Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 13, 2012 9:49 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Insurance companies...

Not following the discussion there. I've not read the printed source material for this show, so I can't talk to that. What *I* got out of the raid was the following:

1) The officers of the Bentenmaru have picked out an easy prize for Marika's first official act as a pirate. Having paid attention to Misa's history lesson earlier, I assume it is a ship flagged by one of the other colonies that Sea of the Morning Star maintains a low level conflict with (carried over from the wars fought before the Galactic Empire took over), using the privateers as proxies to avoid causing to much trouble with the Galactic Empire authorities. Again, according to Misa's history lesson, the Galactic Empire tends to overlook such things as long as they don't get out of hand, since they don't want the expense of policing everybody.

2) Kane went ahead to get onto the target ship to act as a normal passenger, but with the plan that when Marika arrived he would challenge her to a duel. She would eventually "shoot" him to give the passengers the impression that death would be the fate of any passengers that resisted. Intimidation, pure and simple.

3) Kane seems to be thinking of himself as a lady's man (hinted at a couple of times so far, though in his defense he is single), and was flirting with those two girls. When they became distressed at the idea of being robbed, he off-handily mentioned that the cruise company's insurance would reimburse them for losses on the trip. Regardless, it fit in with his intended role of gallant hero who would try to save the day (all gallant heroes have to reassure the ladies - it's a rule).

4) the passengers reactions to the arrival of the pirates gave every indication they either though it would be a cool adventure, or it was something organized by the cruise company - seems reasonable if "everybody" assumes pirates are a thing of the past. Kane's "death" changed their reactions 180 degrees - you can see their mouths hitting the floor in the background as his body hits the floor.

5) The crew of the Bentenmaru takes in a small pile of cash, jewels and expensive accessories. Most likely not enough to cover expenses for the month, but something is better than nothing. Randoms would be messy so no hostages were taken. The ship itself would be difficult to fence, and it wasn't carrying any cargo worth taking, so the ship was let go along with the passengers.

Nothing more, nothing less. I did not get an impression that the pirates were in any deal with the cruise company, any insurance company, or otherwise. The execution certainly was flashy, but pirates historically were a flashy bunch. I really wish the show had clarified just exactly what the status of the target ship was, but they probably didn't feel that was necessary.
CratexFeb 13, 2012 9:54 AM
Feb 13, 2012 3:45 PM

Sep 2009
Dalek-baka said:
LordLagann said:
I'm gonna get thrown under the bus for this but I feel like Mouretsu Pirates is similarly doing to Pirates what Twilight did to Vampires. Just taking a warp perspective on a idea to please a specific audience type.

oh than we should start with XIX century literature :) as then our picture of pirate was developed... and all movies, books and series from then repeat same stories and fairy tales (like 80% of things we think they were doing)

BTW if someone wants to check how it was really happening there is story of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción - - few shots, good PR and no unnecessary problems to deal with (like wounded crew-members dying around)

and nice quote rounding things up

No idea what you just said but I understood your "spoiler".

Have you even seen Ep.6? There's just so many things wrong about their "pirating" they seem to have purposely included to please the PG-13 fans. I also am confused as to why "Legal Pirates" need to operate under jurisdiction if they are just going to rob other ships. That's just a poor business model.

At this point it just seems like a bunch of hypocrites playing Pirates. They carry about like there's there's no risk in robbery just because their protected by some words written on a piece of paper. I'm waiting for things to hit the fan and get real, none of this "space fairy tail, no one gets hurt, killing is immoral" shtick they have going on.
Feb 13, 2012 3:58 PM

Oct 2011
LordLagann said:

Have you even seen Ep.6?

Nope. Should I?

There's just so many things wrong about their "pirating" they seem to have purposely included to please the PG-13 fans. I also am confused as to why "Legal Pirates" need to operate under jurisdiction if they are just going to rob other ships. That's just a poor business model.

Than go check on what is the difference between pirate and privateer. And why most succesfull people in this job were working for one state or another, they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't profitable.

At this point it just seems like a bunch of hypocrites playing Pirates. They carry about like there's there's no risk in robbery just because their protected by some words written on a piece of paper. I'm waiting for things to hit the fan and get real, none of this "space fairy tail, no one gets hurt, killing is immoral" shtick they have going on.

