Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 23, 2016 3:47 PM

Jan 2016
Actually for a filler ending this was kinda good.

i'm gonna get into the Pros and Cons of this show

Pros:
1- Onizuka
2- Onizuka!
3- ONIZUKA!! (Seriously, if this guy wasn't an epic MC, i would've dropped the show LONG time ago!)
4- Comedy (Some of the funniest episodes/bits i've ever seen, Onizuka is a b0ss!)
5- Vice Principal/Cresta (Vice Principal is one of the most underrated side characters, in the history of side characters!)

Cons:
1- Some of the worst most annoying side characters, EVER! (98% of the side characters are horrible)
2- SERIOUSLY, ANNOYING SIDE CHARACTERS!!
3- All the girls are BITCHES! (Except for Kanzaki, even tho she was also a bitch at first but she then became a great character)
4- If you get bullied to death (Literally), don't even worry about it, the bullier is probably "in love" with you...
5- Filler Ending (Even tho it's kinda good, it's still a filler and you have to read the manga for the real ending)

Overall, Good show worth the watch, even tho the side characters ruined it, Onizuka saved it.
7/10
May 29, 2016 12:28 PM

May 2016
Nice to see how the principal stood up for his students. Overall the colleagues and students established a strong bond towards the end and it was typical for onizuka to show us his troll face at the end xD
Jul 8, 2016 6:06 PM

Feb 2015
7/10 overall a good series, though I did have problems with some of the filler episodes along with the rushed ending.

Didn't care all that much for many of the side characters either though I liked Vice Principal, Urumi and Kikuchi but there was far to many bitchy girls.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2016 12:39 AM

Oct 2015
onizuka left holy forest to teach in the US california junior high.Those punks are in for a rude awakening by that mischievous teacher and i am going to miss him and vice principal and his cresta *hilarious*
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 26, 2016 1:09 AM

Sep 2013
As of the day I'm posting this comment, 7 people have rated this episode a 1/5.....What the fuck is wrong with these 7 people???

5/5!!!!!!!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 6, 2016 2:10 AM
Aug 2015
"YOROSHIKU!!!!! " damn god... i finished this series within a week.. i don't read the manga but i've read shonan junai gumi.. its also a masterpiece (forget d ecchi things #cough) now.. where d hell can i find d full story of gto online manga?? any suggestions??
Oct 30, 2016 11:30 PM

Jan 2013
So GTO became my new favourite anime. This ending is really nah because I wanted Onizuka to date Fuyutsuki so badly... Anyway still 10/10 tho.
thatPinkSpiderMay 14, 2017 2:33 PM

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Nov 8, 2016 9:09 PM

May 2016
Can we talk about how amazing they presented the VP in front of the Board of Education? It really showed they understood his character and I'm so god damn impressed with how he was handled. He clearly took to heart his statement of becoming the ideal teacher self 10-20 years ago during the Okinawa arc (he took the sunflower story to heart and I'm so happy). The VP was given two choices by the board:

1) to betray his teachers/friends/colleagues in front of the board so he can save face and basically look good in front of them since he cares so much about his reputation (this happened throughout the whole series)

2) or go against them and provide the point of view that the whole point of their organizations is to help educate the public's children.

I seriously thought the VP was going to be a fucking bitch and save face by betraying the chairman and his colleagues. If they played it off as comedy, I would've been outraged honestly. That was until he started muttering to speak up in front of them, he was shaking and I didn't think he would have a change of heart but he clearly did.

He cares about the students. The juxtaposition between the Board of Education's opinions on the students and his opinions on the students when he was drunk was so similar. Just hearing those opinions being similar to his must've triggered the desire to change from the Okinawa arc.

Also, his speech. The whole squabble about the reputation of a school, the reputation of a person in front of the public, your own reputation in general which was prevalent in this show really shouldn't matter if it starts to hinder their jobs as teachers/educators. Their jobs are sacred because they shape the next generation of people, they change and incite student's minds about subjects. My professor in university talked about how important teaching was to him when somebody quoted about how he's shaping a generation. The same thing is being shown here and it's god damn awesome to see this here. I freaking clapped to VP in real life, I was so impressed. I feel like this was the main theme to take away from this show. The purpose of the education system is to take care of the students and help shape their potential to benefit society.

It's such a shame that the VP's point of view about caring about the students isn't reflected in today's education system here where I live. University costs so much and it really seems like they just care about themselves. Look at those huge tuition fees, those huge textbook prices, those huge classrooms. I know some other countries have free education, man I would love that. They know what's up and care about the students there. Now that's not to say ALL education institutions are bad and don't care, I know professors that are pretty great who understand. I'm talking about the administrations of these institutions which can be god damn scummy.

