreate. Love is far more complex than can be defined in a single definition. I love my mother, but I would never think of procreating with her. I love my brother, again, not something I would consider. What is the difference between an 'image of love', and 'love'?

Feb 18, 2012 5:09 PM

Feb 2012
@Gerentex

The sorts of love you describe -- with a member of the same sex, with your parents, with your siblings -- are all mutual. A "relationship" with a waifu, by definition, is not mutual. I agree that we shouldn't draw the line at procreation, but I also think that we should draw a line at mutuality.
Feb 18, 2012 6:27 PM

Feb 2012
Though I agree with mutuality being a necessary component, no one has argued yet how a situation like what that guy has can be so much more damaging than any normal situation. At the end of the day, it remains true that whatever makes someone happy is fine as long as no one else is getting hurt by it. Other than to make ourselves feel better about ourselves and look down on someone else's concept of happiness, this issue really has no point.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Feb 18, 2012 6:31 PM

Jun 2011
luia said:
Social norms?
I don't care about social norms, but it's my personal opinion.
I just can't understand how you could obsess so much over a fictional character to call it "love". Do these people never wish for physical intimacy? Or talk with their "waifus/husbandos"? Share their dreams, plan their future, go on a "date"/vacation/whatever... I dunno, just spend time with their beloved one?!

You don't care about social norms, yet everything you mentioned is based on social norms...
Feb 18, 2012 6:51 PM

Feb 2011
@Gerentex I was simply stating that it has an effect in the mass of causality, because some said it does not affect you, but really it was just a blind argument not really meant to drive my point; I never said it's an issue for me, and it isn't, i simply can't go by the fact that you can compare that with the true feeling of love, what he has is not love. It is far more destructive than a real "marriage/ couple" , it's a pit of false-security, an escape from a real challenge, and it applies in his every action, what he does builds up to his character, to his interaction with people. A real marriage is challenging, it does have bumps it can end really bad but by the end you can either end up with a happy well earned story, or with a new experience to shield you from further similar mistakes, what a real marriage does at it's worst is prepare you and harden you.
I will not even bother to start explaining the different types of love, because it should be obvious and as far as gays go, they still try to procreate they just can't, the primal instinct is there, so i don't see how does that stand as an argument.
Closer.
Feb 18, 2012 7:08 PM

Feb 2012
ZaBici said:
@Gerentex I was simply stating that it has an effect in the mass of causality, because some said it does not affect you, but really it was just a blind argument not really meant to drive my point; I never said it's an issue for me, and it isn't, i simply can't go by the fact that you can compare that with the true feeling of love, what he has is not love. It is far more destructive than a real "marriage/ couple" , it's a pit of false-security, an escape from a real challenge, and it applies in his every action, what he does builds up to his character, to his interaction with people. A real marriage is challenging, it does have bumps it can end really bad but by the end you can either end up with a happy well earned story, or with a new experience to shield you from further similar mistakes, what a real marriage does at it's worst is prepare you and harden you.
I will not even bother to start explaining the different types of love, because it should be obvious and as far as gays go, they still try to procreate they just can't, the primal instinct is there, so i don't see how does that stand as an argument.

What about the good amount of people who go through life remaining single for most of it and never really settle down or viewed relationships as something important to them in their life? How's that different, damage-wise?

Feb 18, 2012 7:42 PM
Aug 2011
I knew he was joking by when he said "U jelly?"
Serously this post is going too deep into love and shit.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.