Than it seems that what you want is that it would follow some fairy tales of bloody battles on seas - fine by me. And that whole training part, it indicated that they are quite serious about it.
Dalek-bakaFeb 13, 2012 4:09 PM
Feb 13, 2012 4:27 PM

Sep 2009

Nope. Should I?

Yeah you should...

Than go check on what is the difference between pirate and privateer. And why most succesfull people in this job were working for one state or another, they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't profitable.

There is no moral difference. They both steal, raid, and loot. Just because one has permission to doesn't mean their any different then the people who don't. As far as profiting goes there's just no sense if there are labels you must abide by in ships to loot from and ships you don't. Your basically slashing profits by limiting your market, which blows your "wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't profitable" bit out of the water.

Than it seems that what you want is that it would follow some sea fairy tales of bloody battles on seas - fine by me. And that whole training part, it indicated that they are quite serious about it.

I'm not talking about the training part, it's understandable that they start off with some small fish so the new and inexperienced captain would get the hang of things. It's how they did it, or how the direction of the entire scene went, that bothers me.

I mean seriously? There were no guards from the cruise line, no intimidating or malice intent from the pirate crew members, or the fact that it was staged makes me question the authenticity of this "practice run" when a real run would involve completely different variables [I.E actually hurting someone].

What I look forward to doesn't have to be bloody, just has to be real; has to be raw, unscripted, natural. Everything so far seems to coincide with the premise of the story but Ep.6 just made no sense, or at least they left about crucial details and masquerade everything to seem like your watching a PG-13 space version of Pirates from the 1700's.
Feb 13, 2012 4:55 PM
Jul 2010
So hilarious and over the top, I loved it!
Feb 13, 2012 4:56 PM

Oct 2011
LordLagann said:

There is no moral difference. They both steal, raid, and loot. Just because one has permission to doesn't mean their any different then the people who don't. As far as profiting goes there's just no sense if there are labels you must abide by in ships to loot from and ships you don't. Your basically slashing profits by limiting your market, which blows your "wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't profitable" bit out of the water.

With first part I agree there is no difference. They do the same thing.
About second... if you just rob everyone, quite quickly you may angry a lot of people who can send few well armed ships against you. In a short run it's more profitable but things like bounties put on you, lack of supply may be problematic.
On the other side you lose part of money, yes... but you may bothered by less oponents, go to some port for supplies or even if you're good enough get some reward.
And my argument is perfectly fine - since lots of people were doing this in history.

I mean seriously? There were no guards from the cruise line, no intimidating or malice intent from the pirate crew members, or the fact that it was staged makes me question the authenticity of this "practice run" when a real run would involve completely different variables [I.E actually hurting someone].

This I don't know - if it was staged than I might agree. But if it wasn't - killing someone is kind of good way to intimidate. What it was is up to everyones opinion.
Feb 13, 2012 5:26 PM

Sep 2009
With first part I agree there is no difference. They do the same thing.
About second... if you just rob everyone, quite quickly you may angry a lot of people who can send few well armed ships against you. In a short run it's more profitable but things like bounties put on you, lack of supply may be problematic.
On the other side you lose part of money, yes... but you may bothered by less oponents, go to some port for supplies or even if you're good enough get some reward.
And my argument is perfectly fine - since lots of people were doing this in history.

Your talking about two things that don't relate to each other.

A Pirate is FOR profit. Having bounties put on you and taking more risky endeavors is all apart of being a Pirate for the sake of loot.

A Privateer is anything BUT profit. They are take only what they are allowed to take and as much as they deem fit. Half of their job is to impose economical harassment on behalf of the government that they're employed under.

Your argument is not fine since you insisted that the crew is in it for profit, which clearly is wrong if they are true Privateer's and most likely have other aspirations as well.

It's reasonable since the war has ended that these "privateers" have lost their "duty" to the government and are merely parading around space playing pirates under the guise and protection of the privateer laws imposed hundreds of years ago.

This I don't know - if it was staged than I might agree. But if it wasn't - killing someone is kind of good way to intimidate. What it was is up to everyones opinion.