---------

Okay, I'll talk about that ending. It was obviously rushed but it left some things to the imagination. I imagine that Onizuka was able to get out of his self-incarceration because Miyabi, Saito-san (stabbed teacher), plus witnesses testified against the Board of Education and that Onizuka was trying to save Miyabi. Sooner or later, an investigation went into the board and they got dismissed or charged on corruption. I'm hopeful that happened. As a result of that whole ordeal, the news media published it everywhere and internationally got picked up. Onizuka is in the world's view and America saw Onizuka as a good teacher to recruit. So they offered him a job there which he accepted. Hell, he could just stay in America if he wants but the Chairman tells Fuyutski that he'll be back.

Onizuka didn't run away in this instance, he was freed and everything was happy at the end even though he's so far away from home in this instance. Japan really likes the USA for some reason (such as oogling over their women) and hold them in some high regard so I'm thinking he was rewarded for all of his efforts. Speaking of the USA, Trump might win as I'm writing this, bois, holy crap. Trump might become president. I was calling it. Damn.

-------------

Anyways, I think this anime was a masterpiece 10/10. I'm willing to overlook many of its flaws over the many pros it provided. This series engaged me so much that I'm falling behind in my studies now. It's been so long since I've been this enamored by an anime. Usually I can stop myself but this show was so great like Onizuka. While the storylines can be seen as typical, I think the execution of these storylines were done really well.

Many of the lessons and commentaries it had on the education system was a treat. It was also quite entertaining throughout its whole duration. I've never felt unsatisfied for an episode overall. I also think aside from the anime goofs, everybody was written well and realistic. Of course, we're talking about the Japanese society and all that jazz but I think I can see these people in real life. Now, Kanzaki might be an exception since she the way she was born might not happen irl but who knows.

I would go on and on about the lessons of the series and how I think it was awesome but I'll digress. Also I know the flaws about the show can deter them from others giving them a high rating like the repetitiveness, etc. which I can understand. Subjectively for me, this show was a masterpiece and I'm so glad to have watched the whole thing. Truly an anime classic.
FestivalsOfComfNov 8, 2016 9:16 PM
Nov 24, 2016 8:44 AM

Sep 2015
anything to continue the story? since i am dying for more ;-;

Feb 13, 2017 12:58 PM

Jul 2011
Onizuka, true teacher from the start and still going :D

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Mar 16, 2017 5:11 AM

Mar 2015
This was an incredible series that I will definitely miss now that it's over. The ending felt a tad inconclusive but one could say that that's just how GTO is.

10/10!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 22, 2017 4:55 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It had some problems like some characters being pretty fucking annoying and a couple of arcs being bad in the middle (which kinda made me stop watching it for a while)

But still, the overall experience was fun and im pretty sad that there nothing else because i was really starting to love this once again.

Maybe if i finally want to read some mangas i'll try read it since i hear that a lot has been cut and been fillers.

Anyway, solid 8/10.

STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 17, 2017 7:52 PM

Mar 2017
Really disappointing.. I've fineshed the show in 3-4 days, I loved it but the final was awful..
Jun 1, 2017 5:13 PM

Nov 2015
The first 20 episodes were a consistent blast, though this doesn't mean the rest are not as good as they are. The plot elements felt a bit significantly repetitive but they are still pretty enjoyable. The ending is clearly rushed but it's fairly acceptable, there's nothing left in Holy Forest Academy for him to take care of, everything in Class 4 is solved so we see him off to California Junior High School. unless you read the manga..

Loved it!!! 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2017 7:30 AM
Nov 2015
Man, one of the best slice of life and comedy I've ever seen. I always wonder why people said that the ending was rushed since it's not (if you want to see a rushed ending, I recommend to watch the finale of How I Met Your Mother).

9/10
Sep 17, 2017 9:27 PM

Jan 2010
good way to end the show. Onizuka is a great role model and goes straight to my favorite chars :D

epic show nevertheless...gonna give it an 8/10 although it feels like a 9 because of some episodes that were a bit blank, but most of it was epic. loved it!
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 8, 2017 3:24 AM

Dec 2013
I really liked the VP in this episode.

Fairly weak ending overall for me :/
Oct 8, 2017 5:56 PM
May 2017
The ending was a bit rushed, to say the least. (I might have to read the manga since there were a few unanswered questions, such as what happened to the yandere teacher Teshigawara?)

