Forum Settings
Forums
Jan 30, 2012 11:49 PM

Sigh... I don't necessarily hate tsundere's (although truth be told I have yet to find one above mediocre). I hate characters who have no traits aside from being a tsundere.

Take for example, Haruhi, a character who is generally considered a tsundere. Despite having that slightly annoying pushy stereotype about her, shes still a decent character because we don't JUST focus on her romantic escapades, and instead see her enjoying herself in other means and even growing up a bit over the course of the first season.

Compare that to Hina (a.k.a the worst character ever created in fiction) who does jack all aside from drooling over hayate and then whacking him whenever something perverted comes up. A character who has no other purpose aside from making the strange twisted otaku culture go "d'awww shes so cute".

Anyways, the point is, personally I find that trait of tsunderes pretty annoying, but thats just it... its one trait. As long as they do a decent job expanding other fundamental aspects of a character, I don't care all that much. I just hate it when a character thinks it can get a free fan service ride because its got the tsundere label stuck on it.

Jan 31, 2012 1:21 AM

I happen to like a few tsundere characters but not because they're tsundere.

Jan 31, 2012 2:01 AM

I hate all of them except kurisu.
Modified by Vanisher, Jan 31, 2012 2:05 AM

Jan 31, 2012 2:05 AM

OriginANIME said:
I. Hate. You.

*snuggles* :)

Jan 31, 2012 2:14 AM

people love Tsundere because they know deep down, there's a very feminine, bashful and lovely girl within the facade she puts up.

Tsundere to many are like a wrapped candy.

People enjoy and are willing to put up with the trouble of opening the wrapper, because they know there's a sweet, sweet candy inside.
Modified by AirStyles, Jan 31, 2012 2:18 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 31, 2012 5:21 AM

I don't hate or love Tsundere's, they can be good or bad depending on other factors about the anime and the character. But when Tsundere's are done well, they are awesomeee!!!!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika

Jan 31, 2012 5:33 AM

No one likes them, except for pathethic men and idiotic women. Oh wait...

Jan 31, 2012 7:00 AM

I don't mind them that much, as long as it's done well and is actually funny. In fact, I'm mostly annoyed at the guy for not nutting up.

Your typical Tsundere don't exist in real life because physical assault is illegal.
My apologies, children, for I am afraid I cannot save you all.

Jan 31, 2012 7:45 AM

well IT depends on how well the character/demeanor of the tsundere was created...
i recently finished kamisama no memochou and found out that Alice Shionji was one of those respectable ones :)

Jan 31, 2012 6:26 PM
maybe you hate yandere? tsundere is just the cold part. and what's wrong with that? everyone should suck up to the protag?

Jan 31, 2012 6:34 PM

mangoseller said:
maybe you hate yandere? tsundere is just the cold part. and what's wrong with that? everyone should suck up to the protag?

tsun tsun is the cold part..

dere dere is the lovey dovey part

tsundere has to be both cold and loving.. like how peronas relationship with zoro will be in the future <3

Jan 31, 2012 7:00 PM

*rant mode on*

i have nothing but contempt towards these type of characters. when they're not being overly annoying and bratty, they're being sadistic and abusive while being annoying and bratty. the only time i ever find them tolerable is when there's more to their character, a bit of depth shall i say. other than that, tsunderes just aggravate me to high hell, especially when they're just there for otaku to jack off to and not even bothering to develop them beyond that one trait they constantly run on.

*rant mode off*
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta

Jan 31, 2012 7:08 PM

Majority of tsunderes are good in my opinion. The only ones I don't like are the ones that are abusive. Pretty much just Louise and Taiga.

Jan 31, 2012 7:59 PM

I generally am a fan of tsunderes, as one may be able to tell from a few of my favorite characters. But some of them I just can't stand because they're a bit too bitchy. Louise from Zero no Tsukaima is one example. I don't know why; her character archetype is one I would assume I would be fond of. But I usually just can't stand her.
Modified by JasperKazai, Jan 31, 2012 8:25 PM

Feb 1, 2012 1:48 AM

The girl from MM came to mind when i saw this thread (forgot her name) that anime...I couldn't watch it because of the tsundere-ness.