Things might clear up with the next episode as it might follow up on Ep.6. As of now it's just confusing as to what exactly they are doing and which side of the spectrum they belong to.
Feb 13, 2012 6:18 PM
Oct 2008
Best episode of the show, easily.
Feb 13, 2012 7:33 PM

Jul 2010
Aw, now there's non-centrifugal artificial gravity. I liked the illusion of moderately hard scifi.
Pants are subjective.
Feb 13, 2012 8:25 PM

Jan 2012
Because of this episode this show went from an 8 to a 10! I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! This show knows EXACTLY what it wants to be. It's so straight forward and mixes action and comedy in this odd but brilliant way. I LOVED Marika's first pirating. I was laughing so hard. This show just makes me smile. This is one of THE best anime's I've seen period. simply splendid!!!!
Feb 13, 2012 9:03 PM

Apr 2008
This episode really shows that Pirates has been one of the most consistent show’s this season, but it isn’t really a surprise as to why that’s the case. It’s evident with each episode the time the producers are taking to really prepare the series for when it does take off. And while they are doing a very solid job at developing the setting and Marika’s character, I do hope that some of the other crew member’s characters (specifically Chiaki) get the same treatment eventually. Chiaki in particular pikes my interest mainly because the show has introduced her in a way where one becomes naturally curious about her. The fact that she’s not a shy character, yet is voiced by Kana Hanazawa further adds to my curiosity.

Feb 13, 2012 9:27 PM

Nov 2009
I think this series will have been worth the 5 episode wait. It was frustrating, but it has set up a nice pace. This episode was great my only complaint being the unusual reaction of the passengers (even if it was explained).

I wonder how long this 'newb' arc will be.
Feb 13, 2012 9:36 PM
Oct 2008
The beach episode aversion in the opening scene was a stroke of absolute genius.
Feb 13, 2012 9:58 PM

Aug 2010
Great fucking episode. Finally we get some actual pirating.
Feb 14, 2012 1:48 AM

Oct 2010
Wasabi said:
This episode just made the all legendary space piracy a huge joke.
I agree with Wasabi in terms of Albator. I did find it offending towards that. I do hope it ups itself to some standards to Albator because that is #1 in Space Pirates animes.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 14, 2012 6:04 PM

May 2011
Lmfao that was hilarious, the lights shining on them, Marika walking elegantly, haha it was like a side attraction. Like Kane said, pirates are really rare at the time that they're in and actually getting robbed by one would be a once in a lifetime experience, especially when they don't lose nothing. So everyone thought of it as something fun, well until Kane got shot and faked his death lol.

This was a good way to introduce Marika into piracy, something easy and sort of like a practice run. I am sure there's gunna be some real fighting and etc later on, at least I hope. Marika's personality is just so awesome, and she sure looks good in that pirate outfit. I just love her, great mc. Anyway greatttttt episode, looking forward to more.
Feb 15, 2012 4:02 AM

Jun 2008
Dalek-baka said:
OrochiPL said:
Sure i know piracy isn't something that should be taken seriously in this show. And i'm not sure if i grasp everything that's going on, but is it me or the whole piracy's premise is so badly fucked up that it doesn't make sense?
How i undertand it by now is, pirates are oficially recognized by government that doesn't give a fuck about thier doings, but with a Letter or Marque the pirates aren't actually pirates yet they have to do some piracy within 50 days since receiving the letter. Then comes the thing with actual attack of pirate ships, people are happy they're getting robed by pirates and the ship they are on is going to cover their stolen valuables.

Seems like you just can't depend on logic in this one, let's just take it easy and enjoy whatever they do, i guess.

well basically they are not pirates but privateers - so all those state regulations make sense (like in did in past in reality), they can perform certain actions, some not but all is based on that documents made by government. That's why there is also part with all those documents.
and that scene of attack - for me it seems (if we need to apply logic here) as some kind of attraction that people can have during cruise, like clowns or trained animals - it's safe for passengers, as they won't loose life or money due to insurance, so they are happy to see such a show. Real life example would be hard to find... ok once I read about partisants in some Asian country (Nepal?) that were doing similar things to get money from tourists.
Of course all of above fits if we would like to take it 100% seriously :)

Well even if it's considered as some kind of attraction there is a flaw in this whole thing. What if someone doesn't want to give his valuables? Maybe a woman things her diamond ring can't be replaced because it was given to her by her dead husband or something just for example purposes. What will they do then? Use actual violence against simple people?
And why would any insurance company agree to such a thing? Insurance companies will certainly have a problem paying for such attractions and will demand that ether the government stops giving a license to those pirates acting freely or that it doesn't have to pay in case of pirate theft. And if the insurance has a clause that gets it out of that problem then things get complicated about people seeing this pirates as a fun time.
Also i don't get why is the government even giving this pirates license to do their stuff.

