Forum Settings
Forums

Is it bad that I'm not familiar with "Mainstream" anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 2, 2012 10:29 AM

Jan 2012
Masakisu said:
Let's just face it guys: we're all casual faggots.

Probably not the words I would have chosen, personally.
My apologies, children, for I am afraid I cannot save you all.
Feb 2, 2012 11:30 AM

Dec 2007
Kuramii said:
mitch3315 said:
Who cares whether it's mainstream or not, the only thing that matters is if you enjoy it.

My thoughts exactly.
i second to that ! :D
[center]If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.
Feb 2, 2012 11:53 AM

Sep 2011
Your not missing much in my opinion. I myself prefer shorter Animes even though I watch some of the mainstream Animes on a daily basis. So if you enjoy what you are watching, don't worry about it! :)
Feb 2, 2012 5:07 PM

Dec 2011
Freakin hipster... :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2012 5:10 PM

Jan 2012
I'm waiting for a thread where everyone says that something isn't normal. Really, what kind of responses were you expecting from us?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2012 9:46 PM

Aug 2011
I think the definition of mainstream depends. Technically, nothing in anime is mainstream because anime isn't really a part of mainstream Western pop culture. On the other hand, many series that are considered popular for hardcore anime fans are unheard of in normal society or even just average anime fans.
Feb 2, 2012 10:56 PM
Jul 2011
YOU SICKEN ME.

Nah jokes. That's totally fine! A lot of mainstream anime is overhyped and not actually as good as the fans make it out to be. In fact, I hate most of the mainstream animes anyway.
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Feb 3, 2012 12:27 AM

May 2010
And yes, I knew my definition of "mainstream" would be challenged.

I'm talking about if I walk up to a random person on the street and ask them about anime. If they've watched some, it's Naruto or Pokemon or Bleach, etc. They will NOT have seen or even heard of Bakemonogatari or Clannad (trust me, I've asked these kinds of people).

Mainstream viewed from inside anime culture is far different than viewed from outside. It was the prior I was referring to.

lisnoire said:
c) over 20% of your list is actually in the top 100 most popular titles.

Titles on a hardcore anime fan website. Not on an average American website that happens to mention anime.

And Clannad IS a "hidden gem". Why? Because most people I know haven't watched it, yet it's just that awesome (I've played the VN as well).
Feb 3, 2012 12:44 AM

Sep 2010
If that's the case then there's no more "mainstream" anime being made other than Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh because anime no longer gets the type of exposure it used to get, even the super popular stuff among the in-crowd.

Even on this site the term mainstream is vague and many people will interpret it differently, usually just to make sure their favs are avant-garde classics and all their hated shows are mainstream.

Feb 3, 2012 12:47 AM

Feb 2008
I've seen a few of the older mainstream titles, like the first two seasons of Digimon, first season of Pokemon, and all of DB/DBZ. Still have yet to see more than one episode of Sailor Moon though, I need to find some subtitles so I'm not listening to the horrific dub.

Death Note is definitely quite mainstream now too, and I've read and watched that, albiet thankfully before it got immensely popular here. Once things tend to catch waves of the weeaboos and kiddies that shout random mispronounced Japanese, that's when I stop having interest in something. Not because it's mainstream, but because I hear it so much (working at a bookstore, being around this sort of environment every day) that it makes me cringe even thinking of them.

Outside of that though, it's really all relative of what's mainstream and what isn't. In the anime community, there's an awful lot of stuff I could count mainstream that I could never place in the same bucket outside of the anime community. *shrugs* It's all different. But the big shows that are airing right now? Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto? You're missing nothing. They're too long so the quality will inevitably be sparse.
Anime figure reviews:
Feb 3, 2012 1:01 AM

Sep 2010
They're too long so the quality will inevitably be sparse.

That's a big bonus for them. People that like to settle into a series for a long period of time can do so with high count anime like that. No matter what show it is, quality will fluctuate over time. Long running shows simply have more fluctuations for better and worse.

Feb 3, 2012 1:03 AM
Mar 2011
the only non maian stream anime in the top 1000 here is LOGH Fact
and any anime outisde sy top 600 give or take one or two each way are non mainstream

id say only ten percent of all anime thats onen here is somthing that was ever mainstream in Japan or the US
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 3, 2012 6:08 AM

Aug 2011
Beric said:
And Clannad IS a "hidden gem". Why? Because most people I know haven't watched it, yet it's just that awesome (I've played the VN as well).