Feb 1, 2012 3:48 AM
Kurisu isn't a tsundere. If she is cold in the beginning, it's because Okabe acts like a jerk. He has his reasons, but if you watch the first couple of episodes from her point of view, you will see she is surprisingly patient with a nutjob that prods her and babbles something about seeing her die, then drags her to a dinky apartment turned lab to show off his useless inventions and expound his ridiculous theories.

Speaking of theories, I have one. For me, tsundere is wish fulfillment. Your seventy-thousand-yen-for-two-episodes otaku would rather believe that the reason why females are cold with him is because they are hiding their insecurities and waiting for a gentle guy to "fix" them, and not because they have zero interest in beta males who decorate their room with Gundam models.

Feb 3, 2012 1:03 AM

By tsundere do you also mean kuudere and dandere as well, or just tsundere? I think the whole "tsundere" character type is too complex to completely write off one way or the other. I really like some, but others I am just like wtf, really? you are an idiot.

Feb 3, 2012 5:17 AM

I don't even want to comment on this topic anyway, baka.

Oh look, the depths of my thoughts about tsunderes summed up in a sentence. Cool.
As always, today is the most enjoyable day.

Feb 3, 2012 5:23 AM

Ragna92 said:
Majority of tsunderes are good in my opinion. The only ones I don't like are the ones that are abusive. Pretty much just Louise and Taiga.

To be honest I dont view Taiga as that abusive, verbally yes but certainly not physically. You can see within a handful of episodes that the majority of violent reactions to anything pretty much disappear. Using Taiga as a bad example of a Tsundere is silly as I think she is the best developed of the character type as there is true evolution over the whole series. Though if you think that, you clearly never gave Toradora a chance.

Louise on the other hand, I cant defend, nor do I want to, I think she personifies everything that is bad about the character type and doesnt show 1/4 of the progression Taiga makes and she has had 3 now 4 series to do so.

"It's not like I tried to defend them because I care about them or anything, I just felt like it!"

Anywho, people can feel free to disagree with me on that but I dont think it's fair when all characters of a certain type are bundled together like that. I call character racism XD;

Jun 20, 2012 7:02 PM
Oh, don't worry, pal! I've got you covered! As you can tell, there is not enough paper to write all the reasons why Tsunderes are beyond one of the worst, overrused ways to build characters, but I'll try. Keep in mind, I don't mind some tsunderes, but I mind an awful lot of them. Most of the tsunderes are flat out rude, aggressive, snobby, arrogant, unlikable, and the worst part, overrated. Not only are other characters in the story act like complete wusses within interaction of the tsundere, but so does the anime fanbase. To myself, if I was in any situation with the tsundere involved being an invariable bitch and belittling anyone around her, I would have the instant leg muscle to kick her sorry ass and declare a physical challenge upon her... IF she happens to apply her snobbiness to me. In some exaggerated cases, I'd even have to anesthetize her or even take her life from her. I'm sorry, but this is how I feel among many tsundere stereotypes.

Oh yes, I forgot to add fitting examples! Here they are that best fit this message:
Asuka Langely Soryu, Haruhi Suzumiya (though actually I am getting a bit used to her), Akira Kogami

Jun 20, 2012 7:12 PM

I have to agree with the OP. Girls with the cool and distant personalities are fine, but girls who get aggressive for no reason irritate the hell out of me, tsundere or not.
Tsunderes in general though annoy me. I much prefer a yandere or the emotionless type. I can't think of a tsundere that I liked besides Kagome, who I didn't even know was a tsundere until about a week ago (the "type b" tsundere).

Jun 20, 2012 7:33 PM

Usually don't care for this type and if I ever do, it's usually their looks.

Rarely do any of them appeal to me in a harem-like series where there is always the "other one" I prefer. Not to say that they're bad in any way though. They're usually my 2nd or 3rd choice, if that helps ^^.

Riptos said:
Using Taiga as a bad example of a Tsundere is silly as I think she is the best developed of the character type as there is true evolution over the whole series. Though if you think that, you clearly never gave Toradora a chance.

