Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2012 2:02 PM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, so incredibly sad. The original Dragon Ball was usually very light-hearted with alot of comedy, but it still manages to produce some heart breaking moments like this one without trying to hard like modern day shounen anime like naruto or bleach
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
May 31, 2012 6:56 AM
Nov 2011
Did Krillin actually die? Wow.
Aug 23, 2012 9:48 PM

Mar 2011
I'd be more sad about Kurinin dying, but it does set up the next arc if the next arc is going to be Goku retrieving the balls to bring Kurinin back to life.

May 14, 2013 8:52 AM

Feb 2013
Yeah that was really sad and unexpected poor Krillin it actually had me tearing up at the end. I'm looking forward to this next arc, Goku is gonna be pissed.
Nov 9, 2013 1:49 PM

Oct 2009
I wonder how Muten Roshi settled his debt with restaurant from episode 84?

brucescrews said:
I'd be more sad about Kurinin dying, but it does set up the next arc

Same here

brucescrews said:
if the next arc is going to be Goku retrieving the balls to bring Kurinin back to life.

I'd bet my balls that's what it's going to be about
Nov 12, 2013 5:28 PM

May 2012
That was just disappointing Goku lost just because of that car... and damn that ending sure was unexpected!
Dec 1, 2013 5:03 PM

Jun 2009
First order of business, this episode brings the end of the Tien Shinhan saga. Nice ending to the fight, was wondering how they were going to end it without making Goku look like a pushover. Tien, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. I knew about Krillin dying before going into Dragon Ball but I didn't expect the lead up scenes/scene of the crime to actually be that chilling. Wow.
Mar 12, 2014 7:26 PM

Jun 2009
Great end to the fight, and Tien joining the good guys. The real talk of the episode is Kuririn's death that came out of nowhere. Well, Goku clearly had a bad feeling with the look he gave his friend as he ran off, along with other things. And, so my most anticipated story arc begins. With the introduction of one of my fave DBZ characters.
Ston3_FreeN7Mar 12, 2014 8:59 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 12, 2014 8:48 PM

Jul 2007
insan3Spectre said:
Great end to the fight, and Tien joining the good guys. The real talk of the episode is Kuririn's eath that came out of nowhere. Well, Goku clearly had a bad feeling with the look he gave his friend as he ran off, along with other things. And, so my most anticipated story arc begins. With the introduction of one of my fave DBZ characters.

Bet you never in your wildest dream thought Tien was actually going to end the winner huh? lol Though that delivery truck was just poor luck.

Yeah if you thought this tournament was good, just wait till you see the final tournament in Dragonball, it makes this one look like children playing.

Yeah the next arc is by far my most favorite, it introduces many concepts in the DB universe and also you get to see goku really ascend to legendary status in which he eventually becomes the goku you know from DBZ.
ArtimesGamerMar 12, 2014 9:06 PM

Jan 2, 2015 11:37 PM

Feb 2014
WHAT?! No way... Kuririn... Nooo! 😭
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Feb 16, 2015 7:37 PM
Aug 2009
link9us said:
insan3Spectre said:
Great end to the fight, and Tien joining the good guys. The real talk of the episode is Kuririn's eath that came out of nowhere. Well, Goku clearly had a bad feeling with the look he gave his friend as he ran off, along with other things. And, so my most anticipated story arc begins. With the introduction of one of my fave DBZ characters.

Bet you never in your wildest dream thought Tien was actually going to end the winner huh? lol Though that delivery truck was just poor luck.

Yeah if you thought this tournament was good, just wait till you see the final tournament in Dragonball, it makes this one look like children playing.

Yeah the next arc is by far my most favorite, it introduces many concepts in the DB universe and also you get to see goku really ascend to legendary status in which he eventually becomes the goku you know from DBZ.

Ah dammit. Now I'm extremely hyped~
Jul 2, 2015 8:44 PM

Jul 2014
Shit just got REAL!!!!!
niggaJul 2, 2015 8:58 PM
Nov 9, 2015 6:07 AM

Apr 2014
No, Krillin died! After the great fight between Tenshinhan and Son Goku, they all went for a huge dinner except Krillin. Who would have thought that Son Goku loses his best friend now.