Anyway they are more like a theater group than pirates since doing pirating is actually nothing but a show.

Btw who let this guy escape from Gundam.

And that's a killer outfit that pirate lady had.
Feb 15, 2012 4:49 AM

Oct 2011
Monad said:

Well even if it's considered as some kind of attraction there is a flaw in this whole thing. What if someone doesn't want to give his valuables? Maybe a woman things her diamond ring can't be replaced because it was given to her by her dead husband or something just for example purposes. What will they do then? Use actual violence against simple people?
<cut>
Anyway they are more like a theater group than pirates since doing pirating is actually nothing but a show.

And why not violence? They are pirates after all. If other crew won't buy their show and surrender than probably they will start shooting at them. In this case it didn't happen but electronic warfare looks rather like preparation for such an event.
Why the state is doing it? Well maybe in course of some war or something it's a waste to send your shiny and expensive ship while you can simply send some pirates, that no one will care if they are gone. Just guessing (real life example can also help here).
Feb 15, 2012 5:04 AM

Jun 2008
Dalek-baka said:
Monad said:

<cut>

And why not violence? They are pirates after all. If other crew won't buy their show and surrender than probably they will start shooting at them. In this case it didn't happen but electronic warfare looks rather like preparation for such an event.
Why the state is doing it? Well maybe in course of some war or something it's a waste to send your shiny and expensive ship while you can simply send some pirates, that no one will care if they are gone. Just guessing (real life example can also help here).

Well you forget this supposed pirates can go around because they are allowed to. Wouldn't killing innocent people change the happy little show to something more tragic and make the government think of their status twice since it will give the government a really bad image?
Also this pirate guys are training Marika to be their captain. They must very well realized what kind of person she is. She is not the kind tat will kill simple innocent people that refused to give a ring or a wallet so that really means that they do not consider such a problem even arising which is kind of ridiculous.
As about the shiny new ship. I hardly think overpower-full governments care much about that staff ether. They get everything from taxing people so they don't give a shit. Politicians won't send their children but other peoples children and ships are build by the money of other people so they care not.
Feb 15, 2012 5:28 AM

Oct 2011
Monad said:

Well you forget this supposed pirates can go around because they are allowed to. Wouldn't killing innocent people change the happy little show to something more tragic and make the government think of their status twice since it will give the government a really bad image?

That's why probably they are making this show in the first place - to avoid that situation.

Also this pirate guys are training Marika to be their captain. They must very well realized what kind of person she is. She is not the kind tat will kill simple innocent people that refused to give a ring or a wallet so that really means that they do not consider such a problem even arising which is kind of ridiculous.

As above plus this target was probably the easiest one (if they will get that stuff back - there was something like this mentioned here) to deal with. It's rather unlikely that someone will start to shoot on a ship full of rich people. Plus it's a cruise not merchant ship so it's defences can't be to strong.

As about the shiny new ship. I hardly think overpower-full governments care much about that staff ether. They get everything from taxing people so they don't give a shit. Politicians won't send their children but other peoples children and ships are build by the money of other people so they care not.

I would agree with sending people (they probably don't care) but ships are a bit more expensive and time consuming to replace. So why even bother if someone else can do your job - and just in case you can say that you have nothing to do with it.
Feb 15, 2012 11:28 AM

Jul 2010
Nasty001 said:
Ok, so Marika's pirate captain training begins and she has her 1st hit, btw doesn't this have that "Star Trek" thing in it, were Marika is the captain, Chaki is Mr. Spock, Misa is Doc. McCoy and Kane is Mr. Zulu?

Them taking the Princess Apricot is like something simililar to "I M Weasel" were the people are even happy to be boraded by pirates.

