Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Dragon Ball Episode 84 Discussion

Feb 10, 2012 9:55 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really enjoyed this episode. I laughed out loud when I saw Goku's tiger caveman toga.

Apr 21, 2013 9:44 PM

These next few episodes should be pretty good. I love it how Goku can tell everyone he swam there from halfway across the world with such humble innocence.

Nov 12, 2013 5:43 AM

Nice development, it's insane Goku managed to make it and lets see now who'll win this time!

Nov 29, 2013 4:14 PM

I think I'm really going to enjoy this saga. I loved the last tournament saga I think I'm going to love this one even more.

Mar 10, 2014 10:45 PM

Yeah, this is looking good.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Dec 29, 2014 10:51 PM

LOL, Goku killed the tigers!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste

Mar 20, 11:10 AM

Roshi's always in the toilet.

Jul 29, 3:55 PM

Gokus outfit was supreme xD
Looking forward for the matches
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Sep 7, 4:48 AM

Well here we go again.

Sep 16, 4:12 AM

Just a small thought, but when comparing the Tenkaichi tournament to other anime tournaments such as the Dark Tournament from Yuyu Hakusho, we can see how they play different roles in the narrative. When the Dark Tournament comes out of nowhere in the story in a manner that's central to the main characters, Tenkaichi is something that's static and exists in the world along with the main characters. Tenkaichi's rules stay the same every round and it gives the illusion that it's an everyday mans tournament. Dark Tournaments rules change around in an arbitrary way. My point is, Tenkaichi accomplishes its goal as a tournament the characters go to, it supports its character driven plot. If the anime was about a character who was not a fighter, it would still exist. It's our cast who brings themselves to it. Dark Tournament is the opposite, it exists because of our cast, in the narrative at least, and the cast is pulled to it by it, rather than being a character driven tournament, it's a plot driven tournament. Both have very different feels and roles because of this, and I personally prefer Dragon Ball's style of tournament immensely.
I mentioned this last tournament, and I hope it keeps up, but the last point is that the participants in Tenkaichi are, for the most part, depicted as people with ambitions, and motivations, who want to win the tournament for their own reasons. Dark Tournament had a lot of 1D evil villains, and fodder past the preliminaries to hype up the cast's opponents. Of course this works in a sense, in so far as it creates an intensity for the plot that couldn't be made otherwise. But in Tenkaichi it's done in a way that promotes the idea that this is a tournament, that human beings(and other sentient creatures) go to because they want to, not because they're evil or anything else. To say it again, this makes it a strong character driven narrative element. Hoping the fights are more serious this time around.