Btw, Tenshinhan won the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament.
Aug 27, 2016 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
damn when Krillin calling Goku's name in his moment of death really got me a bit teary...
hmm...I don't remember launch having any romance interest in Tien in the manga version.. =O
BornWithCHeeSeAug 27, 2016 4:09 PM
Oct 28, 2016 10:50 AM

Nov 2010
Oh, WHAT? Kuririn ... nooooooooo!!
Bring him Baaaaaaaaack. :(
Jan 4, 2017 12:45 PM

May 2014
Wow I didn't expect Krillin to be dead 0.0
Jan 11, 2017 1:52 AM
Mar 2015
Ugh and wow simultaneously.
Mar 10, 2017 11:46 PM

Jul 2010
That made me cry... Wow, the foreshadowing up to that moment was great -- Goku watching Krillin's back as he ran, his refusal to eat without him. How horrifying. Impactful without meaningless platitudes and lines of dialogue.
Apr 5, 2017 11:32 AM

Aug 2013
What a cliff hanger, like seriously.
Aug 7, 2017 12:22 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Soo goku did not win for bad luck and krilin died just ... like that? ooook o.o

Sep 21, 2017 12:59 PM

Jun 2016
Best tournament arc I've seen, and by far the best ending fight to a battle shounen arc I've seen. This was all around awesome, well almost. Manwolf was lame, even if we was funny he didn't deserve a spot in the top 8 and would of worked better in preliminaries. Panputto was good, but he deserved about half the screen time he had. I don't have any direct complaints but certain parts especially in the middle of the Ten fight also felt boring, can't place exactly why, maybe it felt too circular. But that's about all my complaints.

Ten is an awesome character who's character arc is reminiscent of both Toguro from Yuyu Hakusho, and the fire boy from Boku no Hero Acadamia, but for me he was much better than both of them combined. He felt believable and even likable, just as if he's a person who took the wrong path in life but is capable of realizing it and turning around. Not to forget how radical he is with how he fights, and his trash talk, and his sheer willpower. He felt really human comparative to the other two guys I mentioned. Chaozu was adorable, hilarious, and possibly still holds my favorite fight in the series so far with Kururin. The fights were almost all serious, although they had some good comedy in them, the volley ball bit felt like it didn't go over to well. This final fight also felt fair up until the end, as in no asspulls, well maybe the 4 arms was a bit silly but nothing Yuyu level at all. It was just an honest back and forth with two people who really wanted to win. Goku didn't even win the fight, that is really cool to me, I definitely expected him to. I guess that's also reminiscent with Boku no Hero in the sense that
, even if it's a little different in this context.

It was cool to see all the adaptations Goku made before the fight even began with how to deal with him with Zanzouken(?), and the sunglasses for two examples. I was also impressed because I was excited to see when they would deal with cheating to win, and we both saw this done in different ways, both in the Panputto fight and the Ten fight. Seriously, really overall impressed with this entire arc, even with some sloppy elements it stands on its own as an impressive tournament and a guide to how it should be done.

Lastly, Kururin's death made me laugh so hard. It was sad sure, but it came out of nowhere with an incredibly awkward scene before it, and it totally goes against the tone this anime normally keeps up. It felt so out of place being there I lost it.
Oct 14, 2017 6:52 AM

Jul 2008
Well that took a crazy left turn at the end.

But we all know he is revived.
Oct 21, 2017 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
damn, watery eyes QQ Kuririn

i think this ep would have been more emotional if i never saw dem db memes :(
Feb 27, 2019 9:20 PM
Dec 2009
since Goku's opponent passed out and Goku was still conscious, shouldn't Goku be the winner?
Mar 18, 2019 6:55 AM

Oct 2009
SerpentDeceiver said:
since Goku's opponent passed out and Goku was still conscious, shouldn't Goku be the winner?

Good point. Maybe it was difficult for the announcer to determine whether Tien was still conscious
Jan 8, 2020 7:57 AM

Jun 2017
When I was a kid, I already started watching DBZ. Krillin's death would have been shocking for me if I watched DB beforehand. :( Still! 'twas a spectacular duel between Goku and Tien. Goku actually surprised me with his strategic attacks. Wouldn't expect it coming from him because he's too simple-minded. In the end, his second Martial Arts Tournament was another loss only because he was not lucky enough.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Mar 5, 2020 6:51 AM
Jan 2020
finally we've ended the tournament and have begun my favorite arc in the series...
May 31, 2020 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
Firstly, about the conclusion of the fight, it fits, in its way. Goku had an abundance of good luck in the form of Master Roshi being of walking distance to the flexible weapon that is his tail. Without those accounts, Goku would have probably lost a bit earlier. To compensate for those strings of good fortune, coincidentally getting hit by a truck is quite the bad luck indeed. Goku is extremely strong, I have no doubt he would have won the duel if it wasn't for that interloping truck, but it makes sense he would lose due to misfortune.

That ending scene of Krillin's mysterious death was very tragic. His seemingly passing on felt heavy and dark, more so than most death scenes of current modern shows. It left this feeling of realistic natural sadness, for me at least. I am quite curious, just who did Krillin in? Goku is going to be extremely furious. I am looking forward to the next saga.

This arc was immensely enjoyable. I had fun with every moment of it. While the previous tournament was superior in its various characters like Nam, this tournament, on the other hand, more than made up for it with its intense fights and the usage of shocking techniques. It is one of my top five arcs for sure.