Following this logic, anime isn't main stream to begin with.
Feb 3, 2012 6:14 AM

Dec 2011
Who cares if something is considered to be mainstream... Just watch what you like... How many times this has been said... Just look at my favourite characters and anime... All Key work.. I like them the most, and I re-watched them so many times... I don't care what someone thinks about it. Only problem is they always make me an emotional wreck, even though ending is supposed to be happy :D
Feb 3, 2012 8:32 AM

Oct 2010
TenkaseiRyo said:
and any anime outisde sy top 600 give or take one or two each way are non mainstream

id say only ten percent of all anime thats onen here is somthing that was ever mainstream in Japan or the US

Just tell me how the works of Makoto Shinkai (for example) can be considered to be mainstream. Unless you stretch the word to include anything that wasn't discovered in a buried box 20 years after its first airing.
Feb 3, 2012 8:35 AM

Nov 2011
Makoto Shinkai is one of the most well-known anime film directors.
Feb 3, 2012 8:35 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

Just tell me how the works of Makoto Shinkai (for example) can be considered to be mainstream. Unless you stretch the word to include anything that wasn't discovered in a buried box 20 years after its first airing.

im using both japan and the us as my base Shinkai is very well know in japan

or did your not read my thing you quoted
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 3, 2012 8:44 AM

Oct 2010
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

Yes, Shinkai is well-known but his works are (or at least were) still independent and done with few resources.

I just think your definition of "mainstream" is absurdly categorical and embracing too many levels of popularity and production traits.
Feb 3, 2012 8:48 AM

Feb 2009
Beric said:
And yes, I knew my definition of "mainstream" would be challenged.

I'm talking about if I walk up to a random person on the street and ask them about anime. If they've watched some, it's Naruto or Pokemon or Bleach, etc. They will NOT have seen or even heard of Bakemonogatari or Clannad (trust me, I've asked these kinds of people).

Mainstream viewed from inside anime culture is far different than viewed from outside. It was the prior I was referring to.

Yeah, but how often are you engaging non-anime fans in discussions about anime, though? Me, I generally only talk about this stuff to people in the know- i.e. other anime fans. And to the rest of us, Lucky Star and Haruhi Suzumiya are just as mainstream as Dragon Ball.

Feb 3, 2012 8:51 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

Yes, Shinkai is well-known but his works are (or at least were) still independent and done with few resources.

I just think your definition of "mainstream" is absurdly categorical and embracing too many levels of popularity and production traits.

absurdly categorical why
imo the most used deferntion of mainstream is absurdly categorical using the same quluiftres

Feb 3, 2012 9:07 AM

Oct 2010
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

absurdly categorical why
imo the most used deferntion of mainstream is absurdly categorical using the same quluiftres

Just that saying that everything but LoGH in the top1000 list is mainstream is an exaggeration. Hey, what about Kunio Kato's works to put another more clear example (and some other shorts, including, yeah, Makoto Shinkai's She and her cat)? And just because something ends up becoming wildly popular doesn't mean it was marketed for at first. Do you think you can call Satoshi Kon mainstream in the same way you do with Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu?

I mean, I agree Legends of Galactic Heroes is still obscure but even that has a highly growing number of fans claiming it as a cult masterpiece.
jal90Feb 3, 2012 9:11 AM
Feb 3, 2012 9:15 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

absurdly categorical why
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

absurdly categorical why

Just that saying that everything but LoGH in the top1000 list is mainstream is an exaggeration. Hey, what about Kunio Kato's works to put another more clear example (and some other shorts, including, yeah, Makoto Shinkai's She and her cat)? And just because something ends up becoming wildly popular doesn't mean it was marketed for at first. Do you think you can call Satoshi Kon mainstream in the same way you do with Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu?

I mean, I agree Legends of Galactic Heroes is still obscure but even that has a growing number of fans claiming it as a cult masterpiece. So by your definition it would be bordering mainstream.

i said top 600 not 1000 we have around 6500 anime in the db and i say 600 are mainstream i2 jumst under 10% i did round up with that but there you go yes all the top 600 even ones that id call underrated such as Ashita no joe among others are still mainstream[ i fail to remeber i use both the west an japan as my mseure] joe being an icon in japan ie mainstream pop culture icon not a just amine icon

Feb 3, 2012 9:15 AM

Aug 2011
Personally i haven't found a mainstream anime of today that i like, not that i have anything against it, i'm just surrounded by Naruto and One Piece/Bleach fans.
Feb 3, 2012 9:28 AM

Oct 2010
TenkaseiRyo said:
i said top 600 not 1000 we have around 6500 anime in the db and i say 600 are mainstream i2 jumst under 10% i did round up with that but there you go yes all the top 600 even ones that id call underrated such as Ashita no joe among others are still mainstream[ i fail to remeber i use both the west an japan as my mseure] joe being an icon in japan ie mainstream pop culture icon not a just amine icon

If I still think it's too forced to consider all the top 600 mainstream (there are still clear exceptions like Tsumiki no ie or She and her cat), I see your point.