However, I like the ending where Onizuka goes to America. (I love those endings that are actually the beginning for a new adventure.)

In spite of the rather weak finale and a few boring filler episodes, this series gets a well-earned 9/10.
Nov 15, 2017 9:37 AM

Feb 2012
arimakenshin said:
How does this anime have a lower score than Code Geass... X(

To each his own.

Much like this one
Rethice said:
I gave it a 6/10 (Which believe it or not, means above average, my 10/10 spamming friends)

I got irritated at the logic some characters followed throughout the entire series, and couldn't help but agree that Onizuka didn't deserve to be a teacher.

Sure, he inspired a lot of students which is all well and good in that world, but I'd like to see his methods work even once in a real-life situation. Of course, I'm taking it too seriously for the comedy anime it was intended as, but that's because to me, the comedy was actually the most frustrating part of it.

So, I'm really redeeming it by saying that its inspirational and touching moments were good enough for me to give it a 6/10. As a comedy, it failed, but that's because good anime comedies are rare.

He can give GTO a 1/10 and I can give Code Geass and Steins;Gate a 1/10. No more questions. Because it's a matter of preference.
Dec 13, 2017 1:35 PM

Jan 2014
The ending for this amazing anime was kinda bad tbh, there was no real reason why Onizuka had to run away, everything would have been resolved with time, and the guy who stabbed himself would have cleared everything up

Despite the weak ending, this was an absolutely amazing anime, with one of the best male Main characters in history. It only took me 6 episodes for me to put Onizuka on my favorites list

I can't believe I was avoiding this show for the longest time, I always thought it seemed overrated for some reason

8/10 show, what a fucking blast that was !
Jan 29, 2018 8:26 AM

Aug 2014
Wizy said:
damnit now I'm seriously sad because I finished the series. I've heard that there's a possibility for a second season, god damnit I am willing to wait few years for that.

Teacher, BANZAI

10/10
im speakin from the future its 2018 currently and no s2

Jan 29, 2018 2:17 PM

Apr 2008
TheDiabolicEsper said:
Wizy said:
damnit now I'm seriously sad because I finished the series. I've heard that there's a possibility for a second season, god damnit I am willing to wait few years for that.

Teacher, BANZAI

10/10

It's 2018 and still waiting
Feb 27, 2018 4:58 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly.... I was not a big fan of this episode. The episode itself was not that bad. But the plot in it.... was terrible. It was too rushed imo. And Miyabi was the biggest bitch for the whole story, and then she just turns nice in the blink of an eye! And her reasoning was not even that good! Onizuka had actually saved her life several times before! And why the hell are you ending a god-like series that thrives on comedy... with THE FIRST ACTION ARC!?!?!

But I should just enjoy it for what it was. But it's sad that GTO ended on such a low note for me.

Overall.... Epsiode is a 6/10
Series is a : 8.7/10

I really enjoyed GTO nonetheless! Wonder how the manga ended it? Well I will be giving that a go as one point I hope!
Mar 2, 2018 4:15 AM
Nov 2016
It was a funny anime and entertaining but as a serious anime fan I have to deduct a lot points because simply the fact of the sloppy work of it can't go without actual judgement. The ending was rushed and awful, yes it's true I liked it a lot but tbh I don't care if the manga is better, we don't love animes because of the mangas but because we can see motion instead of white black pages. If there were only mangas in the world no one would read them, they do so because people are curious about what happens next. So stop praising manga books and get real, the GTO could have a way better ending and deserved more episodes. It seemed like the creators and producers only cared of going on with it and with it. People only care about releasing animes for money, indeed they do some splendid jobs on them but I can't forgive them for not putting some soul or effort make it perfect for themselves and the fans. So for that reason out of 10 I give it a 5 and out of 5 a 3. It's just a comedy anime with real life tag, nothing more nothing less, there are a bunch like it but the fact still remains, I could get the feeling on every episode that it had no soul. And the soul lies in the details that people want to see. Things we wanted to actually see and it was supposed to been showed: 1) Onizuka still teach in 3-4 class 2) Onizuka kiss Fuyutsuki and become couple 3) Too little episodes to cover everything 4) Uchiyamada Hiroshi accept Onizuka 5) Yoshikawa Noboru end up with Anko Uehara and some kissing would not hurt to satisfy the audience 6)Murai end up with Fuyumi. All in all many holes in the series which I'm not willing to cover in such halfhearted anime.
Mar 8, 2018 3:00 PM
Sep 2009
I wouldn't even say this was a rushed episode. After Okinawa, ending the series in two mere episodes makes no sense. If they had a couple more episodes things would've cleared out nicely, but this was forced drama for no particular good reason. Without any real buildup or proper closure.