Uh, that Sulu, not Zulu! The best character on the original series and movies! (Don't call me "Tiny"!) George Takei is still awesome today! His Facebook posts are fantastic! :)

As for this episode, it was great! Loved it! :)

For people that didn't understand this pirate raid, it was a training exercise. Something easy for Marika to get her feet wet and satisfy the terms of their Letter of Marque, but not something overly challenging. Reading some of the messages, it seems that some people didn't get that the sword fight was staged, but that doesn't mean that it was all for show. The people on the ship were not in on the joke, nor were the ship's crew. Why wouldn't they have security? Because Piracy is extremely rare and that would be a waste of money. Plus, once the pirate has taken over the life support systems, any real armed resistance would be stupid. The pirates could just turn off the O2 until you passed out.

In any case, it was very funny!
zensunniFeb 15, 2012 11:41 AM
Feb 15, 2012 3:17 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
zensunni said:
Plus, once the pirate has taken over the life support systems, any real armed resistance would be stupid. The pirates could just turn off the O2 until you passed out.

Someone who gets it :)
Feb 15, 2012 8:14 PM
Oct 2008
Also, that ship was most likely from the collection of planets that Sea of the Morning Star was at war with before the empire stepped in. In that case they aren't too worried about a bad image or an upset insurance company.
Feb 16, 2012 1:11 AM

Jul 2011
The way some things are being presented is starting to get me a bit. With the way stuff is being shown it's like Marika is becoming an expert at whatever she does after two minutes of training. Which is ridiculous, really. If it's a problem with the presentation or character herself (she's just that good at everything - gag me), though I don't know. Even if it was an act she seemed to be able to handle the sword a little too well, for example.

Really not getting the point of having sanctioned pirates around in a time of peace, either. It made sense when they were at war and wanted to weaken the enemy but why would the Government support it now? Seems like a pretty big hole in the plot to me but maybe I'm missing something.
Feb 16, 2012 2:22 AM
Feb 2012
Tanrim said:
The way some things are being presented is starting to get me a bit. With the way stuff is being shown it's like Marika is becoming an expert at whatever she does after two minutes of training.

120 hours logged
Feb 16, 2012 3:12 AM

Jul 2011
Yeah, that's nice but 120 hours isn't really any better.
Feb 16, 2012 3:29 AM
Feb 2012
So how many hours that will make it better than 2 minutes?
Feb 16, 2012 3:43 AM

Jul 2011
I don't know but more then the half-assed training that she did get. If you want a character to show skills that would take days, weeks, or even months to learn then maybe they should actually put in the work. Just a thought.

Of course it's not really something that is limited to this series, as a lot like to do it. Anime is littered with characters that are good at things for no real reason or become good much faster then they should be able to. Which character Marika is turning out to be is yet to be seen but neither is good.
TanrimFeb 16, 2012 3:47 AM
Feb 16, 2012 4:25 AM
Feb 2012
"Half assed"? You don't expect them to show every details now do you?
And from where did you get Marika is already good at strategy, navigating, electronic warfare, judo, and plamo? What was shown was her doing training. Not to forget, there is some added time after Chiaki arrived

Hey at least she is not the typical destined kid who got into gundam and came out alive after the first fight
Feb 16, 2012 5:35 AM

Jul 2011
adzlan said:
"Half assed"? You don't expect them to show every details now do you?
And from where did you get Marika is already good at strategy, navigating, electronic warfare, judo, and plamo? What was shown was her doing training. Not to forget, there is some added time after Chiaki arrived

Hey at least she is not the typical destined kid who got into gundam and came out alive after the first fight

Yes, half-assed. The main issue was with the time she actually spent training rather then what was just shown but, yeah, that is also an issue. More time showing would have given the illusion that she went through a proper amount of training, the actual passage of time would have given a solid backing to it. Say if she had spent several weeks training. Would have made things a lot easier to swallow. Also, no I didn't get that she's good at those things. I got that she just happens to be for no good reason. Which is one of the things I already mentioned in regards to other shows. There's really no reason she should be good at electronic warfare, for example the writers just made her like that despite the fact that she had no experience with it before hand. Navigating is different as she had plenty of practice at that already, I suppose.