And many anime shows below the top600 are mainstream. The word is not only a measure of popularity, but of the means to reach it. The fact many shows fail at getting to the big audience doesn't make them less mainstream.
Feb 3, 2012 9:39 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

If I still think it's too forced to consider all the top 600 mainstream (there are still clear exceptions like Tsumiki no ie or She and her cat), I see your point.

And many anime shows below the top600 are mainstream. The word is not only a measure of popularity, but of the means to reach it. The fact many shows fail at getting to the big audience doesn't make them less mainstream.

such as
its the fualt if th TV compomies not the viewer if an anime fails to reach a big audeance [ in both japan and the us ]

and sorry but movies are not a part of what im talikng about onlky tv anime that ARE IN the top 600 of the main list

and UHF anime are never never going to get above 3.9 per 15 min brakedown of rating

Feb 3, 2012 9:49 AM

Oct 2010
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

such as
its the fualt if th TV compomies not the viewer if an anime fails to reach a big audeance [ in both japan and the us ]

and sorry but movies are not a part of what im talikng about onlky tv anime that ARE IN the top 600 of the main list

and UHF anime are never never going to get above 3.9 per 15 min brakedown of rating

Hey, if you mean things you didn't say just tell me clearly before and we won't discuss at all, ok? Of course out of time remarks are a much better resource than just saying "well, that was probably exaggerated".
Feb 3, 2012 9:52 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

such as

Hey, if you mean things you didn't say just tell me clearly before and we won't discuss at all, ok? Of course out of time remarks are a much better resource than just saying "well, that was probably exaggerated".

movies will always be a diffeent thing to TV anime as you should know

give me a 5 tv anime that are top 600 that ou dont think should be called mainstream and i may be able to rebut

Feb 3, 2012 10:07 AM

Oct 2010
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:
jal90 said:
TenkaseiRyo said:

such as

movies will always be a diffeent thing to TV anime as you should know

give me a 5 tv anime that are top 600 that ou dont think should be called mainstream and i may be able to rebut

You were referring to the top600 anime list and then corrected to "only TV" just to fit my criticism. Don't beat the freaking dead horse, ok? Your point is given. Stop it. Now.
Feb 3, 2012 12:14 PM
Nov 2010
akutasame94 said:
Who cares if something is considered to be mainstream... Just watch what you like...

This, and don't put down others' anime preferences because they're (mostly) also watching what they like...

As for knowing some things about the anime, you will know about things you watch(or have tried out, at least)...:)
Feb 3, 2012 12:21 PM

Jan 2011
When I started watching anime about 3 years ago I had never watched any of the mainstream animes. And sometimes people just don't like that kind of show.

ALL of my friends, although they don't watch a whole lot of anime, had seen DBZ as a kid, whereas I had never seen it as a kid or even knew what it was until a few years ago.

First few shows I watched weren't mainstream, but were popular, such as Death Note, FMP, FMA and others like that.

First mainstream one I got into was Bleach, then Naruto, Fairy Tail, One Piece etc, and I just recently started watching DBZ.
I personally love the mainstream shounen shows.

A lot of people don't like to go through so many episodes as well XD considering all of the ones mentioned are in the hundreds.

If you want to feel more "in the loop" or whatever with your friends and are somewhat interested in the stories of the mainstream shows, just read the mangas, it goes much faster and is usually better than the show (also it doesn't have fillers).
Feb 3, 2012 12:25 PM

Jan 2011
bebe14 said:
I'm not familiar with mainstream anime either. I watched the first season of Pokemon out of nostalgia and I sometimes rewatch DBZ with my brother for the same reasons. As for Bleach, Naruto or One Piece, I'm haven't seen over 7 episodes of either and to be honest, I'm not that interested. OKAY I'm gonna rephrase this, FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD, they are all extremely repetitive and full of fillers.

I don't think you're missing out at all.

You're basing this off of 7 episodes?
Yes, Bleach has a few filler arcs that generally take up 1 season, Naruto doesn't do as many filler arcs as it does just random filler episodes, which are pretty boring most of the time.
One Piece? No, actually, it doesn't have that many fillers. I'd like to think of it as "filling" episodes. They extend the arcs and add some extra stuff to make it longer without dragging it out to the point of annoyance. And even when there are fillers, a lot of times they're really good! G8 arc was freaking awesome, I didn't even realize it was a filler because it connected to the plot nicely.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 4 hours ago

13 by Horizon248 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Yesterday

38 by Acctra »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 9 hours ago

12 by MasterTasuke »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

129 by EXCLMaker »»
16 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

90 by FFandMMfan »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.