I'm giving this anime 8/10, and this is with disregarding how crap the ending was. Not rushed, not open-ended, but purely crap. The show was very amusing for most of its run, if at times a bit repetitive. But to not capitalize on OnizukaxFuyutsuki was a grave mistake.

Fuyutsuki is really just proper waifu material. There I said it.
Mar 22, 2018 10:48 PM
The Madaora

Aug 2016
Loved this series, though it makes my brain tremble a little on how they chose to end it. I liked it's end quite a lot, however, I just can't take those series that leave everything so open ended. I have so many questions and so much I want to know and see, it's going to plague my thoughts. Such a golden show though, start to end.
Apr 25, 2018 5:42 AM

Oct 2012
Awww VP, after 42 episodes.. Now he's actually a decent person now xD

Ended pretty abruptly as I was expected from anime
I'm guessing manga have different ending?
"Signature removed"
May 17, 2018 10:17 AM
Nov 2012
Is it really that hard to look it up? Last two episodes are complete fillers that have nothing to do with manga. Just ignore them and move to around chapter 105 of manga. Nothing ends yet, hell, story is only halfway done. And Onizuka does not move anywhere.
May 18, 2018 6:30 AM

Oct 2016
First, ten episode went by so fast, then another encounter and that is another ten interesting episodes, then 15~ kind of slow episodes into quick downhill in last five episodes, I didn't expect that. A whole week passed by so quickly, still deciding whenever 9 or 10 to this anime. The ending could use at least 1-2 more episodes for the aftermath of this fiasco with the teacher.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Aug 19, 2018 7:30 AM
Sep 2016
Kinda unsatisfying ending, at least it was half-decent.

I was hoping to see more of fuyutsuki x onizuka romance but I guess you can't have everything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Sep 3, 2018 2:27 AM
Sep 2018
Legendary anime; a true masterpiece when it comes to high school dramady anime and I will give it a 10/10 not because it's perfect with no flaws but rather it's ambitions, artistic flair, and ahead-of-its-time quality led me to consider that score.

Now, regarding the final episode.....it was amazing except the last two minutes starting from the scene where Onizuka runs away from the cops. What the freak was that!?! Horribly untrue to the source material and Onizuka leaving his class to teach in California? Horrible and poorly executed conclusion. No wonder why anime fans often feel betrayed by the ending of some of their favourite anime.....just like how Class 3-4 felt betrayed by Mr.Saito haha!

All in all, glad to see MAL back again. I really can't wait to discuss with you all about this show. I feel like I'm so late to the game when it comes to anime forums but it's never too late to try! I've definitely missed out on this site's golden years but I have high hopes that I can change things around......like Onizuka haha! (If I keep using parallels with the anime in discussion, then I'm just gonna become a laughing stock in this forum :p )
Sep 3, 2018 2:28 AM
Sep 2018
Wizy said:
TheDiabolicEsper said:

It's 2018 and still waiting

Why do I feel so sad reading this? :'(
Oct 5, 2018 1:23 PM

Oct 2017
I really enjoyed the series overall but I can get behind everyone saying that the ending was rushed. As for Onizuka leaving behind Class 3-4 and teaching elsewhere shows how Onizuka is trying to help change the lives of as many students as possible. Him teaching elsewhere feels exactly like his character and I'm sure everyone he has helped an befriended in Class 3-4 know why he had to leave. Guess I need to start reading the manga next.
Oct 29, 2018 2:26 AM

Nov 2017
What a poor wasted ending for such a great and favourite show. I felt really stupid when i first saw this show last year. Really, really wasted potential for this masterpiece. This definatelly need second season and rewriting of the ending. Instead of this original ending they should've stop the show after the Okinawa Arc and come back 2-3 years later after ending the manga. This show deserve true conclusion for ffs!!!
Nov 16, 2018 8:46 PM
Mar 2018
Ok this'll probably be my last post here. If I had to rate the ending arc, it would be a 4/10. I feel like they switched too many themes without explanation, unless I'm missing something. I do rate anime on an enjoyment level and the likeliness of how much I'd recommend it to someone else, so I give it a 9/10. I def think many people who won't take the show too seriously should watch this show, or a few of its arcs, at least once.