You're right. She's just a entitled kid that's put in charge of an entire ship because daddy is supposedly dead. Much better.
Feb 16, 2012 6:50 AM
Feb 2012
講習120時間目か。 Koushuu 120 jikan me ka
"Training in its 120 hours, huh"

120 hours logged. That is equal to 5 days. If she did 8 hours per day, it will total 15 days. 2 weeks. Now if the anime shows all the training, this arc will stretch more than it should and people will complain

About the electronic warfare. Marika wasn't shown as good. The one who did the first Electronic Warfare was Chiaki, and during the second Lightning 11 attack were Chiaki and Lynn. What Marika proposed to do in her flowchart was what to take over (the Alcyone) and what to do with it. She's not the one to punch in the keyboard to take over the opponent's ship. Marika also included the contingency plan. That's why she received Electronic Warfare lecture from Coorie.

Again, all the classes she attended didn't mention she's already good in everything.

And of course I'm right. She is put in charge of a ship with proper training first :D
adzlanFeb 16, 2012 7:29 AM
Feb 16, 2012 7:30 AM

Jan 2011
A really nice episode, but I think next episode will be even better.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 16, 2012 9:44 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
adzlan said:
And of course I'm right. She is put in charge of a ship with proper training first :D

In particular, as far as I can tell, Marika isn't even actually 'in charge' yet. Misa has always been the one at the captain's chair, Misa and Kane are calling the shots, she's being forced to wear a big "trainee" sign on her back, and they gave her a script to follow for the raid. She hasn't even given a single independent command.

adzlan said:
Again, all the classes she attended didn't mention she's already good in everything.

I wonder how she did at building the model, however ;)
Feb 16, 2012 4:07 PM
Jan 2012
This 1000% ^^^^^^^^

d-(^_^)zzzzzzzzzz
Feb 17, 2012 12:26 PM
Oct 2008
Haha, everyone in the ship being happy that they got the honor to be the first pirated 'victims' of Marika XD

About the legalized robbery: maybe the pirates acts like a kind of tax-collectors? Those visited/raided by them have to hand over valuables, and a percentage of the collected treasure is handed over to the government... ?
AteniasFeb 17, 2012 12:32 PM
Feb 17, 2012 8:40 PM

Mar 2009
old pirates will puke rainbows when they see this episode!
Feb 18, 2012 2:33 PM
Oct 2010
I observe that nobody has really answered Monad's plainly worded and reasonable questions about the show. It this show supposed to be a rather cheerful adventure with some drama, or a dark tale of a skilled criminal (or is it that raiding civilian ships, stealing valuables - perhaps of great sentimental value, and potentially opening fire with intent to kill is all ok if you have a paper saying so)?

Dalek-baka said:
Monad said:

That's why probably they are making this show in the first place - to avoid that situation.

So you are claiming that in this show, there is no possibility that a plan may fail? This question is also directed towards Cratex's somewhat condescending "Finally, someone who gets it" post. Plans do fail, as the show spent two episodes making evident when the skilled crew of the Lightning 11 failed to peacefully defeat the Odette 2 and was forced to open fire, prompting an equally violent response. No possibility that some innocent person will flip out, try to resist, and be gunned down? How much are we supposed to suspend our disbelief?

And all that would be fine, if it was established that Marika was the sort of person who did not have qualms about becoming a potential killer, but the show has indicated the opposite. So, what is going on with the characterization here?
Feb 18, 2012 8:59 PM

Aug 2011
Awesome episode! I loved the gunshot part, and Chiaki's tsundere-ness.

I want to know who the dark-haired eyepatch lady is! She only had one line in this episode, but she looks interesting.
Feb 19, 2012 11:29 AM

Jun 2008
hentai_proxy said:
I observe that nobody has really answered Monad's plainly worded and reasonable questions about the show. It this show supposed to be a rather cheerful adventure with some drama, or a dark tale of a skilled criminal (or is it that raiding civilian ships, stealing valuables - perhaps of great sentimental value, and potentially opening fire with intent to kill is all ok if you have a paper saying so)?

Dalek-baka said:
Monad said:

So you are claiming that in this show, there is no possibility that a plan may fail? This question is also directed towards Cratex's somewhat condescending "Finally, someone who gets it" post. Plans do fail, as the show spent two episodes making evident when the skilled crew of the Lightning 11 failed to peacefully defeat the Odette 2 and was forced to open fire, prompting an equally violent response. No possibility that some innocent person will flip out, try to resist, and be gunned down? How much are we supposed to suspend our disbelief?

And all that would be fine, if it was established that Marika was the sort of person who did not have qualms about becoming a potential killer, but the show has indicated the opposite. So, what is going on with the characterization here?