Jun 14, 2020 11:14 AM

Jan 2015
Damn, that was totally shocking. Poor Krillin.
Sep 15, 2020 11:11 AM
May 2019
Ugh, rules are rules I guess - albeit, I definitely would consider Goku the winner here. Perhaps, it is better that Tien wins this one. Especially, because as Roshi stated, it's his first step into the light side. Nonetheless, it was an honorable match and both did their absolute best.
Dec 29, 2020 11:20 AM
Jun 2017
This tournament was really good, definitely better than the first one, and I would even consider the last fight as the first "real fight" of Goku.
Jan 17, 2021 9:54 AM

Oct 2020
Gosh I can't believe I was right!!!

He was in the sky. Tien's strategy was great. I never thought he would use such destructive power not to harm but to destroy the stage so that he wins. This time his plan impressed me though it was too risky.

Goku surely wins. If you consider the fight, what Goku did even Tien cannot do. Unfortunately Goku's plan failed in the last moment thanks to that truck. Still he did the best thing anyone could imagine. Goku surely is gifted.

However Tien wins by his luck. It was good that he understood everything. Now he became a good guy. And I think Blonde Launch likes him, haha!!! Bad luck for Master Roushi!!!

Goku was unfortunate this time also. But this time it was too much. Even I am shocked on Krillian's death. When he was leaving I also had a feeling that he would be in trouble. Didn't knew it was the last time we are seeing him. The best episode ended with a worst nightmare which became real.

{Miss you Krillian}
Jan 17, 2021 9:58 AM

Oct 2020
Kowareta99 said:
Ugh, rules are rules I guess - albeit, I definitely would consider Goku the winner here. Perhaps, it is better that Tien wins this one. Especially, because as Roshi stated, it's his first step into the light side. Nonetheless, it was an honorable match and both did their absolute best.

I agree with you. Goku is definitely the winner here. But his bad luck didn't let him win. The only good thing is Goku will try to be more stronger because he can go beyond the limits.
Feb 26, 2021 8:56 PM

Nov 2015
yeah yeah we know, krillin dies again and again but they put so much dramatism in the scene :D that's great.

💢

Aug 5, 2022 11:42 PM

May 2019
Wow, can't believe how close this fight was! After Tien turned from the Crane Hermit's way and allowed Goku to take a few shots to even them up I gained a bunch of respect for him. Goku's use of the boston crab in the previous episode was awesome! Tien was literally lucky that he won after Goku got hit by a vehicle. Goku was in the finals two tournaments in a row, hopefully he wins the third time.

Regarding the last scene, it was very ominous how Goku kept staring at Krillin as he was running away to retrieve Goku's stuff, great foreshadowing, and you know it was serious when Goku refused to eat. I'm very curious who is powerful enough to kill Krillin as he is a very strong fighter. Looking forward to the next saga!
Sep 22, 2022 7:26 PM
Sep 2021
I loved it because a villain becomes good in the best way possible and the tragic death of krillin.
Nov 27, 2022 7:25 PM
Mar 2021
Even though Goku lost, it was a fantastic fight. Also Kuririn's death was shocking. I was not prepared for that
Jan 13, 2023 1:51 PM

Dec 2021
Phenomenal end to fantastic arc and the beginning to peak
Nov 21, 2023 7:54 PM
Mar 2018
What a rollercoaster of an episode. From a ridiculous end of the tournament to a shocking end to the arc; this episode really gets you pumped for what will come next in the series!
Feb 3, 6:39 AM
May 2019
krilini allah yanina aldi
Feb 12, 6:28 AM
May 2012
What an amazing final battle, though Goku lost again. The next tournament seems like it will be amazing. Very sad Kuririn died but he will be avenged.
Mar 6, 7:56 PM

Jun 2020
Even though Goku lost it was obvious he’s stronger because
1. Tien had outside help
2. It is very likely Tien was knocked out for more than 10 seconds in the air
3.Goku was going to hit the ground after Tien but only hit it first because of an unrelated stranger

I’m glad that the gang welcomed Tien with open arms. Also I know Krillin was going to die eventually, but didn’t expect it to happen like this. So it still managed to shock me lmao

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 13 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 26, 2008

41 by Kyla_The_Plant »»
Apr 17, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 41 Discussion

vizhmaster_vizhu - Apr 27, 2011

28 by JaminKT »»
Apr 17, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lPix - Dec 31, 2009

57 by berninhachan2 »»
Apr 14, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 153 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KitaTsuki - Oct 14, 2011

64 by b1ackyoshi »»
Apr 6, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 24 Discussion

vizhmaster_vizhu - Sep 27, 2010

35 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Apr 5, 3:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.