I'll also jump on to the Taiga Defence Brigade. She's one of the only tsundere characters that I felt was well done and truly adored. "Baka-Chi!" ^^

Jun 20, 2012 10:35 PM

Not a big fan

Jun 20, 2012 11:22 PM

Agreeing with everything good about Taiga. Sure she truly fits tsundere cliche, but that doesn't take away from her personality. The way that she is a tsundere is actually realistic and justified, but even then it's not like she goes hitting Ryuuji over any miniscule problem every 5 seconds. I haven't watched Zero no Tsukaima, but I've heard so many bad things about Louise it's not even funny. The only reason people focus on Taiga at all is because of the overpopulation and notoriety of the tsundere archetype and the fact that she is one.

In all honesty about actual tsunderes in general, though, I don't really have an opinion. They can be good or bad, it just depends on the severity and frequency of whatever bad habits they have. As usual, it just relies on the individual. So, ultimately, just as any other character, it depends on their development, as well as their personality (different types), so just what makes other good characters good characters. There will always be character archetypes, but it's about how they're dealt with that determines their worth.

Jun 20, 2012 11:28 PM

Oh my god finally someone who agrees with me! Well also someone who does. I just don't like mean, cold girls period! Yeah I can't stand when they beat up the guy and get mad at him for no reason but like that girl in the anime Myself, Yourself.

Or that girl in the anime True Tears I think it was.

Like just open your mouth and freaking talk! These guys ain't mind readers!

Jun 20, 2012 11:35 PM

You can see my signature xD I even created a group...

I HATE TSUNDERE WITH ALL MY HEART. Every time they cry, they shout, they hit with no reason, they get into jealousy, they ignore the MC, they act childish...I usually drop series basing myself in how important is the tsundere character on the story: Shakugan No Shana (great story, fucking rie tsundere), Zero no Tsukaima (FOR GOD's Sake:

Can't Stand Toradora, in fact anything of that seiyu, just FM:A.
On every Love triangle I always want the tsundere to not to be chosen, like in FMP...

I could speak about it like three hours because I really hate Tsunderes.

Jun 20, 2012 11:36 PM

I don't mind them in anime, they usually have a shy side that I usually can like about them.

If I ever meet a girl in real life that acts like a Tsundere though... Yeah, it would take a hell of a lot convincing for me to like the girl.

Jun 20, 2012 11:38 PM

I'm very "meh" about this. It varies series-to-series with me. Some I like, some I hate. I'm not gonna pick sides in anime, but IRL I would hate being around an actual girl like that.
I don't accept random friend requests, but feel free to PM me if you want to talk about something i've posted or talk about some anime/manga that i've seen.

Jun 21, 2012 8:05 AM

Well I love all types of tsunderes in anime. But then again I'm also a masochist who likes to be a door mat for any girl merciful enough to step on me!

They're actually plenty of tsundere type girls in real life. Most of the time they're just labeled 'bitches' but guys like me appreciate the hell out of them and wouldn't ever use such a word.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 21, 2012 8:39 AM

So far, Kurisu is the only good tsundere that I have encountered.

I can tolerate a girl acting cold when she has a good reason, but as soon as she starts using violence, my patience has ended...

Jun 21, 2012 9:52 AM

saikano75 said:

Or that girl in the anime True Tears I think it was.

Hiromi Yuasa is a tsundere now? The Hell are you people smoking? She's closer to Yamato Nadeshiko if anything.

Jun 21, 2012 10:37 AM

i dont really like them but i dont mind them.

Jun 22, 2012 5:56 AM

Glub said:
I like them. I think that is cuz there arent tsundere girls in real life so they become interesting to watch.

Because All The *Mean* Girls Are "Actually" Just In *Love* With Me. .... "Riiiiight"

Jun 22, 2012 6:42 AM

Learn how to tame a tsundere ^^

Jun 22, 2012 8:32 AM

Speaking in absolutes is a sign of an unrefined mind. That being said, I find most tsunderes hilarious. Yet on the other hand, I found Taiga from Toradora to be an insufferable, terrible character.

Come to me if you need some fucking common sense.

Jun 22, 2012 9:52 AM

Tsundere Girls are pretentious and boring.

Jun 22, 2012 10:15 AM

Tsunderes like Makise Kurisu are best imo.

Jun 22, 2012 10:27 AM

ITT:Badly written tsunderes are bad.

What a revelation! Stop the press! The discovery of out lifetimes is here!