Exactly. No matter how well you plan everything and how easy a mission you think might be you never know when you might fall in a person that might go nuts or simply dislike your actions. If one of the guest pulled a gun that had for self protection and started shooting, what then? Kill him? They could but how will Marika feel that in the end they killed a person that was not fighting with them and just got scared or simply didn't want his belongings taken. Marika doesn't seem like the person that likes the idea of killing not criminal kind of people.

Also what about the government and insurance companies? Even if Marika was a ruthless individual and her morals where not in the way of killing simple people why is the government giving this pirates license to even rob cruse-ships where something could go wrong and get innocent people killed? Certainly the license should have been something more logical like helping the government by stealing and capturing other unlicensed vessels or criminals and not give them a license that allows them to hurt licensed ships, simple civilians and the tourist industry.

And as i said before insurance companies agreeing to pay for the goods stolen when the government issues licenses to this pirates it's crazy. If i was the director of an insurance company i will demand that the government stop allowing this pirates from taking such actions or else my company will not compensate for goods stolen by this people that can act so freely with the blessings of the government.
MonadFeb 19, 2012 4:31 PM
Feb 19, 2012 4:14 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
I just watched episode 7.

I was wrong. (and I'm very disappointed)

I concede defeat, and apologize for anything I said.
CratexFeb 19, 2012 5:13 PM
Mar 2, 2012 1:43 PM

Aug 2011
Watching the orchestrated attack on the ship was lots of fun and the sword fight was dramatic.

Marika messing up on the broadcast mic was hilarious.
Mar 27, 2012 8:45 AM

Sep 2008
That Apricot Cruiser had an epic Warp sequence.

But those oldschool pirate hats are a bit silly.
entauri.deviantart.com

Jun 24, 2012 5:30 PM

May 2010
Marika's evil laugh is win.

Cratex said:

On the other hand, the original Star Trek was very much a political and moral/ethical beast, often used to highlight the creator's opinions on the political, social and moral issues of the early 1960s. Mouretsu Pirates has none of that (so far).

Am I the only one who was picking up heavy satire from this episode? It seemed to me like a pretty obvious commentary on how everything serious gets turned into a cheap spectacle these days, in addition to a slight mocking of that timeless political ill known as bureaucracy.
“Money can't buy dere”
Jul 6, 2012 7:40 PM

Jun 2009
Loved this episode. It took a bit of a break from the strategies and tactics of the previous episode, but was strong in it's own right as it added some more depth to Marika and I like how this series handles the idea of a "pirate". It seemed like the people, for the most part, actually found it a "privilege" to be "attacked" here and I like the showy feel the entire affair had. It felt really theatrical and it was a really imaginative sequence, I thought.

Excellent series so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 13, 2012 2:58 PM

Apr 2012
I want to say this is getting ridiculous, but I'll hold my judgement a little longer (probably until ep 26).
Jul 15, 2012 7:55 AM

Apr 2010
i was looking forward to this anime before it aired, but it's getting boring. they spend the entire anime in a spaceship and talk about stuff i don't care about. no actual action....grrrr it's so boring what a let down
"Do not consider yourself deprived because your dreams were not fulfilled; the truly deprived have never dreams."
-Marie von Ebner
Mar 2, 2013 4:04 PM

Oct 2011
Marika was hilarious during her first raid :') I don't really understand why they'd legalise piracy though, unless the government does take a cut. I'm hoping we see more planets and cities soon.
May 19, 2013 10:18 PM

Oct 2011
Ha Ha that was a glorious act!
I'm picking this series up again after a year, I shouldn't have stopped
Nov 9, 2013 12:02 AM

Jul 2008
Pirating just seems so......fake. At least in this show. There is no point to pirating in this world.

I'll keep watching but man this show was not what I expected.
Jan 2, 2014 4:00 PM

May 2012
Haha she's so adorable as a captain :D really nice development :D
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SymbolicLayer - Jan 7, 2012

162 by Beatnik »»
Feb 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Jun 30, 2012

91 by XXXXXXXXXIII »»
Dec 28, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 8 Discussion

prismheart - Feb 25, 2012

46 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 15, 2023 1:44 AM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Mar 24, 2012

56 by JJR1971 »»
Jul 3, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 24 Discussion

Beave - Jun 16, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.