I would say more but I'm sleepy. Off to read the manga
anoncologyNov 16, 2018 8:50 PM
Dec 13, 2018 5:48 PM

Nov 2013
Overall pretty decent. Episodes were pretty bland in the middle but picked up in the end. Ending felt rushed tho
Jan 9, 2019 1:01 PM

Jul 2014
I liked the show overall, but the last two episodes were way too rushed.

7/10
Jan 25, 2019 4:12 AM
Sep 2017
this was one hell of a ride for me.
I am gonna really miss that damn teacher.
Feb 14, 2019 3:39 PM
Apr 2016
Eh, 43 episodes and the ending felt really forced...we didn't get to see how he got out of lawsuit, etc... Great arc, but I feel like 2 episodes wasn't enough for the main arc of the story...
At some parts the anime overall was boring, & felt like fillers, some parts/episodes were crazy good though. Felt like a bunch of mini arcs were scattered all around the anime, which wasn't too great in my opinion, well, still most revolved around school/teaching, so I guess it's justified. Overall I feel like this anime is VERY overrated, it's good but definitely doesn't deserve top 50.
Apr 5, 2019 9:12 PM

Feb 2017
GTO has the highest number of characters that I dislike in a single show. But despite that it's still okay.
Jun 9, 2019 5:47 PM
Oct 2018
well if the ending like in manga, it would be better. And now i feel empty after finished GTO
Jun 11, 2019 8:58 PM

Dec 2014
kinda sad hat it ended just like that with Onizuka transferring schools but a great show then the less
Jun 26, 2019 9:38 AM

Mar 2014
So, where's my GTO in California spin-off series?
::End of Transmission::

Jul 31, 2019 2:25 AM

Oct 2016
burntlettuce said:
Ending really bugged me. I did not see the reason for him to run away like that, everything would've been taken care of in due time, he left all his students after finally there trust. Ending was definitely to rushed a few more episodes would've been good.

Other then the ending i thought this anime was a masterpiece, everything about it, so i will give it a 10 despite the ending.

He knows he is not suitable to be an actual social sciences teacher, and whatever he had to teach the students he had done so really well, with each student he solved their problems. It really was time for a goodbye. I agree it's sad. Can there be a new GTO anime btw ? Like it happened with tensai bakabon new and osomatsu san ?

Aug 8, 2019 9:27 AM

Jul 2016
This was a good one.
Aug 14, 2019 9:57 AM

Aug 2017
This episode is too rushed. It was very hard to get the plot.

Overall, the series was interesting. Anime was great back then.
Anime is love. Anime is life
Nov 16, 2019 4:53 AM

Jan 2013
Ok, I rewatched everything after a few years with my boyfriend and I still think GTO is a masterpiece. Different and surprising. He also likes it. 10/10

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Dec 18, 2019 6:10 AM

Nov 2011
Started watching this just before i took on a teaching job and done some 18 months later, i can't say i learnt anything about teaching from this cause most of the scenarios are unrealistic and unrelated to the profession, but definitely enjoyed watching the show in stages. Huge props to Onizuka's seiyuu though, definitely one of the best ever performances i've ever seen cause the entire show centered around that one character and it delivered wholly in that aspect. 7.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 13, 2020 9:54 PM

Sep 2018
That's it???!!! I thought the ending will be the graduation of class 3-4.. I'm dissapointed :(

The story is good, I like some of drama, most of the girls are annoying and stupid though.. I love Yoshikawa and Kiikuchi.. Onizuka's way of teaching is unique but I like it. Poor vice principal, I hate the joke about him though.. I feel pity on him.

7/10
Apr 25, 2020 1:40 PM

Aug 2018
An absolutely outstanding episode, its crazy how far Onizuka actually goes for his students. I’m very happy about great ending and that GTO ended on such a high note.

Of course after reading other opinions on this I just can’t post this without mentioning that the last episode shouldve been 40 minutes long just like the first one.

Now it seems that I’l have to read manga in order to see what wasn’t shown here.

This show is 9.3/10 for me, probably the strongest 9 i gave to any anime series so far
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

notestinet - Aug 17, 2008

175 by ibtissame »»
Apr 15, 7:53 AM

» What are the chances for a full remake?

xONLYINHUMANx - Apr 8

17 by F4i53 »»
Apr 15, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 42 Discussion

yakyuu-addict - Oct 30, 2008

48 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Apr 13, 1:52 AM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 35 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 28, 2008

76 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Apr 12, 6:17 PM

Poll: » Great Teacher Onizuka Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yakyuu-addict - Oct 28, 2008

70 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Apr 12, 10:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.