Jun 22, 2012 10:38 AM
IDex said:
ITT:Badly written tsunderes are bad.

What a revelation! Stop the press! The discovery of out lifetimes is here!

I just heard that good tsunderes were good, from a reliable source too.

Nothing makes sense anymore. What has this world come to?

Jun 22, 2012 11:53 AM

Yvese said:
Tsunderes like Makise Kurisu are best imo.

^ What this guy said. Those loli tsunderes are kinda annoying sometimes.

Jun 22, 2012 12:14 PM

There are three kinds of Tsundere.

1. Ones that are tsun-tsun at the begining, but after some time they start to act nicely and cute (with almost stopping tsun-tsun!), so you can forgive them for being so rude before. Look - Taiga from Toradora! and basically every little TsundeRie (at least when she has a boyfriend at the end), Kyou from Clannad.
2. Ones that are Tsundere, but often in comedic way, so you can forgive them. Look - Kagami from Lucky Star, Lina from Slayers.
3. Ones that are tsun-tsun ALL THE WAY, ALL THE TIME. They deserves hate IMO. My types are Sakura from Naruto and Asuka from NGE.

I rather like first two types, and really hate the third one.
Well, my favourites are almost always Yamato Nadeshiko, or just a Genki type of girl ;)

Jun 22, 2012 1:14 PM

Kitsu-nee said:

3. Ones that are tsun-tsun ALL THE WAY, ALL THE TIME. They deserves hate IMO. My types are Sakura from Naruto and Asuka from NGE.

Tsun no dere isn't tsundere.
Sakura and Asuka had there dere moments.

Jun 22, 2012 3:46 PM

pendragonuzumaki said:
I have to agree with the OP. Girls with the cool and distant personalities are fine, but girls who get aggressive for no reason irritate the hell out of me, tsundere or not.
Tsunderes in general though annoy me. I much prefer a yandere or the emotionless type.

I agree with this.

Jun 22, 2012 4:04 PM

In more cases than not I hate them, especially when they obviously like the guy but every time I feel like something might happen between the couple the girl gets angry or violent. They get on my nerves and I don't see how it is supposed to be " cute" it just makes me dislike the character. So, no you are not alone at all.

Jun 22, 2012 4:10 PM

AcidIce said:
In more cases than not I hate them, especially when they obviously like the guy but every time I feel like something might happen between the couple the girl gets angry or violent. They get on my nerves and I don't see how it is supposed to be " cute" it just makes me dislike the character. So, no you are not alone at all.

There are two reactions to the tsun part; if the male likes the female he'll pretty much ignore the roughness and push on. Or if the male dislike the female he'll get pissed, mad, and like the female even less. Both reactions work for the male character and the audience.

Also hint: The tsun part isn't the part people generally call "cute."

Jun 22, 2012 4:13 PM

read the part about tsunderes on my profile

and theres difference between tsunderes and between bitches

tsundere = asuka from NGE
bitch = asuka from NGE remake

tsundere = nagi sanzenin
bitch = taiga bitch from toradora
lots of music -

Jun 22, 2012 4:14 PM

i like the tsundere character in Steins Gate
If you could attain the thing you desire most in life, would you sacrifice anything to obtain it?

Jun 22, 2012 9:53 PM

I don't like tsunderes normally.
Except for Kyou from Clannad, Mikoto from Railgun, and Makise from Steins;Gate.

Because they are either
A) So annoying
B) Abusive girls
Or even both lol.

Jun 23, 2012 3:22 AM

I have nothing against tsundere characters if they have other traits as well. But if the girl's only trait, only characteristic is being tsundere, then the character's just horrible to me.

Besides, male tsundere characters are often better and funnier. Example: Seto Kaiba.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Jun 23, 2012 4:08 AM

Anime_Name said:
Kitsu-nee said:

Tsun no dere isn't tsundere.
Sakura and Asuka had there dere moments.

Agree, they had "dere" moments, and that's why I wrote that they are Tsundere. I meant more that they are since the begining till the end really rude/violent/tsun-tsun, and just once for like a 100 episodes (like Sakura) or in one/two episodes in whole series (like Asuka), authors put them into dere mood. If I didn't like them at begining, I won't find them cute later... They are just bitches IMO.

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »